Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > Halls of Lordaeron

Old 06-07-2018, 10:54 PM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Is it still too early to call out donnie's bad "promises" donnie made or was interpreted to have made?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
Trump wants universal healthcare.

You will have healthcare.
Member #14
Old 06-08-2018, 01:47 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
The polarization has gotten ridiculous. Purity tests everywhere on all sides. Everyone has retreated into their echo chambers and only gets word of "the other side" when it's a screenshot of a tumblr or 4chan post of the most ridiculous, strawman-like position that perfectly opposes what "your side" stands for to show exactly how bad "the other side" is. The internet has both segregated and brought people together in terrible ways.
Echo chambers and strawmanning are a big part of it, yes. While the internet in general carries a lot of the blame there are other technological factors which have allowed people to exist without being part of the general community and this also feeds polarization. Finally the US always did have those underlying tensions as well.
Living in an age of rapid technological change it behooves all people to think more on the negative consequences technology has on us as a society and individuals and make a concerted effort to minimize those.

Or you know we can be complacent aholes and go as the tide carries us as we have so far.
Old 06-11-2018, 06:56 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Millenia#1386

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
Hah, really says a lot about the state of US politics when half the country is absolutely convinced the whole world is run by Putin and the other think the Clintons are part of a murderous, pedophile, cannibal cult.

You guys really need to pull your heads out of your asses and start talking to each other again or this insane polarization may well blow up your country one day.
There's nothing to talk about when the other side denies you or your loved ones' basic humanity.

I've spent a good chunk of time in a Discord full of Trump supporters. One of them had a total meltdown after Charlottesville because of the sheer dissonance between "alt-right = good" and "killing people = bad" and ended up leaving. Another one very reasonably is against police brutality, and is for basic universal income, but that's really the only middle ground we've ever actually found; she was also incapable of realizing that "virtue signalling" was something conservatives and religious people did as well, such as naming their children after literal virtues.

Beyond that last person, the rest of them saw no problem with white supremacist infiltration of law enforcement, and were using SJWs as boogeymen.

I got kicked after I pointed out the hypocrisy between how they're very afraid of SJWs but don't seem to care all that much about white supremacists, especially by focusing how they wouldn't suffer all that much if the white supremacists somehow managed to 'take over' (presupposing that the current government structure isn't actually full of it), whereas SJWs taking over would lead to... less tiddies in games?

They also of course called trans people the usual bullshit ('mental illness', 'mutilating their bodies', etc) that conservatives say, despite the evidence that transsexual brains are physically different. If they won't even treat half my friendship circle with dignity, why should I bother?

They also couldn't fathom/admit the possibility of Trump ever making a mistake, even when I led with all the problems I had with Hillary.

The Alliance's three rules on faction conflict:
1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.
3) You can't leave the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustrum View Post
Because if a storyteller is doing his job, he makes you care. And if that storyteller then says "I dunno, then they stopped fighting, I guess," without any explanation or clarification, his audience has every right to be pissed off. Because they were given reason to stay interested, reason to keep up with his tale, only to be shut down just as things were getting good. A waste of time, a waste of emotional tension, a waste, if you fail to grasp the significance of narrative, of money.

Last edited by Millenia; 06-11-2018 at 06:59 AM..
Old 06-11-2018, 08:43 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenia View Post
There's nothing to talk about when the other side denies you or your loved ones' basic humanity.

I've spent a good chunk of time in a Discord full of Trump supporters. One of them had a total meltdown after Charlottesville because of the sheer dissonance between "alt-right = good" and "killing people = bad" and ended up leaving. Another one very reasonably is against police brutality, and is for basic universal income, but that's really the only middle ground we've ever actually found; she was also incapable of realizing that "virtue signalling" was something conservatives and religious people did as well, such as naming their children after literal virtues.

Beyond that last person, the rest of them saw no problem with white supremacist infiltration of law enforcement, and were using SJWs as boogeymen.

I got kicked after I pointed out the hypocrisy between how they're very afraid of SJWs but don't seem to care all that much about white supremacists, especially by focusing how they wouldn't suffer all that much if the white supremacists somehow managed to 'take over' (presupposing that the current government structure isn't actually full of it), whereas SJWs taking over would lead to... less tiddies in games?

They also of course called trans people the usual bullshit ('mental illness', 'mutilating their bodies', etc) that conservatives say, despite the evidence that transsexual brains are physically different. If they won't even treat half my friendship circle with dignity, why should I bother?

They also couldn't fathom/admit the possibility of Trump ever making a mistake, even when I led with all the problems I had with Hillary.
Eh.

I could break it down and point out all the places where I think you are mistaken but I don't want a long, drawn out argument. Suffice it to say that this kind of "the other side is worthless and subhuman" thinking arises from increased polarization. Because one person says something shitty, outraging the other side who do something even more shitty and that keeps going in a vicious cycle because if there is no communication there is no positive improvement when people remind themselves they are all quite similar humans living in a shared culture.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:36 PM

Elune

What's the point of communicating? If my friends can't be treated as people, why should I go sit down and talk with assholes? Not everyone has the patience and charisma of Daryl Davis. Beyond that, his actions probably only work in real life.

You can sit me down with any of the forum's Christians for a month, and I will never understand why they're Christian. Likewise I doubt I can sit down with any people here who are of the "transgender people are mentally ill" crowd and convince them my trans friends are women.

1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.

Quote:
Because if a storyteller is doing his job, he makes you care. And if that storyteller then says "I dunno, then they stopped fighting, I guess," without any explanation or clarification, his audience has every right to be pissed off. Because they were given reason to stay interested, reason to keep up with his tale, only to be shut down just as things were getting good. A waste of time, a waste of emotional tension, a waste, if you fail to grasp the significance of narrative, of money.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:47 PM

Elune

This is why we need protections against corporations. We need limits on what they have control over. But no, every time it's "They're a private corporation! They can do what they want! They don't have to bake the fucking cake!"
https://nypost.com/2018/06/11/gun-bu...alts-payments/
Member #14
Old 06-11-2018, 10:34 PM

Elune

Quote:
What's the point of communicating? If my friends can't be treated as people, why should I go sit down and talk with assholes? Not everyone has the patience and charisma of Daryl Davis. Beyond that, his actions probably only work in real life.

You can sit me down with any of the forum's Christians for a month, and I will never understand why they're Christian. Likewise I doubt I can sit down with any people here who are of the "transgender people are mentally ill" crowd and convince them my trans friends are women.
Yes it sucks and yes it is painful and draining to engage people who have different values than you especially when the gap between you has grown to a chasm, but it is also the only way. Otherwise those people (and your people) will just make a totem of the other side's beliefs from the most crazy extremists they can find and become even more radicalized, without communication it is very easy to forget we are all people, 95% we want the same things. As said before internet just exacerbates things by making echo-chambers. So yeah, you can do the hard thing and maybe make things a little better or you can throw up your hands and let things freewheel until the inevitable crash, it is not a fun choice but there you have it.

PS. What kind of discord were you on? Where this all happened?
Old 06-12-2018, 08:12 PM

Elune

Myth vs Fact: Homelessness

History gets a conservative twist in Michigan social studies standards

The Trump Administration Is Going After Naturalized Citizens Now

Quote:
This is why we need protections against corporations. We need limits on what they have control over. But no, every time it's "They're a private corporation! They can do what they want! They don't have to bake the fucking cake!"
https://nypost.com/2018/06/11/gun-bu...alts-payments/
Intuit should have been upfront about not dealing with gun-related businesses.

But it is amusing to see the gun people getting inconvenienced.

Especially since they're so blindly pro-gun they'd vote for politicians who are all for letting corporations get away with murder.

Quote:
Yes it sucks and yes it is painful and draining to engage people who have different values than you especially when the gap between you has grown to a chasm, but it is also the only way. Otherwise those people (and your people) will just make a totem of the other side's beliefs from the most crazy extremists they can find and become even more radicalized, without communication it is very easy to forget we are all people, 95% we want the same things. As said before internet just exacerbates things by making echo-chambers. So yeah, you can do the hard thing and maybe make things a little better or you can throw up your hands and let things freewheel until the inevitable crash, it is not a fun choice but there you have it.
Too much work, and the other side is far too evil. Hope they choke to death on their opioids and coal and self-inflicted gunshot wounds.

Quote:
PS. What kind of discord were you on? Where this all happened?
A friend's friend's discord. I don't even remember the name, it's been over a year since I was booted.

1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.

Quote:
Old 06-13-2018, 03:18 AM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
You are more than welcome to take over duties as Speaker of the House and see how far you get with the Democrats and Republicans, including their hardlined Freedom Caucus.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:17 PM

Elune

Quote:
Intuit should have been upfront about not dealing with gun-related businesses.

But it is amusing to see the gun people getting inconvenienced.

Especially since they're so blindly pro-gun they'd vote for politicians who are all for letting corporations get away with murder.
"They"
Member #14
Old 06-15-2018, 08:05 PM

Elune

A Brief History of People Using Romans 13 to Justify White Supremacy

Reminder that Christians are, on the whole, evil.

1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.

Quote:
Old 06-16-2018, 03:39 AM

Guru of Gilneas

And then...
Quote:
You lost me.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:50 PM

Elune

1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.

Quote:
Old 06-19-2018, 04:59 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
A Brief History of People Using Romans 13 to Justify White Supremacy

You realize most blacks are religious right? Are we oppressing ourselves?

Quote:
Trump voters support Trump policies. In other news, I have a big .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:18 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
5 Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ.
6 Obey them not only to win their favor when their eye is on you, but as slaves of Christ, doing the will of God from your heart.
7 Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not people,
8 because you know that the Lord will reward each one for whatever good they do, whether they are slave or free.
Ephesians 6:5-8

But this part of the discussion should be in the religion thread.
Member #14
Old 06-20-2018, 03:31 AM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
But this part of the discussion should be in the religion thread.
Yeah, but slave owners also gave slaves Bibles that cut out everything about the liberation and freedom of slaves, including the exodus of the Hebrews out of Egypt. The Bible does not offer a singular voice about an issue. It is an entire Opera Saga and not just an extended Aria.
Old 06-23-2018, 11:27 AM

Elune

Fuck Decorum

Also fuck centrist Democrats, the spineless pieces of shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post

1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.

Quote:

Last edited by Millenia; 06-26-2018 at 09:53 PM..
Old 06-27-2018, 05:05 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Stncold#1786

A thought I just had is that with Kennedy's retirement, the possibility that Trump will have four appointees in his first term is quite real. As we all know Ginsburg is old and could go any day now, so that's three.

The fourth is that Thomas has expressed discontent with the job a few times now. I believe at one point he even said he wants to just ride around the country in an RV going to college football games. He's a big fan of Trump and might do what I believe Ginsburg should have done. Step down and allow Trump to bring in a younger(possibly black) conservative to take his place before the Dems could wind up taking over in 2020.
Old 06-27-2018, 05:25 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

And I was having such a nice evening too. Thanks for that Yorenec.

Why wasn't Obama allowed to appoint a judge again?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 06-27-2018, 06:44 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
And I was having such a nice evening too. Thanks for that Yorenec.

Blatant obstruction and disrespect for the Constitution.
Member #14
Old 06-28-2018, 12:22 AM

World Builder

Between the changes to the supreme court and the obvious erasure of history in our classrooms I am terrified of the fate of the mind and soul of our country, I feel powerless, what the hell can be done to stop this insanity?

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 06-28-2018, 05:48 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
He was a Democrat.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:24 AM

Elune

I just want trans people to have their healthcare paid for by taxes so they have more money to pay for unregistered fully automatic weapons which they can use to protect their recreational marijuana plants from corrupt cops so they can sell their crop to afford luxuries that their universal basic income doesn't quite cover.
Is that so much to ask?
Member #14
Old 06-29-2018, 07:42 AM

Elune

Quote:
I just want trans people to have their healthcare paid for by taxes so they have more money to pay for unregistered fully automatic weapons which they can use to protect their recreational marijuana plants from corrupt cops so they can sell their crop to afford luxuries that their universal basic income doesn't quite cover.
Is that so much to ask?
I am afraid you will have to wait brother, wait for

FULLY

AUTOMATED

LUXURY

GAY

SPACE

COMMUNISM
Old 06-29-2018, 06:59 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Stncold#1786

If I were to put any sizable amount of money down on a pick, it'd be Amy Coney Barrett. She's in her mid-40's, spent time as a clerk to Scalia, beloved by Evangelicals, has already been through a Senate confirmation where she had the support of all Republicans(and a few democrats), pretty well-liked, and a white woman. It's not only a near-perfect recipe for Trump to troll the shit out of the Left but to also get her in before mid-terms.

If not her, then probably Brett Kavanaugh.

Last edited by Yorenec; 06-29-2018 at 08:29 PM..

Tags
politics, serious business, sylvanas for president