Also, isn't THQ dead?
Hammerbrew commenting on Anders Behring Breivik's killing spree - 2017
Old 11-24-2017, 05:12 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Question: Nier Automata?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 11-24-2017, 05:21 PM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
Question: Nier Automata?
I hear it's a game.
Member #14
Old 11-24-2017, 05:31 PM

Elune

Shadow Orb

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey1980 View Post
Dafuq?? That game is 11 years old!

Also, isn't THQ dead?
Yeah another company retook the IP. That game may be old, but it's still my childhood "main game". Once the session will be over, I'll have plenty of time to try it.

Even though I do hope they updated the graphics a little.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:07 PM

Priestess of the Moon

I was feeling old school so picked up Age of Empires III and Homeworld.
"Be it so. This burning of widows is your custom; prepare the funeral pile. But my nation has also a custom. When men burn women alive we hang them, and confiscate all their property. My carpenters shall therefore erect gibbets on which to hang all concerned when the widow is consumed. Let us all act according to national customs."
Charles James Napier
Old 11-25-2017, 07:28 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
I hear it's a game.
Checks out.

New question: play?
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-25-2017, 08:17 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Checks out.

New question: play?
You can play it yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
Yeah but where would this forum be if not for people speculating endlessly about things Blizzard doesn't give a shit about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:49 AM

Eternal

A new expansion for Civ 6 has been announced.

These are the features:
  • GREAT AGES: As your civilization ebbs and flows, and you reach milestone Historic Moments, you will experience Dark Ages or Golden Ages, each providing specific challenges or bonuses based on your actions in-game. Rise triumphantly from a Dark Age, and your next Golden Age will be even stronger – a Heroic Age.
  • LOYALTY: Cities now have individual Loyalty to your leadership – let it fall too low, and face the consequences of low yields, revolts, and the potential to lose your city to another civilization, or its own independence. But one civilization’s loss can be your gain as you inspire Loyalty among cities throughout the map and further expand your borders.
  • GOVERNORS: Recruit, appoint, and upgrade powerful characters with unique specialization bonuses and promotion trees to customize your cities, and reinforce Loyalty.
  • ENHANCED ALLIANCES: An enhanced alliances system allows players to form different types of alliances and build bonuses over time.
  • EMERGENCIES: When a civilization grows too powerful, other civilizations can join a pact against the threatening civilization and earn rewards, or penalties, when the Emergency ends.
  • TIMELINE: Review your civilization’s history at any time with the new Timeline feature, a visual journey through the Historic Moments that you encountered on your path to victory.
  • NEW LEADERS AND CIVS: Nine leaders and eight new civilizations are introduced. Each brings unique bonuses and gameplay, as well as a total of eight unique units, two unique buildings, four unique improvements, and two unique districts.
  • NEW GLOBAL CONTENT: Eight new world wonders, seven natural wonders, four new units, two new tile improvements, two new districts, fourteen new buildings, and three new resources have been added.
  • IMPROVED GAMEPLAY SYSTEMS: The Government system has been enhanced with new Policies and additional improvements have been made to existing systems.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:53 PM

Elune

First world premiere at the Game Awards is a World War Z game.

That's a fucking timely release, ain't it? Striking while the anvil is frozen in a glacier.

edit: Death Stranding makes less sense the more I see of it but god damn do I look forward to that insanity.

Last edited by Arakiba; 12-07-2017 at 08:30 PM..
Old 12-12-2017, 04:54 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Ubisoft sent out one of those company surveys that leaks details about future games via "what would you like to see in the next game" multiple choice questions. This one was for Assassin's Creed, so one of these setting is probably the next game:

-Ancient Rome (I'd say this one is the most likely since they've got all those art assets from the end of Origins)

-Hannibal's invasion of Rome (listed separately)

-Feudal Japan (a fan favorite request so this also seems likely)

-The Imperial Dynasties of Medieval China (Shao Jun in a main series game perhaps?)

-Medieval England in the days of King Arthur (They specifically mentioned it being about King Arthur, so... interesting idea at the very least)

-Mongolia during the reign of Genghis Khan

-The Spanish Inquisition (a tie-in to the movie)

-Ancient Greece during the war between Sparta and Athens

-The Russian Revolution during WWI

-Joan of Arc in the Hundred Years' War

-Conquests of Alexander the Great

-The Age of Vikings

-The invasion of the Conquistadors in pre-colonial South and Central America

I'm surprised to see how many out there suggestions there are, and that it includes settings pre-Assassin's Creed Origins.

I'd say the most likely are in order of likelihood: Ancient Rome, Feudal Japan, The Spanish Inquisition (since they made sure to point out it was from the movie), or Medieval England (since it being about King Arthur seemed a little too specific).

Last edited by Insane Guy of Doom; 12-12-2017 at 05:00 PM..
Old 12-13-2017, 12:21 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Guy of Doom View Post
-The Spanish Inquisition (a tie-in to the movie)
I can't wait to see more historical bullshit about the goddamn inquisition. Sigh.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 12-13-2017, 07:38 PM

Banished

yes AC lowkey elevated historical BS to an art level so it's fine with me. I would have liked whiter, more greekish Cleo tho
Old 12-21-2017, 06:28 AM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

There were a lot of really good games this year, and since nobody else has been using this thread, I feel like listing my games of the year, in no particular order.

-Resident Evil 7
-The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
-Life is Strange: Before the Storm
-Five Nights at Freddy's 6: Freddy Fazbear's Pizzeria Simulator
-Assassin's Creed: Origins
-Super Mario Odyssey

Honorable Mentions:
-Bendy and the Ink Machine (only because its not entirely released yet, otherwise it would be on the main list)
-Mass Effect: Andromeda (heavily flawed, but I had a lot of fun with it, like Dragon Age II)
-Dishonored: Death of the Outsider
Old 12-21-2017, 06:33 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

Think the biggest thing about gaming this year for me was that.. The games i wanted was so disappointed i started pirating.
Btag is Hulk#23939
Old 12-22-2017, 05:51 AM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

Think I've gotten more play out of Star Realms IOS and Hollow Knight than anything else this year... of course I don't have much time to play games as it is.
Old 12-26-2017, 01:41 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Stncold#1786

The more rumors leak about the next Battlefield the more I think about skipping it. Given how I hate almost every other installment and how I think that 1 is up there with 2 and Bad Company 2 as the best in the franchise, there's a good chance of it happening.
Old 12-26-2017, 03:41 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorenec View Post
The more rumors leak about the next Battlefield the more I think about skipping it. Given how I hate almost every other installment and how I think that 1 is up there with 2 and Bad Company 2 as the best in the franchise, there's a good chance of it happening.
It's the current year. Why are you still buying EA games like a chump?
Member #14
Old 12-26-2017, 10:49 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
It's the current year. Why are you still buying EA games like a chump?
Cause I really love my huge maps, 64 player, chaos and shit flying everywhere multiplayer shooters and Battlefield is really the only franchise that provides that nowadays. Overwatch was a fun novelty when it first came out but the compact nature of it and the existence of Pharah has made me largely stop playing it. Make no mistake it's a good game but TF2 is the only small-scale shooter I ever truly fell in love with.

And on the subject of EA games for some stupid ass reason I actually found Andromeda to be overall enjoyable. Nothing on the level of ME1 and 2 but certainly had its moments. Every now and then I load up Sims 4 and fuck around in that too.

Last edited by Yorenec; 12-26-2017 at 10:52 PM..
Old 12-26-2017, 11:55 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorenec View Post
Cause I really love my huge maps, 64 player, chaos and shit flying everywhere multiplayer shooters and Battlefield is really the only franchise that provides that nowadays. Overwatch was a fun novelty when it first came out but the compact nature of it and the existence of Pharah has made me largely stop playing it. Make no mistake it's a good game but TF2 is the only small-scale shooter I ever truly fell in love with.

And on the subject of EA games for some stupid ass reason I actually found Andromeda to be overall enjoyable. Nothing on the level of ME1 and 2 but certainly had its moments. Every now and then I load up Sims 4 and fuck around in that too.
Have you considered Rising Storm 2, Tannenberg, Holdfast, scrubg, Squad, etc?
Member #14
Old 12-27-2017, 08:40 AM

Site Staff - Moderator
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
I can't wait to see more historical bullshit about the goddamn inquisition. Sigh.
I think we just have to face the fact that the history of the Spanish Inquisition belongs to memes. Not unlike the "everyone thought the Earth was flat" meme, some things are always going to be misconstrued and/or misunderstood by the non-historian public.

Not that we can't get annoyed when game devs perpetuate these counterfactuals, mind.
Old 12-27-2017, 11:15 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellick View Post
I think we just have to face the fact that the history of the Spanish Inquisition belongs to memes. Not unlike the "everyone thought the Earth was flat" meme, some things are always going to be misconstrued and/or misunderstood by the non-historian public.

Not that we can't get annoyed when game devs perpetuate these counterfactuals, mind.
Well, it's garbage from the past. I wouldn't care that much if people weren't that retarded to keep bringing shit from 300 years ago like it happened yesterday and it's our fault or some shit.

Half of it being fake war propaganda of centuries ago only makes it worse. British Empire taking over and all of that. Still sad to see Spain and Portugal getting all the blame for "genocide of poor natives", when our former colonies still have natives, and the British ones were cleansed to the ground.

It's called the Black Legend of Spain, and it has quite some history.

It's specially retarded with some strikingly-white South American people, whose ancestors got rich invading and pillaging their home countries, but now they play the victim and pretend Europe is to blame. My ancestors were slave-tier peasants, and I just can't stand the hypocrisy.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 12-27-2017, 12:19 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

So what was the Inquisition really like?
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-27-2017, 01:14 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Have you considered Rising Storm 2, Tannenberg, Holdfast, scrubg, Squad, etc?
Tannenberg is fun gameplay-wise but it only has like four maps and I only really liked one of them, I don't like third person multiplayer shooters(with the sole exception of Global Agenda which is sadly now dead) and I refunded PUBG after 40 min of playing it anyway, and given the Unreal Engine's propensity for shitting itself when a ton of players are in the same area I can only imagine what the lag is like in big battles with Rising Storm and Holdfast.

In fact a quick google search brings up a ton of complaints of stuttering during big battles in Rising Storm 2 on high-end rigs, with the Unreal Engine being blamed as the culprit. I can complain about a lot of things with recent EA/Dice games but one of them I can't is fps lag/stuttering. Frostbite is pretty damn good at handling a ton of stuff on the screen at once.

Last edited by Yorenec; 12-27-2017 at 01:31 PM..
Old 12-27-2017, 05:21 PM

Elune

Quote:
So what was the Inquisition really like?
Same shit as rest of Europe, not worse not better. In Spain's case, it was mostly about watching for Moorish and Jewish converts, to make sure they weren't still practicing their previous religions.

Moors had invaded, stolen the land, and enslaved the local Christians for pretty much 770 years. Jews helped the Muslims with the invasion, and then profited from the new status quo. Both were pretty despised, so those who didn't convert were expelled.

Note that Visigoths ruled Spain, Portugal, and southern France back then, and they were in a civil war for the throne when the Muslims invaded. Northern Africa was inhabited by Iberians too, some Visigoth settlements, and then what remained of the Vandals, who ruled all the previous stuff before the Visigoths, and had established in what was previously Carthage. Northern Africa was pretty much razed to the ground by the Muslims, and the only former Iberian-related peoples who remain around there are some of the Berber tribes. That's why Morocco crying about Ceuta and Melilla (two enclaves in Northern Africa) is so hilarious.

So yeah, no demon hunters, mass purges of heretics, and stuff like that, I'm sorry. It was pretty much the same thing as the rest of the Inquisition around Europe. And yes, it was a Christianity-wide event, in case you thought it was Spanish-only for some reason. It was demonized as part of propaganda against Spain when the empire started its inevitable decay. Protestant-Catholic disputed were also involved.

Old 12-27-2017, 05:23 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Sounds like you're playing it down, now, almost as badly as everyone else plays it up.
Quote:
Quote:

Tags
damn cubes, general thread, literally video games, video games, wololo