Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 06-12-2011, 01:11 AM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
Yeah... I guess since I said I liked the new one, I've now decided the old one was better (I still really like the icy effects!). I do like the old one, but they should have just given it to some other lich

Maybe it's meant to sound different because he's double undead or something? *shrugs*
A convert! Huzzah!

They apparently change the actor to avoid confusion between the Lich King and Kel Thuzad, which is too bad because McConnohie didn't sound much like KT when he voiced the Lich King.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldrius View Post
And I really like Alexstrasza's voice. Sounds very maternal and ancient.
I was thinking of her WotLK voice. I just listened to some of her Cataclysm lines and I actually like it. I don't know if its a different actor or just better direction

Quote:
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 06-12-2011, 01:14 AM
BattleTag: CptCarrot #1688

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon View Post
A convert! Huzzah!
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 06-12-2011, 01:17 AM

Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Quote:
A remarkable discovery. Shame the phenomenon is so rare.

Quote:
Old 06-12-2011, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon View Post
A remarkable discovery. Shame the phenomenon is so rare.
Heh, well I try to keep an open mind when I'm discussing things with people. I hope they do too! It just makes the conversation/argument/debate/whatever so much more interesting and fulfilling. I hate pointless arguing, which is surprising considering how often I end up partaking in it on forums
Old 06-12-2011, 03:36 AM

Elune

Quote:
I think it's pretty obvious blizzard has learned a lot since BC in story telling.
Not the world's hardest thing to do.

I actually don't mind Sylvanas' new voice, I just wish they'd kept the old one. Garrosh is derptastic, but so's his personality.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:28 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
I actually don't mind Sylvanas' new voice, I just wish they'd kept the old one. Garrosh is derptastic, but so's his personality.
Pretty much. I think Patrick Seitz does an awesome job as Garrosh all things considered.

It's just that Garrosh is... Garrosh.

His voice was too low for Arthas, though. He made him sound really odd and burly.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:47 AM

Elune

Yogg-Saron had the best voice acting in the game.
"Noble countrymen, evil is upon us. Darkness has befallen our shores. Rise and slay thy enemies´┐Ż strike, strike so others shall live. The meek shall not fade into the night´┐Ż live my brethren, live." - King Terenas Menethil II
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbraid View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
You are right Fojar.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:05 PM

Garrosh's voice isn't the best, but it fits him nonetheless.

Quote:
Old 06-12-2011, 02:46 PM

Eternal

The voice acting is pretty good, the dialogue gets silly most of the time with dragons, elementals, or demons having to say "mortal" in every sentence.

I hate hearing Cam Clarke now. The same voice for several different characters in the same world (BE male, Malygos, Medivh, Nexus-Prince Shaffar), what the hell? This isn't a Seth McFarlane universe! At least Metzen's characters don't sound exactly the same, at least to me they don't. I was oblivious to the similarities until I learned of the characters he voiced. I would think it is like that for most people who are not terribly observant.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:00 PM

Site Staff - Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJP View Post
The voice acting is pretty good, the dialogue gets silly most of the time with dragons, elementals, or demons having to say "mortal" in every sentence.

I hate hearing Cam Clarke now. The same voice for several different characters in the same world (BE male, Malygos, Medivh, Nexus-Prince Shaffar), what the hell? This isn't a Seth McFarlane universe! At least Metzen's characters don't sound exactly the same, at least to me they don't. I was oblivious to the similarities until I learned of the characters he voiced. I would think it is like that for most people who are not terribly observant.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:12 PM

Glaive Thrower

Hey, at least Metzen makes a little effort to make his characters sound slightly different. Maybe. Well, all the ones that aren't of the Thrall style of voice.

So only Varian.

Well shit, at least he's not a professional voice actor. He indeed does seem have more range than Cam Clarke, at least what Cam has displayed in Metal Gear and Warcraft. Binary vs. unary, with an equal portion of cheese.

It really fucking bugged me, Clarke being Malygos. His voice is totally out of character for Maly, and Cam's lack of range makes me expect him to yell out SNAAAAAAAAAAAAKE when he dies.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:27 PM

I loved Malygos' voice

Edit: well in fairness, I mostly loved his dialogue ^,^

Last edited by Porimlys; 06-13-2011 at 12:18 AM..
Old 06-13-2011, 12:16 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

I liked Malygos' voice back when it was Die Fleidermaus on Tick.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:18 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
I liked Malygos' voice back when it was Die Fleidermaus on Tick.

:p
Old 06-13-2011, 03:29 AM

Eternal

I know that voice actors will do the same voice in different shows, like you'll hear the same voice in every anime, or Patrick Warburton and H. Jon Benjamin showing up in every american toon.. but god damn, not the same voice for multiple characters in the same universe.

I think that Metzen's voice roles are more diverse sounding than most people say. If you're really paying close attention to a voice then I think you would pick up on it, but I would wager that he's done roles that nobody thought was him.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:12 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

I always pick out Metzen pretty much. He doesn't have a huge degree of range. I generally like his voice for like... extras, though. Never really been wowed by him in a major role. He was kind of cool in WC3 as Thrall, but I can't think of much else. And I so would have vastly preferred Clancy Brown as Thrall.

Quote:
Well shit, at least he's not a professional voice actor. He indeed does seem have more range than Cam Clarke, at least what Cam has displayed in Metal Gear and Warcraft. Binary vs. unary, with an equal portion of cheese.
Yes, but Cam Clarke is fucking awesome. He also only plays minor characters and raid bosses, so I don't really see the issue.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:30 AM

Elune

wtb more Liam O'Brien
Old 06-13-2011, 11:27 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldrius View Post
I always pick out Metzen pretty much. He doesn't have a huge degree of range. I generally like his voice for like... extras, though. Never really been wowed by him in a major role. He was kind of cool in WC3 as Thrall, but I can't think of much else. And I so would have vastly preferred Clancy Brown as Thrall.

Yes, but Cam Clarke is fucking awesome. He also only plays minor characters and raid bosses, so I don't really see the issue.
Yea Metzen isn't like Seth Macfarlane who literally voices half the main characters in Family Guy yet you never really notice. For example Peter and Stewie sound nothing alike although they are both him while Brian is the only character using his true voice. While in WoW I can easily tell Metzen is voicing Thrall, Vol'jin and Varian (making the convo in the troll starting zone hilarious since it's like he's talking to himself). Blizzard just needs to spend some money on actual professionals.

Last edited by Leviathon; 06-13-2011 at 11:30 AM..
Old 06-13-2011, 12:00 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Bill Roper, before he left, voiced everybody, and it was awesome.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:56 PM

On the subject of voice acting:

Cho'gall

Now HE is a guy I love to listen to

Last edited by Porimlys; 06-13-2011 at 01:11 PM..
Old 06-13-2011, 01:53 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
On the subject of voice acting:

Cho'gall

Now HE is a guy I love to listen to
I think it's clever how they made him speak, but I wasn't really wowed by the actor.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:37 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
Yea Metzen isn't like Seth Macfarlane who literally voices half the main characters in Family Guy yet you never really notice. For example Peter and Stewie sound nothing alike although they are both him while Brian is the only character using his true voice. While in WoW I can easily tell Metzen is voicing Thrall, Vol'jin and Varian (making the convo in the troll starting zone hilarious since it's like he's talking to himself). Blizzard just needs to spend some money on actual professionals.
AFAIK Metzen stopped voicing Varian in WotLK. They had John St. John (Duke Nukem's voice actor) record his lines for Cata... but the only time I can remember Varian actually saying anything was the scrapped Twilight Highlands intro.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:52 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
AFAIK Metzen stopped voicing Varian in WotLK. They had John St. John (Duke Nukem's voice actor) record his lines for Cata... but the only time I can remember Varian actually saying anything was the scrapped Twilight Highlands intro.
Don't forget the scrapped Benedictus reveal.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:55 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

The scrapped Benedictus thing was definitely Metzen.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:59 PM

Site Staff - Admin

I listened to the audio files of that Alliance intro on Youtube and it's pretty good. It has two anti-Horde admirals going against King Varian's specific orders and then getting half the fleet killed. It cast the humans in a bit darker light than what we've seen.

Flintlocke's definitely funny, but I'd have preferred something else from the intro.