Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 10-12-2017, 01:00 PM

Druid of the Claw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Rotal View Post
So... what WOULD make sense for a baseline Murloc?

Warrior: of course.
Death Knight: nope.
Paladin: not unless they pull a Sunwalker.
Hunter: for sure.
Shaman: i can see it.
Druid: i guess.
Rogue: yepp.
Edgelord Hunter: nope.
Monk: they seem a little frail for that.
Priest: not seeing the Light here.
Mage: pretty standard, really.
Warlock: i... don't see a Murloc summoning a Demon and not have the Demon die of laughter.

That'd give them.... 6-ish choices depending on what they're doing with their origin story... do we have enough for a speculation thread?
I could see Blizzard handwaving murloc death knights by connecting them with mur'ghoul. Hearthstone also has the Deadscale Knight, which could be used as visual inspiration, I guess.

Murlocs should definitely have shaman, since both the Old Wizard's Almanac and the Ultimate Visual Guide describe them using elemental magic. Going by the Almanac, most primitive/tribal humanoid races on Azeroth seem to have shaman, actually. Also, at least one tribe (the Rockpool) worships Neptulon as a deity, so Blizzard could possibly tie into that as well with some sort of Elemental Lord worship system.

Also, while Hearthstone is non-canon and honestly completely ridiculous a lot of the time, there are still these crimes against nature, and Blizzard has canonized elements from Hearthstone before...

https://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Vilefin_Inquisitor

https://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Silver_Hand_Murloc

Avatar by Baldi Konijn. Previous avatars: 1, 2
Old 10-12-2017, 01:02 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xarthat View Post
Awesome expansion concept
That's pretty damn awesome. Would love it if it were to happen.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:11 PM

Arch-Druid

I doubt we'd get playable Mulocs but we might get Jinyu who are technically Murlock.

Athough if that happened, the Horde might get not Naga but Hozen.

What classes would Jinyu and Hozen have?
Old 10-12-2017, 01:21 PM

Sentinel Queen

I don’t know. It kind of sounds like someone just read the murloc WoWpedia page and used it for the description. I don’t really think it’s worth entertaining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe Stormstout View Post
I could see Blizzard handwaving murloc death knights by connecting them with mur'ghoul. Hearthstone also has the Deadscale Knight, which could be used as visual inspiration, I guess.

Murlocs should definitely have shaman, since both the Old Wizard's Almanac and the Ultimate Visual Guide describe them using elemental magic. Going by the Almanac, most primitive/tribal humanoid races on Azeroth seem to have shaman, actually. Also, at least one tribe (the Rockpool) worships Neptulon as a deity, so Blizzard could possibly tie into that as well with some sort of Elemental Lord worship system.

Also, while Hearthstone is non-canon and honestly completely ridiculous a lot of the time, there are still these crimes against nature, and Blizzard has canonized elements from Hearthstone before...

https://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Vilefin_Inquisitor

https://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Silver_Hand_Murloc
There’s also Morgl in the shaman order hall.

And Murgulis in Stormheim to justify murloc demon hunters which I 100% support just to stick it to edgelords.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:23 PM

Sentinel Queen

Hearthstone has that murloc shaman hero skin. I think he's also in the shaman hall in Legion.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:29 PM

Loremaster

Murlocs do seem awfully primitive to support being playable. Even their extremely limited ability to construct buildings seems like a very recent and crude adaptation that's only emerged on land, while those still under the ocean don't seem to even bother making shelters for themselves, instead living more like actual fish schools clustered among the corals and rock formations rather than building settlement-based communities.

Additionally their language(s) is/are evidently so alien to anything the player races can grasp that the standard practice of "everyone speaks Common when they really need to" during quests is eschewed in favor of maintaining a hard language barrier of incomprehensible gurgling and vague hand gestures, so the only one we ever talk to coherently is a weird transplanted character from Hearthstone whose whole "thing" is arguably showing how weird it would be for a murloc to speak like everyone else.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:54 PM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Yeah, as much as I like them, murlocs would be a poor choice. That said, jinyu have none of their ancestors charm, so imo, they would be an even poorer one.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:00 PM

Sentinel Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Targaryen View Post
I doubt we'd get playable Mulocs but we might get Jinyu who are technically Murlock.

Jinyu: monk, warrior, priest, mage, rogue, hunter, shaman, and maybe druids if the night elves are feeling up to introducing them to it.

Hozen: monk, warrior, rogue, hunter, shaman, and I can see them getting mages, warlocks, and maybe priests through special castes that informally practices magic the same way trolls got mages and warlocks through witch doctors, hexers, etc. Plus, with Blizzard’s comedic taste, I don’t think that they’d pass up on monkey-men playing with fire and demons.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:03 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Yeah, as much as I like them, murlocs would be a poor choice. That said, jinyu have none of their ancestors charm, so imo, they would be an even poorer one.
Yeah. I don't "get" when people suggest Jinyu. They're boring and nobody really ever seems to genuinely like them. >>
Old 10-12-2017, 02:33 PM

Druid of the Talon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicGuitars View Post
Yeah. I don't "get" when people suggest Jinyu. They're boring and nobody really ever seems to genuinely like them. >>
Yeah, I can't say I properly like them, as in, would push for Blizzard to implement them as a PC race. I'd rather have playable Tol'vir and Mogu before anything else. I just think that if Blizzard wants to give us an "aquatic" race, they make much, much more sense than Murlocs and could be developed enough to matter.

I think part of the boringness is that they are a minor race used in a single zone of Pandaria (practically), and lack even the gross humor appeal their Hozen counterparts have(?). Some aspects, though, such as the connection with deep waters and their ancient empire that went toe-to-toe with the freaking Mogu have the potential to give some relevance to them, especially if the Naga and N'Zoth are to be the next big enemies.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:48 PM

Sentinel Queen

I like what little lore on the jinyu we have personally. Their waterspeakers are cool.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:34 PM

Eternal

Playable murlocs would be stupid.

Give me playable ogres already.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:36 PM

Glaive Thrower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Targaryen View Post

So the Alliance get cultured fish-people while the Horde gets poop throwing monkeys?
Old 10-12-2017, 03:49 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

If I was the wrbsite guy I'd add vague descriptions like that just to fuck with people who grasp at anything for hints.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:53 PM

Arch-Druid

Sorry, but playable Murlocs are one of those concepts, like Warlords of Draenor, that are so painfully dumb that I won't believe as true even after they announce it.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Old 10-12-2017, 04:19 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
Sorry, but playable Murlocs are one of those concepts, like Warlords of Draenor, that are so painfully dumb that I won't believe as true even after they announce it.
It's that level of "no one would ever guess Blizzard would seriously do that" along with the Sargeras shirt slip up that make me not immediately dismiss it.

There's a good chance its a just weird coincidence like the D4 dice from last BlizzCon, but still interesting enough to speculate on.

EDIT: "dcmix5" on Reddit dug up an interview from Warlords of Draenor's BlizzCon announcement where Chris Robinson mentioned that murlocs are something the team has seriously considered as a player race several times in the past and is (as of then) still on the table.

AusGamers: How long until someone can actually roll a murloc character?

Chris: It’s been shockingly close several times.

AusGamers: That would get me into the game, one hundred percent!

Chris: [laughs] You’re not the only one, there’s a lot of people.

AusGamers: Most of my decks in Hearthstone are murloc decks, I just love murlocs.

Chris: Murlocs are great. We’ve talked about it. There are no concrete plans at this point, but it’s definitely not something that we’ve taken off of the table.

Last edited by Insane Guy of Doom; 10-12-2017 at 04:35 PM..
Old 10-12-2017, 04:49 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Guy of Doom View Post
It's that level of "no one would ever guess Blizzard would seriously do that" along with the Sargeras shirt slip up that make me not immediately dismiss it.

There's a good chance its a just weird coincidence like the D4 dice from last BlizzCon, but still interesting enough to speculate on.

EDIT: "dcmix5" on Reddit dug up an interview from Warlords of Draenor's BlizzCon announcement where Chris Robinson mentioned that murlocs are something the team has seriously considered as a player race several times in the past and is (as of then) still on the table.

AusGamers: Most of my decks in Hearthstone are murloc decks, I just love murlocs.

Chris: Murlocs are great. We’ve talked about it. There are no concrete plans at this point, but it’s definitely not something that we’ve taken off of the table.
Please, God, no! Just... NO!

This would make my blood boil as much as WoD announcement did.

I can't even imagine how a female murloc would look like. Or what kinds of customization besides skin patterns we would get (maybe different fish faces, like shark murloc or whatever).

I can see murlocs playable only if (a) they come together with a plethora of minor races, so they don't stand out as a major feature, or (b) Blizzard decides it wants to repeat WoD-levels of bad decisions.

Last edited by Deicide; 10-12-2017 at 05:18 PM..
Old 10-12-2017, 05:24 PM

Arch-Druid

Mana

If we got a new race based on murlocs being exposed to the blood of Azeroth and therefore less... well, murloc, I would accept it.
Old 10-12-2017, 05:35 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

I'm 99% sure this is just a visual pun on "deep dive"
but still interesting:

Last edited by Insane Guy of Doom; 10-12-2017 at 05:37 PM..
Old 10-12-2017, 05:39 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shekinah View Post
If we got a new race based on murlocs being exposed to the blood of Azeroth and therefore less... well, murloc, I would accept it.
But then they wouldn't be murlocs.

It's like saying "playable ethereals" and getting the original race that became ethereals, rather than the bandaged energy beings we know.

Or like getting draenei, but instead of the mishappen creatures we know they are heroic eredar or something. Oh, wait. Shit!

Quote:
I'm 99% sure this is just a visual pun on "deep dive"
"deep dive," but still interesting:
I'm pretty sure that, if they planned playable murlocs, Muffinus would not have chosen a murloc for that message.

Old 10-12-2017, 05:42 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:

I've personally seen some design information for murlocs as a playable race for multiple expansions, including expansion concepts that were never made. There are always multiple candidates for player races for expansions that get scrapped early on in development, especially if that expac ends up not having playable races at all.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:24 PM

Arch-Druid

Mana

Quote:
But then they wouldn't be murlocs.

It's like saying "playable ethereals" and getting the original race that became ethereals, rather than the bandaged energy beings we know.

Or like getting draenei, but instead of the mishappen creatures we know they are heroic eredar or something. Oh, wait. Shit!
Hey, at least we don't have high elves in the Horde.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:57 PM

Sentinel Queen

Quote:
Please, God, no! Just... NO!

This would make my blood boil as much as WoD announcement did.

I can't even imagine how a female murloc would look like. Or what kinds of customization besides skin patterns we would get (maybe different fish faces, like shark murloc or whatever).

I can see murlocs playable only if (a) they come together with a plethora of minor races, so they don't stand out as a major feature, or (b) Blizzard decides it wants to repeat WoD-levels of bad decisions.
I'm really curious about why you think it's such a horrible, WoD-level decision. I mean if you don't like the race you can just not play it, it's not like it affects the gameplay.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:12 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterisk View Post
I'm really curious about why you think it's such a horrible, WoD-level decision. I mean if you don't like the race you can just not play it, it's not like it affects the gameplay.
Because there are so many other possible races that can be added before Murlocs. Naga, ethereals, ogres, arakkoa, sub-races, whatever. It's been over 5 years since a race was added, and they'd choose a joke race that is ugly, non-cultured (live in simple huts, can't even talk) and is pretty much a joke. Murlocs' entire gimmick is that they are annoying.

I understand that people like odd choices. There's always that guy that would like to play as murlocs, podlings, virmen, kobolds or gorlocs. But these options are even bellow oddities like tuskarr, hozen, furbolg or jinyu, because at they have their own cultures and interact normally with our playable factions.

So, it pisses me off because, while I can choose to not play them, it means they were chosen instead of many other possibilities that are way more interesting.

Like I said above, the only way I'd be okay with it is if murlocs are added together with a plethora of other minor races.

Old 10-12-2017, 07:19 PM

Arch-Druid

Mana

Talking about race ideas, I've been thinking more about it since the leak (I won't talk about arakkoa again, since they're not an Azerothian race, but don't think I still wouldn't want them!).

Furbolgs? I know it would be another race of bear people, so I'm leaning towards no, but it would be nice to have another druidic race.

Hozen and Jinyu? I initially ignored them, since they used old skeletons of playable races, but if they get a model rehash, it would be nice. Maybe if hozen are exposed, they could have a longer lifespan.

Tags
world of warcraft, wow legion