Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Blizzard Discussion > Overwatch Discussion

Old 04-09-2016, 09:11 AM

Arch-Druid
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)

Default All the ugly Blizzard stereotypes

Lets hear it...... How do Warcraft, Starcraft and Diablo all mesh into one universe?

So far, what I've got is:
Ainu was a crystaline entity who dreamed with in a pearl right? Ainu was a World Soul, who emerged as a Titan and attempted to separate itself from the Old God Corruption, which took the form of a 7 headed Dragon. You can see where this goes from there.

Xel'Naga come from 2 species coming together. Nephalem were the first Xel'Naga.

Let the Hatred Spew
Old 04-09-2016, 05:17 PM

World Builder

Diablo, Starcraft, and World of Warcraft are popular game series in the Overwatch Universe.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 04-11-2016, 06:45 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Lyvef1re#1109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Diablo, Starcraft, and World of Warcraft are popular game series in the Overwatch Universe.
This is, oddly enough, at least semi-true.

See D.Va's awful, awful lore: http://overwatch.gamepedia.com/D.Va
She's a former starcraft pro-gamer...
Old 04-11-2016, 09:08 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sa'danak View Post
This is, oddly enough, at least semi-true.

See D.Va's awful, awful lore: http://overwatch.gamepedia.com/D.Va
She's a former starcraft pro-gamer...
Eh, I wouldn't say awful.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 04-11-2016, 09:28 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
She's an ultra-hot girl who just happens to be the greatest gamer in South Korea (stereotyping?) that goes on to become the greatest gamer in the world, somehow going through 3 entire years of intense competition without a single loss. In fact she is just so good at video games that she is a better soldier in the real world than any of her home countries trained military because "reflexes" and defeated a monster that had been essentially rampaging unabted the moment she tried her hand at it. Add to that her dialogue is entirely cringeworthy game speak like "Nerf this" or "To the ground".

I love Overwatch and I understand it's meant to be over the top but D.Va...it's just....urgh. I cannot take the cringe.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:29 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
It offends me at a deeply personal level that Blizzard should suggest Starcraft 2 will still be a thing in the year 20XX.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:40 AM

World Builder

Quote:
She's an ultra-hot girl who just happens to be the greatest gamer in South Korea (stereotyping?) that goes on to become the greatest gamer in the world, somehow going through 3 entire years of intense competition without a single loss. In fact she is just so good at video games that she is a better soldier in the real world than any of her home countries trained military because "reflexes" and defeated a monster that had been essentially rampaging unabted the moment she tried her hand at it. Add to that her dialogue is entirely cringeworthy game speak like "Nerf this" or "To the ground".

I love Overwatch and I understand it's meant to be over the top but D.Va...it's just....urgh. I cannot take the cringe.
Eh, all the characters are over the top, some resonate on people, some grate on them

My Worldbuilding:
Old 04-11-2016, 09:42 AM

Loremaster

To be fair, it says "Starcraft Player" without a "2", which could just be construed as "player of whichever StarCraft sequel exists by that point."

I'm also kinda getting the sense that the scramble for draftee pilots after losing their automated defenses is supposed to imply that Overwatch's South Korea became overly reliant on unmanned, AI-controlled drones to the point of not actually having trained military pilots to replace them.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:48 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Quote:
(stereotyping?)
They are all stereotypes to some degree, just not quite caricatures.

Japanese Samurai... American cowboy... German knight... heavy Russian... South Korean StarCraft player.

The one from Egypt is more like ancient Egypt brought into the modern day, not anything from the current Muslim culture.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.

Last edited by Revenant; 04-12-2016 at 04:37 PM..
Old 04-11-2016, 04:46 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
They used to emphasize that the protoss had perfect bodies that needed almost nothing and could survive anything short of a hail of bullets. When it finally became relevant, they went with the psionics being the main focus so that a powerful human could fit the bill.

They are all stereotypes to some degree, just not quite caricatures.

Japanese Samurai... American cowboy... German knight... heavy Russian... South Korean StarCraft player.

The one from Egypt is more like ancient Egypt brought into the modern day, not anything from the current Muslim culture.
You forgot Australian Criminals.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:29 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:

Wow. Lol'ed hard at this. I don't care about Overwatch so whatever, but Blizzard, really?
Old 04-11-2016, 09:35 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegrune View Post
Wow. Lol'ed hard at this. I don't care about Overwatch so whatever, but Blizzard, really?
They're all stereotypes, some click, some don't

My Worldbuilding:
Old 04-11-2016, 09:45 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
They're all stereotypes, some click, some don't
Well sure, but there's a different between a "Japanese Samurai," a tried-and-true veteran of media stereotypes, and a Korean Starcraft player who's so good at games that she literally nerfs the shit out of real-world enemies. I actually give them some credit for being kind of creative there with their stereotype and giving me a good laugh.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:35 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Well sure, but there's a different between a "Japanese Samurai," a tried-and-true veteran of media stereotypes, and a Korean Starcraft player who's so good at games that she literally nerfs the shit out of real-world enemies. I actually give them some credit for being kind of creative there with their stereotype and giving me a good laugh.
I dunno if Nerf fits there but yeah, i feel she's a cute, original little character even if I'd not play her personally

My Worldbuilding:
Old 04-12-2016, 06:37 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Seems more like a homage or whatever to their Korean audience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:30 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
Seems more like a homage or whatever to their Korean audience.
I guess it comes down to the individual person but are there really going to be a tonne of Koreans cheering their hero basically being a twitch cam girl? (I forgot to include that part before. She streams live Overwatch battlefield footage to her fans) Maybe its going too far too say it's offensive but it is definitely eye-rolling levels of cringeworthy.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:27 AM

Elune

Quote:
I guess it comes down to the individual person but are there really going to be a tonne of Koreans cheering their hero basically being a twitch cam girl? (I forgot to include that part before. She streams live Overwatch battlefield footage to her fans) Maybe its going too far too say it's offensive but it is definitely eye-rolling levels of cringeworthy.
yknow, considering being part of overwatch is illegal due to the lore, how the hell is D.VA getting away with streaming live footage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurzog View Post
I love you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakurako View Post
based neokitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post

Shape up, Neocat. Fuck's sake.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:07 AM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoshadow View Post
yknow, considering being part of overwatch is illegal due to the lore, how the hell is D.VA getting away with streaming live footage
She's not Overwatch; D.Va's in the Mobile Exo-Force of the Korean Army. So she's presumably engaging in sanctioned activities (though obviously the multiplayer kinda makes group affiliations irrelevant during actual gameplay.

Half or more of the playable characters aren't actually in the revived Overwatch.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:27 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
She's not Overwatch; D.Va's in the Mobile Exo-Force of the Korean Army. So she's presumably engaging in sanctioned activities (though obviously the multiplayer kinda makes group affiliations irrelevant during actual gameplay.

Half or more of the playable characters aren't actually in the revived Overwatch.
This is new to me. With how they've been pitching it I was under the impression it was just Overwatch vs bad guys.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:56 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
This is new to me. With how they've been pitching it I was under the impression it was just Overwatch vs bad guys.
I'm guessing soon after release there's gonna be some kind of storyline that features Overwatch getting officially reinstated, but with the lore as it is in beta and launch OVerwatch is no more and everyone is basically a PMC.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:59 AM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
I'm guessing soon after release there's gonna be some kind of storyline that features Overwatch getting officially reinstated, but with the lore as it is in beta and launch OVerwatch is no more and everyone is basically a PMC.
Well, not everyone. D.Va and Zarya seem to both still be official soldiers in their respective homelands' armies.
Old 11-30-2016, 02:51 PM

Elune

Quote:
There... Is actually some paper logic to this..

The argument is that the mobile exo suit things are really dependent on twitch reflexes and such.

This is why they moved to Gamers (not just D.va) because they didn't have time to train military, and more... That's actually not something that can be taught past a certain age.

It's also why she's young. Professional gaming is a young persons sport. Not because of Muh Video Games, but because their reactions are fast to the point that it literally destroys their hands, and then they add what is essentially speed into the mix.

I've read more than a few articles on it, and it sounds like a truly spectacularly shitty life for very little gain.

IT's why I'm skeptical of the overwatch league.

Tags
blizzard, fanwank