Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > Halls of Lordaeron

Old 07-18-2016, 07:44 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganishka View Post
Don't forget all of that "great" Trump merchandise made in... China?

You're definition of "terrible" isn't very good if you think that Bush is worse than Trump.
Jeb still gave a very poor show. He was very mediocre and gave a limp wristed performance. Maybe if Donald hadn't been in play but I doubt it
Old 07-18-2016, 08:30 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
Off the top of my head, Chile, Georgia and Iceland.
Isn't Iceland part of Europe? Though yeah, Chile is definitely correct. I believe Morocco and Algeria also have pretty low murder rates (though Algeria was torn by violence during the '90s, and may go back to that after Bouteflika dies--Morocco's in decent shape, however).

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 07-18-2016, 08:33 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol'Yoggy View Post
Jeb still gave a very poor show. He was very mediocre and gave a limp wristed performance. Maybe if Donald hadn't been in play but I doubt it
Before we knew Trump was a credible threat, a lot of us automatically rejected Bush because enough of his family had been president already. He should've never been in the race.

The old joke was: are we gonna elect Clinton II or Bush III?
Old 07-18-2016, 08:35 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
Before we knew Trump was a credible threat, a lot of us automatically rejected Bush because enough of his family had been president already. He should've never been in the race.

The old joke was: are we gonna elect Clinton II or Bush III?
Despite my earlier comment, I must admit that I felt very little enthusiasm for Bush. Dynastic candidates aren't necessarily worse than a caudillo like Trump, but they're far from an ideal choice.

Speaking of which, I do find it interesting that Trump's style is so reminiscent of a Latin American strongman's. One sees the echoes of De Rosas, Santa Ana, and Chavez in his rhetoric and even some of his policies--xenophobic and protectionist as they are. Perhaps it is the way of things; as Latin America breaks free from the populist stranglehold, the yanqui submits to the same.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"

Last edited by HlaaluStyle; 07-18-2016 at 08:43 PM..
Old 07-18-2016, 08:46 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mertico View Post
Some people consider Georgia to be in Europe. Iceland has a huge suicide rate thanks to winters. Chile is correct.
I'm not sure if suicide counts as a "crime", especially in Iceland.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:50 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by HlaaluStyle View Post
Despite my earlier comment, I must admit that I felt very little enthusiasm for Bush. Dynastic candidates aren't necessarily worse than a caudillo like Trump, but they're far from an ideal choice.

Speaking of which, I do find it interesting that Trump's style is so reminiscent of a Latin American strongman's. One sees the echoes of De Rosas, Santa Ana, and Chavez in his rhetoric and even some of his policies--xenophobic and protectionist as they are. Perhaps it is the way of things; as Latin America breaks free from the populist stranglehold, the yanqui submits to the same.
Now if only we had a wall to help negate the negative aspects of cultural enrichment...
Old 07-18-2016, 10:05 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
Now if only we had a wall to help negate the negative aspects of cultural enrichment...
The immigrants aren't the ones voting for the caudillo.

They may be voting for the corrupt kleptomaniac, but not the caudillo.

Old 07-18-2016, 10:14 PM

Banished

They're voting to drag down America's National IQ through a loose border.
Old 07-18-2016, 10:32 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by HlaaluStyle View Post
The immigrants aren't the ones voting for the caudillo.

They may be voting for the corrupt kleptomaniac, but not the caudillo.
/shrug..

I wasnt trying to be accurate. Only snappy.

Which I fail at..
Old 07-18-2016, 10:59 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Ganishka #1520

Oh, wow. Lazyass speechwriters! You gotta love them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Baras
A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel MY ANGER!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowordfun
The next time you feel like you're about to be triggered, put the barrel in your mouth.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:37 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post
Then perhaps American culture is due for a reformation, if it's going to stay on top, because it's not setting an especially good example to the rest of the world.

And, as I've said several times in the past, I doubt that the US' extreme issues with crime has got to do with diversity more than it has to do with quite a large number of people living in squalor in shitty neighbourhoods, with little to no chances of breaking away. It's desperation that makes people turn to crime. Add to that a mentality among the law enforcement to fight fire with fire, and you pretty much get to where we are today.
I don't think that is the reason people turn to crime. It isn't like most instances of people stealing are doing so for food. The reasons people turn to crime is the same reason they are poor. It requires a certain determination, fiscal discipline, and foresight to become wealthy. You have to take opportunities that are given to you. There are people who are far poorer than what you will find in the US but they are far more appreciative of life and law abiding. Poverty is a relative term.

Murder and rape aren't acts of desperation. When one gang member kills a rival gang member it isn't to put food on the table. They don't have an investment in their community or any respect for it. It is the culture they grew up in. Better role models and family figures would go far but it is a very difficult proposition especially when these people are already adults. People can invest more in their neighborhoods or invest in themselves to get away but they don't want to. They weren't raised with that sort of will. Petty criminals and people who can't hold a job and thus remain in poverty simply didn't grasp the opportunities that came to them.

Our issues are hardly extreme and have actually been getting better and are almost to our 1950s low. They are better than other nations who have the same demographics we do. Latin America has horrible crime. They are also very heterogeneous. I don't see why the US should be compared to nations who are more homogeneous and have been settled for hundreds if not thousands of years when it comes to crime. There needs to be that sense of community and investment. People need that sense of belonging or purpose or they will resort to anti-social behavior. Just look where the violent crime in the US is and where it is not. It isn't a broad or holistic phenomenon. I wasn't at risk of being shot or mugged growing up in suburbia.
Old 07-19-2016, 05:20 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
I'm not sure if suicide counts as a "crime", especially in Iceland.
You're right, just a lot of people dying.

Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD3oB_3fiW4

Maybe it's time to accept Trump so Hillary doesn't win?
Old 07-19-2016, 05:33 AM

Elune

Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD3oB_3fiW4

It's something out of South Park. They just didn't care.
Old 07-19-2016, 05:47 AM

Elune

Quote:
But I really don't like Trump. I want to see him and Reince Priebus fail/resign. I want to read the article of him spewing his mouth after he loses. I hope his reputation is tarnished after this and it negatively impacts his business. This was a great opportunity to turn things around after the Obama years. There was a lot of good candidates that could have beaten Clinton and had the backing of congress. He went and ruined it by being the most unpopular nominee ever and turning the election into a lose/lose situation. He brings so many other people down with him. I really wanted change and now that isn't even a possibility for another 4 years because of Trump.

It isn't like Clinton can do much with a congress that keeps her in check anyways. They won't pass anything she has on her website.
Old 07-19-2016, 07:39 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
But I really don't like Trump. I want to see him and Reince Priebus fail/resign. I want to read the article of him spewing his mouth after he loses. I hope his reputation is tarnished after this and it negatively impacts his business. This was a great opportunity to turn things around after the Obama years. There was a lot of good candidates that could have beaten Clinton and had the backing of congress. He went and ruined it by being the most unpopular nominee ever and turning the election into a lose/lose situation. He brings so many other people down with him. I really wanted change and now that isn't even a possibility for another 4 years because of Trump.

It isn't like Clinton can do much with a congress that keeps her in check anyways. They won't pass anything she has on her website.
Congress couldn't keep her in check as SoS. She wasn't charged with what is basically treason. Why would she be controllable as president?
Old 07-19-2016, 10:06 AM

Elune
BattleTag: DrRobert#1475

The cognitive dissonance in this thread and elsewhere from this shitstorm would be hella funny if it weren't so sad.
Now imagine a music, dear readers, heavy with cellos at a rapid staccato. Cellos held between thighs in a dark room. The little room of Harry's chest as he walks with his teammates to the opening gate of his first Test of Cribbage. They are a rag-tag group of champions, this bunch, and with Harry, the near-perfect new god, they know they will dominate the day. Harry is a world laced with rivers of wizardly blood. He is ready.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:27 AM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Congress couldn't keep her in check as SoS. She wasn't charged with what is basically treason. Why would she be controllable as president?
Right now there are two terrible candidates.

If Trump wins, there will be two terrible candidates in four years (Trump and a democrat) and we'll be in the same boat.

If Hillary wins, we might have a good Republican candidate. It's planning for the longterm.

...except for the Justices.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:43 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saranus View Post
The cognitive dissonance in this thread and elsewhere from this shitstorm would be hella funny if it weren't so sad.
How so?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:47 AM

Elune
BattleTag: DrRobert#1475

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
How so?
Like it would be funny if it were a fictional story, but it's actually real life so it's kinda scary.

And here's this: Colbert roasting the RNC dressed as Flickerman from the Hunger Games.

Now imagine a music, dear readers, heavy with cellos at a rapid staccato. Cellos held between thighs in a dark room. The little room of Harry's chest as he walks with his teammates to the opening gate of his first Test of Cribbage. They are a rag-tag group of champions, this bunch, and with Harry, the near-perfect new god, they know they will dominate the day. Harry is a world laced with rivers of wizardly blood. He is ready.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:48 AM

Elune

Quote:
Nope. You wanted him, you got him.

I don't give a shit if Hillary wins. It's the fault of the Trump voters and Trump himself. They think they can win without Conservatives? They can go ahead and prove it.

Quote:
Quote:
The next time you feel like you're about to be triggered, put the barrel in your mouth.
Old 07-19-2016, 12:53 PM

Arch-Druid

Trump and his followers ARE conservatives. They're just the unhinged radical ones with no filter.

Trump came to power entirely because a lot of conservatives agreed with his message
Old 07-19-2016, 02:06 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol'Yoggy View Post
Trump and his followers ARE conservatives. They're just the unhinged radical ones with no filter.

Trump came to power entirely because a lot of conservatives agreed with his message
That's called "guilt by association", and you do it a lot.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-19-2016, 02:27 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
Right now there are two terrible candidates.

If Trump wins, there will be two terrible candidates in four years (Trump and a democrat) and we'll be in the same boat.

If Hillary wins, we might have a good Republican candidate. It's planning for the longterm.

...except for the Justices.
There is nothing to suggest that the Republicans wouldn't just put up another Jeb, Romney, or McCain. In fact, it is quite the opposite.

Quote:
Nope. You wanted him, you got him.

I don't give a shit if Hillary wins. It's the fault of the Trump voters and Trump himself. They think they can win without Conservatives? They can go ahead and prove it.
I see you hate law and order then and possibly the Constitution.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:33 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saranus View Post
Like it would be funny if it were a fictional story, but it's actually real life so it's kinda scary.

And here's this: Colbert roasting the RNC dressed as Flickerman from the Hunger Games.

https://youtu.be/WFjDBvRxcbM
2016.. The year of dystopian leaders and Pokémon becoming reality.

It's only a matter of time before giant robots fight off alien invaders piloted by half naked cat girls
Old 07-19-2016, 02:46 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
That's called "guilt by association", and you do it a lot.
So does literally everyone else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.

Tags
politics, serious business, sylvanas for president