Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 06-03-2017, 01:06 PM

Troubadour
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

Default What is locked away under the Tomb of Sargeras?

Morgan Day says that the Tomb of Sargeras is a Titan prison.

Y'shaarj was extracted at the Well of Eternity's location, but his heart was imprisoned on the Vale of Eternal Blossoms. (see map)

So that means the "N'Zoth" marking on the map might be related to either place of defeat or place of imprisonment.

The theory is:
  1. Given that a big battle happened at the Tomb's location ("I don't believe these lands have seen such carnage since the Battle for K'tanth. Such a long time ago...")
  2. Given that it served to commune with Elune
  3. Given that knaifu can make the spriest suicide to Elune
  4. Given that knaifu calls Elune an upstart goddess in 7.2 (so the battle of K'tanth might be related to Elune)
  5. Given that it was a place of power that drew the attention of the black empire, then the trolls, then the elves (Temple of Elune), only to serve as the Tomb of Sargeras, and in the end to open up a portal to Argus

Well, having a second lock would also be weird, like a lock on ToS/ToE that opens up a second lock on NZoth's prison... unless it's not an Old God facility, but an actually power facility like Xal'atath says.

In that case, he pillars would basically just unlock a locus of power, one that must be kept away from the surface because otherwise it would be an important asset to be gathered by the forces of the Black Army.

I thought initially of a "second" Well of Eternity, or something like that.

The Temple of Elune having been built there suggests that either the Elves had the ability to tap into said locked locus of power, or that the locus of power could connect them to Elune.

Trolls probably thought there was a loa in the location.

So that leads me to...

The theory:

The Puzzle Box of Yogg Saron does whisper: At the bottom of the ocean even light must die.

Elune was fighting the Void and then she gets struck down to almost a shell of her former self, making her run away in the universe and hiding in Azeroth until someone can come up and restore her. Or maybe actually hiding in Azeroth because the World Soul can restore her.

The semi-dead Elune would be locked by the Pillars of Creation in order to prevent the Old Gods from absorbing her and getting their sweet AP/trait 500.

The "Shell of Elune" would be the locus of power that attracted the trolls and later on she had a temple built for her there.

Because, well, the Elves would be able to commune with Elune in the temple where the shell was. Because it was actually Elune there, just in shell form.

So, by releasing the Shell of Elune we stop the demon invasion with her help,
locking or destroying the portal to Argus.

The giant facility is probably using Azeroth's blood (Well of Eternity) to keep Elune's prison active.

And well, the only way this theory can work is that if she came in a form that would require work and effort to be absorbed, with loads of protection.

That's why she was able to make Ysera into a constellation, because they were actually close.

Last edited by Krainz; 06-04-2017 at 06:52 AM..
Old 06-03-2017, 02:35 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

A shitty excuse to make us go there, because lore landmark.

They could have said something like "they're trying to revive the avatar of Sargeras that's why we go down" but nope, bullshit excuse is the way to go.

It should have remained what it was during W3: A random temple used by Aegwynn as prison. If you want to go further, I could agree to having the tomb be a tomb-prison for more stuff than just Sargeras, but that's it.

Goddamn it Blizzard.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 06-03-2017, 04:21 PM

Elune

My ex-wife.

Seriously, though, it's probably N'zoth.
Old 06-03-2017, 04:28 PM

Revenant - Moderator

It is a night elf temple built on top of a titan prison built on top of an Old God altar, so... something.

At the bottom of the Temple, the Eye of Aman'thul is used to create a portal to Argus from the Felstorm instead of shutting it off.

From a narrative perspective, it would be kind of odd to jump to Argus while N'Zoth is breaking out.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.
Old 06-03-2017, 04:54 PM

Arch-Druid

It's not N'Zoth, his prison on Chronicle's map is west of Uldaman and southeast of the Well. That puts him south of Suramar, closer to Vashj'ir.

Back when Legion was first announced Afrasiabi said there was some wound in the earth that the night elves used the Pillars to seal before they built the tomb, so based on "Y'Shaarj fought N'Zoth" it was probably just some Void-spewing crevasse or something.

I have to agree with Lon-ami that making it anything more than the place where the Avatar was locked feels really unnecessary. It was important enough as it was with "just" that. Not everything needs to be tied to the Old Gods.
Old 06-03-2017, 06:05 PM

Eternal

I don't think you guys are getting this very well.

We all know Chronicle establishes N'Zoth more or less at Vashj'ir, but there are two possibilities:

- N'Zoth stretches all the way to the Tomb, which we know isn't far-fetched due to a) Yogg-Saron having stretched all over Northrend and b) Xal'atath mentioning things the 'Legion wouldn't like" deep beneath Azsuna.

- The map shows the location where N'Zoth fell, and not where he was imprisoned.

Now, all of that is not even the main point: the core of the theory is that Elune lies beneath the Tomb, in a quasi-dead state. Now, this could also be an answer for Xal'atath's quote above.
Old 06-03-2017, 06:53 PM

Druid of the Talon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethenil View Post
- The map shows the location where N'Zoth fell, and not where he was imprisoned.
No. It's a map of their prisons. It's after the Ordering of Azeroth finished.
Old 06-04-2017, 12:03 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Thrall's balls.
Old 06-04-2017, 12:36 AM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
No. It's a map of their prisons. It's after the Ordering of Azeroth finished.
Perhaps, though one might note that the pre-Ordering map of the Black Empire also places their names over those specific positions rather than in the centers of their respective territories, which would be the more logical way to do it. Yogg-Saron's name is at the top of Northrend, C'thun's is in SW Silithus, Y'shaarj's is in the center of the continent, and N'zoth's is printed in the westerly "branch" of his territory that pokes in toward Y'shaarj's, almost separated from the rest of his lands. Such placement suggests that these locations were the spots where each Old God was itself "rooted" into Azeroth.

Since they were huge mountains of flesh embedded in the planet's crust rather than terrestrially mobile entities, their positions on Azeroth when they ruled there are probably the same locations as their prisons.
Old 06-04-2017, 12:53 AM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Considering both the implosion of the well and the cataclysm, N'zoth's prison may not be where we think it is. The continental plates could've migrated or major landmarks could've been created/moved/destroyed. It's completely possible the Broken Isles is the tomb.

Alternate theory, Xal'atath really is the fifth Old God that the others killed/consumed, and its place of death left a similar, if smaller wound to that of the Well of Eternity.

Also, tangential to the above and more ontrack with the primary discussion, we know the Titans sealed something away and we know Xal'atath pushes the SP to sacrifice his/herself. Would Elune's blessing be what Knaifu was trying to corrupt? I doubt a goddess is going to be hiding in the skin of a nascent Titan, but maybe Elune was the only individual powerful enough to seal away a portion of the Black Empire/C'thraxxi? If someone came along and willingly "turned the key" by sacrificing themselves, then the only thing left to prevent the beings from coming out would be the Pillars themselves.

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Old 06-04-2017, 06:53 AM

Troubadour
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

Worth of note: somebody pointed this out somewhere else

Quote:
The Puzzle Box of Yogg Saron does whisper: At the bottom of the ocean even light must die.
Old 06-04-2017, 07:01 AM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mertico View Post
My ex-wife.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:10 AM

Elune

I wonder if there is a hint somewhere that was missed.
Old 06-04-2017, 01:15 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mertico View Post
I wonder if there is a hint somewhere that was missed.
I think it is more an issue of all the hints (Xal'atath, Il'gynoth, Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron) being so vague.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Ten.

Years.
Old 06-04-2017, 02:22 PM

Sentinel Queen

I don't know if Elune is somewhere around here.

What we do know is that the tomb is where the Pillars of Creation were used to protect the " young world soul against Madness and Corruption ( Old gods related ) if Aegwynn is to be believed when she says that at the end of CoEN

BTW, why does a Cathedral related to Elune is named " Cathedral of the Eternal Night " ?

Quote:
Nothing, this is Scrolls of Lore, every conversation on here slowly distills down to Sylvanas, Lorderon or Worgen. I'm pretty sure that theres a mathematical truth to this.
Old 06-04-2017, 02:30 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by engal View Post
BTW, why does a Cathedral related to Elune is named " Cathedral of the Eternal Night " ?
The moon is associated with night.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Quote:
Ten.

Years.
Old 06-04-2017, 04:35 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
I think it is more an issue of all the hints (Xal'atath, Il'gynoth, Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron) being so vague.
Possibly. You could ask if the Old Gods like what is down there or not.
Old 06-04-2017, 04:54 PM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by engal View Post

Because the Moon is visible at night and Night elves are/were nocturnal?
Old 06-05-2017, 04:33 AM

Sentinel Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenyaArikado View Post
Because the Moon is visible at night and Night elves are/were nocturnal?
I am an idiot xD

But that still makes me wonder if Elune is not the source of all the void and light ( being both at the same time , two side of a same coin ) , that's a subject for another topic though

Quote:
Nothing, this is Scrolls of Lore, every conversation on here slowly distills down to Sylvanas, Lorderon or Worgen. I'm pretty sure that theres a mathematical truth to this.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:11 AM

Critter

Human Icon (War3)

Hello there, I have a question,
Quote:
Elune was fighting the Void and then she gets struck down to almost a shell of her former self, making her run away in the universe and hiding in Azeroth
What makes you think that Elune isn't from Azeroth and has ever wandered away?

Thanks!
Old 06-14-2017, 01:49 PM

Sentinel Queen

Elune supposedly created the Naaru .

Quote:
Old 06-14-2017, 01:58 PM

Critter

Human Icon (War3)

Ok I knew that was the reason and I don't buy that quote from Khadgar, it was dropped too lightly and it sounds wrong.

Last edited by Globin; 06-14-2017 at 02:07 PM..
Old 06-15-2017, 07:10 AM

Priestess of the Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globin View Post
Ok I knew that was the reason and I don't buy that quote from Khadgar, it was dropped too lightly and it sounds wrong.
Yeah, Khadgar says stupid shit all the time.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:56 AM

Sentinel Queen

If I take in consideration the light /void opposition, I may think that Nyalotah or something like that is under the tomb.

We have titan construction just under the Temple of Elune, and the Shadow priest daggers spoke about " The tower of sacrifice " in Nyalotah.

If there was such a Tower at this place, who would've probably been a tower to sacrifice beings to the Void Lords, why shouldn't we consider that the opposite was built upon it after, like.. A temple to the glory of Elune?

Quote:

Tags
speculation, warcraft