Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Fan Works

Old 07-19-2017, 07:59 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethenil View Post
Mutters, the sea dragons did come to the merfolk, but only after they had already been transformed. Those who accepted to serve them would go on to become the Naga.
It seems odd someone or something would transform the humans to merfolk and then just let the sea dragons swoop in afterwards.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 07-19-2017, 08:26 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Perhaps not involved in the war itself but they took note of the war and moved in to pursue their interests in the aftermath
I'd really prefer to keep actual gods out of my Fall of Rome analog. If dragons want to capitalize on the fallout, that's fine, but this is meant to be a conflict of mortal nations.

Quote:
(@Anansi, this likely coincides with Verz if he and the others make it off Istos)
Damn you for reminding me about the Chronicle. It's still my go, isn't it?

Quote:
Mutters, the sea dragons did come to the merfolk, but only after they had already been transformed.
Why must you make this so difficult?

Quote:
It seems odd someone or something would transform the humans to merfolk and then just let the sea dragons swoop in afterwards.
This.

What do you even propose made them turn into merfolk, Ethy, if not their own hubris or sea dragons?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:34 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
I'd really prefer to keep actual gods out of my Fall of Rome analog. If dragons want to capitalize on the fallout, that's fine, but this is meant to be a conflict of mortal nations.

Damn you for reminding me about the Chronicle. It's still my go, isn't it?
1. Fair, dragons are looking like the best bet then.

2. It is, but no worries I know you've got stuff goin' on.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 07-20-2017, 01:36 AM

Arch-Druid

I... Really don't know. It had to be something vastly powerful...
Old 07-20-2017, 07:03 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
You underestimate [humanity's] power.

But if you want something less natural, I think magic dragons are probably your best bet.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-20-2017, 07:21 AM

World Builder

Quote:
I'm really thinking the sea dragons are your best bet here, rather than having something transform the humans for some reason, and then not interact with them afterwards.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 07-23-2017, 08:21 PM

Arch-Druid

Disclaimer: the names of Nidhogg and Jormungand are only placeholders, used to show what they were inspired by.

Long ago, during the times that the gods made war with each other over Solthris, a slithering beast of unfathomable size and strength was created to hunt and destroy dragons. This snake's movement heaved the earth and its maws devoured all in its path. And above all, it destroyed dragons, favored of its god's enemies. This dragonkiller was known as Jormungand.

While such a beast seems unfathomable to us today, it was but one of many weapons created during the wars of the gods. And to combat him, one of these gods blessed a brood of dragons with the knowledge of elements and magic, marking them with great antlers as his sign. These dragons crafted runes from the leylines of the earth and locked the beast in a sealed dimension. So vast was his form, that even coiled around itself, Jormungand was said to be infinite.

However, the struggle to seal the snake required great warfare and trickery, so that in the end, only one dragon from the whole brood remained. His name was Nidhogg, and he swore to keep the great beast locked forever.

Forever came quickly, as some time after the Godpact, the events of the Dragonfall ensued, forcing the great dragons of old to find some refuge or risk falling into feralness. Nidhogg thus opened the way into the plane where his god and master dwelt, and there remained until the dreaded effects of the Fall passed. Though he could have returned, the dragon was content in his plane, where he could forget the woes of ages past. Nonetheless, eventually knowing no mortal would ever be able to open the seals, he kept a close eye on the worlds below...

-----

Ages passed, and a great empire of humans, elves and dwarves arose, known as Xaxalin. It came to be that civil war overtook the realm, and great magic was unleashed by all sides. A man known as the Traitor King retreated to his home, one of the greatest cities of the Empire and the center of human power. Here the lord put his mages to tap into any and all sources of power they could find, and some came to their king, telling of an immense power below the city itself. You see, this great city had been built upon the runes that kept Jormungand inprisoned. And over centuries and millenia of study, these mages thought they could control this great source of power.

They were, of course, mistaken. During the last days of the civil war, the Traitor King ordered his mages to summon forth this power so that his enemies would be undone. The results were disastrous. Although they were unable to fully unleash Jormungand, the weakening of the seal caused the movements and wrath of the great beast to ripple with great upheaval throughout the land, breaking it apart. As the seas came in to swallow the realm, it's mages and all its people, a dragon in another plane struck in haste towards our world.

Arriving to find a cataclysm unfolding upon the land around his seal, Nidhogg rapidly conjured protection to keep Jormungand from escaping. He knew, however, that those would not be enough. Without the great power he had before the Dragonfall, he could not make such a grand seal as had been. Instead, he looked upon the helpless humans who were drowning, and with the power granted to him by the gods, he transformed them into beings of the sea, for they would be Jormungand's jailors until such a time came that either a way to kill the beast was found, or his old power returned to him.

These transformed people became known as the Merfolk, or Naquassi in their own tongue, and they had many forms. They would go on to form various kingdoms beneath the waves, but ever would they remain beholden to their sacred duty. Over the centuries, they would ever strengthen the lock upon the seal.

Nidhogg was their God. He knew that having minions only beneath the sea would not be enough, for the seals and flow of leylines required maintenance and care on a number of locations far away from the central lock, some of which had not sunk. Furthermore, Nidhogg had seen the destruction both mortal ambition and outside forces could bring, and he wished to be more involved in the world, lest the mortals be destroyed.

Thus he called to him both sea dragons and fire dragons, united in their purpose of keeping Jormungand the Dragonkiller in his prison. Nidhogg made his lair upon an island-peak surrounded by coral-ring. There, both kinds of dragons would proceed with their duties. Upon the other points of the leylines rune, draconic nests were settled.

The merfolk that proved themselves devout and mighty, independent of nation would be called by the dragons to be transformed into a serpentine form that better resembled dragons: the Quallasi, better known as the Naga. These would be the mighty personal army of Nidhogg, who would protect the nests and seals, and who in time might ascend to become nagas for fire and land, and ultimately, dragons themselves.

-----

As the centuries passed, tribes joined and disbanded, nations were formed and Kingdoms grew. Eventually, there came a time, around five hundred years ago, when a great kingdom (of humans, probably) on the land went to war with the merfolk in their quest to free Jormungand (I'll come up with a reason). This kingdom had exceptional anti-dragon techniques, and so the merfolk were on their own.

Still, they managed to easily destroy all the human coastal settlements, but then came at an impasse when the humans gathered at their in-land capital and began weaving powerful magics. This th merfolk Kingdoms united and called upon Nidhogg to empower them. With awesome magic, they launched an immense tidal wave upon the human capital, destroying it utterly and breaking the human kingdom's power forever.

This broken land would serve as a reminder to all land-dwellers that such audacity as to go against the merfolk's prime directive would result only in death.

United as never before, the merfolk created their first empire, in which almost all the main kind of their race were a part.

-----

Around fifty years ago, Nidhogg disappeared...

Last edited by Ethenil; 07-23-2017 at 08:26 PM..
Old Yesterday, 08:51 AM

World Builder

Glad we seem to have all that settled.

Other matters of business

-Anansi, Erthad, Aneurysm, any thoughts on names for the continent the nymphs and Arcturan dwarves? Arctalin? Njorthos? Frelherth?

-Gromak, an envoy from the Arges Cyclops approach the Rak'shari in Althesar, along with some local centaur and humans and such, about pushing further north and rooting out the inland Lokusi hives. How do the Rak'shari respond in light of some of the oddities found on the Lokusi? (metal bits like weapons broke off in them, lightning scarring, etc...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post
I'm sorry, I sort of completely missed/overlooked the part about expanding the continent somewhat south- and eastwards and moving the archipelago. I opened up the map and started working on those changes last night before bed. But then Photoshop crashed, and I'm not sure how much of what I got done was saved, I couldn't be arsed to check. I'll probably get back on it when I get home from work today.

Also @Mutters concerning northern Gruthar, does it really need to be more snowy? Pushing the snowline further south made it look somewhat weird in comparison to the other landmasses in the north when I tried. And besides, vikings didn't really live in glacial snowy places, but near the coasts of the slightly more temperate southern Scandinavia, so I'm not sure it'd be thematically fitting to have it be a winter wonderland (depending on how much inspiration you draw from historical vikings, of course).
No problem I missed your response and just saw it now so we're good!

Not super snowy but like a sprinkle more to provide some places to stick the Jotun would be good. I imagine the place more Howling Fjord than Stormpeaks for the most part (Except for the Stormveil, which due to magic BS should be pretty snowy and cold)

Suggested topic for the week Make some named characters! They can be the current leaders of your nations, or they can be historical figures, or they can be average joes, whoever! Think about their lives and the things they currently face and such!

Also, try and get a Wiki page for your nations/species started, even if you don't get it finished all at once.
http://solthris.wikia.com/wiki/Solthris_Wiki

My Worldbuilding:
Old Yesterday, 11:05 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
-stuff-
Thoughts as I go:

I figure that, at least as far as we've previously discussed its nature, Not-Jormungandr is probably more of a world-eater than a simple dragonslayer. Maybe the god(s) or power(s) that created it was/were not interested so much in killing all dragons as they were interested in some more primary goal in the way of which those dragons stood. I know that sentence was sort of a maze, but what I'm saying is that maybe Not-Jormungandr was created as a response to previously unassailable draconic resistance - an overwhelming force intended to further its creator(s) goals in a way not even those dragons could (easily) oppose. It could kill dragons, sure, but its real purpose was something else.

"This dragonkiller was known as Jormungand" - I know you're talking in placeholders, but I still think it adds unnecessary confusion to say that it was known as the name we're not actually going to give it.

Okay, so Not-Nidhogg was part of a brood some other god(s) magicked into superweapons as a response to the superweapon that was Not-Jormungandr. They were enchanted so they could operate directly on the leylines that criss-crossed Solthris, which are nicely analogous to the roots of Yggdrassil upon which Actuality's Nidhogg was said to gnaw. Sounds cool.

So they sealed Not-Jormungandr, yeah, but I think it makes more sense if they sealed him in the pseudo-space from which the other god(s) or power(s) drew his probability-index in the first place. So the Not-Nidhoggs didn't create the bottle, they just pushed him back inside.

I think we may want a bit more explanation as to how the battle claimed the lives of all but one of the Not-Nidhoggs. What were they doing that would have required direct combat? How many were originally in the brood anyway? Oh, and how about if they were all named the same thing, because they worked so closely in sync with each other that they might as well have been one being?

So this is probably Sky's job, but Not-Nidhogg's fate vis a vis the Dragonfall needs to be nailed down somehow. You make it sound like some kind of plague or something? That Not-Nidhogg escaped by waiting out in another world? I think this needs clarification.

It sounds like you're giving Not-Nidhogg a fatal flaw in his willingness to turn his back on his responsibilities and just spend eternity chilling in his bosses' pad. That's cool, but don't forget to play it up.

He was known as the Traitor Emperor, but whatever. I should probably name him at some point.

The land to which he retreated was actually - you know what, this is going to get complicated. An interlude, if you please:

---

In the north, there were once a number of petty kingdoms owing allegiance only to themselves. This was long, long before the great Empire of Xaxalin was even imagined.

Now one of these petty kingdoms happened to be built over a curiously potent intersection of ley-lines (as it happens, it was one of the runes crafted by your brood of Not-Nidhoggs). Over the densest concentration of magical power (where, indeed, the very core of your beasty's rune was inscribed), the royal palace was built. It was a towering extravagance of glass and marble, its curiously twisting halls and chambers constructed to channel and control the latent magic of the area. Unknown to the architects, these runes did something something to the magic of the area and the rune beneath.

This tower of sorcery blessed its inhabitants with extraordinary arcane abilities, and every generation raised within its halls seemed to increase in the potency of its magic. As long as the king or queen ruled with wisdom and justice the lands would bloom and even, at times, seem to rise up in protection of the people.

There was a caveat, however - cruel or unjust rulers would cause the lands to wither, and their bloodline's magic would be diminished for generations. Fortunately, although these 'evil' kings and queens often displayed unparalleled sorcerous power (perhaps it was into them that the power of the land and their descendants somehow poured), they never seemed to last long.

It was from this kingdom that the bloodline of the Traitor Emperor sprung. Still long before the origin of Xaxalin, his ancestors unified the northern realms under their banner. Eventually (and I don't think we need to define the exact time line just yet) this human empire would be incorporated into the grand, tri-species Empire of Xaxalin. Its emperors and empresses, more often wise than not, were placed among the highest of dwarves and elves.

For a time, mothers would be brought back to the palace of their ancestry to give birth, but this tradition gradually ceased and the Imperial City became the new seat of their power. A line of stewards cared for the lands back home, inheriting the dynastic boons of their liege lords. So, although the magic of the emperors and empresses of mankind did not necessarily diminish in their descendants, neither did it grow as it once had. By contrast, the stewards of the north grew into their own as powerful wizard kings in their own right.

The rest is history you already know, I think. The Traitor Emperor [placeholder] broke with the other two Xaxalin Triunes [placeholder] and [placeholder], and eventually was forced to retreat. He withdrew, in the end, to the seat of his ancestral power.

And now we return to thoughts as we go:

---

Perhaps the Traitor Emperor was so far removed from his roots that he wouldn't have known about the latent magic of his home, but I doubt it. I don't think he'd need his magi to tell him about the source of his homeland's power. I think he was probably knowledgeable enough in his own right to organize its utilization by himself. He was probably even willing to convince himself it was for the good of the land and its people if he drew all its power into himself, sacrificing its short-term welfare for a lasting peace.

I don't think he actually tried to release Not-Jormungandr. I don't think he really knew that the land's magic was sealing in a monster. I think he just thought it was necessary to drain it all at once in order to protect his home from the vile xeno invaders. This is what broke or damaged the seals enough for Jormungandr to start knocking.

Alright, Not-Nidhogg comes back, reties some of the ley-lines, fails to reinstate the full force of his old power, transforms the northland into merland, humies lend their strength to repairing the seal, yada yada... All sounds good here...

So does Not-Nidhogg want to be more active because he doesn't want the mortals to be destroyed or because he doesn't want Not-Jormungandr to be released? Why would he care about mortals? Is he just a nice guy?

Hold on, so now you're pulling in other dragons. What kinds of other dragons? And how's this work with Skytotem's secret plans?

And we've got naga being transformed from the already transformed merfolk. Did Not-Nidhogg do that, or some of his dragon stooges? And what, are they actually being turned into dragons, or is that just some line they were fed to get them on-board?

I think the reason someone might want to free Not-Jormungandr will be easier to figure out than the reason anyone knows Not-Jormungandr is even down there.

Which nation was it that the merfolk destroyed? Because I still want there to be that contested area around the north spur of the volcano between humans, elves, and dwarves.

So it's been 500 years since the merfolk united in face of a common threat to their god's will. Has that unity deteriorated since then?

And Not-Nidhogg's gone. That's good. Big stupid lizard. But what about those other dragons you wanted him to scatter around other pressure points on the seal? And when you say he vanished, it would seem to imply that he was an active presence up to 50 years ago. Clarify?

Quote:
Njorthos?
Pfft.

No, but seriously, I love that name. A tad, I don't know, blunt? But it works. I think it would work better for Ethy's Norse-themed stuff, though.

Frelherth sounds good to me, for the little continent where Annie, Erthad, and I are putting stuff.

Quote:
Suggested topic for the week Make some named characters! They can be the current leaders of your nations, or they can be historical figures, or they can be average joes, whoever! Think about their lives and the things they currently face and such!
Oh hey, I was just thinking about naming the Traitor Emperor. We should also probably name the kingdom from which his bloodline stemmed...

I'm thinking my 'main' Xysticid character going forward is going to be good old Stith. Several supporting characters have already been introduced in the Chronicles.

I'll also consider fleshing out some of the Arcturan tribes to include a few names and faces.
Quote:
Quote:
Old Yesterday, 12:12 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
- Many stuffs -
Alright, thoughts as we go:

I was imagining that at some point god(a) would have recruited dragonkind to his service, and then as a counter, Jormungand would have been created by god(b). But it's a good idea if there's something that god(b) wanted, but was heavily defended by god(a)'s dragons, and so Jormungand comes in. To know exactly what it was, we'd need Mutter's input for the motivations of th gods in this period.

It's important to note that, as far as I can tell, all dragons were much more powerful back in the day, although this brood was empowered even further to either defend against god(b) or counter Jormungand itself.

I prefer if Nidhogg is just the (not) name of one individual, the one that survived. As for why they all died, it's because I imagine that Jormungand was basically loose upon the world, so to actually bind the leylines/magics/stuffs onto him and create the seals and everything, there would have been a mighty struggle as Jormungand would attempt to, you know, not be locked up.

I also don't know how the Dragonfall played out, so I can't say. So I'd think Nidhogg escaped to the other Plane to avoid falling into more feralness (I imagine the few dragons that avoided it managed however they could, with a variety of ways), and then stayed there when he saw just how weak Solthris had become, in his view. More on this in a moment.

Alright, so now I know more about this Traitor King. Say, is he... "evil"? Anyway, what I had thought about these people and Jormungand is that through the generations, they'd have learned that there was a special something held back. They wouldn't know it was the great beast itself, but they'd have learned a great force was waiting to be unleashed.

So after Nidhogg escaped the Dragonfall or whatever, he would have thought the seals where unbreakable and have become content in staying there. But when the mages did the thing, he realized that there was great power these mortals could wield. He had seen the destruction of the Godswar and the Dragonfall, and he didn't want to see everything risk bring destroyed. He had also observed, across the ages, that there were great forces from beyond (all those immortal beings) that threatened to eventually destroy Solthris. What if they threatened the gods themselves? So after redoing the seals and transforming the merfolk, he decided to stay.

What are Skytotem's secret plans? I just imagined that Nidhogg recruited sea dragons and land dragons to his cause of keeping the Dragonkiller bound. Nidhogg, being one of the most powerful dragons still around, would earn their respect. Do you have any idea what could be a further motive for them to all gather? For Nidhogg to create this army?

So the process of merfolk becoming Naga and then dragons is real, handed out by Nidhogg himself or some dragons below him. I'm not sure about them actually becoming full dragons though. Anyway, the idea is that these would be highly-elite and qualified individuals.

As for these people that wanted to free Jormungand, there are two possibilities. Either they knew what it was and wanted to specifically release it, or they just knew there was some great power and wanted to gather it for themselves.

Since you're the one placing most stuffs in Xaxalin, you can decide what kind of nation this was and give it a story. It only has to have a coast along the merfolk lands, and today have its coastal cities and in-land capital in ruins. If you want to, the land itself can have been slowly repopulated or whatever.

There is today a main-kind of merfolk empire along what was is the sunken land, but also one or two separate states. Although the island-merfolk are close to the main kind, the tentacle merfolk live in other places, up north, and the deep-merfolk, well, very deep, in waters that have always been ocean. And then there's the Naga place, where Nidhogg's roost is (mountain-island surrounded by a ring of corals).

The dragons are still around, even if Nidhogg's gone. Maybe there is some power struggle between them? I don't think so. Anyway, Nidhogg himself was active in that he oversaw the Naga and dragon lands. He didn't interfere at all in merfolk politics though.

Njorthos is a good name. What is it? Could be Nidhogg's name.
Old Yesterday, 07:28 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
I was imagining that at some point god(a) would have recruited dragonkind to his service, and then as a counter, Jormungand would have been created by god(b). But it's a good idea if there's something that god(b) wanted, but was heavily defended by god(a)'s dragons, and so Jormungand comes in. To know exactly what it was, we'd need Mutter's input for the motivations of th gods in this period.
I don't know if dragons should have been on the market to be 'recruited.' I get the impression they were fighting their own battles, for their own reasons.

I'm also not feeling the idea that Not-Jormungandr was just 'the dragonkiller.' I mean, he's bigger than that, right? He was a world-eater. How about dragons were just the ones that sealed him away? It's not like they were the only ones he threatened.

Quote:
It's important to note that, as far as I can tell, all dragons were much more powerful back in the day
Yeah, I know. That's why I feel like they should be fighting their own battles, not just serving any god willing to offer the right price. And what would that price even be?

Quote:
although this brood was empowered even further to either defend against god(b) or counter Jormungand itself.
I don't think they should have been unequivocally more powerful than any other dragons. Maybe they were empowered differently, but not necessarily any further. Other, more natural dragons, should have their own powers. This brood was subjected to some divine intervention, but presumably that kind of enchantment comes with a cost.

How about Not-Nidhogg's brood was stolen by the god who enchanted them? That would explain why they were serving him, and also make them sort of abominations in the eyes of other dragons.

Quote:
Alright, so now I know more about this Traitor King. Say, is he... "evil"? Anyway, what I had thought about these people and Jormungand is that through the generations, they'd have learned that there was a special something held back. They wouldn't know it was the great beast itself, but they'd have learned a great force was waiting to be unleashed.
Okay, so A, Emperor. "Traitor Emperor." Not king.

B, if you're talking about the way certain Emperors were considered 'evil' in that they drained the land and people of its energy, then yes. But no, I don't think I myself consider him evil. He genuinely wanted what was best for his people, but he was willing to become a monster to see it through. He was willing to curse his land and his countrymen in the short term, because in the long term he thought he could lead them safely through, into the light at the end of the tunnel.

I don't like the idea of him deliberately unleashing a monster he knew nothing about. He wasn't an idiot. He just wanted the power locked up in the ley lines of his land. None of the land's rulers or scholars had ever figured out it was some kind of draconic rune-magic seal.

Quote:
So after Nidhogg escaped the Dragonfall or whatever, he would have thought the seals where unbreakable and have become content in staying there. But when the mages did the thing, he realized that there was great power these mortals could wield. He had seen the destruction of the Godswar and the Dragonfall, and he didn't want to see everything risk bring destroyed. He had also observed, across the ages, that there were great forces from beyond (all those immortal beings) that threatened to eventually destroy Solthris. What if they threatened the gods themselves? So after redoing the seals and transforming the merfolk, he decided to stay.
Sounds awfully altruistic. What kind of god did he even serve, anyway?

By the by, I'd like to think that Not-Jormungandr's master wasn't actually one of the 'bad guys,' particularly because that would mean there were 'bad guys' and 'good guys' during the god war, which would be boring.

Quote:
What are Skytotem's secret plans?
I don't know, dummy, they're secret. He's just been the guy in charge of some of the background lore, particularly concerning dragons and their nature.

Quote:
Nidhogg, being one of the most powerful dragons still around, would earn their respect.
Is he, though? I mean, there have to be other powerful dragons who somehow weathered the Dragonfall, right? I'd like some of the greats to feel differently about Nidhogg's priorities (and maybe even hate him for his aberrant, god-touched nature), and some of the lesser ones to resent his arrogance (particularly in light of how unnatural he was).

Quote:
There is today a main-kind of merfolk empire along what was is the sunken land, but also one or two separate states. Although the island-merfolk are close to the main kind, the tentacle merfolk live in other places, up north, and the deep-merfolk, well, very deep, in waters that have always been ocean. And then there's the Naga place, where Nidhogg's roost is (mountain-island surrounded by a ring of corals).
Were there always three species, and if not when did they speciate? And is there really no disunity within each species? I mean, the way you're going, it seems like everything and everyone is just noble and good all the time.

Quote:
The dragons are still around, even if Nidhogg's gone. Maybe there is some power struggle between them? I don't think so.
Are you kidding me? They're dragons. Of course there's a power struggle. Dragons are bigger tyrants than that one lizard.

Quote:
Njorthos is a good name. What is it?
Nothing I'd heard of, it just feels like such an aggressively Norse way of talking about 'land in the north.' It's even got a random 'j' in it, look!
Quote:
Quote:
Old Yesterday, 11:24 PM

World Builder

Quote:
I don't know if dragons should have been on the market to be 'recruited.' I get the impression they were fighting their own battles, for their own reasons.

I'm also not feeling the idea that Not-Jormungandr was just 'the dragonkiller.' I mean, he's bigger than that, right? He was a world-eater. How about dragons were just the ones that sealed him away? It's not like they were the only ones he threatened.
Possibilities:

-NotNidhogg's* brood was crafted by the deities and either intentionally or coincidentally resemble dragons

-The brood was made up of eggs taken and raised by the deities, possibly altered by them

-The brood existed separate from the deities and became allied with them over the course of the EonsWar, and possibly empowered by them.

My thoughts on NotJormungar is that it was intended as a world-level weapon, but was primarily in combat against dragons until it was sealed.

Quote:
Yeah, I know. That's why I feel like they should be fighting their own battles, not just serving any god willing to offer the right price. And what would that price even be?

I don't think they should have been unequivocally more powerful than any other dragons. Maybe they were empowered differently, but not necessarily any further. Other, more natural dragons, should have their own powers. This brood was subjected to some divine intervention, but presumably that kind of enchantment comes with a cost.

How about Not-Nidhogg's brood was stolen by the god who enchanted them? That would explain why they were serving him, and also make them sort of abominations in the eyes of other dragons.
My personal favorite among the possibilities is that NotNidhogg's brood was simply a group of dragons more willing to work with the deities, and grew close enough with them as allies and possibly friends, that they mingled magic and knowledge. They weren't inherently super-powerful compared to other dragons but they had a broader/different pool of magic spells to draw on. Other dragons probably looked down on them for this initially, seeing it as them losing their pride, or decrying them as 'pets', though this probably became less vehement after the sealing of NotJormungar there's likely always an element of overall mistrust or disdain, even if it's overcome for some individuals.

In truth NotNidhogg's brood might've been stronger on average than other dragons in the past, but over time other dragons have developed magics of their own so even if most of the brood hadn't died out things would've changed over time. (A good comparison might be that NotNidhogg's group multiclassed while most dragon broods are 'purists' in their own styles of magic, or perhaps a Mystic-Theurge would be a better comparison)

I'm thinking the reason NotNidhogg is the last of his brood is the area the seal is in was originally where their roost was and the mountain-range was leveled to the point that it's farmland in modern times, so even those not usually involved in combat perished. I do agree with the idea of the place they seal him being the dimension the deity that made NotJormundgar used when crafting their world-eater.

Quote:
Okay, so A, Emperor. "Traitor Emperor." Not king.

B, if you're talking about the way certain Emperors were considered 'evil' in that they drained the land and people of its energy, then yes. But no, I don't think I myself consider him evil. He genuinely wanted what was best for his people, but he was willing to become a monster to see it through. He was willing to curse his land and his countrymen in the short term, because in the long term he thought he could lead them safely through, into the light at the end of the tunnel.

I don't like the idea of him deliberately unleashing a monster he knew nothing about. He wasn't an idiot. He just wanted the power locked up in the ley lines of his land. None of the land's rulers or scholars had ever figured out it was some kind of draconic rune-magic seal.
That'll make an interesting narrative. It'll be fun to explore what makes him feel it's all necessary. I do think it'd be nice to explore them knowing what's down there and thinking they can use it as a battery. Maybe he even thinks he's doing a 'good' thing by weakening the monster in the seal by draining it of some power.

Quote:

By the by, I'd like to think that Not-Jormungandr's master wasn't actually one of the 'bad guys,' particularly because that would mean there were 'bad guys' and 'good guys' during the god war, which would be boring.

I don't know, dummy, they're secret. He's just been the guy in charge of some of the background lore, particularly concerning dragons and their nature.
It hasn't been discussed yet but something in the Braggi/Mimir vein seems most likely to me given the influence of runes and magic. Eth and I will have to sort out the pantheon.

I agree, though being more precise on exactly where NotJormundgar falls on the scale of godly weapons will help with that. I like to think that while it wasn't the only divine weapon of its class, it was one of the bigger ones, and speaks towards desperation, sorrow, aggression, or extremism on the part of its creator.

Mwhahaha! Hehe no, in all reality I don't think what I have could really be considered plans so much as outlines in hopes of keeping things running smoothly and having a few pleasant surprises or novel ideas along the way.

Quote:
Is he, though? I mean, there have to be other powerful dragons who somehow weathered the Dragonfall, right?

I'd like some of the greats to feel differently about Nidhogg's priorities (and maybe even hate him for his aberrant, god-touched nature), and some of the lesser ones to resent his arrogance (particularly in light of how unnatural he was).

Are you kidding me? They're dragons. Of course there's a power struggle. Dragons are bigger tyrants than that one lizard.
I'm thinking NotNidhogg is definitely "up there" in terms of power but not the strongest remaining dragon. There are a few dozen of his power remaining alive, though only a few are 'active' in the current world, with the rest mostly dormant or living very reclusively.

As to priorities, some younger ones don't believe the NotJormungar is that deadly, others believe they should take a more direct roll in running the merfolk or mortals as a whole, some think its escape is inevitable and they should make a way to kill it or disjoint its prison from the world**, others think NotNidhogg's done a bad job and they ought to take charge or that his godtouched nature makes him ill-suited to the task. That isn't to say NotNidhogg's actually done a bad job, or that he doesn't have his supporters though.

Quote:
Nothing I'd heard of, it just feels like such an aggressively Norse way of talking about 'land in the north.' It's even got a random 'j' in it, look!
So sounds like current plan is

Njorthos- The northern half of Gruthar / the name for the continent used by people in Brondheim (which is the unified nation in the northern half)

Frelherth- Arcturan/Nymph lands

Suggested names for Ethenil's consideration

NotNidhogg's brood - Nvordrakkr

NotNidhogg themself - Nyradiir, I like the idea that most common-folk call him "The Hrynrdrak" or "The Elgrdrak", and since he's the last of his kind he might call himself "The Nvordrak" to folks he's not close to.

NotJormungar- Rydfellnokkir (The Emptier / The One That Empties The World And Fills It With Itself)

---

Nulawan Desert Dwarves:
Prospective Nation name- Syravid

Prospective background: Once a modest trading post in the western part of the Xaxalin empire, the weakening and eventual collapse of the empire over time made it an increasingly important trading post. Its local merchant families gradually became a sort of regional nobility that well recognized that the winds of trade were fickle though, and sought to preserve their city's prominence by developing magnificent academies in the area to the arts and sciences. Soon enough it became known not as a trade city, but as a center of magical study, with a particular focus on gemstone based magic. Over time their influence swelled and they were an empire in their own right, though not on the scale of the ancient Xaxalin empire, until they collapsed back to being a smaller nation (through war, loss of colonies, pestilence, etc... not sure yet)

Possibilities
-Jinn were a kind of magical AI (ala Siri, Cortana or Alexa), and either achieved sapience or went wild

-Jinn were magic based beings, either worked with the dwarves or were enslaved by them, possibly rebelling

My Worldbuilding:
Old Yesterday, 11:42 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
I thought more like "allied themselves with" rather than "recruited".

Quote:
A world-eater who was specifically good against dragons maybe.

Quote:
Their objective aligned with that of this particular god.

Quote:
I didn't mean more powerful, but they had special powers.

Quote:
Stolen? What do you mean?

Quote:
Alrighty then.

Quote:
Why can't some people not be assholes?

A kind of nature god is guess.

Quote:
Never stated it was a bad guy god :p

Quote:
Is he, though? I mean, there have to be other powerful dragons who somehow weathered the Dragonfall, right? I'd like some of the greats to feel differently about Nidhogg's priorities (and maybe even hate him for his aberrant, god-touched nature), and some of the lesser ones to resent his arrogance (particularly in light of how unnatural he was).
He would be one of the most powerful left because I guess few dragons escaped the Dragonfall with few weakenings.

I don't really feel like everyone hating everyone is the way to go. However, other dragons not in his faction might be against him, yeah.

Quote:
Were there always three species, and if not when did they speciate? And is there really no disunity within each species? I mean, the way you're going, it seems like everything and everyone is just noble and good all the time.
I'm thinking that from the start there were already the four species. And there certainly is disunity. The main-breed merfolk empire works like any other, and there are a couple of other kingdoms of those around, too. There are island/river merfolk in that empire, but also in rivers in Xaxalin. Then there's the deep sea ones and the tentacle ones, which are a whole different story. The deep sea are more mystical, and the tentacle are much more violent.

Also, evil doesn't come easily to me.

Quote:
Dragons don't always have to be tyrannical.

---
EDIT: I agree with what Mutters said. So be it done, names included.

Last edited by Ethenil; Yesterday at 11:47 PM..

Tags
collaboration, creative, worldbuilding