Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 02-02-2015, 10:16 AM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Default Make an Expansion

The discussion about time traveling Azshara that had just been going on in the WoD 6.2 onward thread got me thinking. If there's one thing Blizzard has been good at since Wrath, it's making expansions no one could predict. Who would've guessed Cata, MoP or especially WoD as things Blizzard would ever do? Expansion predicts even after this seem to typically stick to the familiar (Emerald Dream, Great Seas, Argus).

So what if we started thinking up our own curveballs? What kind of "out there no one would guess" expansions could you think up? It might actually cause us to predict something correct by accident. I'll start first with an idea I've been thinking on for a little while.

I don't have a title but, essentially, World of Warcraft does Journey to the Center of the Earth.

Turns out Azjol-Nerub was just a tiny portion of an entire underground "continent" complete with oceans and a giant crystal at the roof of the massive main cavern that acts as a "sun." There are all sorts of different environments ranging from the standard Azjol-Nerub to ice caves, a forest where the trees grow from the cave ceiling, a swamp with lava instead of water, and crystalline area (kind of like the interior of the Nexus).

Sylvannas is the main villain, having splintered from the Horde after a failed coup on Vol'jin which leaves Thrall (he took the blow) either dead or in critical condition. She's been researching Bloodstone and discovered it comes from this new underground continent. Harnessing the new powers gained by the Bloodstone, Sylvannas and her loyal followers travel to the underground and ally with the Nerubians and remaining scourge.

The Alliance story is that they finally get to fight Sylvannas, with the worgen playing a large role and getting re-defined as more bestial and uncivilized race (maybe even a schism between those who still seem themselves as Gilneans first and worgen second?), think more like Ivar and the Bloodfang.

The Horde story is one about redemption for the player Forsaken, thus ending the issue of how they can stay part of the Horde, as well as letting the Horde get the redemption story it was supposed to get in MoP and then WoD but didn't, except for Forsaken instead of orcs. The forsaken would initially be leaderless, but a new racial leader would emerge somewhat like Yrel over the course of the expansion, maybe Leonid or Calia?

To prevent "Forsaken/Nerubian fatigue" there would also be other new races and enemies, like a nerubian "nightcult" that wants to destroy the sun crystal and plunge the underworld into eternal darkness, blood vrykul (vrykul seemingly made from bloodstone, hinting it may have not Old God, but Titan origins), a race of salamander men who live in the lava swamp area, blind cave-murlocs, rogue Obisidian Destroyers/Northern tol'vir who, no longer able to uphold their titan programming, are in a sort of identity crisis, etc.

It all leads up to revealing the thing under Tirisfal is the source of the Bloodstone, and that its actually "the Final Titan" Wrathion mentioned.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:39 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

We're on the same wavelength, although mine is something more like Warcraft does Ravenloft/Innistrad and there would be an Old God styled continent that's full of that kind of stuff.

Worgen and Forsaken would be the most prominent races. Worgen story would be about them finally finding their place in the Alliance and dealing with new struggles set upon due to their cursed state but in the end they ultimately find a purpose and fill a void that is still left in the Alliance. Perhaps they will also have a storyline that showcases their potential contribution to the Army of Light that will happen eventually in another expansion.

Forsaken story would likely be more of paranoia. The Old Gods are linked to the Void and the darkness in some way and Sylvanas is growing more and more restless of the thought that the veil between her unlife and the darkness is growing thinner. Therefore she sends her own army of Forsaken to settle in the new land and make attempts to overpower and take control of the darkness before it consumes her. (This may end up poorly for her.)

I've had a lot of particularly ideas of mob enemies that play upon gothic horror stories. Even thought of Old God-flavored vampires that resemble the more Nosferatu or soul-sucking variety of vampires.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:34 PM

Eternal

Well where do you want to go?

I had done a Cataclysm style reboot of Outland that preserved Hellfire, Terrokar and Shadowmoon for 60-70 but had the actual fucking Titans arrive to rebuild the planet, using detritus and the Emerald Dream to build new landmasses and rebuild BaldesEdge, Nagrand, Netherstorm, and Zangarmarsh for levels 100-110.

Then I'm desperate to turn Gnomes into Superheroes so I thought about sending everyone to Blue Child to fight Titan stuff in a cyberpunk expansion that ventures into space and upper atmospheric glass lands.

Or giving Azshara the Trident of Neptulon, and using it to raise the entire area around the Maelstrom, effectively creating a landmass out of seafloor. It's discovered that Neptulon is actually the source of the Curse of Flesh, and so his trident in the wrong hands is responsible for an insane amount of disastrous lifeforms and terrain.

Or rebooting the entire franchise, cause I'm good with that too.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:41 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

the snail empire of the southern halls of throne of thunder have a new goal: kill everyone. last boss a super speedy snail that devours (every enemy devours you and is a snail like those in ToT)

Features:
- You can now Run
- You can now sit
- we have improved run and sit and have had alot of fundamental system change meaning you can now sit twice as fast, with 50% lower cd.
- you can now RP walk
new feature: run away from snake.
new feature: kite snails

more features than wod.

IGN: 10/10 best game of the century.

sorry .
Btag is Hulk#23939
Old 02-02-2015, 12:48 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: Kalontas#2949

I have this basic idea for an Emerald Dream expansion. Said expansion reveals that the Dream is not just green forests and plains (much like Northrend isn't just snow) and presents a lot of different, outlandish dream-like landscapes. It's also now prominently inhabited by fey, some of which are hostile to the dreamers (and us).

The pre-expansion event includes an attack of a new faction called the Wild Hunt. The Wild Huntsmen are spectres from the Emerald Dream who kidnap children and other young individuals to convert them to more Wild Huntsmen to repelnish their numbers. After you protect Thrall's son Durak and Moira's son Dagran from these attackers (and after you farm them across the outdoor world for weeks) the Dreamwalkers (a new Timewalker-style faction that serves the former role of the Green Dragonflight) allow the players to enter the Emerald Dream.

Inside you find that the Wild Hunt was pushed to attack the waking world en masse because the Nightmare has found itself a new Nightmare Lord and is expanding again. The Wild Hunt becomes a lesser threat dealt with in dungeons and a x.0 raid, while the Nightmare becomes the main threat. Another lesser threat is Court of the Winter Fey, which is headed by a Marzanna figure, an evil and powerful fey who wants to plunge Azeroth into eternal winter by corrupting the Heart of Winter that lies within the Dream. The expansion also features various lesser evil fey as minor enemies, such as hags and feral fey worgen.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:53 PM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xarthat View Post
I have this basic idea for an Emerald Dream expansion. Said expansion reveals that the Dream is not just green forests and plains (much like Northrend isn't just snow) and presents a lot of different, outlandish dream-like landscapes. It's also now prominently inhabited by fey, some of which are hostile to the dreamers (and us).

The pre-expansion event includes an attack of a new faction called the Wild Hunt. The Wild Huntsmen are spectres from the Emerald Dream who kidnap children and other young individuals to convert them to more Wild Huntsmen to repelnish their numbers. After you protect Thrall's son Durak and Moira's son Dagran from these attackers (and after you farm them across the outdoor world for weeks) the Dreamwalkers (a new Timewalker-style faction that serves the former role of the Green Dragonflight) allow the players to enter the Emerald Dream.

Inside you find that the Wild Hunt was pushed to attack the waking world en masse because the Nightmare has found itself a new Nightmare Lord and is expanding again. The Wild Hunt becomes a lesser threat dealt with in dungeons and a x.0 raid, while the Nightmare becomes the main threat. Another lesser threat is Court of the Winter Fey, which is headed by a Marzanna figure, an evil and powerful fey who wants to plunge Azeroth into eternal winter by corrupting the Heart of Winter that lies within the Dream. The expansion also features various lesser evil fey as minor enemies, such as hags and feral fey worgen.
Any playable fey species? Do night elves and worgen count?
Old 02-02-2015, 06:05 PM

Sentinel Queen
Send a message via AIM to Jigsaw Complex Send a message via MSN to Jigsaw Complex Send a message via Yahoo to Jigsaw Complex

With as successful as WoD has been so far with "everything old is new again/nostalgia", soon, maybe not the next expansion, but soon, Blizzard will give WotLK/Northrend the same treatment.

I would sincerely hope that they don't go the alternative time/universe route with WotLK, but instead look at the aftermath of the war on Northrend and the people of Azeroth. Bolvar would still basically be a secret except to a chosen few, Northrend would have become a more fortified and civilized continent now that the undead are mostly at bay in Icecrown, and one of the main sources of intrigue are people trying to raid the now broken remnants of Ulduar for some of Yogg-Saron's hidden secrets for possible clues as to Old God activity or more ancient Titan relics.

Maybe it's only enough for a content patch, but I've been dying for more of the Northrend/Bolvar story since he took the mantle and told Tirion to scoot on and be quiet.

'Yea see that purple light? Just walk into that to enter the city. Just trust me you'll be fine!'.

We are Sex Bob-Omb! And we're here to make you think about death and get sad and stuff!

"By and large, language is a tool for concealing the truth." - George Carlin
Old 02-02-2015, 08:08 PM

Eternal

So there's a Murloc NPC in the latest build. More teasing at a South Seas/Naga expansion perhaps?

Watch my Warcraft 3 stuff in either YouTube, BitChute, or DailyMotion.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:27 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ujimasa Hojo View Post
So there's a Murloc NPC in the latest build. More teasing at a South Seas/Naga expansion perhaps?
About as teasey as Stromgarde during 5.3.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:30 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
About as teasey as Stromgarde during 5.3.
What better way to rustle jimmies than putting popular stuff in the development phase that turns out to be fake?

Watch my Warcraft 3 stuff in either YouTube, BitChute, or DailyMotion.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:30 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

I rather like Insane Guy's idea for an underground expansion. Personally, I'd have been happy as a clam with an underwater naga-themed expansion, but I'm of the small minority that really liked Vashj'ir.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 02-02-2015, 09:44 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ujimasa Hojo View Post
On the other hand, consider that before WoD, there wasn't a single expansion that didn't have murlocs.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:10 PM

Eternal

Wrote this up awhile back, and it kinda goes hand-in-hand with IGoD's suggestion.

Also wrote this before WoD was announced, so it definitely follows more on Mists' coattails than anything.

World of Warcraft: Scarabs of the Black Empire

Opening Event: Messengers from the Ramkahen report that there are strange rumblings south of the Scarab Wall in Silithus. Investigating the Ruins of Ahn'Qiraj, adventurers discover the gateway to a monstrous new hive of the Silithid, the entrance to which is guarded by... wait, Nerubians? And Mantid? And led by a Qiraji prophet? What the hell is going on?

The greatest elders of the Tol'vir, investigating the ruins of the Titan facility with the help of Brann Bronzebeard, discover the truth; the true progenitor of the Aqir, an Old God called Shur-Narqoth, was sealed within the depths of the earth by the Titans. Shur-Narqoth was the last of the Old Gods to be defeated, and the most elusive, which is why the Titans buried it deeper than all the rest. Only now, after millenia of endless work by the dwindling numbers of the Aqir, Shur-Narqoth's tomb has been located, and the aqir, united once more after their long sundering, are poised to open it once again. The Horde and Alliance are suddenly beset by great worms erupting from underground, acting as gateways for the Aqir to launch their assault upon the factions' major cities. All surface-dwelling races recognize the threat of this Black Empire; the Zandalari even supplicate themselves to Warchief Vol'jin, stating that fighting the Aqir once united all trolls together and could do so once again.

Raid Tier 1:

The Black Capitol: The command center of the Scarab Army, where the Qiraji Prophet Kassan and his Vizier Council direct the assault on the surface world.

The Thousand Cells: The outlying tiers of Shur-Narqoth's prison, where its manifold body parts were contained separately to diminish the Old God's power. With the Titanic defenses diminished, the cells are opening...

The Mithril Dragonshrine: The Titans placed the most dangerous Old God under the watchful eye of their most terrifying creations yet: a flight of mechanical dragons modeled after Neltharion, but immune to the Curse of Flesh and incorruptible by the Old Gods. With orders to destroy any living thing that comes within range of the Old God's prison, the Adamantium Dragons do not discriminate when the heroes of the surface world appear.

First Content Patch: The Old God's great gambit is revealed! The Aqir lured the heroes of the surface world to the prison in order to force a battle with the Adamantium Dragons, and as such, the Old God's final jailors are dead! Shur-Narqoth begins to gather strength, and while the Horde and the Alliance gear for the fight of their lives, they are suddenly betrayed; the Zandalari, having struck a deal with the Aqir, launch a surprise attack on the surface world, aided by Queen Azshara's naga!

Raid Tier 2:

Zandalar, Jewel of the South: Having aided the Aqir in their manipulations, the Zandalari trolls must be stopped. But is the God-King Rastakhan a friend or a foe?

Second Content Patch: Brann Bronzebeard and the Tol'vir have an idea that might defeat Shur-Narqoth: if the Titans' Re-Origination device can be turned into a weapon, it could be used to destroy the Old God without destroying the rest of the world in the process. A server-wide event to collect materials for and defend the Originator Cannon from an assault by the Aqir is the only way!

Raid Tier 3:

Heart of the Black Emperor: The Black Empire's most powerful creations launch an all-out attack on the Originator Cannon, but Wrathion appears at the head of a repaired and reprogrammed Adamantium Flight, clearing the path for the heroes of the surface world to breach Shur-Narqoth's prison, contend with a horde of mantid Paragons and corrupted anubisaths, and present a clear shot for the Cannon to do its work.

Lore Observation, Systems Design, and other science dropped at Power Word: Remix

Expect nothing and anything will surprise you.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:30 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
On the other hand, consider that before WoD, there wasn't a single expansion that didn't have murlocs.
I wonder if you're counting Jinyu, who are pretty much mutated samurai murlocs.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:31 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
I wonder if you're counting Jinyu, who are pretty much mutated samurai murlocs.
I am.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:48 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Default I can't edit font worth a damn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
[IMG]via Imgflip Meme Maker[/IMG]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:12 PM

Loremaster

The expansion's still young; still plenty of time for another Darkspear troll to decide that Draenor is woefully lacking in the area of noisy and irritating fish people.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:09 AM

You know, Blizzard is selling a lil' Hogger plushie. (I need it!)

The age of murlocs is over. The time of the gnoll has come! (Actually, the dwarves in Loch Modan are responsible for a new breed. Gnolls and murlocs, united under the banner of pheromones!)
Old 02-03-2015, 06:14 AM

Banished

Quote:
Sylvannas is the main villain
Old 02-03-2015, 07:22 AM

Elune
BattleTag: miffy#1110

While some of the ideas here are pretty fun and good, I don't want another curveball.

I want what was fucking promised, for years. Either a full-on Legion expansion, playable Ogres etc. Or finally Azshara/Naga/N'zoth. They're what people have been drooling over for years now, and they would be fools to never give the players any payoff for all that build-up.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:26 AM

Elune

Naga are so fucking boring I don't understand why everyone wants them so bad.
"Noble countrymen, evil is upon us. Darkness has befallen our shores. Rise and slay thy enemies� strike, strike so others shall live. The meek shall not fade into the night� live my brethren, live." - King Terenas Menethil II
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbraid View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
You are right Fojar.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:27 AM

Elune
BattleTag: miffy#1110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
Naga are so fucking boring I don't understand why everyone wants them so bad.
I don't want them playable, just their story with Azshara and the Trident/N'zoth.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:34 AM

Elune

I'm unironically more interested in alternate universe Draenor than I am in any of those things. You can probably thank Cataclysm.
"Noble countrymen, evil is upon us. Darkness has befallen our shores. Rise and slay thy enemies� strike, strike so others shall live. The meek shall not fade into the night� live my brethren, live." - King Terenas Menethil II
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbraid View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
You are right Fojar.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:35 AM

Elune

Azshara and the naga are one of the biggest remaining big bads that we have left on Azeroth.

It would be pretty dumb of them not to do an expansion to wrap up those threads, although it would force them to make new big bads, besides the Burning Legion since the Old Gods aren't much of a threat.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:22 AM

Remember the pandaren scroll and what happened between the orcish conquest and demonic invasion? Blizzard knows.

Tags
expac, fanwank