Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft RTS Discussion

Old 09-08-2017, 02:43 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almed View Post
1. "Mad" Elven Rangers?

2. You mean the Forsaken? How would the Alliance accept them?
1. You know, like Alleria, mad for vengeance, and all that.

2. No, I don't mean the Forsaken, they wouldn't exist in such a scenario. You'd need to write The Frozen Throne a bit differently, that's hardly an issue.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:43 PM

Banished

I guess the bits with Crusaders and Rangers were in one of those German previews?

And what do you mean by Not the Forsaken? Wouldn't they have its premise (that is, Undead who revolted against the Lich King)?
Old 09-09-2017, 01:36 AM

Eternal

Quote:
I guess the bits with Crusaders and Rangers were in one of those German previews?

And what do you mean by Not the Forsaken? Wouldn't they have its premise (that is, Undead who revolted against the Lich King)?
Yeah, the Crusaders were described somewhat as fanatical holy warriors in the GameStar preview.

Anyway, by the Forsaken, I specifically mean Sylvanas, her regime, and all their actions (Sylvanas invented the name, anyway). By no Forsaken, I mean a faction of free-willed undead not lead by Sylvanas, with a clearly different path than the Forsaken had taken.
Old 09-09-2017, 04:14 AM

Banished

So how would the Alliance accept these Not Forsaken?
Old 09-09-2017, 06:27 AM

Echo of the Past

Undead Icon (War3)

Quote:
So how would the Alliance accept these Not Forsaken?
I'd presume they'd be "humans with a skin condition". At least you wouldn't have the problem of Alliance humans dying, reanimating, and immediately fighting against their allies from a few seconds ago (and taking orders from their enemy from a few seconds ago) despite supposedly being free-willed.
Old 09-09-2017, 06:40 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I'd presume they'd be "humans with a skin condition". At least you wouldn't have the problem of Alliance humans dying, reanimating, and immediately fighting against their allies from a few seconds ago (and taking orders from their enemy from a few seconds ago) despite supposedly being free-willed.
I think that "humans with a skin condition" (oh, Fojar), is taking it too far, but yeah, the basis would be some version of perverted Lordaeron that is actually Lordaeron. As in, these undead, while certainly traumatized and their spirits scarred, would not immediately forget their old allegiances, families, culture, etc.

And how? Frankly, there's a myriad of ways how to write that, ranging from what you suggested, Arthas becoming the king and transforming Lordaeron into this dark-light undead/human realm, to simple rewrites of The Frozen Throne's undead campaign.

-----

But we are getting quite off-topic here.
Old 09-09-2017, 08:06 AM

Banished

Maybe I'll make a thread about it.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:24 AM

Huntress

Not sure if this is news to you, but I once made a pretty comprehensive list of Warcraft 3 prerelease videos:
http://blizzardarchive.com/pub/index.php?id=rocvideos
And a gallery of screenshots, sorted as accurately as I could back in the days:
http://blizzardarchive.com/zabak~/Screenshots/wc3
Old 09-28-2017, 02:24 AM

Druid of the Talon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
Many might remember how the Dread Lords were originally planned to be enslaved by Ner'zhul. But there's another interesting bit; how even at their very conception, Blizzard wanted them to sow chaos among the humans disguised as one of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
I'm glad they didn't keep that bit with the Dreadlords being enslaved, would make the Legion seem pretty weak.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
Can't say I agree there. Context is important. This lore comes from the time when the Legion was supposed to be another playable faction, a grave threat, yet one ultimately still possible to contend with conventionally, something I would have personally preferred. Moreover, something like this would have evened the odds even further, and more importantly, made for a potentially interesting story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Eh, I dunno, I like the legion as a big world-stomping army.

If you can travel worlds and such being able to be beaten by conventional means is kinda weak, especially if Kil'jaeden makes Ner'zhul his pawn, then turns him into Lich King after the Horde fails him, and then the dreadlords fail? All very "eh" to me.

Though I suppose this boils down more to personal taste.
Mal'ganis is actually a relic of old scrapped lore. During his converstions with Arthas he addresses Ner'zhul as "Dark Lord" and is eventually betrayed by Lich King as he commands Arthas to kill Mal'ganis.
It looked like Mal'ganis served the Lich King to me, and he didn't expected Ner'zhul's plan.

Also there wasn't any Legion's reaction to Mal'ganis death at all.

Ps. what are those units?

Last edited by OnyxWatcher; 09-28-2017 at 04:23 AM..
Old 10-25-2017, 06:11 PM

Priestess of the Moon

Those are footmen. They're really basic and deformed, but you see they have helmets and Lordaeron shields.
Old 10-29-2017, 09:05 AM

Druid of the Talon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
Those are footmen. They're really basic and deformed, but you see they have helmets and Lordaeron shields.
Ok, thank you dude. It look that Footman was not one of the first units during WC3 development.

Next image:

What is this unit? I always wonder. Look kinda creepy btw.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:34 AM

Priestess of the Moon

It's the original Archdruid Hero, I believe. This was a Hero back when there were planned to be 6 per faction. This is basically what Malfurion Stormrage's model became, and he's casting a spell with both arms raising his staff in the air.

-Edit-

Just saw the red arrow. That unit is the Sentinel. It was the footman equivalent before the Huntress. They had an owl scout that flies with them, and used a glaive-type weapon. The model was reused for the Warden's ultimate, for the Sentinel summons. I think they're also used in the campaign in certain places.

Last edited by Triceron; 10-30-2017 at 09:40 AM..
Old 10-30-2017, 10:11 AM

Elune

I'm pretty sure he knows what the Sentinel is, given his avatar is...well, a Sentinel. He's asking because it looks different to the sentinel models (but it's probably the angle)
Old 10-30-2017, 11:37 AM

Priestess of the Moon

It's just a sentinel turning to its right (looking screen left). You can still clearly see her weapon. Kinda sucks that the screenshots are static and everything is so low poly, it makes it hard to make out anything.

I remember seeing original screenshots of the Treants (Ancient Protectors) and not being able to make heads or tails of what they were, only to realize the one in the SS was facing to the side with an arm in clear shot and a hint of a nose to indicate that it was sideways.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:05 AM

Druid of the Talon

I think it's not a Sentinel.
Sentinel's stance is left leg directed forward and the right one backward. The wierd unit's is contrary. Also it's dressed totally different.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:11 AM

It's an archer in a weird angle and likely during an idle animation. It got the leaves in the hair, no teamcolored shoulderpad on the right, but teamcolored bracers. She is holding the bow at an angle at which it vanishes for our eyes.

I am handclaw and this is my favorite thread on Scrolls of Lore!... oh wait, nope... Just another bitching thread.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:56 AM

Druid of the Talon

Quote:
Originally Posted by handclaw View Post
It's an archer in a weird angle and likely during an idle animation. It got the leaves in the hair, no teamcolored shoulderpad on the right, but teamcolored bracers. She is holding the bow at an angle at which it vanishes for our eyes.
It's impossible we couldn't see the bow, even in this angle.
Also I've seen this wierd slender unit in other screens where it stood near Archers and it was clearly different unit.
Old 10-31-2017, 08:09 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnyxWatcher View Post
Also I've seen this wierd slender unit in other screens where it stood near Archers and it was clearly different unit.
if it behaved like irl it might, but remember this is an alpha game, models might clip weird when they move and such.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 10-31-2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnyxWatcher View Post
My point is: we SEE it, we just dont realize it. Not sure if I phrase it properly, but it is at a 90° angle to the camera if we look at the bow from above. The bow is that weird line extended from the arm.

I am handclaw and this is my favorite thread on Scrolls of Lore!... oh wait, nope... Just another bitching thread.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:14 AM

Priestess of the Moon

Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon

I love all things Wc3 Alpha/Beta. Great stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
Triumvirate; you weird.
Welcome to the club. Have a drink on the house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
I like this guy.
Check me out at Wc3C; I'm a lot more active. (Well, mentally at least. THW is another good place)

Also check out my two projects:
- ~Custom Race Project~
- ~Neutral Hero Additions~

Tags
warcraft, warcraft 3