Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 08-11-2013, 03:41 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Millenia#1386

Ratio be damned, that was a good story.

What I am annoyed about, however, is the general lack of interaction between the warmongering Horde and the pandaren themselves, the Lorewalker story and A Little Patience excepted.

Fuck, the first part of the Dark Heart of Y'shaarj scenario should have been murdering and/or bullying the Golden Lotus.

Anyways, one of the stories should have been the Horde mistreating Pandaren, and the Alliance saving them. I mean, might as well, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
Why did Thrall, who hates slavery, put him back in power?
Same reason he gives no shits about Sylvanas beyond the possibility of her not being strong enough to rein in Forsaken who want the rest of the Horde dead.

Quote:
"Gallywix sure must be good at what he does to stay in power if most of the goblins hate him!" - Yeah he must so how'd he do it? how did he, who was beaten on the Lost Isles and has no assets at the time, not get shanked by somebody on the boat ride over?
Because Thrall vouched for him. That brought enough goblins to his side that no one else dared to try to shank him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
Blizz created the Rageroar just to cause atrocities.

Clans are mentioned by orc prisoners at honor's stand.

Blizz doesn't remember what it decided with the clans :\
The Rageroar are clearly a new clan created long after the modern Horde's formation. Orcs are making up their own clan identities.

@ Fojar: I so totally want to link that to the devs.

The Alliance's three rules on faction conflict:
1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.
3) You can't leave the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustrum View Post
Because if a storyteller is doing his job, he makes you care. And if that storyteller then says "I dunno, then they stopped fighting, I guess," without any explanation or clarification, his audience has every right to be pissed off. Because they were given reason to stay interested, reason to keep up with his tale, only to be shut down just as things were getting good. A waste of time, a waste of emotional tension, a waste, if you fail to grasp the significance of narrative, of money.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:47 PM

Eternal

Pandaren are worse at defending their lands than the Alliance.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:51 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenia View Post
@ Fojar: I so totally want to link that to the devs.
I want you to play Warcraft III so you can tell us what you think about the Alliance campaign.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:09 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshadowz View Post
Pandaren are worse at defending their lands than the Alliance.
They're actually pretty good. I mean, they've managed to stagnate far, far longer than the night elves, and yet are only lightly bapped with the "u r stagnating!" stick.

Not to mention they have the Alliance bleeding and dying to protect them from the Horde, and they have Alliance and Horde bleeding and dying to protect them from the various NPC threats.

Quite frankly, they're geniuses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I want you to play Warcraft III so you can tell us what you think about the Alliance campaign.
Once I work my way through the five hundred open tabs on Firefox.

1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.

Quote:
Because if a storyteller is doing his job, he makes you care. And if that storyteller then says "I dunno, then they stopped fighting, I guess," without any explanation or clarification, his audience has every right to be pissed off. Because they were given reason to stay interested, reason to keep up with his tale, only to be shut down just as things were getting good. A waste of time, a waste of emotional tension, a waste, if you fail to grasp the significance of narrative, of money.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:10 PM

Elune

Quote:
I want you to play Warcraft III
He already did.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:11 PM

Eternal

Vanilla and BC had a more Alliance focus then the Horde, however both of them had amazing cultures that you felt connected too. If you look at Outland, each race of the Alliance and the Horde had at least 1 outpost dedicated to them on the continent. Now we see only Orc/human outposts, and that is the main problem. The Alliance and the Horde were both tough and noble back then, the "war" between them was dying down and they didn't act like total idiots. Wrath started us down a path of forcing them to fight for the sake of fighting because EVERYONE apparently wants us to go back to WC1-2, even though over half the wow playerbase probably hasn't even played WC3. Cata made the Horde look like they were being evil for no reason and the Alliance look like they were absolutely horrible at being a world power, and MoP made the Alliance look noble and stupid while the Horde looked stupid and pure evil, and then made the Horde rebellion look just plain stupid and annoying.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:12 PM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

I wouldn't mind some mixed outposts, architecturewise.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:13 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Once I work my way through the five hundred open tabs on Firefox.
1) Cancel your World of Warcraft account for two months. Practice becoming an expert in Level 20 characters.

2) Use excess money to buy Warcraft III Battlechest legally and with ability to download Goblin Tinker and Daelin Proudmoore stuff. Use extra excess money as pocket change.

3) After two months, throw your money away at World of Warcraft again. If you still want to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
He already did.
I really have no idea what the Firefox tab comment was about. I assumed it was related to piracy downloads or something.

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 08-11-2013 at 04:16 PM..
Old 08-11-2013, 04:16 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Quote:
Vanilla and BC had a more Alliance focus then the Horde, however both of them had amazing cultures that you felt connected too. If you look at Outland, each race of the Alliance and the Horde had at least 1 outpost dedicated to them on the continent. Now we see only Orc/human outposts, and that is the main problem. The Alliance and the Horde were both tough and noble back then, the "war" between them was dying down and they didn't act like total idiots. Wrath started us down a path of forcing them to fight for the sake of fighting because EVERYONE apparently wants us to go back to WC1-2, even though over half the wow playerbase probably hasn't even played WC3. Cata made the Horde look like they were being evil for no reason and the Alliance look like they were absolutely horrible at being a world power, and MoP made the Alliance look noble and stupid while the Horde looked stupid and pure evil, and then made the Horde rebellion look just plain stupid and annoying.
Well said.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:21 PM

Elune

Quote:
1) Cancel your World of Warcraft account for two months. Practice becoming an expert in Level 20 characters.

2) Use excess money to buy Warcraft III Battlechest legally and with ability to download Goblin Tinker and Daelin Proudmoore stuff. Use extra excess money as pocket change.

3) After two months, throw your money away at World of Warcraft again. If you still want to.
I have it already. I just need to sit down and do it... But I won't, because right my first goal...

Quote:
I really have no idea what the Firefox tab comment was about. I assumed it was related to piracy downloads or something.
Is to go through all my Firefox tabs that have accumulated over the last year and a half.

1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.

Quote:
Old 08-11-2013, 04:32 PM

Elune

I hope that in the Alliance short story the Pandaren actually acknowledge that the Alliance has been saving them at every turn. Fighting to protect the Pandaren doesn't mean much when they all hate you anyway because fighting is always bad guize.
"Noble countrymen, evil is upon us. Darkness has befallen our shores. Rise and slay thy enemies� strike, strike so others shall live. The meek shall not fade into the night� live my brethren, live." - King Terenas Menethil II
Quote:
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbraid View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
You are right Fojar.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:37 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Is to go through all my Firefox tabs that have accumulated over the last year and a half.

So you're reading web pages that you've opened but just haven't gotten around to reading yet?
Old 08-11-2013, 04:38 PM

Elune

Quote:

So you're reading web pages that you've opened but just haven't gotten around to reading yet?
And listening to certain songs and watching videos, yes.

Right now I'm reading about buying Treasury Bills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
I hope that in the Alliance short story the Pandaren actually acknowledge that the Alliance has been saving them at every turn. Fighting to protect the Pandaren doesn't mean much when they all hate you anyway because fighting is always bad guize.
I'm not hopeful at all, considering Blizzard's tendency to take the edge off most Alliance victories this expansion.

1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.

Quote:
Old 08-11-2013, 05:15 PM

Eternal

Quote:
It's about fishing. It's going to be very "deep"!
Old 08-11-2013, 05:17 PM

Echo of the Past

Thumbs up

Quote:
It's about fishing. It's going to be very "deep"!
Mshadowz wins the scroll of lore, forever ever.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:29 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: kam#1475

Quote:
And listening to certain songs and watching videos, yes.

Right now I'm reading about buying Treasury Bills.

I'm not hopeful at all, considering Blizzard's tendency to take the edge off most Alliance victories this expansion.
Fist pump moment was being told fighting is bad.

Or something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch View Post
Just remember, the Alliance is only ever allowed to passively defend itself against the Horde, and Taurajo was Azeroth's equivalent of the Holocaust.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:34 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirnheim View Post
Fist pump moment was being told fighting is bad.

Or something.
No, it was learning that you just screwed over the chance to get Blood Elves back into the Alliance. (Which would have the side-impact of effectively uniting Dalaran's primary populations to the Alliance as well.)
Old 08-11-2013, 05:35 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: kam#1475

Quote:
No, it was learning that you just screwed over the chance to get Blood Elves back into the Alliance.
Please. You think I care about a bunch of racist opportunistic traitors who switch allegiances at the drop of a hat?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch View Post
Just remember, the Alliance is only ever allowed to passively defend itself against the Horde, and Taurajo was Azeroth's equivalent of the Holocaust.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:36 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirnheim View Post
Please. You think I care about a bunch of racist opportunistic traitors who switch allegiances at the drop of a hat?
Okay... then your fist-pumping moment was roughing up their shopkeeps and booting them out, or something.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:37 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by barongrackle View Post
no, it was learning that you just screwed over the chance to get blood elves back into the alliance. (which would have the side-impact of effectively uniting dalaran's primary populations to the alliance as well.)
:d
Old 08-11-2013, 05:40 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Mshadowz wins the scroll of lore, forever ever.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:38 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Well, if the music was any indicationthe Pandaren version of the Alliance march might give us the idea that Pandaren are working with the Alliance. And I don't think it means the Tushui, because one would think then, that the Horde would get a song too of some kind.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:45 PM

Echo of the Past

I've got a basic plot for the Alliance short story!

* A Human begins fishing
* He catches some driftwood, tangled wire, and other stuff
* A mysterious figure comes up behind him and asks what he is trying to accomplish
* The human says he's fishing
* The mysterious figure asks, "What does that mean to you?"
* The human doesn't have a good answer, not at first
* The figure suggests the human close his eyes and calm his mind

. . .

* The human catches a huge fish
* He turns to face the mysterious figure, brandishing his catch triumphantly
* The mysterious figure is a Jinyu. It slaps him in the face.
* Jinyu leave the Alliance forever
Old 08-11-2013, 06:47 PM

Elune

Quote:
I've got a basic plot for the Alliance short story!

* A Human begins fishing
* He catches some driftwood, tangled wire, and other stuff
* A mysterious figure comes up behind him and asks what he is trying to accomplish
* The human says he's fishing
* The mysterious figure asks, "What does that mean to you?"
* The human doesn't have a good answer, not at first
* The figure suggests the human close his eyes and calm his mind

. . .

* The human catches a huge fish
* He turns to face the mysterious figure, brandishing his catch triumphantly
* The mysterious figure is a Jinyu. It slaps him in the face.
* Jinyu leave the Alliance forever
You should write it and submit it to Blizzard in order to become a writer. Then, work your way up the ranks and backstab Metzen and Kosak... and take over Blizzard('s writing department)!

1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.

Quote:
Old 08-11-2013, 07:00 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
You should write it and submit it to Blizzard in order to become a writer. Then, work your way up the ranks and backstab Metzen and Kosak... and take over Blizzard('s writing department)!

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 08-11-2013 at 07:09 PM..

Tags
lore, world of warcraft