Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old Today, 09:21 AM

Demon Hunter

Highmountain, Lightforged, and Nightborne all make sense to me as alternate race variants (although I would've expected Nightborne to be a NE variant.)

"Void elves" sticks out oddly, though. Sure, I could see a contingent of High Elves following Alleria's example, but I hope it's at least a placeholder name. "Void elf" sounds pretty generic. Also lorewise, I hope a little effort is made to explain how Alleria's magic is different than what shadow priests do. Right now it all seems a little thin of a premise for a new "race" - like, why would this be something only elves learn?
Old Today, 09:25 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

Saying if nightborne go horde then alot of night elf lore go horde and that is unfair to the alliance is like saying because blood elves are in the horde, the night elf lore in the high elves are lost to the horde.

Or alternatively saying that because alterac betrayed the aliance and joined the horde (or hell forsaken) the humans have lost lore.

It doesnt go like that.

The lore is there, The fact some neutral went horde is ok You have some neutrals go alliance as well.

mate.
Btag is Hulk#23939
Old Today, 09:31 AM

Arch-Druid

Mana

Why would the elves learn something and move forward from all of this? Malfurion may do so after the Emerald Nightmare and what happened to Cenarius, but Tyrande? Listening to her dialogue in Suramar during WQs and during the end of that long-ass quest line suggests that she not only is incapable of learning outside of her own set of rules, but that she outright refuses to do so.

I would dearly love to see some political discourse on how Mal and Tyrande have differing opinions regarding how their race should be led, but that will never, ever happen. They're too similar in their ways to have that happen, and Mal cares more about nature and druidism than he does night elves as a whole (it's the whole reason Jarod left in self-exile, after all). Maybe if Maiev got involved, since they seem to be forgetting that Wolfheart happened (Jarod dismisses Maiev's attempt to kill him entirely in Val'Sharah, and it's never brought up again).
Old Today, 09:38 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eelgrin View Post
Highmountain, Lightforged, and Nightborne all make sense to me as alternate race variants (although I would've expected Nightborne to be a NE variant.)

"Void elves" sticks out oddly, though. Sure, I could see a contingent of High Elves following Alleria's example, but I hope it's at least a placeholder name. "Void elf" sounds pretty generic. Also lorewise, I hope a little effort is made to explain how Alleria's magic is different than what shadow priests do. Right now it all seems a little thin of a premise for a new "race" - like, why would this be something only elves learn?
I still think "Void elves" are either a placeholder name or a scrapped race they didn't bother to update the files in 7.3. I hope we get "High elves" (even if void-touched) or a better name. I mean, even "Edgelord Elves" sounds better.

If they are lacking ideas, they could take the shal'dorei cue and put "shadowborne" or whatever.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Old Today, 10:29 AM

Sentinel Queen

After sleeping on it I wonder why, if this is actually a subrace thing, they didn't go with taunka instead of Highmountain tauren? They're more visually distinct and have already joined the Horde.
Old Today, 10:35 AM

Arch-Druid

Mana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterisk View Post
After sleeping on it I wonder why, if this is actually a subrace thing, they didn't go with taunka instead of Highmountain tauren? They're more visually distinct and have already joined the Horde.
Agreed 100%.
Old Today, 10:37 AM

Elune

Because taunka cant wear helms.
Btag is Hulk#23939
Old Today, 10:56 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Quote:
Because they are more visually distinct and thus more work. If you notice none of the other 'subraces' are very different from a base model. Even the Nightborne may lose their unique pose and just look like night elves with different ears, some arcane tattoos, and colors.
Old Today, 11:03 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Default Still sceptical.

Regarding the Nightborne issue, my hope is that only a faction of them joins the Horde. Not because the other option would deprive the night elves of lore (it doesn't) but because Alliance heroes aided the race just as much as Horde heroes did. Same with the Lightforged and Highmountain.

Provided we get these subraces, that is.

Last edited by Nazja; Today at 11:25 AM..
Old Today, 11:04 AM

Druid of the Claw

Quote:
I agree with you that taunka would make more sense, but I can think of a few problems with taunka that would probably explain why they went with Highmountain instead:
  • As Gurzog pointed out, male taunka can't really wear helms. Their models are based on tauren ones, but their heads are shaped pretty differently. Meanwhile, Highmountain tauren are just regular tauren with some different textures (tattoos, dark fur) and the only thing that really changes is the horns, so I imagine those are way easier to implement from a gear-wearing standpoint since you don't actually have to alter or tinker with the models at all to make things like helmets work properly.
  • Because male taunka use a different model from male tauren, they weren't updated with the player character revamp (similar to, say, fel orcs) and hence still use the old animations. Since Highmountain tauren are based on the updated tauren model, they're a lot less visually outdated and "ugly" and wouldn't stand out like a sore thumb in 8.0 environments the same way taunka would.
  • Taunka haven't really been seen at all since WotLK (aside from a couple of NPCs in Cataclysm). Highmountain tauren are a lot more recent and relevant to the current story, even if they admittedly haven't done much since 7.0.
  • Both male and female Highmountain tauren manage to look distinctly different from their regular tauren counterparts, by virtue of the Horns of Eche'ro and the aforementioned texture changes. Meanwhile, Blizzard never bothered to make a female taunka model, so while male taunka are quite visually distinct, the females are just identical to female tauren with white fur. In other words, implementing taunka would mean either spending time to craft a female model, or creating a subrace that is effectively exclusive to one gender.

All of the above points go for yaungol as well, except in their case female yaungol have never even been shown or mentioned to exist.

Again, I do agree that story-wise, taunka make a ton more sense than Highmountain, but I can see why Blizzard wouldn't want to deal with the hassle of implementing playable taunka when they can just use Highmountain instead.

Avatar by Baldi Konijn. Previous avatars: 1, 2

Last edited by Pepe Stormstout; Today at 11:09 AM..
Old Today, 11:23 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
In addition to what was explained above, we should all remember that these are 7.3 files with unfinished data. Don't take them as the totality of what we will get in the end.

The races listed there may just be the remains of internal tests, or the basis for the entire builds that will come.

Don't rule anything out yet. We may even not get any subraces at all. We only have evidence, not proof, of them.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Old Today, 11:28 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Nyarsz#1553

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eelgrin View Post

"Void elves" sticks out oddly, though. Sure, I could see a contingent of High Elves following Alleria's example, but I hope it's at least a placeholder name.
Not really. Lets say those 4 subraces are accesible. How do you implement them? start from the Valley of Trials in Durotar, a place none of them have ever been? Or make a basic scenario where they start at lvl 100/110 and move forward like DKs in wrath or DHs on Legion. It would be easy to explain

Highmountain: Mayla asks you to go to Thunder Totem and help the other Tauren.
Nightborne: Same thing. They dont pledge their honor to the Horde yet, but Tyrande hears the news and chimps out, attacking the city.
Lightforged: The Legion threat subsided, Azeroth is in trouble with that gaping wound in Silithus, so you go and help the Alliance with that problem.
Void Elf: Alleria comes back to Stormwind, rejects the Blood Elves and their position on the Horde, starts teaching lvl 100/110 High Elves the ways of the Void.

And from there they start. High Elves learning the ways of the Void would be a better starting point for them. And about the highmountain instead of Taunka, well... its easier for them to do them, especially if they plan to do more subraces than those 4.

Last edited by Temo; Today at 11:31 AM..
Old Today, 11:43 AM

Elune

I would only return for sub races.

I suddenly have a huge desire to do vanilla content as a sub race (where it fits)
Btag is Hulk#23939
Old Today, 12:08 PM

Arch-Druid

Oh, I hope it won't end up like this:

- Grimtotem tauren and taunka? Horde Grimtotem are rarely mentioned outside of the novels, but they are so cool! And the taunka chieftain from Northrend was so epic with his icy version of bloodlust used against the Scourge army!
- Nope, have these neutral Highmountain tauren.

- High elves? I knew that this day would come, since pandaren are available for both factions.
- Have a void elf.
- What is a void elf?..
- An ex-high elf with distinct Void markings, purple eye glow and other physical and cultural differences that make them totally different from the high elves.
- Well, that’s like a slap in the face...

- the Nightborne? But why Horde-only? They have no reason to fight the Alliance after all the help they got from the night elves. Yes, Tyrande was a bit harsh to them, but Thlayssra was fine with it, because she understands how her kind may be viewed by other races. And wait… How is it a subrace of blood elves exactly?
- Because Liadrin was nice to them.

- Lightforged draenei? Seems fine. Unless, it's not every single Lightforged from 7.3. Would be a bit strange.
- Yeap.

And a possible sequel:

- Oh, cool! I’ve always wanted to play a Broken shaman. Being from Outland and all that stuff. Just like Nobundo!
- Nah, your character is a Krokul from Argus.
- But these two races of Broken have totally different anatomy and culture.
- Sure. But we won’t update another old model just for that.

P.S.: It's mostly a joke. 99,99%.

Last edited by Kiraser; Today at 12:14 PM..

Tags
world of warcraft, wow legion