Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Blizzard Discussion > General Blizzard Discussion

Old 04-11-2017, 04:51 AM

The Sun King

Blizzard Why won't Blizzard make more games?

Call me a simpleton, but I wonder.

Why doesn't Blizzard make more games?

It's what videogame companies are supposed to do. There are lots of Elder Scrolls games. Paradox can't stop making new games and addons to old ones. A LOT of companies are set to produce HQ Medieval/Fantasy content nowadays, often cooperating with set properties. People lust for the heroics of old, wishing to find solace in such escapism.

So why does Blizzard concentrate on merely maintaining the existing cash-cows on life support?

Are there really not enough of those fabled MAN-HOURS to create something new and exciting? A new Warcraft RTS? A TES-level of detail Warcraft RPG set in one of the world's regions?

Is Blizzard wary of taking risks?
Old 04-11-2017, 06:22 AM

Sentinel Queen

Overwatch is still rather recent.

I'd say it's because a lot of their games are ones that get a constant stream of updates, rather than one launch with some DLC later down the road.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:45 AM

World Builder

A mix of risk-aversion and not wanting to bloat themselves with the hiring needed to keep additional franchises going.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 04-11-2017, 07:47 AM

The Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
A mix of risk-aversion and not wanting to bloat themselves with the hiring needed to keep additional franchises going.
I admit, part of the reason I made this thread was to gush about how cool a TES-style Warcraft RPG could be.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:52 AM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Blizz's original business model (pre-WoW) didn't allow for new games to come about. They just weren't big enough. With StarEdit subsequent RTS editors, they were able to build up a fanbase that built mini-games for them, acting as a mini-publisher where they owned all profits. So...no real reason to go beyond the big three games.

Once WoW hit, subscriptions became so profitable they needed to sustain them, creating a massive support base for their MMO while they used that for development of other games. Now here's where things fell apart, they put millions if not billions into funding a small set of big projects. SC2, D3, and Titan were meant to be pillars for the next generation of gaming to support the further growth of the company.

Except, SC2 hasn't grown the way Starcraft did, because that era of gaming was eclipsed by Blizz's own mini-games (MOBAs) and its maker community doesn't need SE2 to create their own games anymore. D3 was a failure on launch because they forgot core tenets of what made it fun (Easy replayability, PvP, and a Skinner box that wasn't a stock market game), and it's now too far gone to salvage. Titan, as we now know, was too ambitious. Blizz is not a company that innovates wildly, they take great notes from other sources (MMO's and games in general) and condense them.

So, they took a turn to where the market currently sits, F2P and DLC (e.g. overwatch skins). Hearthstone, Heroes, and Overwatch (FPS slapped over Titan's world) are all the future of their franchises, and it's very obvious that those games are where Blizz will continue to stand. They're, in a very real sense, just cannibalizing what's left of their primary universes (as those stories end) and putting them on top of simpler vehicles where far less development space is needed to create profit.

Blizz won't create more games in the sense that we're used to because the adventurous old-guard is being replaced by a more cautious new one that shies away from big gambles. When you get to be a company as big as Blizz is now, that's an unfortunately natural turn. There may be new universes every decade or so, and they may pick up new game styles, but it won't be in the big, bold way that we're looking for. Newer studios, where big, bold steps are needed to make a mark, will carry on that torch in its stead.

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:12 PM

The Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
Blizz's original business model (pre-WoW) didn't allow for new games to come about. They just weren't big enough. With StarEdit subsequent RTS editors, they were able to build up a fanbase that built mini-games for them, acting as a mini-publisher where they owned all profits. So...no real reason to go beyond the big three games.

Once WoW hit, subscriptions became so profitable they needed to sustain them, creating a massive support base for their MMO while they used that for development of other games. Now here's where things fell apart, they put millions if not billions into funding a small set of big projects. SC2, D3, and Titan were meant to be pillars for the next generation of gaming to support the further growth of the company.

Except, SC2 hasn't grown the way Starcraft did, because that era of gaming was eclipsed by Blizz's own mini-games (MOBAs) and its maker community doesn't need SE2 to create their own games anymore. D3 was a failure on launch because they forgot core tenets of what made it fun (Easy replayability, PvP, and a Skinner box that wasn't a stock market game), and it's now too far gone to salvage. Titan, as we now know, was too ambitious. Blizz is not a company that innovates wildly, they take great notes from other sources (MMO's and games in general) and condense them.

So, they took a turn to where the market currently sits, F2P and DLC (e.g. overwatch skins). Hearthstone, Heroes, and Overwatch (FPS slapped over Titan's world) are all the future of their franchises, and it's very obvious that those games are where Blizz will continue to stand. They're, in a very real sense, just cannibalizing what's left of their primary universes (as those stories end) and putting them on top of simpler vehicles where far less development space is needed to create profit.

Blizz won't create more games in the sense that we're used to because the adventurous old-guard is being replaced by a more cautious new one that shies away from big gambles. When you get to be a company as big as Blizz is now, that's an unfortunately natural turn. There may be new universes every decade or so, and they may pick up new game styles, but it won't be in the big, bold way that we're looking for. Newer studios, where big, bold steps are needed to make a mark, will carry on that torch in its stead.
Thank you for this wonderful insight.

I guess it's pretty much the sole truth we have.

Guess mods and custom maps it is.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:21 PM

Ethermancer - Admin

I wouldn't say that's "the" answer, just that's where I make my own assumptions.

Old 04-11-2017, 08:39 PM

Elune

Well, we've long noted that Blizz is a bit of a fuck up in terms of logistics. They are bad at expanding their business and working at peak efficiency. I am not a gaming industry expert but I strongly feel they don't get nearly as much bang for their (huge amount of) buck as other companies do.

Combined with that I think they have a policy of not making competition for their own games. Apart from the legacy RTS games but even there we won't be seeing another WC RTS for a long while it seems.
So they have WoW as their MMO, SC2 as their RTS, Diablo 3 is their RPG (kinda, can't quite classify Diablo), HotS is their MOBA, Overwatch is their TF2 clone/FPS and Hearthstone has the card game market covered.

Of those I'd only say SC2 and Diablo 3 are on "life support" and will need major new content soon if they are to remain relevant. Either a whole new game or a big expansion. Arguably so is WoW, but it still has lots of subscribers and will remain a reliable cashcow for years to come.

Now given all that, what niche is left to fill? What kind of game could Blizz release that is not competing with their other games? I can see some grand strategy like Civ or EU, but some GS elements could be glued to their RTS games and kind of were given the out of battle stuff we were doing in SC2. They could make a sort of Elder Scrolls like RPG, that shouldn't cut much from Diablo. Apart from that racing games are open but I have a hard time seeing Blizz make one (yeah I know about R&R racing), maybe some silly racing game like Crash Team Racing or Mario Kart feature some or all of their franchises?
And while it is not something we want to hear, given Blizz's money grubbing streak these last few years, they can easily opt to make some mobile focused game that can be done by five developers and that ends up raking in billions. I am talking about a game that would make Hearthstone seem hyper-complex and totally not P2W. Be afraid, be very afraid.

Anyway that is my analysis of things.

Last edited by C9H20; 04-11-2017 at 08:44 PM..
Old 04-12-2017, 02:42 AM

The Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
Well, we've long noted that Blizz is a bit of a fuck up in terms of logistics. They are bad at expanding their business and working at peak efficiency. I am not a gaming industry expert but I strongly feel they don't get nearly as much bang for their (huge amount of) buck as other companies do.
Exactly. Look at how Paradox constantly tries new themes, markets and strategies. Even makes new settings, like the Kyros Peace one.

Quote:
Of those I'd only say SC2 and Diablo 3 are on "life support" and will need major new content soon if they are to remain relevant. Either a whole new game or a big expansion. Arguably so is WoW, but it still has lots of subscribers and will remain a reliable cashcow for years to come.
By "life support" I meant still keeping at WoW and trying to let it stay relevant. The game is more than ten years old. It should have been dead by now, but they continue updating it since the market still exists.

Quote:
Now given all that, what niche is left to fill? What kind of game could Blizz release that is not competing with their other games? I can see some grand strategy like Civ or EU, but some GS elements could be glued to their RTS games and kind of were given the out of battle stuff we were doing in SC2. They could make a sort of Elder Scrolls like RPG, that shouldn't cut much from Diablo. Apart from that racing games are open but I have a hard time seeing Blizz make one (yeah I know about R&R racing), maybe some silly racing game like Crash Team Racing or Mario Kart feature some or all of their franchises?
And while it is not something we want to hear, given Blizz's money grubbing streak these last few years, they can easily opt to make some mobile focused game that can be done by five developers and that ends up raking in billions. I am talking about a game that would make Hearthstone seem hyper-complex and totally not P2W. Be afraid, be very afraid.

Anyway that is my analysis of things.
...You know, I think you found a spot-on future thing. A mobile game. Damn.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:16 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir the Wizard View Post
Call me a simpleton, but I wonder.

Why doesn't Blizzard make more games?

It's what videogame companies are supposed to do. There are lots of Elder Scrolls games. Paradox can't stop making new games and addons to old ones. A LOT of companies are set to produce HQ Medieval/Fantasy content nowadays, often cooperating with set properties. People lust for the heroics of old, wishing to find solace in such escapism.

So why does Blizzard concentrate on merely maintaining the existing cash-cows on life support?

Are there really not enough of those fabled MAN-HOURS to create something new and exciting? A new Warcraft RTS? A TES-level of detail Warcraft RPG set in one of the world's regions?

Is Blizzard wary of taking risks?
They're a bunch of lazy fucks. They are already getting enough money, so they won't try risking to make more. It's the same reason why Valve pretty much no longer develops games either.

Other companies have a constant innovation mentality, where their profits are spent on growing and making new stuff. Not the case for Blizzard. It's been long since games stopped being the core objective, now only money is. This kills creativity, and it's no wonder they've lost so much people over the years.

In part, I also think they don't know what to do anymore. They've lost a lot of talent, and even if their latest games have been decent, they're just glorified arcades that lack the depth and worldbuilding of their oldest titles. SC2 and D3 were disasters in comparison with their most basic life and popularity expectations. Yeah, they sold a lot, but are they popular? Making money and making a good game are two different things. Many games out there make a lot of money too, but would you say they're good and will be played for decades? I don't think so. This was one of the flagships of Blizzard, and they've lost it.

I don't think Blizzard will ever be what it once was.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 04-14-2017, 05:35 AM

Ethermancer - Admin

While not revelatory, here's an interesting interview with Metzen after his retirement that includes tidbits on Blizz's direction in the past few years.

https://soundcloud.com/scott-johnson...tzen-interview

Old 04-14-2017, 10:58 AM

Eternal

The only thing that would fuck them up royally is if they lean too hard toward what other western developers do.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:22 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Nyarsz#1553

Quote:
Now given all that, what niche is left to fill?.
A fighting game. All of the old guard seemed to be big fighting gamers, I even remember seeing a pic of Metzen playing SamSho or Last Bl- nah, im sure it was SamSho.

Sure, the fighting game community is small compared to other niches, but hey, i would play the Lich King in a Soul-Calibur type game. I always wanted the Lich King as a guest in a Soul Calibur T-T
Old 05-02-2017, 08:30 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
While not revelatory, here's an interesting interview with Metzen after his retirement that includes tidbits on Blizz's direction in the past few years.

https://soundcloud.com/scott-johnson...tzen-interview
Grah, any transcript?

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/

Tags
blizzard, critical thinking, madman, ramblings, silly, why not both