Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > Halls of Lordaeron

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 04:49 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
People nowadays feel that self-righteous heroes are actively worse than straight up villains so there's that.

There's also a trend nowadays of subverting "traditional stories" and whatnot by having the fantasy kingdom be full of assholes and the dark wizard and his horde of gremlins actually be misunderstood because it makes people who watch them feel smart and countercultural.

See: basically every fairy tale remake since fucking Shrek.
So in other words you don't live in the now, and keep whining for a time before the current culture and its method of storytelling.

so, much like your lordaeron fap fantasy, your living in a dream world instead of the current period.

Either get with the times or fuck off back to pre disney renaissance

Last edited by Tauren Paly; 07-14-2014 at 04:51 PM..
Old 07-14-2014, 04:51 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
No, you don't write out how awesome it would be to have a legion of knights, dwarves, and worgen march on UC, to see Abominations and such on the battlefield against Alliance mainstays and analyze the political fallout or repercussions.
Uh, pretty sure I've actually written at length about how it would realistically go if such a war happened. It's just never going to happen and I don't care enough anymore to expend that amount of effort every time it's brought up.

"Kill all Forsaken" is far more efficient and gets the same point across. The Forsaken are the ones blocking any significant progression for an entire playable faction and I don't know how many more ways I can spell that out.

I mean like there are tons of smaller issues, such as the fact that the Forsaken live in a consequence-free evil bubble or that their mere presence makes EVERYONE, Horde, Alliance, and neutral look worse simply by proximity, but the bottom line is kill all Forsaken and watch the game improve by several echelons.

Hell just boot them to Northrend even so that they can do undead things with other undead instead of surrounded by people who should hate them yet inexplicably don't.

Also get rid of all neutrals.
"Noble countrymen, evil is upon us. Darkness has befallen our shores. Rise and slay thy enemies� strike, strike so others shall live. The meek shall not fade into the night� live my brethren, live." - King Terenas Menethil II
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbraid View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
You are right Fojar.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:51 PM

World Builder

Quote:
People nowadays feel that self-righteous heroes are actively worse than straight up villains so there's that.

There's also a trend nowadays of subverting "traditional stories" and whatnot by having the fantasy kingdom be full of assholes and the dark wizard and his horde of gremlins actually be misunderstood because it makes people who watch them feel smart and countercultural.

You'll never get anywhere if you make no attempt to understand the views you dismiss so readily.

EDIT:

My god fojar, your crime isn't just your attitude, it's that you're boring and stagnant too.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 07-14-2014, 04:53 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
You'll never get anywhere if you make no attempt to understand the views you dismiss so readily.
I understand them just fine, and that's one of the reasons why I know making the Alliance into a faction of "people who think they're heroes but actually" is going to make people hate them more than the actual villains in tyool 2014. Because that's just where the genre is right now.
"Noble countrymen, evil is upon us. Darkness has befallen our shores. Rise and slay thy enemies� strike, strike so others shall live. The meek shall not fade into the night� live my brethren, live." - King Terenas Menethil II
Quote:
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
You are right Fojar.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:54 PM

Elune

Pale magical elves being good guys isn't counter culture. I am far from what ever could be considered counter culture in real life. I just wanted the story to be the way it was advertised!
Old 07-14-2014, 04:55 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: InsipidLobst#2126

Quote:

I think this can be counter balanced by the fact that humans are generally pretty shitty as a species and if you take half of what we can be like from reality and put it in a fantasy universe then they're inching up the villain board. given how we're so easily divided by skin colour, faith and gender imagine what it would be like with completely different races with completely different cultures.

I'm not saying that Alliance races should be painted as monsters, just that, you know. It's okay to do shitty things from time to time even in the name of the "greater good(tm) and then recognise that both sides can be pretty nasty when push comes to shove. I'm not saying the pure good human races standing up against pure evil is bad either but it's kinda become the stereotypical trope of fantasy.

But, again, if the fallout from the Purge of Dalaran and that goblin still being a slave is anything to go by. The Alliance and Horde fanbase is way too obsessed with morality.

Eternal

Quote:
I understand them just fine, and that's one of the reasons why I know making the Alliance into a faction of "people who think they're heroes but actually" is going to make people hate them more than the actual villains in tyool 2014. Because that's just where the genre is right now.
No, what makes the alliance deplorable is having guys like you associated with them. Pretentious, self opinionated bullshit that makes even other alliance fans cringe.

Elune

Quote:
Pale magical elves being good guys isn't counter culture. I am far from what ever could be considered counter culture in real life. I just wanted the story to be the way it was advertised!
It is if they're by and large also dark wizards allied with a gremlin horde. (Which is what the Blood Elves are.)
Quote:
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
You are right Fojar.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:57 PM

Elune

However as we saw, Jaina finally does something dark but justified (purge of Dalaran) and suddenly she's worse than Hitler. Certain Horde characters do the same or worse stuff but they are misunderstood and can be redeemed!
Old 07-14-2014, 04:59 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
However as we saw, Jaina finally does something dark but justified (purge of Dalaran) and suddenly she's worse than Hitler. Certain Horde characters do the same or worse stuff but they are misunderstood and can be redeemed!
not according to guys like fojar and friends.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:59 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insipid_Lobster View Post
I'm not saying the pure good human races standing up against pure evil is bad either but it's kinda become the stereotypical trope of fantasy.
See this is sort of what I'm talking about. It's actually pretty rare to find mainstream fantasy nowadays that deals in "good humans against evil monsters" outside of Tolkien and maybe Harry Potter (although that's low fantasy.) Yet the idea that "good humans versus evil monsters" is somehow everywhere is still prevalent, and that annoys me because fantasy has gotten so incredibly cynical as of late that it can get irritating.
Quote:
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
You are right Fojar.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:00 PM

Elune

Quote:
It is if they're by and large also dark wizards allied with a gremlin horde. (Which is what the Blood Elves are.)
They aren't the stereotypical dark wizards. They are the LotR elves and even the Warcraft II elves. The night elves are the ones that had their role counter cultured.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:01 PM

Elune

Quote:
They aren't the stereotypical dark wizards. They are the LotR elves and even the Warcraft II elves. The night elves are the ones that had their role counter cultured.
Do you sincerely believe that the Blood Elves are the same as Tolkien High Elves?
Quote:
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
You are right Fojar.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:02 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
Yeah, it swings both ways. I agree with you there fully, though it doesn't tick me off half as much as the arbitrary nature of it all. You get some people who are genuinely convinced Garithos_was_right.jpg and yet they insist Lor'themar is every sin under the sun for expelling high elves.

I just tend to steer away from those posters.

Quote:
Do you sincerely believe that the Blood Elves are the same as Tolkien High Elves?
Tolkein elves have their petty (and somewhat grey moments) too!

Site Staff - Moderator
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
The amount of upvotes and downvotes makes me think the SF are more Alliance dominant. (Which is fucking sad to think about since that basically means it's a cesspool because of them.)
For what it's worth, people had already been pointing out the balance of posters on the story forums for years now.

Eternal

Quote:
See this is sort of what I'm talking about. It's actually pretty rare to find mainstream fantasy nowadays that deals in "good humans against evil monsters" outside of Tolkien and maybe Harry Potter (although that's low fantasy.) Yet the idea that "good humans versus evil monsters" is somehow everywhere is still prevalent, and that annoys me because fantasy has gotten so incredibly cynical as of late that it can get irritating.
you really are the last person who should be complaining about what is irritating.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:03 PM

Elune

Quote:
Superficially, yes. Isn't that what we are talking about here?
Old 07-14-2014, 05:03 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Quote:
I think this can be counter balanced by the fact that humans are generally pretty shitty as a species and if you take half of what we can be like from reality and put it in a fantasy universe then they're inching up the villain board. given how we're so easily divided by skin colour, faith and gender imagine what it would be like with completely different races with completely different cultures.

I'm not saying that Alliance races should be painted as monsters, just that, you know. It's okay to do shitty things from time to time even in the name of the "greater good(tm) and then recognise that both sides can be pretty nasty when push comes to shove. I'm not saying the pure good human races standing up against pure evil is bad either but it's kinda become the stereotypical trope of fantasy.

But, again, if the fallout from the Purge of Dalaran and that goblin still being a slave is anything to go by. The Alliance and Horde fanbase is way too obsessed with morality.
I'd like if Blizzard defaulted to other Alliance races to do shitty things. Gets tiring to see these acts committed by a human all the time. Admiral Rogers and Jaina were the most morally grey characters, and I felt they could have done something so much more interesting than just having those two characters. If Humans have to do anything else that's morally grey, I think it should be something more internal rather than something dealing with the faction war.

Not trying to make it sound like a human rant, or anything though.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:04 PM

Eternal

Quote:
I'd stop right there if I were you, the brick wall your about to run into won't shift.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:05 PM

Elune

Quote:

Quote:
Humans are more narratively troubled than even the Worgen are because the Humans are such a huge part of the world and the story yet act like they aren't.
Quote:
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
You are right Fojar.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:06 PM

Eternal

The Kinslaying at Alqualonde, The Ruin of Doriath and The Attack on the Mouth of Sirion. The sons of Feanor were a bit mean and weren't really that "good".

Quote:
Again, I agree, it's partly why I think the gilneans/worgen have been a wasted opportunity so far.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:09 PM

Elune

Kill all Forsaken to save Warcraft.
Quote:
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
You are right Fojar.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:09 PM

Elune

Quote:
Humans are more narratively troubled than even the Worgen are because the Humans are such a huge part of the world and the story yet act like they aren't.
Probably, they at least exist.

Quote:
Again, I agree, it's partly why I think the gilneans/worgen have been a wasted opportunity so far.
Cataclysm is the undisputed champion of expansions when it comes to horrendously missed opportunities.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:11 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Cataclysm is the undisputed champion of expansions when it comes to horrendously missed opportunities.
They're probably going to milk WoW until the udders of this cash cow shrivel up and simply spit out dust, I am hoping that before then they get some of these things right.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:15 PM

Elune

Quote:
They're probably going to milk WoW until the udders of this cash cow shrivel up and simply spit out dust, I am hoping that before then they get some of these things right.
It's already spitting out dust, and that dust is called Warlords of Draenor.
Closed Thread

Tags
civil bitching, cleansing of the tags, crushed dreams, kill all factions, orcs are definitely evil, orks, post here if masochist, shattered hopes, the cycle begins anew