Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 06-12-2014, 07:41 PM

Eternal

Default Pre-Shattering Durotar Famine

Sorry for another one of these request threads, but for the life of me, I can't find something again. I recall reading somewhere that during the famine and drought that struck Durotar that the Orcs would have been way worse off and facing starvation if the Darkspears hadn't helped by catching fish.

Can anyone confirm that and name me the source? I want to say it was in a novel, but it may have been a short story or a quest...
Old 06-12-2014, 07:44 PM

Elune

it was a short story but i dont remember if it was Vol'jin's or Garrosh's
Old 06-12-2014, 07:44 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenyaArikado View Post
it was a short story but i dont remember if it was Vol'jin's or Garrosh's
Thanks, that helps narrow it down considerably. I have a feeling it'll be Vol'jin's, so I'll check there.

Much appreciated!

[Edit]: Opened up my copy of Paragons, tried a CTRL+F for Fish, and came up with nothing in those two short stories.

Last edited by Vexander; 06-12-2014 at 07:47 PM..
Old 06-12-2014, 08:10 PM

Elune

it wasn't that? i remembered it being there :/ idk then
Old 06-12-2014, 08:16 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenyaArikado View Post
it wasn't that? i remembered it being there :/ idk then
Thanks anyways. I just wish I could remember where it was from... Maybe somewhere in MoP? Or Tides of War? Hrng...
Old 06-12-2014, 09:21 PM

Eternal

There is abit of a fish bit from Garrosh's story IIRC.

However, the main complaint there is about massive prices.
Basically, the markets aren't necessarily barren it's just everything is so god damn fucking expensive.

IIRC.

Is this what you are talking about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry's Story Page 4
His skin. He looked down at the backs of his hands and saw their rich brown color against the stained red of the rock. He frowned. Did the orcs of Thrall’s Horde truly not remember where they came from? Was there really such meaning in his appearance?

A nearby splash made him look up. A young female orc was pulling in a fishing net. He absently watched her work. Her skin, of course, was green. She turned to wade closer to shore, and his two eyes met her one. A patch covered the place where her right eye would have been. To his surprise, she scowled at him ferociously.

“It’s fun, isn’t it,” she called, her voice dripping contempt as her net dripped water, “to sit there and watch me grapple with some fish? I hope you enjoy it.”

Garrosh snorted at her. “I don’t care what you do. Fish or not as you see fit. Buy it at the markets if you dislike the work.”

“Buy it?” She threw back her head and laughed. “Are you going to pay for it? Easy for you to say, Hellscream! Yes, I know who you are.”

He laughed back at her. “Of course, you do. I’m the only Mag’har in Orgrimmar. If you didn’t know, you’d have to be missing your other eye.”

“Arrogant as your father was.” She began to gather her net and stuff it into a burlap sack. “You are a fool, as was he.”

At her words the blood boiled in Garrosh’s veins. He leaped down from the rock where he had been sitting and strode up to her. “My father sacrificed his life for you and the rest of Thrall’s people. It is thanks to him that you are free of the blood-curse!”

“It is thanks to him there was a curse in the first place!” she retorted. “And I am none of the warchief’s people! I am a daughter of the Horde, as were my parents before me, but my duty extends no further!”

Garrosh raged at her words. “You say you have no duty? You say you are not of the warchief’s people? As you stand in this city? Where we can be free to live in our own space without the fear of annihilation? Where we have everything we need?”

“Ha!” she snarled. “Let me ask you this, Hellscream: have you really seen this city? Yes, the marketplace overflows. But where does it come from? Where are the farms in Durotar?”

Garrosh narrowed his eyes. He knew there were a few on the outskirts of Orgrimmar, but they raised mostly swine and certainly brought no harvest of grain or fruit.

“Exactly!” she continued. “There are none. All we have is hauled in from miles away.” She glared at the bag where she stored her net. “Or what we can wrest from the desert. As for safety!” She laughed. “The Alliance encroaches farther into our land daily. If you can call this red rock 'land' anyway! To the north is Ashenvale Forest, full of everything we could ever need, but did we settle there? No! Instead we live in a desert! So tell me, Hellscream, why would the good warchief, who loves his people so, condemn us to this wasteland when just up the river there is far more bounty? He is either corrupt or incompetent, or both, and you seem to fit right in!”

That was the last straw.

Last edited by Taintedmage; 06-12-2014 at 09:28 PM..
Old 06-12-2014, 09:35 PM

Eternal

I wish it were, but I don't think it is. The story doesn't specifically note the fish having come from the Darkspears, and besides that, contextually speaking, that was before the War in Northrend, long before the Famine/Drought that preceded the Cataclysm.

Thank you for the attempt though.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:43 PM

Site Staff - Moderator
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

In 5.1 questing, when Vol'jin gives you his hearthstone to speak with Thrall, it's one of the things Thrall mentions on the way to Sen'jin village.

Thrall says: The land was harsh. Time and again it was Vol'jin and his people who ensured the Horde's survival, saving us from starvation, or taking up arms when we were attacked.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:21 AM

Eternal

And yet despite people now bow down and blowing voljin, he won't move orgrimmar away from the desert anymore then garry did. Of course kosak won't mention how the issue of drought or starvation is the same as it's always been, can't possibly taint his favourite trolls new image.

At least garrosh knew what needed to be done in order to survive, invade and take what was needed to live.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:45 AM

Warden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tauren Paly View Post
And yet despite people now bow down and blowing voljin, he won't move orgrimmar away from the desert anymore then garry did. Of course kosak won't mention how the issue of drought or starvation is the same as it's always been, can't possibly taint his favourite trolls new image.

At least garrosh knew what needed to be done in order to survive, invade and take what was needed to live.
They can always move the capital to the northern Barrens, right?
Old 06-13-2014, 12:52 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitrix View Post
They can always move the capital to the northern Barrens, right?
You honestly think blizzard go to the trouble ?
Old 06-13-2014, 01:16 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:

Old 06-13-2014, 01:31 AM

Warden

Quote:
You honestly think blizzard go to the trouble ?
Of course not. But from the point of view of the lore, they could.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Of course not. But from the point of view of the lore, they could.
How in the name of Elune's luminescent labia do you move a whole city?
Old 06-13-2014, 03:33 AM

Warden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
Magic, like with Dalaran. And with magic you can also make Durotar a better place without the need to migrate or moving the city. But then the orcs wouldn't be the victims .
Old 06-13-2014, 04:35 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Magic, like with Dalaran. And with magic you can also make Durotar a better place without the need to migrate or moving the city. But then the orcs wouldn't be the victims .
Alliance pull the victim card so often now, it's on par with today's Christians pulling it with movies like gods not dead.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:46 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Quote:
You use such beautiful alliteration there.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
You use such beautiful alliteration there.
I was torn between "Elune's luminescent labia" and "Elune's effervescent vulva"
Old 06-13-2014, 06:42 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

Are you really throwing a fit that Vol'jin isn't razing Orgrimmar to set up shop somewhere else while facing an invasion from another dimension?
Old 06-13-2014, 07:16 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellick View Post
Are you really throwing a fit that Vol'jin isn't razing Orgrimmar to set up shop somewhere else while facing an invasion from another dimension?
Clearly, Vol'jin told Thrall to settle Orgrimmar in the middle of a rocky desert. That jerk.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:18 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

If they moved Orgrimmar the orcs would be able to bathe. Vol'jin doesn't like that. He's all about that musky smell the orcs exude.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:21 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
If they moved Orgrimmar the orcs would be able to bathe. Vol'jin doesn't like that. He's all about that musky smell the orcs exude.
The Horde not being familiar with bathing has started to seem like a really weird concept to me, since they live perfectly close to accessible water areas. (Or is that still contaminated as per the Baine short story or some shit like that?)
Old 06-13-2014, 07:26 AM

Elune

Quote:

it's a beautiful alliteration indeed.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:35 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
The Horde not being familiar with bathing has started to seem like a really weird concept to me
Is that actually a real thing?
Old 06-13-2014, 08:00 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellick View Post
In 5.1 questing, when Vol'jin gives you his hearthstone to speak with Thrall, it's one of the things Thrall mentions on the way to Sen'jin village.

Thrall says: The land was harsh. Time and again it was Vol'jin and his people who ensured the Horde's survival, saving us from starvation, or taking up arms when we were attacked.
Thanks a ton Kellick =)

[Edit]: Hrmn... doesn't seem to be the source I'm looking for either. The one I'm looking for specifically mentions the Darkspear having helped with the Pre-Shattering Famine (as in Post-Lich Fall Pre-Shattering period), by catching fish to help feed the Orcs.

Last edited by Vexander; 06-13-2014 at 08:03 AM..

Tags
orks, speculation