Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 07-18-2018, 09:10 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

For anyone that's done the Island Expedition content extensively, how mirrored are the teams? Do they have a certain A.I. mechanic that mirrors the same as the team on the opposite faction?

Looking at it, I would imagine the scheme works like this but someone can correct me on it if I'm not 100% right:

Briona's Buccaneers / Greenbelly Raiders: Pirate team
Auric's Angels / The Blazing Sunhawks: Spellcaster team
Light's Vengeance / Warbraves: Objective-focused team
Razak's Roughriders / Gazlowe's Greasemonkeys: Engineer team
The Wolfpack / The Headhunters: Aggressive team that hunts players
Riftrunners / The Highborne: Aggressive magic warrior team
Old 07-18-2018, 09:36 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finarfin View Post
Wait, so what's being released today (or tomorrow for the EU servers) in the pre-patch?
Just systems. The first week is for players to get used to the class changes and to find critical bugs. There's no real content this week. Expect more maintenance periods, lots of restarts and a ton of hotfixes over the next days.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Old 07-18-2018, 09:41 AM

Demon Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
Just systems. The first week is for players to get used to the class changes and to find critical bugs. There's no real content this week. Expect more maintenance periods, lots of restarts and a ton of hotfixes over the next days.
I thought that was the sort of thing you would use a PTR for?
Old 07-18-2018, 09:56 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyalin V. Raintree View Post
I thought that was the sort of thing you would use a PTR for?
PTR and Beta have a tiny fraction of the player base. You a lot of the bugs there, but there's always undetected issues. Once you deploy your patch for hundreds of servers and millions of players, you start to find thousands of issues, which need to be sorted and solved by priority.

The very existance of prepatch is to get issues ahead of the expansion release. The prepatch events are there to give people something to do while waiting and to draw new and old players.

Even with it, there's no certainty that all critical issues will have been found and solved when expansion hits. Remember MoP and WoD bottleneck quests for Alliance, for instance.

That's just how things are in software development. Or any other engineering, even. The more people are using something, the more issues will be found. Software is just more complex because there's thousands of tools encoded, and each of them may present some problems.

Last edited by Deicide; 07-18-2018 at 10:40 AM..
Old 07-18-2018, 01:20 PM

Demon Hunter

Quote:
Ah, ok. For some reason I was under the impression that the Burning of Teldrassil quests were also being unlocked today. My bad there. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:35 PM

Demon Hunter

Old 07-19-2018, 06:09 PM

Demon Hunter

Ogre

Credit where it's due: these regular live Q&As where the developers can just ramble and give insight into the things behind the scenes that are causing issues are a step in the right direction in regards to how they are approaching and responding to game play feedback.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:14 PM

Troubadour
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

The QA addressed many points I was interested in:
  • the lack of new talent rows
  • Azerite traits
  • 2h Frost DK
  • Mage Tower in BFA

I rate it 9/10
Old 07-23-2018, 10:15 AM

Troubadour

Tidesage Jaina?
Old 07-23-2018, 11:11 AM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

I'd been wondering since the alpha why Jaina's flagship used a Kul Tiran model, and had resigned myself that it was just an artistic choice to use a new art asset to stand out. Now we not only have an explanation for it, but a particularly chilling one as well.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:51 AM

Arch-Druid

I was hoping for more lore, but was grateful for what we got. It's a beautiful piece of art.

Old 07-23-2018, 12:30 PM

Faerie Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krainz View Post
Why is it Blizzard now seems determined to retcon that Daelin was 100% right in all his actions when they said he was wrong in the first place?
Old 07-23-2018, 12:49 PM

Arch-Druid

The issue is that different people (and sometimes the same people at different times) will have different opinions.
Blizzard is better off letting each character push it's interpretation instead of providing a force universal narrative.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:11 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
Why is it Blizzard now seems determined to retcon that Daelin was 100% right in all his actions when they said he was wrong in the first place?
Because he was right.
Not in principle, but in this particular instance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhardt View Post
The issue is that different people (and sometimes the same people at different times) will have different opinions.
Blizzard is better off letting each character push it's interpretation instead of providing a force universal narrative.
Yes! Leaving the facts to be interpreted is way better than preaching the absolute truth (so long as the facts aren't fabricated to be different to each witness).

Old 07-23-2018, 02:40 PM

Troubadour

The problem lies when the community still keeps looking for universal narratives. And then when stuff "contradict" itself (stuff that isn't really universal truths), they go on full rage mode.
Old 07-23-2018, 03:23 PM

Eternal

The problem lies in Blizzard's track history, which is making players assume that there's a universal narrative because that's pretty much most of what we've been given over the years. If you want to look at it differently that's your choice, doesn't make you any more clever for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
And Lordaeron

ffs I'm the only one who cares aren't I
Old 07-23-2018, 04:02 PM

Troubadour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalpimp View Post
The problem lies in Blizzard's track history, which is making players assume that there's a universal narrative because that's pretty much most of what we've been given over the years. If you want to look at it differently that's your choice, doesn't make you any more clever for it.
We've had different in-universe perspectives for quite a few years already.
Old 07-23-2018, 04:04 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

There was a comment on Blizzard Watch saying the Jaina short should have been BfA's intro cinematic instead of the Battle for Lordaeron, and I have to admit, that sounds like it would easily have been one of the greatest expansion intro cinematics. Sure, it wouldn't fit BfA as it is now (it would have to be an expansion singularly focused on Kul Tiras) but it would have been great. Jaina's raising of Daelin's ship could even be framed as a parallel to Arthas raising Sindragosa in Wrath's cinematic... That has some worrying implications now that I think about it...
Old 07-23-2018, 04:39 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Guy of Doom View Post
There was a comment on Blizzard Watch saying the Jaina short should have been BfA's intro cinematic instead of the Battle for Lordaeron, and I have to admit, that sounds like it would easily have been one of the greatest expansion intro cinematics. Sure, it wouldn't fit BfA as it is now (it would have to be an expansion singularly focused on Kul Tiras) but it would have been great. Jaina's raising of Daelin's ship could even be framed as a parallel to Arthas raising Sindragosa in Wrath's cinematic... That has some worrying implications now that I think about it...
It would be Alliance bias. And everyone would go "I knew it! Jaina is the villain!"
Without the war premise, Jaina's animated short would appear as she finally falling to darkness in the name of vengeance.

---------------------------

SPECULATION:

After seeing the Jaina short, BTW, I'm thinking Sylvanas will also explore her past, by making a paralel between Arthas rampaging throught Quel'thalas and Sylvanas doing the same in Darkshore. Sylvanas will see a reflex of herself in Delaryn Summermoon. And, like Arthas did to her, she will murder the sentinel. Then Teldrassil go up in flames and, for a brief moment, she will go "what have I become", only to steel herself and say that there's no going back.

Old 07-23-2018, 05:26 PM

Chimaera

Gotta love them pissing all over what Made Jaina so good.

Her willingness to see the greater good in things and stick by her desicion.

But no, gotta make the Usuperer Admiral look good in retrospect.

It's a great cinematic, but It's just another "Jaina can never be right." in full force.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:31 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenixhart View Post

It's a great cinematic, but It's just another "Jaina can never be right." in full force.
Sorry, but Admiral Proudmoore was right all along.
Thrall was always the exception. And he gave up.

Old 07-23-2018, 05:34 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Quote:
It would be Alliance bias. And everyone would go "I knew it! Jaina is the villain!"
Without the war premise, Jaina's animated short would appear as she finally falling to darkness in the name of vengeance.
As I said, it would have to be a fundamentally different type of expansion, probably something akin to an Alliance version of WoD with the different Kul Tiran houses as the "warlords" (which wouldn't be much of a stretch given every house except Proudmoore is evil anyway). Which I think would have been an interesting one.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:31 PM

Hippogryph Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenixhart View Post

WC3 Jaina was Anduin before there was Anduin. A traitor to her family, country, and species who alongside Coward Uther abandoned Arthas when he could have used used help so that she could follow the advice of a raving hobo. I see little here that was ruined.

And Daelin was hardly an usurper. Jaina was a citizen of Kul'tiras using Kul'tiran troops for her vacation. The Alliance was at war with Thrall's Neo-Nazis so Daelin was under no obligation to treat it as other than an enemy stronghold.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:54 PM

Loremaster

Jaina was a citizen of Dalaran, acting under Antonidas' final orders to save as many of those refugees as she could and take them somewhere safe.

Daelin showed up and said "fuck that, nobody gets to be safe, it's everyone's duty to fight and die for my revenge."

Like so many of the petty playerbase who insist that their leaders should chuck countless soldiers into the meat grinder for the sake of faction pride ('cuz who really cares about footmen or grunts? It's not like soldiers are people, right?), he didn't care about saving lives. He only cared about killing orcs, even if that meant throwing away human lives to do it.

But we're in a faction war now, which means he's suddenly 100% right because moral and intellectual degeneration has become the rule of the day, both in-game and out.

Last edited by ARM3481; 07-23-2018 at 08:50 PM..
Old 07-23-2018, 10:00 PM

Arch-Druid
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)

I don’t get it. How are people seeing this as more than a point of view piece? Honestly I get Raid Boss Jaina vibes from it. And she’d make an excellent Raid Boss at this point. Not unlike her father, Jaina comes across as psychologically damaged, and with good reason. The Horde should fear her. They created her.

Oh, and ARM, footmen and grunts are pixels, not people, and were expressly created to fight for our amusement. So, yeah, we like it when they do that. Granted, in-game characters should have fictional reasons for sending soldiers to their deaths, such as vendettas, a desire to pre-empt bloodshed, emotional scarring, etc. Stuff that makes for a good narrative. But all that is in fact fiction, fabricated to create conflict of both internal and external nature, just to keep things interesting.

Quote:
Sorry, but Admiral Proudmoore was right all along.
Thrall was always the exception. And he gave up.
Admiral Proudmoore was psychologically damaged by the death of his son, just like Jaina is damaged by the destruction of Theramore. Her scene in Before the Storm makes this quite obvious. She knows she’s not in a healthy place, and rather than get help, she’s letting it dictate her actions. And you know what? That’s great.

Oh, and calling Thrall the exception is ignoring other orcish characters.

Last edited by Menel'dirion; 07-23-2018 at 10:15 PM..

Tags
alliance whining, azeroth literally dying, battle for azeroth, for the whored, quilboar bias, world of warcraft