Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old Yesterday, 04:59 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

I'm starting the to think they'll just show a clip of The Wound along with a brief summary of what happened without spoiling everything, kind of like how the Cata announcement trailer was the first time we saw any footage of the ICC raid.
Old Yesterday, 05:25 PM

Arch-Druid

I agree with Levi and IGoD. I don't think talking about the next expansion means spoiling the ending of this one.
Old Yesterday, 06:26 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Joeygiggles#1104

Basically I see it going the way of ICC , while we are busy away, at home new evil lurks. The wound will be a tie in most likely
Old Yesterday, 07:03 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Guy of Doom View Post
I'm starting the to think they'll just show a clip of The Wound along with a brief summary of what happened without spoiling everything, kind of like how the Cata announcement trailer was the first time we saw any footage of the ICC raid.
I don't expect them to address the wound at all.
I bet the basic premise of next expansion won't have anything to do with it.

(Notice that I said "basic premise", not story)

- A better signature coming soon(ish).

Last edited by Deicide; Yesterday at 07:07 PM..
Old Yesterday, 07:24 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
I don't expect them to address the wound at all.
I bet the basic premise of next expansion won't have anything to do with it.

(Notice that I said "basic premise", not story)
It would be a change of pace from the last two expansions, where the final event of the expansion is the direct catalyst and major part of the story for the next one (Garrosh surviving and Kairoz doing time travel stuff, Gul'dan escaping from Draenor).
Old Yesterday, 08:34 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Nyarsz#1553

Having The Wound in Silithus wouldnt necessarily mean Azeroth is getting a massive makeover. If anything, it would mean they could make patch content around the gradual changes on surrounding areas. Like 8.1 and Un-goro changes, or 8.2 with Feralas gets huge massive changes (no one goes there anymore so thats okay), or the Wound rekting Uldum badly. At least thats how I would do it, if I want to give variety to the patches in a future expansion, while also using old content to create new. A massive overnight change to the entire continent is unlikely. Gradual change to the least visited areas for future patch content is more realistic.
Old Yesterday, 09:00 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

The more I think about it the more I think we're gonna get an underground expac, entering it through the wound in Silithus.

Blizz did a lot of worldbuilding and conception on the Black Empire in Chronicle, and I was present for some of the earliest meetings on the concept back when I was an intern. While Metzen isn't at the company anymore, he was super jazzed about the black empire to the point where I think it's not gonna be "just" a background faction. The Black Empire will be present in some form and be underground.

Plus there was the planned Azjol'Nerub zone for WotLK that they might want to revisit (if it wasn't turned into Deepholm in Cata)
Old Yesterday, 09:14 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Nyarsz#1553

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
The more I think about it the more I think we're gonna get an underground expac, entering it through the wound in Silithus.
The wound in Silithus reminds me of the Satan Morroc Storyline in Ragnarok Online. They basically destroyed a big city, and the rift a couple maps north became a high level monster zone, with said Satan Morroc Boss roaming it.

The biggest issue with an underground expansion would be: How do you handle so many dark colors? Sure, Deepholme has a variety of shiny rocks and whatnot, but an entire expansion of dark rocks and brown would have the same problem as having too much red in Firelands, or too much green in Legion-themed zones.
Old Yesterday, 09:21 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post

Blizz did a lot of worldbuilding and conception on the Black Empire in Chronicle, and I was present for some of the earliest meetings on the concept back when I was an intern. While Metzen isn't at the company anymore, he was super jazzed about the black empire to the point where I think it's not gonna be "just" a background faction. The Black Empire will be present in some form and be underground.

Plus there was the planned Azjol'Nerub zone for WotLK that they might want to revisit (if it wasn't turned into Deepholm in Cata)
There's also Malfurion's post-Xavius dialogue about hoping the Nightmare's defeat buys us time to recover from the Legion's invasion before the "Black Armies rise from the depths." That rather implies that had it continued unchecked, the Nightmare's spread would have expedited the emergence of a threat that's already coming anyway.
Old Yesterday, 09:21 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temo View Post
The wound in Silithus reminds me of the Satan Morroc Storyline in Ragnarok Online. They basically destroyed a big city, and the rift a couple maps north became a high level monster zone, with said Satan Morroc Boss roaming it.

The biggest issue with an underground expansion would be: How do you handle so many dark colors? Sure, Deepholme has a variety of shiny rocks and whatnot, but an entire expansion of dark rocks and brown would have the same problem as having too much red in Firelands, or too much green in Legion-themed zones.
That's like people being afraid Legion would have too much green and black but it ended up being pretty varied.

You could make a zone like the Pristine Waters part of Maraudon, a kind of "hollow earth" zone. You could also have a zone inside a giant titan machine with strong yellow or blue lighting, zones lit by incandescent crystals or bioluminescent fungus of plenty of different colors, I mean even Deepholm wasn't mostly brown.
Old Yesterday, 09:26 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temo View Post

Make the World-soul of Azeroth the skybox for some zones, brightly illuminating our surroundings? They could even play around with a subterranean parallel to deep-sea creatures, with bio-luminescent underground ecosystems and the like.

Moreover there could always be some submerged titan facilities to provide additional light and color variation.

Edit: Yeah, what Omacron said.

Hell, make an underground zone big enough and they could go full Journey to the Center of the Earth with underground oceans. Maybe even have some titan Keeper experimentation stuff like an artificial sun overhead vivifying ecosystems that otherwise couldn't live underground.

Last edited by ARM3481; Yesterday at 09:30 PM..
Old Yesterday, 09:45 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
Hell, make an underground zone big enough and they could go full Journey to the Center of the Earth with underground oceans. Maybe even have some titan Keeper experimentation stuff like an artificial sun overhead vivifying ecosystems that otherwise couldn't live underground.
I would love a full on "Journey to the Center of the Earth - Warcraft style" expansion.
Old Yesterday, 10:47 PM

Eternal

There's a doodad mentioning Sargeras' sword remaining in the wound so I doubt we'll go in there. Even if the sword was removed it would be just pure titan blood in there.

I could definitely see an underground expansion though, just elsewhere. I think Azjol'nerub still has hope to be that since its mentioned to spread across under Northrend so its fairly large. Bolvar is still around plus who knows what Kel'thuzad is doing.

They love nostalgia stuff as Cata/WoD and parts of Legion shows. Eventually they'll probably make a nostalgia expac for Wrath and Azjol'nerub would be perfect. Bring back the undead theme. Bring back Nerubians and their enslaved Tol'vir. Show Arachnathid and use whatever ideas they had for Scorpar on them.
Old Today, 12:34 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
Make the World-soul of Azeroth the skybox for some zones, brightly illuminating our surroundings? They could even play around with a subterranean parallel to deep-sea creatures, with bio-luminescent underground ecosystems and the like.

Moreover there could always be some submerged titan facilities to provide additional light and color variation.

Edit: Yeah, what Omacron said.

Yea with an underground type setting they could really go crazy with zone design kinda like the variation Outland had. Along with things you and Oma said we could also see things like a Aqir city as a setting

In general I like the idea of The Wound being our entryway to an area for next expansion. I do feel like that if anything it'd just be 1 zone though given the whole Kul Tiras thing. I also think the 'Voidelf' file naming is a hint for the next expac given past times Blizzards filenames more or less hinted things without us realizing it. Like the doodads named IronHorde during SoO.

Last edited by Leviathon; Today at 12:45 AM..
Old Today, 12:56 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe Stormstout View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
There are merely two weeks left till the big 8.0 BlizzCon reveal, and I feel like playing a little game with you. Let's try to guess 8.0's features, as advertised during BlizzCon, as accurately as possible!

Anyone interested? If so, I'll open a thread to keep tally and crown whoever's guesses are most accurate.
I think more customization options (facial hair, jewellery, tattoos, etc.), possibly alongside or as a part of subraces, is pretty likely.
Since there wasn't enough interest, I'll just reply here instead of opening a new thread.

Based on Alleria:
A fourth shadow based spec for certain classes or a completely new schadow ranger class.

Based on Lightforged:
Subraces or new customisation options for certain races.

Based on Demon Hunters:
New (sub?)races. Possibly Ethereals.

Based on patch 7.3:
An expansion featuring Kul Tiras with invasion-like portals into the void.

Baseless:
New golbin and worgen models.
Old Today, 01:34 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

I'd honestly be really annoyed if we aren't told worgen and goblins are getting new models given they've outright said they are a 'high priority' now.

Tags
world of warcraft, wow legion