Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 07-18-2017, 01:32 AM

Arch-Druid

a) Do bans in the forums result in bans in the discord?

b) Have I ever been brought up here?

c) That was a cool post, Cantus.
Old 07-18-2017, 03:52 AM

Elune
BattleTag: miffy#1110

Quote:
Originally Posted by HlaaluStyle View Post
Miffy should be reprimanded for what he said to Gurzog. He made an implied threat, and his comment was absolutely political.

However, I don't think Mutterscrawl's reaction to Frost was anything worse than somewhat terse, which Mutters has already acknowledged and Frost has already accepted. There's no reason to discuss it any further.
It was an obvious reference to Spencer being punched in the face, and the comment was in reference to Pepe being mostly associated with him and his movement of racist trash. Not a direct threat against gurzog lol wtf am I even reading.

Last edited by miffy23; 07-18-2017 at 04:56 AM..
Old 07-18-2017, 04:51 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

And this is why I'd like everyone not give others the benefit of the doubt and not assume the worst of them. You lose nothing by simply asking for clarification.

That said, let's respect Mutterscrawl's wishes and try to avoid bringing up politics in the discord even in the form of a joke.

@Ethenil:
That's up to Mutterscrawl, and afaik, you are in no danger.

Last edited by Nazja; 07-18-2017 at 04:59 AM..
Old 07-18-2017, 04:56 AM

Elune
BattleTag: miffy#1110

Edited it out, I was mildly annoyed.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:01 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by miffy23 View Post
Edited it out, I was mildly annoyed.
Thanks. Let us not speak of it again.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:40 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethenil View Post
Yes, but only for actual serious stuff, if the mods -want- me to ban Gurzog from the discord for things like when Rev banned him the other day for making an poor-taste comment about the death of the forum then they've gotta tell me how long it's gonna be.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 07-18-2017, 09:06 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
Been planning to respond all day and got caught in real life, so forgive me if the following is a touch out of date.

Just for the record, I've suspended Kakwakas before and warned him on several occasions over the years he's been here. The difference, as Aneurysm pointed out, is that Kakwakas didn't call other users things like "autist" or "mudslime" (whereas Hammer did so without any prompting). When Kakwakas is too passive-aggressive (or outright aggressive) and we're made aware of it, he gets warned or suspended same as everyone else (e.g. see Genya). That said, my prior ruling is still in effect. You need to bring evidence to the table (reports/links) otherwise this is just a witch hunt, and I'm not going to tolerate witch hunts from either side of the aisle towards users. And speaking of witch hunts...

Folks can blame me all they'd like, but the fact is I'm not the person who turned SoL on its head. You can thank the American Political Experience (aka Hillary vs Trump) for making people on all sides of the political spectrum more extreme and aggressive in their rhetoric. I have and will always readily admit my failures in method (despite being well-meaning), but everyone here has to admit that they've ramped up their suspicions and outright accusations of people they're in opposition to. Part of that is a diverging source of news and part of that is the fact that we're literally speaking different languages and refusing to learn the other side's.

So, instead of blaming each other or Staff for high crimes and misdemeanors, let's start a new chapter in the forum.

Step one, don't assume someone's opinion or beliefs. Ask for clarification and sources. Someone saying "You People" is a bad idea in any locale, but even when faced with it, don't assume the worst of the other party and attack.

Step two, provide Staff with links to behavior, don't just make claims of it. We really are impartial when it comes to handling user behavior, our biases are the information we have available not how we want to treat users. If our information is limited, our judgments are. If it's not limited, we can make better judgments. And yes, that includes private information and messages. We can't help you if you're unwilling to give us the full story.

Step three, this is neither a safe space nor is it a rabid riot, find the middle ground between them. Things will be said that are uncomfortable to hear, and so long as it's not unprompted expletives, don't treat them as if it's a mortal insult to your soul. As above, ask what the intent was. Further, take a deep breath and remember that this is an international forum with no restriction on membership except that we treat each other with a basic sense of respect and human decency. Well, okay, we also report felonies, but no valid user has ever had to deal with that distinction (bots on the other hand...).

Individually:
Frost, if you feel like Kakwakas is harassing you, then that's a matter for the Staff. We're not just here to punish, we're here to arbitrate and translate too. In fact, that's one of the primary functions, to stop things before warnings/suspensions need to start. Suspensions and bans are last resort measures for exactly that reason. So if we can help facilitate a more reasonable dialogue between the two of you, we'd prefer it. If not, yes we're willing to mete out punishments as necessary (regardless of political leanings).

Anansi, yes Frost is sensitive to the issue of his personal community. We all are. That doesn't mean he's trying to subvert the forum in some conspiratorial fashion, that just means he's reacting to prompts. Both of you can and should take a breath, review your own words, and ask whether you're escalating things unnecessarily.

Drusus, I'm going to ignore the usual rant against me and ask that you reword your other criticisms into something less vitriolic. Because you do bring up points that are true, things I think about every day and actually agree with. One of them is how slow Staff are in how we act, react, and update things. I've been trying to find reasonable ways around that (as opposed to tyrannical ones), as have others. That said, there's one thing that won't change (because we've voted on in multiple times and each time without any change in voting pattern). Politics aren't disappearing from the forum. Not only is that nearly impossible (because allegories to real life are a part of Blizzard's story), it's also ignoring the disease for a symptom. We don't know how to speak to each other anymore, which means we're jumping down each other's throats over trivial things (much less important ones).

Rag, stick around and help translate.

Aneurysm, I appreciate the more level headed discourse, but even then it's still passive-aggressive (e.g. "hissy fit"). Calling others children should be reserved for truly childish behavior.

Gurzog, for the love of god and all that's holy, chill on the vitriol. I'm all for mild, even moderate trolling, but 24/7 hate-trolling isn't useful to you or the community.
It's ridiculous how polarized politics have become in this country in the past 10 years. It's like we're in a competition to see how much more we can embarrass ourselves to the rest of the 1st world every year.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:05 AM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethenil View Post

b) Have I ever been brought up here?

c) That was a cool post, Cantus.
As Nazja noted, I've never seen any distinct statement on your behavior, which is to say if you had come up, it was in such a minor capacity we don't remember it.

Forum suspensions/bans are separate from discord suspensions. They may translate to Discord, but only if we discuss it with Mutters and both sides agree that it's in the best interest to remove them from SoL partners too.

Killing the discord isn't something we've discussed in-depth within the Staff, but my personal preference is that it stick around. Every service has a place. Forums fulfill a place where well-thought out and complete ideas can be built on. It's a stable record of events, as well as a place to easily join in on ideas that are established (as opposed to getting lost in the history/shuffle of it all). Discord is good for idle conversation, spam, and quick discussion. You can even hold live things like workshops or radio-plays if you'd like.

And the two have a reasonable enough cross-over that you can switch from one to the other without worrying something will breakdown. Solthris is a great example of this, where a contentious discussion about how to build its mythology was quickly solved as opposed to taking weeks of back and forth confusion.

We (Staff) have begun using it to keep in touch with each other for quick/impromptu discussions as well as meetings where we just need to buckle down and make a decision.

So all in all, Discord makes sense to me. Other Staff members will have their own opinions though, so don't take this statement as gospel.

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:19 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by miffy23 View Post
It was an obvious reference to Spencer being punched in the face, and the comment was in reference to Pepe being mostly associated with him and his movement of racist trash. Not a direct threat against gurzog lol wtf am I even reading.
To be fair your post screamed "internet tough guy." Which is why I responded with "we've got a badass over here" line. It was kind of political but mainly it was silly because I can't imagine you punching anyone.

Either way this is being blown out of proportion and lets not make needless drama. Nothing ruins fun places like too much drama and we at SoL are already drowning in it. Lets tone it down.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:00 AM

Problemsolver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
Aneurysm, I appreciate the more level headed discourse, but even then it's still passive-aggressive (e.g. "hissy fit"). Calling others children should be reserved for truly childish behavior.
I'm sorry for coming across as passive-aggressive, it's not my intention to stirr any shit up. But I genuinely don't know how to refer to these posts but to call them truly childish. Part of growing up and becoming an adult is learning to control your emotions. These are not posts made by an emotionally mature adult.
Old 07-20-2017, 04:15 AM

Eternal

I've been asked to clarify if my break from posting here has anything to do with the local political shenanigans. The answer is negative. While I've had my reservations about the way this forum is going, it has nothing to do with some strange notion that there's a case of political persecution or similar going on.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:36 AM

Sentinel Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
I'it has nothing to do with some strange notion that there's a case of political persecution or similar going on.
Of course as a conservative/liberal/other you would say that.
Typical communist/fascist/wight denial !
Old 07-21-2017, 05:38 PM

Elune

Quote:
I've been asked to clarify if my break from posting here has anything to do with the local political shenanigans. The answer is negative. While I've had my reservations about the way this forum is going, it has nothing to do with some strange notion that there's a case of political persecution or similar going on.
You will be missed!
Old 07-21-2017, 08:53 PM

Site Staff - Moderator
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

Quote:
Well, you're always welcome here. Come on back now, y'hear?
Old 07-22-2017, 11:56 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhardt View Post
wight denial !
I'll have you know that denying the existence of wights and white walkers is a time honoured tradition in Westerosi politics!
Old 07-22-2017, 02:50 PM

Elune

When does the Overwatch contest that other people should participate in end?
Old 07-22-2017, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
At least one more week, which is probably also when you'll receive a more accurate answer.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:27 PM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
I'm out in the woods at the moment, can't say when I'll get internet. Suffice to say, the contest will be open for at least a couple weeks (until I'm back home).

But... Folks shouldn't dawdle, start submitting now, otherwise the iterations that win may not be the ones you're most proud of (because you don't have time/help to refine it).

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Old Today, 03:39 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellick View Post
Well, you're always welcome here. Come on back now, y'hear?
Well, I will be gone for the whole of August again, but I might come back to regular or at least semi-regular posting after that, depends. I remember there was some talk about a restructuralization of the forum, including the Fan Works section. That might end up pretty important to me, seeing how much of my activity here has always been tied to my fan works.

Tags
administrators, admins, assing, moderations, moderators, mods, no gifs allowed, regulations, rules, tag police