Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 06-10-2016, 09:07 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
Honestly, of all the things, "Crazy black mystery cube with magic chick in it" is the one thing I said "this is just flat out dumb" in the movie. Of all the things to totally invent *just* for the movie, what the fuck? I didn't even realize that was Glenn Close because you see her for like 1 minute and she's got all CGI bullshit around her. And like I said, the scene literally did *nothing* to advance the plot. "What should I do?!" "Oh, you already know the answer." THEN WHY THE HELL DID YOU HAVE TO TALK TO HER?! The whole thing was an OBVIOUS excuse to throw Dalaran in the movie. I mean, there was no other reason. Khadgar knew Medivh was corrupted.... it's not like he *learned* anything by going there. She didn't give him some kind of weapon to stop Medivh. The scene literally served no purpose but to pad the FX budget.

Edit: Ok I need to rant a little more. Here's why Aegwynn would be so much better. First of all, you are already re-writing the lore. So fuck it, just put her in Dalaran. There, you have your floating Dalaran scene you wanted to get in the movie. You don't need to make her a renegade Guardian, it's not honestly that relevant to the lore (at least when you are rewriting things... it's relevant in the context that Medivh wasn't supposed to exist and she was basically stealing the Guardian mantle, but that is "in the weeds" stuff you don't need to bother with in a movie). Just have Khadgar go to Dalaran, bam, Aegwynn is there. Put her on the council, who cares. Have him mention the fel magic in his eyes and she gets all concerned. You can either use this as a chance to bring up her fight with Sargeras, or just hint at it (I do agree with their choice that it wasn't a necessary thing to *actually* reference in the movie as they establish "fel magic corrupts" good enough to justify his actions but don't exclude a "surprise" of Sargeras for sequels). She says something actually useful, like either explaining that Medivh may be possessed by a demon, or giving Khadgar some insight in how to stop him, or something... no black crazy cube... bleh..

She also works better because she's been featured in more things - several of the manuals, several books (The Last Guardian, Cycle of Hatred, a lot of the random "lore" books). There are reasons people may have heard of her and can latch on to "Oh, this is Medivh's mother!" Alodi is mentioned in... one manga story... maybe like 10 pages long? The fact that *I* didn't recognize the name is enough reason why it's a dumb choice. But even given your average movie-goer, someone who doesn't know shit about the WarCraft lore, just saying "This is Medivh's mom" is at least an "Ah, this person has a legit connection to the story."

Ok, done ranting
That was random to be sure. But what she told Khadgar and how he used that. Namely the "light is darkness, darkness is light" epiphany to drain Medivh of fel magic was the WTF moment in the movie for me. It is conflating light and arcane + fel and void respectively which is kinda bad and pointless but it also doesn't make too much sense. Why does the realization even let him do it, knowing stuff doesn't automatically let one manipulate magical energies they were not nearly capable of before.
So basically the magic is dubious and Khadgar shouldn't have been capable of it. It would have been much simpler to distract Medivh and cut him with something sharp, like in the original story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arakiba View Post
(couldn't see the titular bladefist, though).
I did, pretty sure.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:25 PM

Keeper of Lore
BattleTag: Warlock#1498

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arakiba View Post
One other small touch I liked, Grom and Kargath both show up a few times, though neither have speaking lines. Well, it may not be them, but one has Grom's topknot and tattooed jaw, the other is pale and has small spikes out of his upper arms like Kargath (couldn't see the titular bladefist, though).
I didn't see Kargath but I'm pretty sure I saw Kilrogg near the end
Old 06-11-2016, 04:10 AM

Eternal

They said this movie is for the fans.
I knew they weren't kidding when the movie started with an homage to one of the franchises most famous cinematics.

Honestly, as a fan, I really enjoyed the movie. But I do agree with the general consensus that it would have needed two things:
1. An LotR-styled prologue sequence for exposition about Draenor and Fell energy.
2. Aegwynn instead of Alodi (and no cosmic cube, leave that to Marvel please) and have her scene explain the origins of the Guardian.

Everything else was just fine in my book.

So...this gift that Medivh gave to Garona doesn't happen to be a magical impregnation? Med'an incoming? *shudders*
Hammerbrew commenting on Anders Behring Breivik's killing spree - 2017
Old 06-11-2016, 07:22 AM

Elune
BattleTag: DrRobert#1475

It was cool for the Warcraft stuff, but it was a ridiculous movie. I had non-Warcraft friends there who just snickered at a lot of the dialogue. There really was some hardcore cringe dialogue. A few too many "For Azeroth"s. Too many "emotional" moments that I didn't feel were earned.

Garona emoting way to hard - her performance was more hamfisted than the CGI fucking orcs. I was annoyed by her character. She was just an emotional wreck the whole time, just losing her shit at how just and kind and forgiving the humans could be. Every time a human is nice to her she looks like she's about to cry. Didn't see enough of the hardened, badass assassin.

I really liked Medivh and Khadgar, but I don't think we got enough time with either character. Especially Medivh. His transformation into demon form didn't land for me, I just didn't care at all. I just wish there had been more time to just inhabit the world a little bit. I really liked the domestic orc scene at the beginning, wish there was more stuff like that. And the ending scenes couldn't be more overdone and fanservice-y. I just kind of rolled my eyes at the final shot with baby Thrall.

Hopefully the Duncan Jones director's cut will come out eventually.
Now imagine a music, dear readers, heavy with cellos at a rapid staccato. Cellos held between thighs in a dark room. The little room of Harry's chest as he walks with his teammates to the opening gate of his first Test of Cribbage. They are a rag-tag group of champions, this bunch, and with Harry, the near-perfect new god, they know they will dominate the day. Harry is a world laced with rivers of wizardly blood. He is ready.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:10 AM

Keeper of Lore

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey1980 View Post
They said this movie is for the fans.
I knew they weren't kidding when the movie started with an homage to one of the franchises most famous cinematics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOdTeT1xUQQ
Yeah, I'm sure it was intended to be. It's funny to watch that again, I remember when it came out that was like, state-of-the-art amazing CGI and now it looks kind of crappy (although not *that* bad which is saying a lot)
Old 06-11-2016, 09:50 AM

Elune

Quote:
(although not *that* bad which is saying a lot)
It really is. And that's by far the WIII cinematic with the weakest CGI. The others hold up almost bizarrely well.

Blizzard is actually being run by time travellers, who are using temporal loops as an iterative process for improving their products. Our point in the timestream is after most WCIII improvement loops have been done, but before a significant start was made on the WoW improvement loops. Our universe will end when the last WoW expansion comes out, for that is when Metzen travels back in time to 2003.

Last edited by ijffdrie; 06-11-2016 at 09:53 AM..
Old 06-11-2016, 12:28 PM

Elune

Quote:
3. Llane wasn't bad, either. And, his death made a lot of sense (more on this later...)
Quote:
6. Garona was better than I expected. And, I thought her "betrayal" of Llane made a LOT more sense in the film than it ever did in-game.

I hated it. LOLIMINDCONTROLYOU isn't anything inspired by any means, but the way they 'justified' it was retarded. "Garona, I need you to kill me so you can live so that there can be peace between Humans and Orcs." Uh, yeah, because making everybody believe you literally backstabbed the guy who gave the Half-Orc a chance and showing everybody they're really just invading murderous scumbags is sure going to go over well.

Llane telling her to kill him to deny Blackhand the glory and because he wanted to save her was fine.

Gul'dan mind controlling her also gives the Normies some more relevance between the two. We just sort of see him dragging her around and getting freed by Durotan. That's about the extent of the relationship. Being mind controlled would also go some way to making him seem more menacing and give a reason why he pretty much does fuck all in the final battle after "AHH SAVE ME ORGRIM"'ing Durotan.

Last edited by Drusus; 06-11-2016 at 12:30 PM..
Old 06-11-2016, 12:41 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusus View Post
I hated it. LOLIMINDCONTROLYOU isn't anything inspired by any means, but the way they 'justified' it was retarded. "Garona, I need you to kill me so you can live so that there can be peace between Humans and Orcs." Uh, yeah, because making everybody believe you literally backstabbed the guy who gave the Half-Orc a chance and showing everybody they're really just invading murderous scumbags is sure going to go over well.
Llane's thinking was that killing him would give Garona a lot of clout and respect amongst the Horde. Her word has a certain weight now, meaning she might be able to change the Horde from within.
Old 06-11-2016, 01:06 PM

Elune

Quote:
Llane's thinking was that killing him would give Garona a lot of clout and respect amongst the Horde. Her word has a certain weight now, meaning she might be able to change the Horde from within.
It's just a very bad plan. He even says it's so there can be peace between Humans and Orcs. What, are the humans just going to forget she backstabbed him?

It works A LOT better if he just has her kill him because he wants to save her. Then she can decide to 'improve' the Horde of her own free will because of his sacrifice than because he planted the idea in her head. How they'd get that across without a monologue is beyond me, but hey.
Old 06-11-2016, 01:40 PM

Eternal

A very bad plan is still better than no plan at all. Sure, it's a bit of a gamble but what was the alternative? They were surrounded, their deaths certain. He had to think on his feet and he decided to not just safe Garona but also try and plant a tiny seed of a future peace.
What's the worst that could happen? Garona fails and things don't change, which is something that would otherwise happen anyhow.
Old 06-11-2016, 01:50 PM

Arch-Druid

To those who thought they saw Kargath.... Yeah, it was totally him. Bladefist and all (and that hand-sword is massive!). He appears several times. When Blackhand is being punished is one. Another is when the portal is closed after Medivh dies and you see him and Grom promptly start slaughtering everybody there. He also appears when Gul'dan is shoving his way through the Horde to reach Lothar. Right after he passes Grom he goes to Kargath.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magistrix Verdande View Post
I think I could go down to McDonalds, order a strawberry milkshake, take the bus to the park, enjoy the weather, and then go home, and it'd still be enough to somehow piss off alliance players.
Old 06-11-2016, 03:57 PM

Arch-Druid

My mom enjoyed the film.

Me.

1) I found it hilarious when the Orcs tried to go behind the portal to get at the humans.

2) Loved how beast the female Orcs were, if only our female orcs were that beast. Instead of being...pretty. *bloodrage*

3) I am glad that the elves are of no great importance to this movie and not shoe-horned in like Legolas.

4) Doomhammer betrayed Durotan, but at least he freed Draka in the end.

5) I was not expecting Gul'dan to go hulk. I mean holy shit. Gul'dan fricken beat Durotan with bare hands. Like holy shit.

6) They did some great world building.

7) I like how they made Lothar imperfect with a few lines about how he blamed his son for killing his wife. Normally I prefer Show rather than Tell. But you can piece together that in the past Lothar mistreated his son.

8) Lothar and Llane are good duo.

What I disliked.

1) None of the human characters were memorable.

2) Shoe-horned Lothar and Garona romance.

3) Shoe-horned Lothar's son.

4) It was mighty convenient for Ironforge to make guns right when the Orcs invade.

5) There should have been more humans kicking ass than just Lothar and Llane. I understand Orcs are bigger, but there should be some humans whooping butt besides the main character.

6) Overly dramatic Garona killing overly dramatic Wrynn making an overdramatic scene. So much cheesiness.

Overall I found the movie to be enjoyable, but forgettable.
Old 06-11-2016, 06:32 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Saw it. Was happy with it. Not quite sure what some things were about.

Based on their minimal usage and their appearances in the initial concept art, I think that the Ironforge and Dalaran cameos were due to making the sets/CGI first and then throwing them in.

Quote:
As mentioned, some things were glossed over for the worse of new audiences. "Oh, we'll go talk to the Guardian! The Guardian will help us!" Who is the Guardian? Why do they revere him so much? You don't really know. The best you get is that Medivh is kind of a "bad ass mage" but they muddle this with stuff about how Khadgar was training to be the next Guardian (as if this is a thing they do and not something invented for the movie). I really feel like they dropped the ball here.
Yeah... was he the Guardian of Stormwind in this continuity? They even say it is just a title.

Quote:
I mean, yes and no... They don't really explain the green orcs much other than giving Gul'dan the power to make them (which is a change). The blood of Mannoroth could still factor in if they wanted it to (you could concoct some kind of explanation that Gul'dan has so much of it coursing through him that he can corrupt others himself... I dunno ).
They tie it up rather nicely. Steal life = fel power. No blood needed.

Demons might not even be real in the movie version. I am fairly certain that the singular demon that Garona says was talking to Gul'dan was Medivh, who is probably Garona's father.

Quote:
A basket that (intentionally?) looked like this:
I agree. The orange blanket was even the top part.

Quote:
She might be the WarCheif now. Doomhammer was just some orc.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.

Last edited by Revenant; 06-11-2016 at 06:35 PM..
Old 06-11-2016, 07:13 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Liked:

The characters. All of them were great and I enjoyed seeing them. None of them came across as too hammy or annoying. I suppose certain characters were a bit more dull than others, but overall I liked every moment of seeing all of them.

The CGI was good for the most part. The shot of Ironforge was very stellar and I like the depiction of the Dwarves. I want to see more of them in the sequel. I also really liked the scene where the gryphon rips up a bunch of Orcs, that was amazing to watch and the fight scene between Durotan and Gul'dan was well done even though I do agree that Gul'dan was a bit too overdone.

Didn't like:

The weird changes from the original source material that seemed to be entirely pointless, such as making Orgrim a Frostwolf and making Dalaran already floating. I'm guessing making Orgrim a Frostwolf was supposed to make his betrayal carry more weight, but I think it would have been just as effective if they made the point across that Durotan and Orgrim were childhood friends. As for Dalaran, I'm... really not sure why it's already floating other than I guess to make it look more impressive and distinctive from the other human kingdoms. Really, that's the only thing I can think of.

The pacing felt a bit too rushed and there needed to be more exposition. I can see why people are saying that this is a movie made for the fans and this is exactly it. It's made for the fans, so I don't get why they'd be upset that critics didn't like it because the critics don't know ANYTHING about the movie. In my opinion a movie should not require prior understanding of the source material to enjoy and should stand on its own.

I really wish they had given more development to Lothar's son in order to make us feel bad about his death and more cathartic when Lothar defeats Blackhand. I thought it was sad that he lost a son but it's hard to really feel something if we didn't know him well enough.

Overall, I give the movie a 7/10. It had flaws that I could easily see but they didn't deter my enjoyment of the film. I don't mind seeing more sequels as long as they learn from their mistakes here.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:27 PM

Elune

SO... I saw the movie today.. It was great.. I loved it.

BUT... the best thing was the people behind me in the concession stand.

There was this guy and girl there, and this guy.. Remember when Archer was kidnapped by Pirates? And that pirate captain was all "Funny guy, you mom super rich?" This guy behind me sounded EXACTLY like him, down to the accent. So, ok.. They were talking, and the girl mentions Phasers.. And this guy was like "yeah, yeah, those things from Ghostrider"... And there was this pause, which he quickly covered with "Yeah, I plan on going to travel, see some ruins and stuff" so the girl said "That's so cool.. I went to the ruins where they filmed the Mortal Kombat movies...." And the guy replied with, still in that exact same accent and voice... "Yeah, yeah,,, that movie based off those books yeah"..

It was fantastical.
Old 06-13-2016, 12:35 AM
BattleTag: CptCarrot #1688

The critics weren't completely wrong.

But, you know what, they also weren't totally right. I enjoyed the hell out of myself at this movie. most nits that can be picked can be backed up with argument probably, but whatever. The virtues outshined the flaws by a huge margin.

The orcs were pretty much flawless, the casting was perfect, their dynamics were so engrossing and Gul'dan stole the show with every scene he was in.

Lothar was probably miscast, but whatever, fimmel was fine. I thought the young fumbling Khadgar would be a weak point but he actually ended up being the heart of the human side of the story (the heart that lothar should have been, but whatever). Ben Foster did great with Medivh who was a lot of fun to parse in every scene he was in.

Garona was better than I expected (seems to be a common refrain). Her assassinating King Llane the way she did actually worked pretty well, though I think the dialogue in that moment could have used another draft haha

The big stand out scenes were the Mak'Gora between Gul'dan and Durotan, Khadgar and Medivhs interactions, and every single damn time doomhammer swung that hammer. Draka was really fantastic too, I really wish she had some more screen time (or at least had taken out a few more orcs before dying, damn!).

Stormwind remains unscathed. Pretty good spot for Warcraft 2 to open with though, hmmmmmm. I think overall there was probably like... 15-20 more minutes of movie that could have allowed it to breathe a little more? A directors cut would be fascinating to watch.

As a movie, it's eyes were definitely bigger than it's plate, but like any hugely ambitious piece of art, the more you step back and appreciate the big picture of what it was going for the better it will be (and the more fun you will have). Having only seen it the once tonight, I'm going to be presumptuous and say this movie will hold up better with secondary viewings.

Maybe I'll eat those words, but either way, I really really hope we get a sequel.

Quote:

So...this gift that Medivh gave to Garona doesn't happen to be a magical impregnation? Med'an incoming? *shudders*
I feel like the movie heavily implied Medivh was her dad?

Last edited by Porimlys; 06-13-2016 at 12:58 AM..
Old 06-13-2016, 12:52 AM
BattleTag: CptCarrot #1688

Default double post don't care

Quote:
Not letting the Dark Portal actually open though is a thread they are gonna need to address in the next movie. They need to bring the rest of the Horde through *somehow*
Sounds like a great way to introduce Cho'Gall to me :0
Old 06-13-2016, 11:17 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Ganishka #1520

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
SO... I saw the movie today.. It was great.. I loved it.

BUT... the best thing was the people behind me in the concession stand.

There was this guy and girl there, and this guy.. Remember when Archer was kidnapped by Pirates? And that pirate captain was all "Funny guy, you mom super rich?" This guy behind me sounded EXACTLY like him, down to the accent. So, ok.. They were talking, and the girl mentions Phasers.. And this guy was like "yeah, yeah, those things from Ghostrider"... And there was this pause, which he quickly covered with "Yeah, I plan on going to travel, see some ruins and stuff" so the girl said "That's so cool.. I went to the ruins where they filmed the Mortal Kombat movies...." And the guy replied with, still in that exact same accent and voice... "Yeah, yeah,,, that movie based off those books yeah"..

It was fantastical.
That guy sounds like an idiot. A smug idiot who was VERY obviously hitting on that girl by trying to sound "knowledgeable" and "well-traveled". Sounds like the kind of thing that would leave me laughing internally for hours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Baras
A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel MY ANGER!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowordfun
The next time you feel like you're about to be triggered, put the barrel in your mouth.

Last edited by Ganishka; 06-13-2016 at 11:31 AM..
Old 06-13-2016, 02:26 PM

Keeper of Lore

kek

Last edited by Warlock; 06-13-2016 at 02:28 PM..
Old 06-14-2016, 08:02 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

You people are horrible who overreacted to the movie. All of you. Especially tumblr. Biggest weakness of the movie was the lack of explaining things but that's the shame of not having 3 hours or marvel styled movie building.

I loved fel. It looked cool and felt evil and op. Arcane was cool too. I liked how they had incantations and drew runes. Orcs were the better part of the cgi. I saw Kargath and Grom a lot. Blackhand I'm mixed on, but I guess they're leaning towards him not being completely horrible and a puppet, which I'm fine with. I liked Durotan. It's better for him and Draka to not be green imo. Garona being skinny made sense because they drilled it into our heads that she's different.

My biggest peeve was Lothar. I know why they gave him a son, and made him an attractive young white guy, but why focus on him losing everything, when he's related to the queen? That made no sense if they intend on her being black. Varian made no sense if he's biracial. Why give him a kid sister unless she's going to die? Alodi was dumb. Just use Aegwynn. The light and darkness phrase was dumb too imo. Thought we were getting light and shadow. I have no idea why they made Garona's mother an Orc, when she understood the Draenei. Were they trying to imply that Medivh is her father? How Llane died was dumb, and I didn't like how Blackhand died. I also didn't like how they treated Ogrim. He and Garona could've worked together to overthrow Gul'Dan while looking like he sold out his people.

Overall it was decent. Not the best or worst.

Do yourselves a favor and just go watch it yourselves. Don't trust any critics or ranting fans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.

Tags
entertainment, warcraft movie