Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > Halls of Lordaeron

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 06:00 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Default Racism

Because after seeing all of these political threads, this will never go wrong. Right?

Also I implore you all to watch this before discussing anything
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:06 AM

Elune

Old 06-01-2013, 06:33 AM

Elune

In my country we don't have black people so no racism can exist in that regard. If anything the few black people there are (even Chinese people) are viewed as an interesting rarity.

Otoh there is significant racism against Roma people. It is understandable to hate the street conning kind but it is not right to hate hardworking Roma who try to live every bit a righteous life as the rest of us.

That is all I have to say really, not my topic basically.

Perhaps it would be best if you pointed out Noitora what you consider racist on the internet or perhaps this very forum.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:37 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
Perhaps it would be best, Noitora, if you pointed out what you consider racist on the Internet or perhaps this very forum.
Yeah, just opening the thread but not leaving any opener kind of limits the amount of replies you'll get, at first. Reminds me of me.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:40 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
In my country we don't have black people so no racism can exist in that regard. If anything the few black people there are (even Chinese people) are viewed as an interesting rarity.
Otoh there is significant racism against Roma people. It is understandable to hate the street conning kind but it is not right to hate hardworking Roma who try to live every bit a righteous life as the rest of us.
Pretty much the same situation in Romania.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:58 AM

Problemsolver

I believe there are differences between black, white, yellow, brown and green people. That's pretty much a scientific fact.
I don't believe any of the 'races' are better than the others, though. I know for a fact there are pricks and assholes of any color and ethnicity.

Here in Sweden there are alot of "in the closet-racists", like my father. They aren't often very vocal about it, but when they are they can be incredibly judgemental and generalizing. In a way, they are worse than the full blown racists, because they're all passive about it until there's an election, and before long we'll have nationalists running the country, a thought that frightens the hell out of me.

The last few days I've had to talk sense into alot of my friends, regarding the ongoing riots in some of Sweden's suburbs, whom they blame entirely on immigration and immigrants (primarily middle-eastern immigrants, they don't bash on the plethola of europeans or east-asians coming here).
Old 06-01-2013, 07:24 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Ganishka #1520

Remember when Britain had a sense of humor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Baras
A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel MY ANGER!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowordfun
The next time you feel like you're about to be triggered, put the barrel in your mouth.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:40 AM

Elune

Just because I'm a black man making a racism thread doesn't mean I'm only talking about black people. So that's one topic to discuss. There are other races including white people who go through it.

What are your views and experiences regarding races and racism? Stereotypes that annoy you or like to prove or disprove?
Quote:
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:52 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
Just because I'm a black man making a racism thread doesn't mean I'm only talking about black people. So that's one topic to discuss. There are other races including white people who go through it.

What are your views and experiences regarding races and racism? Stereotypes that annoy you or like to prove or disprove?
One reason that I like the video you posted there is because of the issue of descending into what that guy calls a "what you are" conversation, while entirely skipping the "what they did" conversation.

He not only has a firm grasp on the logic, but he understands why the "what you are" conversation is doomed to failure. It also makes me happy though, because the "what they did" conversation can reveal much more about why the person did what they did and what good intentions they may have had, rather than poisoning the well with an ad hominem attack.

Obviously, you're not going to find good intentions in a comment about tap dancing watermelons, but the usual issue that I find is that someone will call a policy, an idea, or a system racist without actually demonstrating that it is so.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:54 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Erthad #1438

Crossed Swords (War2)

Quote:

It's impossible to be racist towards white people. Racism is power plus prejudice. Because white people hold all the power, PoC can never be racist towards white people.

/s
Old 06-01-2013, 07:59 AM

Elune

Quote:
Just because I'm a black man making a racism thread doesn't mean I'm only talking about black people.
But you are a black man starting a racism thread.

Most of us, but lets confine it to me, are white people who may not have much exposure to racism nor a very keen sense of what might constitute racism to someone who does feel threatened socially. Which is why I felt the question of what do you find racist on the internet pertinent.

But if you really want to leave it at "This is a racism thread, the end" that is okay too I suppose.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:04 AM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

Technically any discussion where the concept of humanity being separated into distinct races where they are the focus of ridicule, exaltation or even separation is racist. So yes, racist people can be racist simply for loving their own "race" and thinking in those terms. Anyone who paints the world in that light regardless of the biological group they themselves fit into, viewing things based on a couple of genes alone as factors to make anyone more inferior or superior is racist.

I firmly believe that culture plays a considerably larger part in these things than race does and is honestly the true focus. Blanketing things as "race" is childish and idiotic. Many people who say racist things are more opposed to culture than skin colour, but that isn't always the case, sometimes people are dumb enough to believe that we are all different species and some are just better than others.

There are serious problems with cultures and ideals. There is little problem with where someones ancestors are from.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:13 AM

Huntress

Quote:

Well, people on internet often called me racist, but i don't hate races, i just hate religions. I don't give a fuck about race, and anyone who judges humans only by race is more than idiot. When i make some negative comment about Christianity, nobody calls me racist, it never happened. But if i make negative comment about Islam, i'm instantly branded as "racist". I just think that word "racist" should be only used on people that really judges by race, not on those that hates religion.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:16 AM

Elune

Islam is similar to judism in the sense that it's associated to a race. Some people take their dislike of Islam to the extreme of not liking middle easterns for it. Especially when Indians get confused and hated for it.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-01-2013, 08:20 AM

Elune

Speaking of Islam, I'm so glad we don't deal with folks like that in my country. They are present, though in small numbers and not as violent like in other countries.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:21 AM

Arch-Druid

I am and always be a realist and a pragmatist. Common sense tells us that many social, and if taken to the large-scale, geopolitical problems, can be traced to racism and prejudice. Myself personally, I think it's ridiculous to differentiate ourselves on the basis of what our genes express. I may have more melanin in my skin, my friend may have blond hair and those people over there may have slanted eyes. But in the end, we're part of the same species of Homo sapiens, and it's illogical to discriminate others just because they were unfortunate enough to have certain genes. Because in the end, they're human beings like you and I, and they have the same needs, aspirations and fears as we do. No "race" is superior than the other.

Unfortunately, the world ins't as tootsy-daisy as we'd like it to be. Because cultures and societies have developed in various parts of the world, the identity of a nation; its philosophies, beliefs and values; are consequently linked to the "race" of the nation. It's from here that nationalism and cultural pride come from, and it's also from here that stereotypes surge.

It's at the very base of human nature to be scared of something that's different. It's inherent for us to distinguish who's "them" and who are "we". It's biology. It's a survival instinct. And that, unfortunately, has carried on for many millenia. There will always be prejudice against peoples whose values are different from ours. There will always be discrimination against people who don't look like us. It is a natural phenomenon, but it often turns deadly if it isn't controlled.

This is what has led to violence all across the world. Whether it be German vandalism of a Turkish restaurant, or the Arab-Israeli conflicts, they all have the same origin: resentment to those who are different. And while it's true that wars between Nation-States are often political and/or economical in nature, the political elite have always used the racial feud between the warring nations as the fuel to justify said wars and to rally public support.

"Race" therefore is a big issue in day-to-day affairs and should not be ignored. Numerous conflicts in this world arise because of problems with "race" and we should carefully consider how to deal with them. I believe that with the advent of a more globalised world, more and more people are beginning to accept and understand other cultures, which certainly reduce potential conflicts in the future. More and more people of different "races" are choosing to live together and even are even having children. The US and the UK in particular are good, but frankly not perfect, examples of this happening, and I think this will be the way to go for other nations as well.

I, as the son of a diplomat, have had numerous contacts with people of different nations and races. And I can confirm that it's somewhat helpful to explain the motivations and actions of an individual by knowing from what nation they're from. In this context, I'll use the words "nation" and "race" interchangeably, because that's basically how most Nation-States form. The Japanese see themselves as a distinct race from the Koreans, and so on. However, should I judge individuals purely by what race they are? Absolutely not. I always judge individuals by their actions. I don't hate on the Moroccan store owner just because he's Arab. He's good friends with me, actually. However, the fact that he's Arab explains so many of his actions and motivations; the way he dresses, his mannerisms, his beliefs and how he treats other people. That's just the way Arab culture has developed over the years, and that's how Arab culture is. Do I think that he's a crazy jihadist terrorist obsessed with killing infidels? No.

In the end, what do you guys think? Am I a racist because of this? I honestly don't know. But seeing as how the race of a person factors so much in the identity of an individual, I always take it into account. Then, if I were called a racist, I honestly wouldn't mind. But again, I've always considered myself a realist and pragmatist above anything else. And the reality is that "race" is a big deal.

Last edited by Chef; 06-01-2013 at 08:26 AM..
Old 06-01-2013, 08:24 AM

Huntress

Quote:
Islam is similar to judism in the sense that it's associated to a race. Some people take their dislike of Islam to the extreme of not liking middle easterns for it. Especially when Indians get confused and hated for it.
Yeah, never understood why someone who dislikes islam hates whole middle-east people with it. There's nothing bad with them, it's islam that causes 90% of shit there. If islam was in Europe as main religion for last few hundreds of years, it would've been looking like today's middle-east. It's not about race, but about religion.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:45 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: Kalontas#2949

Quote:

Just the sheer concept of "race". In real world, races do not biologically exist. There are certain gatherings of phenotypes but that's all they are - superficial and easily mixed together external traits.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:46 AM

Site Staff - Admin

I don't believe the human species is divided by national and ethnic grounds, as biology has exposed.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:52 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archeus View Post
Yeah, never understood why someone who dislikes islam hates whole middle-east people with it. There's nothing bad with them, it's islam that causes 90% of shit there. If islam was in Europe as main religion for last few hundreds of years, it would've been looking like today's middle-east. It's not about race, but about religion.
Nope. If the Islamists had conquered Europe, the Islam might not have regressed like it did, so we can't really say that the Islam is responsible either. The Islam is not more "evil" than the other Abrahamic religions.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:52 AM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xarthat View Post
Just the sheer concept of "race". In real world, races do not biologically exist. There are certain gatherings of phenotypes but that's all they are - superficial and easily mixed together external traits.
you'd be surprised what biologists claim when there's no recording of what they're saying. There's a reason why they upgraded from 3 to 5 major races when the biologists last had a major study into the subject.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 06-01-2013, 09:07 AM

Elune

What do you guys think about genetic defects based on race though? Black people are more vulnerable to diabetes, sickle cell, and glaucoma I believe. Some Asians have some genetic disease that can be fatal, and don't Jewish couples have to get tested for some trait that could be passed down to their kids?
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-01-2013, 09:08 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
What do you guys think about genetic defects based on race though? Black people are more vulnerable to diabetes, sickle cell, and glaucoma I believe. Some Asians have some genetic disease that can be fatal, and don't Jewish couples have to get tested for some trait that could be passed down to their kids?
I always laugh at how white people easily get sunburned. Feels good to be austronesian.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:10 AM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef View Post
I always laugh at how white people easily get sunburned. Feels good to be austronesian.
Yet skin bleaching cosmetic products sell like butter in the sun in Asia .

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 06-01-2013, 09:11 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaskaleh View Post
Yet skin bleaching cosmetic products sell like butter in the sun in Asia .
And Africa.
Closed Thread