Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 09-26-2013, 09:02 AM

Elune

Square-Enix is desperate for cash. Supposedly they'll be bankrupt by the end of FY 2015. Nosgoth is apparently the stripped-out multiplayer of a LoK game which was cancelled due to budget reductions.

This game is really exhibit A in how Eidos would be better off independent. Every year they carry the Japanese companies that are supposedly in charge and then get told their games didn't meet sales targets (partially because, in true Japanese fashion, digital copies of sales don't count even though that's the only release Sleeping Dogs got on PC).
Old 09-26-2013, 09:12 AM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ku'ja View Post
Okay so i was quite hyped for Nosgoth with it having a Chivalry feel with its multiplayer.. Instead having Vampires along to but then i got to the bit where it said its from the Legacy of Kain series and was mind blown.

Why don't they just make a new game..... you know like a remake even or just a sequel.
I don't get it either. LoK and Soul Reaver are classics that are loved by pretty much everyone who played them.
That game reminds me a bit too much of L4D Versus mode ...
Old 09-26-2013, 09:13 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordragon View Post
Square-Enix is desperate for cash. Supposedly they'll be bankrupt by the end of FY 2015. Nosgoth is apparently the stripped-out multiplayer of a LoK game which was cancelled due to budget reductions.

This game is really exhibit A in how Eidos would be better off independent. Every year they carry the Japanese companies that are supposedly in charge and then get told their games didn't meet sales targets (partially because, in true Japanese fashion, digital copies of sales don't count even though that's the only release Sleeping Dogs got on PC).
Are they in such dire straits? That's too bad. I was really hoping for a new (full) Deus Ex game. I've also got a few buddies up at Eidos Montreal.

What are the odds of Eidos somehow surviving Square collapsing?
Old 09-26-2013, 09:29 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
Are they in such dire straits? That's too bad. I was really hoping for a new (full) Deus Ex game. I've also got a few buddies up at Eidos Montreal.

about the same as getting the rayman 4 as promised
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurzog View Post
I love you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakurako View Post
based neokitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post

Shape up, Neocat. Fuck's sake.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:38 AM

Elune

Quote:

Eidos itself is doing very well and works as a mostly-independent studio. Last FY their main games (Deus Ex, Tomb Raider and Sleeping Dogs) moved units in excess of 10 million and all of them made a profit. Even Tomb Raider's 6m sales weren't enough for Square, whose business plan seems to be sinking all the cash they're making from Eidos' AAA games into the Japanese offices' boondoggles (see: FF13, FF14, FF15) while making a bunch of shitty mobile titles to try and milk their fanboys for cash.

When THQ collapsed, studios that published through them like Volition survived mostly intact. SR4 even came out right on time, the WWE license got bought up by 2k so that the new game could come out in November, and so on. The Eidos name has some prestige to it now after putting out a string of well-recieved hits these past two years, and the games they publish do pretty well, so odds are that when Square-Enix collapses under the weight of its own incompetence some time near April 2016, Eidos will get bought by someone mostly intact. I could see Valve going for it, since the Eidos games are staples of their catalog.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Eidos itself is doing very well and works as a mostly-independent studio. Last FY their main games (Deus Ex, Tomb Raider and Sleeping Dogs) moved units in excess of 10 million and all of them made a profit. Even Tomb Raider's 6m sales weren't enough for Square, whose business plan seems to be sinking all the cash they're making from Eidos' AAA games into the Japanese offices' boondoggles (see: FF13, FF14, FF15) while making a bunch of shitty mobile titles to try and milk their fanboys for cash.

When THQ collapsed, studios that published through them like Volition survived mostly intact. SR4 even came out right on time, the WWE license got bought up by 2k so that the new game could come out in November, and so on. The Eidos name has some prestige to it now after putting out a string of well-recieved hits these past two years, and the games they publish do pretty well, so odds are that when Square-Enix collapses under the weight of its own incompetence some time near April 2016, Eidos will get bought by someone mostly intact. I could see Valve going for it, since the Eidos games are staples of their catalog.
AFAIK Eidos and Ubisoft are pretty close and a lot of my buddies in Montreal have worked for both during their career. I could see them snagging them up.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:16 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
Yeah but where would this forum be if not for people speculating endlessly about things Blizzard doesn't give a shit about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:49 PM

The Digger

Just noticed that The Secret World is on sale for half off on Steam. Normally I wouldn't mention such a thing, but I consider it my sacred duty to spread the word of one of the best RPGs I've played in a long time.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:53 PM

Eternal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dHz4nYCDdM

This is how you suck.

At everything.

A beloved archetype of modern era!" - Kir the Gul'dan
Old 09-26-2013, 09:56 PM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkrin View Post
Just noticed that The Secret World is on sale for half off on Steam. Normally I wouldn't mention such a thing, but I consider it my sacred duty to spread the word of one of the best RPGs I've played in a long time.
Atta boy.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:03 AM

Elune

Are they kidding? Those buttons are badly spaced
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurzog View Post
I love you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakurako View Post
based neokitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post

Shape up, Neocat. Fuck's sake.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:04 AM

Site Staff - News
BattleTag: Greyhame#1747

Old 09-27-2013, 10:40 AM

Hypersensitive

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoshadow View Post
Are they kidding? Those buttons are badly spaced
It's weird at first, but it actually doesn't seem so bad after a while.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:17 AM

Elune

This is why I refuse to play anything not a playstation.
Quote:
Yeah but where would this forum be if not for people speculating endlessly about things Blizzard doesn't give a shit about
Quote:
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:24 PM

Eternal

Valve should just stick with making keys, crates, hats, and hd versions of flawed 10 year old games with bad mechanics.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:59 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
This is why I refuse to play anything not a playstation.
You're on a site for a PC game. You know that right?
Old 09-27-2013, 01:04 PM

Elune

Quote:
You're on a site for a PC game. You know that right?
Fuck outta here with that logic
Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-27-2013, 02:30 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DrRobert#1475

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arashi View Post
Valve should just stick with making keys, crates, hats, and hd versions of flawed 10 year old games with bad mechanics.
You just wait. I see big things in the future of Valve. Yeah, we didn't get our Source2/OrangeBox/HL3 announcement that everyone was dying for. But this comes at a interesting time for Valve. First TF2 goes free to play and shows that micro-transactions and user-made assets are not only a viable way to support a game, it was actually profitable for Valve and the amateur designers submitting the content. Fast forward and they have done the same thing with Dota2, which has more players, by far than any other Valve title. They had a big, open beta that generated a lot of hype, followed by a big release and the big International tournament that had a prize pool over $2 million and millions of concurrent viewers watching the live stream. The crazy thing is almost everyone can get the game for free or nearly free. Again, Valve is making their money off this with micro-transactions in the online store.

The point is, they have an innovative and unconventional approach to their business, and it seems to be paying dividends. They are still pretty small, still not a public company, so they don't have the same constraints that other companies have because of shareholders and huge payrolls.

Now Valve is invading the living room. They are throwing their hat in the ring with Sony and Microsoft. And they're not just trying to break into the console market, they are trying to change the way people see gaming, consoles, PCs and the relationship between them all. And every step of the way, all the software and hardware is going to be open source. This is Valve making their move. You can bet your ass there will be big titles for the Steambox release.
Now imagine a music, dear readers, heavy with cellos at a rapid staccato. Cellos held between thighs in a dark room. The little room of Harry's chest as he walks with his teammates to the opening gate of his first Test of Cribbage. They are a rag-tag group of champions, this bunch, and with Harry, the near-perfect new god, they know they will dominate the day. Harry is a world laced with rivers of wizardly blood. He is ready.

Last edited by Saranus; 09-27-2013 at 02:45 PM..
Old 09-27-2013, 02:35 PM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saranus View Post
You just wait. I see big things in the future of Valve. Yeah, we didn't get our Source2/OrangeBox/HL3 announcement that everyone was dying for. But this comes at a interesting time for Valve. First TF3 goes free to play and shows that micro-transactions and user-made assets are not only a viable way to support a game, it was actually profitable for Valve and the amateur designers submitting the content. Fast forward and they have done the same thing with Dota2, which has more players, by far than any other Valve title. They had a big, open beta that generated a lot of hype, followed by a big release and the big International tournament that had a prize pool over $2 million and millions of concurrent viewers watching the live stream. The crazy thing is almost everyone can get the game for free or nearly free. Again, Valve is making their money off this with micro-transactions in the online store.

The point is, they have an innovative and unconventional approach to their business, and it seems to be paying dividends. They are still pretty small, still not a public company, so they don't have the same constraints that other companies have because of shareholders and huge payrolls.

Now Valve is invading the living room. They are throwing their hat in the ring with Sony and Microsoft. And they're not just trying to break into the console market, they are trying to change the way people see consoles and PCs. And every step of the way, all the software and hardware is going to be open source. This is Valve making their move. You can bet your ass there will be big titles for the Steambox release.
I heartily agree with your analysis. This is looking damn interesting.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 09-27-2013, 04:26 PM

Worth the weight.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:14 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Worth the weight.
And that's another month before we get HL3
Old 09-27-2013, 05:24 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

It's still pretty sad that Killer Instinct has finally made a come back but it gets shit on so much and has all the Microsoft drama dumped on it as well. I think as a game that's making such a comeback it doesn't deserve such shit, but I guess I'll have to see how well it does in game reviews.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroombie View Post
And that's another month before we get HL3
I actually have never played any of the HL games and don't like FPSes in general. So no skin off my nose.

Now, if insulting Valve delayed a game I'm looking forward to, like Project Eternity, then I'd stop.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:33 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Faine#1139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
It's still pretty sad that Killer Instinct has finally made a come back but it gets shit on so much and has all the Microsoft drama dumped on it as well. I think as a game that's making such a comeback it doesn't deserve such shit, but I guess I'll have to see how well it does in game reviews.
I'm waiting for the reviews too but I even take those with a grain of salt. The way fighting games are nowadays (and you can probably extend this to gaming in general), if it's not like "x" game, it's shit. If the reviews are universally bad, then I typically avoid it. But if its mixed here and there and I already had an interest in it, I'll most likely try it.

All that said, I've been waiting a long time for this game and it's going be hard for me to pass up.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:24 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

I agree, though even if it does suck I might still play it. I just won't play it until the X-box one gets cheaper than 500$ since I'm a cheap bastard. So that might be a long ways off from its release, but I'm predicting they'll keep the game alive through new fighters in the roster like Nether Realm did with Injustice.

Tags
damn cubes, general thread, literally video games, video games, wololo