Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > Halls of Lordaeron

Old 04-21-2017, 10:01 AM

Eternal

I am still hoping this (as in Sky's comment) is some sort of unhandy hyperbole, since saying that white nationalism is all about the most extreme version of malign chauvinism while claiming that black nationalism contains no such elements at all is one of the most absurd claims I have seen in these parts yet. And there's no small amount of contenders either.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:10 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
I am still hoping this (as in Sky's comment) is some sort of unhandy hyperbole, since saying that white nationalism is all about the most extreme version of malign chauvinism while claiming that black nationalism contains no such elements at all is one of the most absurd claims I have seen in these parts yet. And there's no small amount of contenders either.
It's not hyperbole, he's just that idiotic.
Why would I want to play some cunt in a dress with hands softer than a baby's belly when I can be a hulking motherfucker wearing spiked pauldrons the size of your mother's sweet ass and a loincloth that barely conceals the massive erection I'm rocking?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post
It's *OK* to have national pride, and to want to put your own country's interests first. That's reasonable. It's also OK to expect immigrants to embrace your culture before they try to shove theirs down your throat... after cutting your throat open...
Old 04-21-2017, 10:14 AM

Elune

I don't think the retard comment was warranted but there are places I can't go in Indianapolis or I will get beat up for being white. Black nationalism can be just as bad.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:15 AM

Site Staff - Moderator
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

Shadow Orb

Sure is being unhelpful in here.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:40 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mertico View Post
Why is that? If that's the case then you should have no problem defending the idea.
You're claiming a superficial similarity is equivalent to a fundamental similarity.

No offense, man, but you're starting to remind me of necrophotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:00 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

Hammerbrew: I have to remind you that you're still on probation from the temporary ban you received the last time you started directly attacking other posters, so calling people retards, cunts, idiots etc. isn't helping your case. Nazja already tried to gently nudge you, now me. It's just a warning this time, but try to stay away from the personal insults.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:03 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Just to be clear, an unflattering comparison isn't the same thing as a direct insult, right?
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-21-2017, 11:23 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
You're claiming a superficial similarity is equivalent to a fundamental similarity.

No offense, man, but you're starting to remind me of necrophotic.
How is asking you to explain your ideas the same as droning on about warlocks being necromancers and threatening people?

Per Wikipedia on both:

"Black nationalism (BN) advocates a racial definition (or redefinition) of national identity for African Americans. There are different indigenous nationalist philosophies but the principles of all black nationalist ideologies are unity and self-determination—that is, separation, or independence, from European society."

"White nationalism is a type of nationalism or pan-nationalism which holds the belief that white people are a race and seeks to develop and maintain a white national identity. Its proponents identify with and are attached to the concept of a white nation. White nationalists seek to ensure the survival of (what they see as) the white race, and the cultures of historically white states. They hold that white people should maintain their majority in majority-white countries, maintain their political and economic dominance, and that their cultures should be foremost."
Old 04-21-2017, 11:25 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Just to be clear, an unflattering comparison isn't the same thing as a direct insult, right?
It definitely isn't constructive, and should be avoided if at all possible, but comparing one poster to a more controversial one isn't the same as a direct insult.

Now, comparing a poster to Hitler, Stalin, or [Similarly contemptible historical figure]? I'd be more inclined to take a look at it.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:48 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellick View Post
It definitely isn't constructive, and should be avoided if at all possible, but comparing one poster to a more controversial one isn't the same as a direct insult.

Now, comparing a poster to Hitler, Stalin, or [Similarly contemptible historical figure]? I'd be more inclined to take a look at it.
Careful, Kellick, you're beginning to remind me a lot Trinity. Or maybe even Hezba Azgad.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:18 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
How is asking you to explain your ideas the same as droning on about warlocks being necromancers and threatening people?

Per Wikipedia on both:

"Black nationalism (BN) advocates a racial definition (or redefinition) of national identity for African Americans. There are different indigenous nationalist philosophies but the principles of all black nationalist ideologies are unity and self-determination—that is, separation, or independence, from European society."

"White nationalism is a type of nationalism or pan-nationalism which holds the belief that white people are a race and seeks to develop and maintain a white national identity. Its proponents identify with and are attached to the concept of a white nation. White nationalists seek to ensure the survival of (what they see as) the white race, and the cultures of historically white states. They hold that white people should maintain their majority in majority-white countries, maintain their political and economic dominance, and that their cultures should be foremost."
You remind of me of necrophotic insofar as you aren't actually addressing the issues with your posts, and instead are just throwing up a bunch of smoke in the hope of distracting people.

Take the post above, for example. You have changed the topic from the difference between BLM and white nationalism to the difference between black nationalism and white nationalism, which, granted, is an easier comparison to make, but isn't the comparison we were discussing.

Next, doubtless, you'll try to conflate BLM with black nationalism. Again. And before you know it, we'll be back where we started, but you'll ignore the circularity of your logic when I point it out. Again. And you'll counter my calling you out with some ambiguous insistence that I 'refute' your points, at which time you'll ignore any refutation by changing the goal posts and the whole thing will all start over again.

I know this because my future self came back in time to warn me not to take it any further. If you're looking to troll someone, Mertico, then I guess you got me. Well done. But I'm bored now, so I'm going to get off this ride right here.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-21-2017, 12:27 PM

Elune

Quote:
Hammerbrew: I have to remind you that you're still on probation from the temporary ban you received the last time you started directly attacking other posters, so calling people retards, cunts, idiots etc. isn't helping your case. Nazja already tried to gently nudge you, now me. It's just a warning this time, but try to stay away from the personal insults.
Oh I'm so sorry, I'd hate to upset someone's fee fees with a mean word on an internet forum.

Calling someone "idiotic" is now worthy of a warning.

Jesus Christ.

Oh and I look forward to seeing Yoggy get a 1 week vacation then, given he's insulting people practically every post he makes. But I won't hold my breath, given it was Cantus that banned me and we all know he's -so- consistent with his powers. Really makes you think.
Why would I want to play some cunt in a dress with hands softer than a baby's belly when I can be a hulking motherfucker wearing spiked pauldrons the size of your mother's sweet ass and a loincloth that barely conceals the massive erection I'm rocking?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post
It's *OK* to have national pride, and to want to put your own country's interests first. That's reasonable. It's also OK to expect immigrants to embrace your culture before they try to shove theirs down your throat... after cutting your throat open...

Last edited by Hammerbrew; 04-21-2017 at 12:31 PM..
Old 04-21-2017, 12:51 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerbrew View Post
Oh I'm so sorry, I'd hate to upset someone's fee fees with a mean word on an internet forum.

Calling someone "idiotic" is now worthy of a warning.

Jesus Christ.

Oh and I look forward to seeing Yoggy get a 1 week vacation then, given he's insulting people practically every post he makes. But I won't hold my breath, given it was Cantus that banned me and we all know he's -so- consistent with his powers. Really makes you think.
Despite his skirting the rules by spacing his offending posts with enough time, Yogg's already been warned, and a number of his more offending posts have been erased.

Ease off there, Aurore.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:00 PM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

Both White Nationalism and Black Nationalism are colonial phenomena. The old nations practices other kinds of nationalisms.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 04-21-2017, 01:47 PM

Elune

Quote:
Despite his skirting the rules by spacing his offending posts with enough time, Yogg's already been warned, and a number of his more offending posts have been erased.

Ease off there, Aurore.
May I make a suggestion?

If you are going to warn some contencious posters in private, do so for all.

Now I'm wondering why Hammerbro was warned publicly and not Yoggy. I know from past moderation, this was really a problem staff didnt take into account, and the "public" nature of the warning for specific posters began to be taken as some mods participating in "callout culture". Some posters felt it was a way to shame or drive them away by making a public event out of the warning.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:57 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
May I make a suggestion?

If you are going to warn some contencious posters in private, do so for all.

Now I'm wondering why Hammerbro was warned publicly and not Yoggy. I know from past moderation, this was really a problem staff didnt take into account, and the "public" nature of the warning for specific posters began to be taken as some mods participating in "callout culture". Some posters felt it was a way to shame or drive them away by making a public event out of the warning.
Yoggy was publicly told to cool down/back off some weeks ago. I don't much care for cloak and dagger. I'll only resort to personal messages in response to personal messages.

For good or ill, I prefer the soft touch approach to moderation. I'd much rather deescalate than ban.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:12 PM

Elune

Quote:
You remind of me of necrophotic insofar as you aren't actually addressing the issues with your posts, and instead are just throwing up a bunch of smoke in the hope of distracting people.

Take the post above, for example. You have changed the topic from the difference between BLM and white nationalism to the difference between black nationalism and white nationalism, which, granted, is an easier comparison to make, but isn't the comparison we were discussing.

Next, doubtless, you'll try to conflate BLM with black nationalism. Again. And before you know it, we'll be back where we started, but you'll ignore the circularity of your logic when I point it out. Again. And you'll counter my calling you out with some ambiguous insistence that I 'refute' your points, at which time you'll ignore any refutation by changing the goal posts and the whole thing will all start over again.

I know this because my future self came back in time to warn me not to take it any further. If you're looking to troll someone, Mertico, then I guess you got me. Well done. But I'm bored now, so I'm going to get off this ride right here.
I'm not going try to conflate BLM with black nationalism because it is black nationalism or at least black separatism. BLM promotes black interests, which is fine, so long as you aren't afraid to point it out. Which I'm not. However, it is equally fair to promote white interests. Which do overlap with black interests some of the time, but supporting BLM is not in the interest of whites.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:56 PM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Quote:
I'm not going try to conflate BLM with black nationalism because it is black nationalism or at least black separatism. BLM promotes black interests, which is fine, so long as you aren't afraid to point it out. Which I'm not. However, it is equally fair to promote white interests. Which do overlap with black interests some of the time, but supporting BLM is not in the interest of whites.
Was Martin Luther King Jr a black nationalist or at least black separatist in your opinion? He seemed to only promote black interests.
Member #14
Old 04-21-2017, 03:09 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
Was Martin Luther King Jr a black nationalist or at least black separatist in your opinion? He seemed to only promote black interests.
Judge people by the content of their character and not the color of their skin? That is ant racial.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:11 PM

Elune

Quote:
Judge people by the content of their character and not the color of their skin? That is ant racial.
Yeah, but that was just his justification to give black people equal rights. He never tried to expand rights for white people!
Member #14
Old 04-21-2017, 03:13 PM

Elune

Quote:
Yeah, but that was just his justification to give black people equal rights. He never tried to expand rights for white people!
Yes he did. White people couldn't use black facilities either. Now everyone can use everything. It was race neutral.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:24 PM

Elune

Quote:
Yes he did. White people couldn't use black facilities either. Now everyone can use everything. It was race neutral.
*headpats*
Member #14
Old 04-21-2017, 03:26 PM

Elune

Quote:
*headpats*
You can't do that if you are shorter than me.

MLK wasn't a black nationalist. He wanted people to be treated as individuals

You are thinking of Malcolm X.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:32 PM

Elune

Quote:
To an extent, yes. As promoting white interests is seen as many different variants of white nationalism, you must see MLK in the same way.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:36 PM

Elune

Quote:
To an extent, yes. As promoting white interests is seen as many different variants of white nationalism, you must see MLK in the same way.
I'm not sure you understand the point of "promoting black interests."
Member #14

Tags
realspace, serious business