Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Which Civilization game do you favor?
Civilization 0 0%
Civilization II 2 14.29%
Civilization III 2 14.29%
Civilization IV 4 28.57%
Civilization V 0 0%
Civilization VI 1 7.14%
Civilization: Call to Power 0 0%
Civilization: Beyond Earth 0 0%
I don't really care for any of them. 5 35.71%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-20-2017, 07:37 AM

Elune

Default Best Civilization

Since this came up in one of the lore threads:

What is your favored Civilization game?

(Alpha centauri and Colonization not included due
to technically not being part of the civilization line)
Old 04-20-2017, 07:49 AM

Elune

Do I even need to vote?

Now give me my stack of doom and let me invade some countries.

Sidenote, I always loved this cover. When I take over the world my palace will have this "tower of Babylon" style design but massive, much more massive.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:21 AM

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Yeah, I need to find a copy of Civ3.

I still play a lot of CivIV, and I enjoy it, but Civ3 was probably the peak of that game for me.

Hated Civ5. So much that I won't even give 6 a look.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:16 AM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

I never actually played Civ III, so I listed Civ IV as my favorite. The one thing I liked about Civ V was the way it handled units—I got really sick of the way units stacked in earlier games—but Civ IV was better in most respects (plus, it had an amazing soundtrack for all non-modern eras).

Haven't tried Civ VI yet. I don't like the way they're making you buy each new faction that gets added, so I probably won't touch it for some time.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 04-20-2017, 11:24 AM

Echo of the Past

Anansi and I picked the Civ that lets you use goblins, elves, and dwarves.

EDIT: Seriously, in Civ2, I once took a fully elaborate WWII scenario and edited the units and city names to make them Fantasy. Nazi Germany was Human, France was Elf, Russia was Undead, and Britain was a sort of Merfolk.

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 04-20-2017 at 11:28 AM..
Old 04-20-2017, 11:33 AM

Priestess of the Moon

I play BNW, I'll wait until they drop some expansions for VI before I play that.
I also have Rising Tide, which I dive into once in a while.
"Be it so. This burning of widows is your custom; prepare the funeral pile. But my nation has also a custom. When men burn women alive we hang them, and confiscate all their property. My carpenters shall therefore erect gibbets on which to hang all concerned when the widow is consumed. Let us all act according to national customs."
Charles James Napier
Old 04-20-2017, 11:38 AM

Elune

Question of interest:

Who here has actually played Call to Power?
Old 04-20-2017, 11:44 AM

Elune

Sometimes I wish there was a Civ-type game that placed more emphasis on geography. Like, if you started off as a nomad civ, the game would play much differently than if you started off as farmers/city-builders.

I don't think there'd be any way to make that balanced though. As nomads, I guess you'd win by conquering a more developed civilization and adopting their ways in order to stay relevant in the modern era.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 04-20-2017, 11:47 AM

Site Staff - Admin

PvP Symbol - Alliance

Civilization IV (<3):
  • The sweetest opening-menu (Baba Yetu!) experience ever
  • Addition of multiple leaders per civilization - allowing you to adopt different playstyles with the same civ while also allowing more influential historic people to be represented
  • Addition of unique buildings (in an expansion) adding more unique flavor to your civs
  • Addition of religions
  • Strong selection of playable civs (especially with the expansions)
  • Leonard Nimoy + Sid Meier voicing the technology quotes (many funny/interesting quotes used too)
  • Extremely-well supported with user-created content
  • Useful and fun built-in Civilopedia
Old 04-20-2017, 12:46 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by HlaaluStyle View Post
Sometimes I wish there was a Civ-type game that placed more emphasis on geography. Like, if you started off as a nomad civ, the game would play much differently than if you started off as farmers/city-builders.

I don't think there'd be any way to make that balanced though. As nomads, I guess you'd win by conquering a more developed civilization and adopting their ways in order to stay relevant in the modern era.
Civilization's premise is deeply flawed. That you can start playing America at year negative-whatever is absurd. So is the idea of a static scientific or cultural development tree.

All players should start with only bare-bones mythic roots (possibly informed by their starting location) and through their choices, environments, and randomized cultural events they should organically shape their civilization into a technological, militaristic, cultural, or hybrid juggernaut.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:49 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
Civilization's premise is deeply flawed. That you can start playing America at year negative-whatever is absurd. So is the idea of a static scientific or cultural development tree.

All players should start with only bare-bones mythic roots (possibly informed by their starting location) and through their choices, environments, and randomized cultural events they should organically shape their civilization into a technological, militaristic, cultural, or hybrid juggernaut.
Pretty much. While I love the franchise, it's almost totally ahistorical.

You can't have Egypt without the Nile River. You can't have the United States without the Enlightenment, the Reformation, and a whole lot of space.

Old 04-20-2017, 01:04 PM

Elune

To be fair while Civ3 has my heart, all Civ games I've played were enjoyable. It really is an amazing series.

One thing Civ does very well is produce historical moments without trying. What I mean by that is that Civ gives you a basic framework and from it very historical moments spring up. Like how once I had a heroic defense against a much superior opponent by holding a chokepoint (as a bonus I was Greece, the other side was not Persia though : /). Or another time I was fighting this massive India and the period was roughly WWI in terms of tech and it showed, he kept sending waves of infantry at me and infantry in Civ3 are very powerful defensively so what I had to do is dig in, turn one flatland tile into a killing field by wrecking his railroad and when his stacks would walk into it I would open up with my massed artillery and ship barrages then I would mop up his weakened troops. After a long while attrition crapped on him enough that I was able to move in and take over.
Meanwhile some games, like the Paradox style games, try very hard to follow history but in the end it feels forced and staged and not as awesome as when it happens in Civ. It is much better at creating alternate history.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:11 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
Question of interest:

Oh yes. It has my favorite introduction video. And I'll always remember the playable Hebrew civilization, whose male leader default was King David and whose female leader default was Golda Meir.

They had a lot of civ choices, even if they were identical.

Old 04-20-2017, 01:16 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
To be fair while Civ3 has my heart, all Civ games I've played were enjoyable. It really is an amazing series.

One thing Civ does very well is produce historical moments without trying. What I mean by that is that Civ gives you a basic framework and from it very historical moments spring up. Like how once I had a heroic defense against a much superior opponent by holding a chokepoint (as a bonus I was Greece, the other side was not Persia though : /). Or another time I was fighting this massive India and the period was roughly WWI in terms of tech and it showed, he kept sending waves of infantry at me and infantry in Civ3 are very powerful defensively so what I had to do is dig in, turn one flatland tile into a killing field by wrecking his railroad and when his stacks would walk into it I would open up with my massed artillery and ship barrages then I would mop up his weakened troops. After a long while attrition crapped on him enough that I was able to move in and take over.
Meanwhile some games, like the Paradox style games, try very hard to follow history but in the end it feels forced and staged and not as awesome as when it happens in Civ. It is much better at creating alternate history.
I once played a Civ V game as Poland. A mountain range divided me from a big chunk of land ruled by the Mongols and Assyrians. The Mongols kept getting their asses kicked.

So whenever the Assyrians invaded Mongolia, I'd intervene and kick the Assyrians out. This meant Mongolia loved me. I'd also give all captured Assyrian cities to Mongolia, which meant they exhausted themselves trying to maintain order. Thus, neither Assyria nor Mongolia could ever actually threaten me.

Old 04-20-2017, 01:18 PM

Banished

Alpha Centauri. Then Civ 6
Old 04-20-2017, 02:24 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by HlaaluStyle View Post

The problem (from a series gameplay perspective) with doing it like that is that you suddenly end up with a lot fewer choices, because the direction of your civilization ends up being at the mercy of the terrain generator.

Though maybe you could compensate for that through making scouting a lot easier, or revealing a bigass chunk of the map when you select your starting area.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:47 PM

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
Question of interest:

As I recall, it was hot garbage. I played it, but not for long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
Civilization IV (<3):
  • The sweetest opening-menu (Baba Yetu!) experience ever
  • Addition of multiple leaders per civilization - allowing you to adopt different playstyles with the same civ while also allowing more influential historic people to be represented
  • Addition of unique buildings (in an expansion) adding more unique flavor to your civs
  • Addition of religions
  • Strong selection of playable civs (especially with the expansions)
  • Leonard Nimoy + Sid Meier voicing the technology quotes (many funny/interesting quotes used too)
  • Extremely-well supported with user-created content
  • Useful and fun built-in Civilopedia
Can't disagree with any of this. I really love CivIV... although I found CivIII easier to customize... which was fun, because I liked giving each Civ more unique units throughout history.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:44 PM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

I started with the 4th. Liked it quite a bit but doomstacks annoyed me. Liked the city population thing where conquered cities over time converted to your culture/replaced it's population.

Though I really, really like the changes in the 6th so I voted for that.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 04-21-2017, 08:32 AM

Elune

I'd like Beyond Earth a whole lot better if its wonders were a bit more wonderful. Those things are just massively disappointing. I will say I actually really like the various leaders though, possibly more than a lot of the Alpha Centauri ones (as heretical as it is to say. Morgan, Yang and Zakharov are still the champions though)

V had some very solid ideas for how to handle the various civilizations. If nothing else, I'd love to see that degree of divergence transferred to my more favored civ games.

Tags
survey, vidja games