Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 01-10-2018, 10:40 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Default Lack of Moral Ambiguity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:44 AM

Priestess of the Moon

Not really sure which topic you're specifically talking about since the OP seems to be mixing character complexity with moral ambiguity.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:04 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
Not really sure which topic you're specifically talking about since the OP seems to be mixing character complexity with moral ambiguity.
Yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:55 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

I think he's got a point though I would not go so far as to say that Kalec, Farondis, or Jarod ruin my immersion. They are idealistic characters but I think that's okay to have in a fantasy world, even though I do not find any of them interesting.

But I do agree there should be more flawed and ambiguous characters in the setting. Greymane and Saurfang are good examples of flawed characters though I don't know if I'd outright call them ambiguous, they very clearly stand for good but it's more interesting that they weren't perfect in the past and care about wanting to become better than they once were.

I think Wrathion and Moira had potential to be good examples of more ambiguous characters, but I think Blizzard has ultimately just ruined both of them and now it seems like they don't really have any direction in the story.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:22 AM

Hippogryph Rider

Blizzard can't do "moral ambiguity" since:

1. If it's the Alliance it's either retconned up (Van Cleef, those Dwarves smashing around in Frostwolf territory), excused in-universe, or done by cartoon villains like Proudmoore and the Scarlet Crusaders.

2. If it's the Horde, then it's them eating babies with the Alliance getting chewed out for not trusting them for it. Doubly if it's Forsaken where they eat the babies, reanimate the leftovers, and unleash them on some random village while also plaguing it with Thrall and other Horde leaders just sitting there.

3. We get Illidan.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:38 AM

Troubadour
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacofonix View Post
Blizzard can't do "moral ambiguity"
Wrong. Odyn.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:33 AM

Mountain Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krainz View Post
Wrong. Odyn.
Yup. Odyn and Helya were very ambiguous on their Chronicle write-up. Legion gameplay undermined some of that, but it's still there.

Of the top of my mind, old man Magni was also a bit gray, with the entire Moira/Thaurissian situation.

I do have to admit the examples are not very common, but that comes with the very nature of the game. World of Warcraft, (though maybe not the entire WC franchise) is heroic high fantasy at its heart. Some kind of Manicheanism is to be expected.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:51 PM

Not Sure If Trolling...

It's mostly Metzen's fault, during his era it's mostly about "fight the big bad dude" so it's pure black and white. Either "follow the good guys" or "went completely mad".
Old 01-13-2018, 03:41 AM

Chimaera

Best "moral ambiguity" comes from actual clashes of ideals and interestes, but those are very hard to write well, especially when it comes to organizations and cultures, especially for someone whose knowledge and understanding of history is very limited. (This is, by the way, one of the reasons why Warcraft feels so claustrophobically individual.)

It also depends on the overall story. For example, the Empire in the Star Wars movies could've been portrayed much more positively, if flawed, but that would not have fit the story. Expedience is the key.

I think it's better to have no explicit "moral ambiguity" rather than some forced, amateur attempts at introducing it. There is a high chance to end up with "moral ambiguity" for the sake of "moral ambiguity", which is just terribly shallow and detrimental to the story as a whole. A simple but solid narrative will always be superior.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:40 PM

Not Sure If Trolling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thornedale View Post
Best "moral ambiguity" comes from actual clashes of ideals and interestes, but those are very hard to write well, especially when it comes to organizations and cultures, especially for someone whose knowledge and understanding of history is very limited. (This is, by the way, one of the reasons why Warcraft feels so claustrophobically individual.)

It also depends on the overall story. For example, the Empire in the Star Wars movies could've been portrayed much more positively, if flawed, but that would not have fit the story. Expedience is the key.

I think it's better to have no explicit "moral ambiguity" rather than some forced, amateur attempts at introducing it. There is a high chance to end up with "moral ambiguity" for the sake of "moral ambiguity", which is just terribly shallow and detrimental to the story as a whole. A simple but solid narrative will always be superior.
I will say RoC did well.

I believe that many people were attracted to WC lore because of WC3, which has a grey moral standards on many characters. But WOW, as the successor of the story pretty much ruined it by turning it into pure black and white conflict, at the same time ruined many efficient villains, turning them into laughable clowns. The Empire of SW were evil, but many of them are efficient and truly threatening. Which WOW failed to do so.

The inner conflict between the Alliance and the Horde was also suppressed too much other than the Forsaken. The night elves became more like the "little fella" of the humans for a while.

They started to focus on the conflict since Cata, but the best time has passed and many characters were wasted already.
Old 01-14-2018, 04:25 AM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:

Your mention of Empire Strikes Back also reminds me of another point regarding the topic of moral ambiguity. Sometimes moral ambiguity is not about dark vs. light or good vs. evil, but sometimes the most interesting cases of moral ambiguity involve competitively moral choices. For example, the narrative presents Luke with the moral choice of continuing his training with Yoda so he is prepared to face Vader or to attempt to save his friends, but facing Vader ill-prepared. He chooses the latter out of (1) a moral commitment to his friends, and (2) hubris in his capabilities. But Luke's moral quandary makes for compelling moral ambiguity even though it is not about a moral blending of good and evil, as if often the sense of "moral ambiguity" in pop discussions, but, rather, it is driven by competing moralities regarding the higher good.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:29 AM

Chimaera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
Your mention of Empire Strikes Back also reminds me of another point regarding the topic of moral ambiguity. Sometimes moral ambiguity is not about dark vs. light or good vs. evil, but sometimes the most interesting cases of moral ambiguity involve competitively moral choices. For example, the narrative presents Luke with the moral choice of continuing his training with Yoda so he is prepared to face Vader or to attempt to save his friends, but facing Vader ill-prepared. He chooses the latter out of (1) a moral commitment to his friends, and (2) hubris in his capabilities. But Luke's moral quandary makes for compelling moral ambiguity even though it is not about a moral blending of good and evil, as if often the sense of "moral ambiguity" in pop discussions, but, rather, it is driven by competing moralities regarding the higher good.
I didn't mention Empire Strikes Back specifically, but the Empire from Star Wars movies in general; not taking the old and new EU into the account.

Anyway, yes, it works, too; but I think this particular case is more about error of judgement (which is universal) rather than actual "moral ambiguity" built on differences in world-views, conflicting interests or blending.

Last edited by Thornedale; 01-14-2018 at 01:00 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 01-14-2018, 10:58 AM

Not Sure If Trolling...

Quote:
I didn't mentioned Empire Strikes Back specifically, but the Empire from Star Wars movies in general; not taking the old and new EU into the account.

Anyway, yes, it works, too; but I think this particular case is more about error of judgement (which is universal) rather than actual "moral ambiguity" built on differences in world-views, conflicting interests or blending.
WOW once had a great chance to make the moral standards much more interesting, if they had added Illdari as the third faction instead of...

Tags
critical thinking, warcraft