Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Fan Works

Old 05-24-2012, 01:47 PM

Elune

Default Fanfiction question

When writing a story about someone who goes through many of the quest arcs of WoW, how many achievements are too many? For instance, I wouldn't write someone who was the sole killer of the Lich King, but I may write about someone who participated in the raid that killed him, among other possible events. Is this Suish, or is the fact that it wouldn't involve things that can't be done in-game enough to save it?
Old 05-24-2012, 01:57 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xilizhra View Post
When writing a story about someone who goes through many of the quest arcs of WoW, how many achievements are too many? For instance, I wouldn't write someone who was the sole killer of the Lich King, but I may write about someone who participated in the raid that killed him, among other possible events. Is this Suish, or is the fact that it wouldn't involve things that can't be done in-game enough to save it?
One way to think of it... the larger the number of "ordinary soldiers" at this raid/battle, the less unique it is that your character is one of them. And if your character is just one of many, offering his/her unique perspective, then it should be simple enough to avoid being a Mary Sue.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:58 PM

Elune

Just don't make the character the best of the best, the most brave of all, the most skilled of all, and the only survivor of all. Show that certain encounters like for example, Icecrown battle scarred him/her. Make him/her suffer from PTSD.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:58 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
One way to think of it... the larger the number of "ordinary soldiers" at this raid/battle, the less unique it is that your character is one of them. And if your character is just one of many, offering his/her unique perspective, then it should be simple enough to avoid being a Mary Sue.
Well, this'd be heroic 25-man equivalent, so yes, one of many.

Though I do kinda want her to get Invincible, which I think I'm a bit more worried about.

Quote:
Just don't make the character the best of the best, the most brave of all, the most skilled of all, and the only survivor of all. Show that certain encounters like for example, Icecrown battle scarred him/her. Make him/her suffer from PTSD.
One thing that I think might be more important than the Lich King is Yogg-Saron; I'm fairly sure she'll be highly traumatized by that fight. However, I'm not entirely sure the context of the Lich King's fall would necessarily be that traumatizing, involving Light-based miracles and such as it does.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:13 PM

Elune

Quote:
Well, this'd be heroic 25-man equivalent, so yes, one of many.

Though I do kinda want her to get Invincible, which I think I'm a bit more worried about.

One thing that I think might be more important than the Lich King is Yogg-Saron; I'm fairly sure she'll be highly traumatized by that fight. However, I'm not entirely sure the context of the Lich King's fall would necessarily be that traumatizing, involving Light-based miracles and such as it does.
As long as when you start the story you say something like "This is just a story and has no impact ingame blah blah" or something, if you're really worried about it, then you should be covered.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:19 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slywyn View Post
As long as when you start the story you say something like "This is just a story and has no impact ingame blah blah" or something, if you're really worried about it, then you should be covered.
All right, then.

Does anyone have any of their own in-game characters they'd want to have something written about? One more Horde and two more Alliance, possibly, though the Horde side will be more protagonisty (I'll endeavor to not make the Alliance look worse, however).
Old 05-24-2012, 05:58 PM

Revenant - Moderator

I used to think of WoW players as a single RTS unit, one of many, or some traveler who was part of a flow of people solving problems... Goblin and Forsaken questing blow that out of the water. So, while I dislike it, one character can be the racial leader's special friend, and not just one of many elite recruits or mercenaries.

Also, needless disclaimers are stupid.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:21 PM
Slowpokeking

A group of elite champions defeated him.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:42 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
I used to think of WoW players as a single RTS unit, one of many, or some traveler who was part of a flow of people solving problems... Goblin and Forsaken questing blow that out of the water. So, while I dislike it, one character can be the racial leader's special friend, and not just one of many elite recruits or mercenaries.

Also, needless disclaimers are stupid.
That's why I said include it if she cares.

If not, then don't bother about it.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:51 PM
Slowpokeking

Is that army mostly from the Alliance/Horde or Argent Crusade/Ebon Blade? I remember after Wrath Gate, the Alliance and Horde didn't have the strength to siege ICC directly anymore.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:32 PM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Your character takes time to heal and stay sane. They need vacations, or at least time away from the front. The average soldier goes through 2-3 tours of duty, 4-5 if they're in smaller army, which means you have to look at it as if your hero cannot and should not be everywhere at once. The better way to create a character is to give them other individuals to work off of "I know Yogg tore you apart man, but you weren't at Putress' lab, you didn't see the horrors they created...men I knew ripped apart and shoved into abominations." That's not to say they can't face multiple bosses or be apart of multiple dungeons, but that very few individuals face everything everywhere.

For instance, you can say your character fought both LK and Yogg, but they were a replacement unit to those who fought through other parts of Uldaman or Icecrown. They may have missed the Blood Council, but they still killed Putress...etc.

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:48 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
Your character takes time to heal and stay sane. They need vacations, or at least time away from the front. The average soldier goes through 2-3 tours of duty, 4-5 if they're in smaller army, which means you have to look at it as if your hero cannot and should not be everywhere at once. The better way to create a character is to give them other individuals to work off of "I know Yogg tore you apart man, but you weren't at Putress' lab, you didn't see the horrors they created...men I knew ripped apart and shoved into abominations." That's not to say they can't face multiple bosses or be apart of multiple dungeons, but that very few individuals face everything everywhere.

For instance, you can say your character fought both LK and Yogg, but they were a replacement unit to those who fought through other parts of Uldaman or Icecrown. They may have missed the Blood Council, but they still killed Putress...etc.
Wouldn't each entire raid consist of just one battle, though? That's rather less than a tour of duty.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:58 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Erthad #1438

Crossed Swords (War2)

Make a hateful, spiteful, vengeful, proud, and arrogant dwarf warrior who values gold, honor(in the you disrespect me I cut your head off way), and ancestors/family above all else.

I'd bet he'd be a great foil for a lot of your characters, that is if he survived 2 sentences.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:34 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erthad View Post
Make a hateful, spiteful, vengeful, proud, and arrogant dwarf warrior who values gold, honor(in the you disrespect me I cut your head off way), and ancestors/family above all else.

I'd bet he'd be a great foil for a lot of your characters, that is if he survived 2 sentences.
I'll work on that.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:02 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
Yeah...quests like that may be better for telling a story, but it's annoying if you want to think of yourself as more of a rank-and-file soldier or a relatively unknown adventurer. My characters only have backstories to make questing more interesting rather than for RP purposes, but I still get nitpicky over what counts as “canon” for them.

“Went to X outpost and killed some bears” is all well and good, but then...eh. With the ones where you have to kill named mobs, I usually try to imagine that it’s a group quest being represented as a solo quest for gameplay purposes. But it’s harder to do that when the quest text is gushing about how you singlehandedly saved the day and are everybody’s new best friend. I just don’t see any of my characters as being strong enough to wipe out an enemy camp and take out the commander on their own. :-/

And then, how do you deal with something like Andorhal? Do you assume your character knew about the truce? Could multiple Horde soldiers be aware of what happened to Koltira? Or did only one special adventurer on each side have any idea what was going on?

Quote:
As part of her story? Yeah, I don’t know about that. How famous is she supposed to be? Riding around on the Lich King's horse would make her pretty conspicuous.

Quote:
Does anyone have any of their own in-game characters they'd want to have something written about? One more Horde and two more Alliance, possibly, though the Horde side will be more protagonisty (I'll endeavor to not make the Alliance look worse, however).
Hm, did you have particular roles in mind? Brynma could at least crowd control any party members who tried to kill each other. Mage diplomacy at its finest.

Last edited by Bryn; 05-25-2012 at 11:04 AM..
Old 05-25-2012, 11:10 AM
Slowpokeking

I don't think Invincible will obey other people's command.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryn View Post

“Went to X outpost and killed some bears” is all well and good, but then...eh. With the ones where you have to kill named mobs, I usually try to imagine that it’s a group quest being represented as a solo quest for gameplay purposes. But it’s harder to do that when the quest text is gushing about how you singlehandedly saved the day and are everybody’s new best friend. I just don’t see any of my characters as being strong enough to wipe out an enemy camp and take out the commander on their own. :-/
You could be that strong, while WOW never actually let us know clearly about what position, what place we are on among our kind.

Last edited by Slowpokeking; 05-25-2012 at 11:12 AM..
Old 05-25-2012, 11:25 AM

Echo of the Past

In the future, Blizzard will probably just align the lore to give responsibility to certain individuals, during these major events.

Think of the killing of Medivh. Originally, the player and his unnamed forces were responsible. Now we know that the "quest" to kill Medivh was done by a Human Warrior (Lothar), a Human Mage (Khadgar), and an Orc Rogue (Garona).

I have little doubt that someday, Blizzard will tell us which lore heroes ended up killing each of the major bosses in World of Warcraft. And the "special friend" you've been playing as will be shaped into a lore character of their choosing.

In the meantime, write a fun fanfic.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:21 PM

Elune

Quote:
I plan to modify that sort of thing to more fit her general three-person team, when possible.

Quote:
And then, how do you deal with something like Andorhal? Do you assume your character knew about the truce? Could multiple Horde soldiers be aware of what happened to Koltira? Or did only one special adventurer on each side have any idea what was going on?
Actually, the old world Cataclysm stuff will be more handled by a new character, because my protagonist will likely be doing Cataclysm zones at the time (though there's some overlap during Hillsbrad).

Quote:
As part of her story? Yeah, I don’t know about that. How famous is she supposed to be? Riding around on the Lich King's horse would make her pretty conspicuous.
As famous as anyone with the Light of Dawn title would be, which is to say I'm not entirely sure, but probably fairly.

Quote:
Hm, did you have particular roles in mind? Brynma could at least crowd control any party members who tried to kill each other. Mage diplomacy at its finest.
I may have come up with more characters in the interim. I have an undead priest, blood elf warlock and goblin shaman (who joined the Horde earlier than usual, but I think that's all right given all the goblins the Horde had already) for the Horde protagonists, with a human paladin, Erthad's suggested dwarf warrior and a night elf druid for the Alliance friendly-to-lethal rivals.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:50 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Erthad #1438

Crossed Swords (War2)

Oh and it you are going to make that dwarf character I'd rather it not be Erthad, it is your choice though.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:51 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erthad View Post
Oh and it you are going to make that dwarf character I'd rather it not be Erthad, it is your choice though.
Any other preferences?
Old 05-25-2012, 09:33 PM

Eternal

Is your character undead? Orc? Tauren? I'm sure each race will react to the same events differently, which is another thing to keep in mind.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:17 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshadowz View Post
Is your character undead? Orc? Tauren? I'm sure each race will react to the same events differently, which is another thing to keep in mind.
The three protagonists are undead priest, blood elf warlock and goblin shaman. I think what I'll do for the Ulduar event is for the second two to be in sort of a relief team the comes in after the first team almost wipes killing Yogg-Saron; the second team then fights Algalon, though that'll happen offscreen.

Edit to include a question: would you want to see the priestess' sister make an appearance? Another Forsaken, this one a warlock, she's a bit of an adversary to the priestess; among other things, she outright hates the Forsaken as a race, considering them an evolutionary dead end, a seething mass of petty grievances that have destroyed any attempts to build a better future, and a complete waste of immortality. I've been having a hard time deciding where, if anywhere, she'd fit...

Last edited by Xilizhra; 05-25-2012 at 10:40 PM..
Old 05-26-2012, 10:04 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Edit to include a question: would you want to see the priestess' sister make an appearance? Another Forsaken, this one a warlock, she's a bit of an adversary to the priestess; among other things, she outright hates the Forsaken as a race, considering them an evolutionary dead end, a seething mass of petty grievances that have destroyed any attempts to build a better future, and a complete waste of immortality. I've been having a hard time deciding where, if anywhere, she'd fit...
I think it would be interesting to see that kind of dissent. Does she have plans to act on her hatred? If there’s a race/group that she thinks is more worthy than the Forsaken, maybe she could be part of a plot involving them.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:54 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryn View Post
I think it would be interesting to see that kind of dissent. Does she have plans to act on her hatred? If there’s a race/group that she thinks is more worthy than the Forsaken, maybe she could be part of a plot involving them.
Blood elves, largely.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:07 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Blood elves, largely.
Personally, I like the idea of a blood elf-loving Forsaken. (I have a Forsaken-loving blood elf who gets on her Forsaken friend’s nerves by romanticizing the undead and fangirling Sylvanas. )

You’ve got a blood elf in the party, so this character could interact with him/her as well as her sister. Especially since they’re both warlocks. Belflock could be flattered, amused, irritated, or creeped out by Deadlock. (If she thinks they’d be improved by undeath, I guess “creeped out” would be the most likely…)

The character could be used to explore blood elf/Forsaken relations in general. What she sees in the sin’dorei, how they react to her, why she continues to admire them despite the massive problems they had in BC…I don’t know if you’re doing anything with Quel’Delar or the San’layn, but maybe that stuff would interest her. And she could show up for the Wrathgate/Battle for the Undercity to contrast her reaction with her sister’s.