Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > Halls of Lordaeron

Old 10-27-2018, 01:18 PM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
The MAGAbomber.
Right.

Remember a few years ago when I repeatedly stated that attacking conservatives without condemnation would lead to more violence?

That hitting people in the back of the head with bags of rocks or metal bike locks was bad? That chemicle attacks for inaugurations really needed to be cut out?

That maybe rhetoric that leads to shooting up members of the government should be reigned in?

Well. Kind of why.

Although, im also going to point out how extra the media is with this. I certainly would have liked to see the same sort of reaction earlier this month when someone tried to assassinate conservative figures, including the sitting president and secretary of defense.
That's just outright victim blaming. Look at the MAGAbomber's van and what his facebook looked like and it's pretty fucking clear what influenced him. And what was the response from the right to the biggest political assassination attempt in history? Memes, conspiracy theories, and the president calling to imprison one of the victims.

If you think mean words are leading to right-wing extremists conducting these attacks, what the fuck do you think all of this violence (and the right's reaction to it) is going to do to people on the other side?
Member #14
Old 10-27-2018, 01:35 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
That's just outright victim blaming. Look at the MAGAbomber's van and what his facebook looked like and it's pretty fucking clear what influenced him. And what was the response from the right to the biggest political assassination attempt in history? Memes, conspiracy theories, and the president calling to imprison one of the victims.

If you think mean words are leading to right-wing extremists conducting these attacks, what the fuck do you think all of this violence (and the right's reaction to it) is going to do to people on the other side?
Literally this month was a bigger attempt. Literally this month. With Ricin.

And attempted murder, on multiple occasions, from the left is more than mean words.

You just dont care that people were hitting people in the head with chunks of metal, because it was against your opponents. So you ignore it and call it mean words.

Your side initiated tge violence.
Your side ignored calls for years of people saying its only going to make things worse.

And your side continues to ignore it, using calls to harrass, intimidate, and use violence against your political opponents.

Whelp. Guess what.

It got worse.
SHOCKER.
Old 10-27-2018, 02:01 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DrRobert#1475

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
Literally this month was a bigger attempt. Literally this month. With Ricin.

And attempted murder, on multiple occasions, from the left is more than mean words.

You just dont care that people were hitting people in the head with chunks of metal, because it was against your opponents. So you ignore it and call it mean words.

Your side initiated tge violence.
Your side ignored calls for years of people saying its only going to make things worse.

And your side continues to ignore it, using calls to harrass, intimidate, and use violence against your political opponents.

Whelp. Guess what.

It got worse.
SHOCKER.
lol your logic is so tortured it violates the geneva convention. This "both sides" garbage is so transparent. Also, hi everybody!
Now imagine a music, dear readers, heavy with cellos at a rapid staccato. Cellos held between thighs in a dark room. The little room of Harry's chest as he walks with his teammates to the opening gate of his first Test of Cribbage. They are a rag-tag group of champions, this bunch, and with Harry, the near-perfect new god, they know they will dominate the day. Harry is a world laced with rivers of wizardly blood. He is ready.
Old 10-27-2018, 02:41 PM

Elune

Do you know something about the ricin guy I don't? You keep mentioning him but AFAIK we have no idea what his motive was. Seems he was a religious nutter.
Member #14
Old 10-27-2018, 05:23 PM

Elune

Quote:
Do you know something about the ricin guy I don't? You keep mentioning him but AFAIK we have no idea what his motive was. Seems he was a religious nutter.
"This guy" is a religious nutter, going on about how god made people wrong per his manager.

And my point is the massive disparity between the two reporting. Ricin dude, like this dude, was a major PoS.

Quote:
lol your logic is so tortured it violates the geneva convention. This "both sides" garbage is so transparent. Also, hi everybody!

/2017/05/dvcprofarrest.jpg?w=810[/IMG]

Last edited by Ruinshin; 10-27-2018 at 05:26 PM..
Old 10-29-2018, 05:49 PM

Echo of the Past

I started to read the article, but I had to take a break when it referred to "the sex they were assigned at birth". As if doctors are picking a person's sex at random.

You hear that phrase all the time, too. The verbiage makes it very difficult for to take the thing seriously. We live in a real, actual world here.

EDIT: And also, fuck Trump. In case we forget.

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 10-29-2018 at 05:54 PM..
Old 10-29-2018, 06:07 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I started to read the article, but I had to take a break when it referred to "the sex they were assigned at birth". As if doctors are picking a person's sex at random.

You hear that phrase all the time, too. The verbiage makes it very difficult for to take the thing seriously. We live in a real, actual world here.

It's not like the docs are sitting there doing genetic testing on babies when they pop out. Even without accounting for transgenderism, intersex conditions are more common than you might think.
Member #14
Old 10-29-2018, 07:03 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
It's not like the docs are sitting there doing genetic testing on babies when they pop out. Even without accounting for transgenderism, intersex conditions are more common than you might think.
The narrative I've heard is that "sex" and "gender" are unrelated. Sex is defined by a person's body, while gender is defined by a person's self-identity.

I've seen terms like "cisgender" come into existence during my lifetime, whose definitions are based on the immutable dichonomy between one's sex and gender.

EDIT: I realize my point isn't clear. What I mean to say is... by using "sex assigned at birth" as a blanket substitute for "sex", even in clear cases when there is no difference between the two, we create an implication that "sex" does not actually exist. And I'm not yet crazy enough to entertain that.

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 10-29-2018 at 08:34 PM..
Old 10-31-2018, 06:07 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
Well as I've said before I keep in touch with SoL exiles extensively and I can tell you virtually nothing in your caricature is true, there is no hate towards anyone in the people who left, including Hammer (he just had a very crass way of talking but hey britbong ). There is disagreement on policies but no true bigotry. But at some point having a different opinion became equated with "literally Hitler."
We did lose some good posters, but Hammerbrew was really just an asshole. You're forgetting or never paid attention to some of the shit he said. Refusing to step off, spouting bigoted bullshit, decreeing anyone who contradicted him as completely out of line for daring to speak against him. Nobody here was literally Hitler. But Hammer was a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:22 PM

Elune

War Crime Promotin' Bolton has praised the new far right extremist elected in Brazil.
https://www.businessinsider.com/john...sonaro-2018-11
Surprise, surprise.
Member #14
Old 11-03-2018, 07:24 AM

Arch-Druid

Also, guess what..?

https://www.vox.com/world/2018/11/1/...troika-tyranny
John Bolton just gave an “Axis of Evil” speech about Latin America
The US will now go after a so-called “Troika of Tyranny”: Cuba, Venezuela, and Nicaragua.

I guess he needs something else to bomb after they're doing Iran.
Old 11-04-2018, 03:45 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

I did not want to ban Hammerbrew. This might sound strange coming from a mod who voted to ban him (not that you would have known, given that the vote wasn't public), but it is the truth. I do not derive any pleasure from banning someone, unless they happen to a bot or criminal. There is a reason why I more or less gently tried to coax him to change his behaviour, become more compliant with SoL's very few rules. But it just wasn't working; nothing up to this point had worked. One of the last things he said on this forum is that he had never had issues with me, and that is true on my side too. But that never should be a reason to let his behaviour towards others slide.

In an ideal SoL, both Hammer and Genya would have been banned years ago, before our inaction (though I wasn't a mod at the time) made it seem as if their behaviour was, if not sanctioned, acceptable on SoL. Maybe in this scenario other posters, like Yaska, Smoke, Drusus and the others, would not have left. I don't know.

But do I regret banning Hammer? No.

I regret not having given him a last warning first. Although I doubt that he would have taken the chance offered to him, it should at least have been given.

That said, not getting banned on this forum is not witchcraft. All of this could have easily been avoided.

Last edited by Nazja; 11-04-2018 at 03:52 AM..
Old 11-04-2018, 07:33 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
We did lose some good posters, but Hammerbrew was really just an asshole. You're forgetting or never paid attention to some of the shit he said. Refusing to step off, spouting bigoted bullshit, decreeing anyone who contradicted him as completely out of line for daring to speak against him. Nobody here was literally Hitler. But Hammer was a jerk.
I never took issue with combative styles of posting so I did not with Hammer either. Yes he is not fond at all of certain groups but even that is overstated. If you asked him to tell you what he would do if it was up to him, no memeing no BS, he would probably just ban immigration and kick out people who commit crime. Hardly an extremist position even though he tends to shout and cuss making it all sound worse. That ties in with my point about free speech, unless someone is making legitimate threats, then they should be allowed to say their piece and have their opinion judged by the market of ideas. In an odd sense free speech is almost an illiberal idea because it serves as a pressure valve for people. People who bitch are not ones to raise a revolt, those who are cracked down upon harshly are. This, and many other reasons, is why stringent free speech is necessary and something to be applauded and not thrown away as many seem inclined to do today.
Old 11-05-2018, 05:19 AM

Arch-Druid

Nobody was sent to jail.
Hammer want to insult people he has a whole country to do so.
Forums and communities have rules and if you can't follow them, you have no place in them.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:31 PM

Elune

Sessions has been fired and Whitaker, his replacement, has so far refused to recuse himself. Rosenstein is out. Protests tomorrow.
https://act.moveon.org/event/mueller...events/search/

On a positive note, since Team Good Guys won back the House, even if Mueller's investigation is fully halted, they'll be able to subpoena him and all information he gathered in January. I think this was donnie panicking in response to Jr's imminent indictment.
Member #14

Last edited by Kakwakas; 11-07-2018 at 09:16 PM..
Old 11-12-2018, 05:44 PM

Elune

Reminder that Republicans, especially donnie, hate the military and veterans and have absolutely no respect for us.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...112-story.html
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...avoiding-rain/
Member #14
Old 11-13-2018, 09:51 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Millenia#1386

After Trump's Tax Cuts, Companies Eliminated More Jobs Than They Created

Reagonomics continues to fail to match up with its propaganda.

Quote:

Quote:
The narrative I've heard is that "sex" and "gender" are unrelated. Sex is defined by a person's body, while gender is defined by a person's self-identity.

I've seen terms like "cisgender" come into existence during my lifetime, whose definitions are based on the immutable dichonomy between one's sex and gender.

EDIT: I realize my point isn't clear. What I mean to say is... by using "sex assigned at birth" as a blanket substitute for "sex", even in clear cases when there is no difference between the two, we create an implication that "sex" does not actually exist. And I'm not yet crazy enough to entertain that.
Well, this may help you understand their point of view, perhaps?

Quote:
We can always agree on that.

Quote:
Reminder that Republicans, especially donnie, hate the military and veterans and have absolutely no respect for us.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...112-story.html
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...avoiding-rain/
No big surprise. :/

The Alliance's three rules on faction conflict:
1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.
3) You can't leave the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustrum View Post
Because if a storyteller is doing his job, he makes you care. And if that storyteller then says "I dunno, then they stopped fighting, I guess," without any explanation or clarification, his audience has every right to be pissed off. Because they were given reason to stay interested, reason to keep up with his tale, only to be shut down just as things were getting good. A waste of time, a waste of emotional tension, a waste, if you fail to grasp the significance of narrative, of money.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:54 AM

Echo of the Past

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenia View Post
Well, this may help you understand their point of view, perhaps?
And yes, that article confirms my concern that the narrative is using "assigned sex" and "sex" synonymously, as if a person's "sex" is actually the one that's a man-made invention.

Quote:
Sex is a label — male or female — that you’re assigned by a doctor at birth based on the genitals you’re born with and the chromosomes you have. It goes on your birth certificate.
Quote:
Assigned sex is a label that you’re given at birth based on medical factors, including your hormones, chromosomes, and genitals. Most people are assigned male or female, and this is what’s put on their birth certificates.

When someone’s sexual and reproductive anatomy doesn’t seem to fit the typical definitions of female or male, they may be described as intersex.
Quote:
Instead of saying “biological sex,” some people use the phrase “assigned male at birth” or “assigned female at birth.” This acknowledges that someone (often a doctor) is making a decision for someone else. The assignment of a biological sex may or may not align with what’s going on with a person’s body, how they feel, or how they identify.
Right. This isn't about how intersex fits on the male-female strata. This is about downplaying and ignoring one's actual sex, always and as a general practice.

I'm not going to pretend that a doctor "assigned" my "hormones, chromosomes, and genitals", as the article puts it, just in case it doesn't match "how I feel or how I identify". The doctor didn't make up my hormones, chromosomes, and genitalia. They were crafted that way through biology itself and can't be dismissed as merely "assigned", unless the assignment refers to mother nature or God.

It's a dishonest term.

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 11-14-2018 at 11:50 AM..

Tags
politics, serious business, sylvanas for president