Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 09-16-2017, 10:16 PM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

While it's not unlikely that some of Garithos's men did join the Scarlet Crusade after their leader's death, it is unlikely that they "formed" it given that both armies/forces seem to have been contemporaries during the early days of the Scarlet Crusade.

Why they never met is a mystery.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:15 PM

Banished

Garithos and his army are ham-fisted plot devices. Not really characters.

No really they needed an excuse to make the BEs enemies of the Alliance so they had Garithos.
Old 09-17-2017, 01:46 AM

Glaive Thrower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
What was that Revenant? Why did he try to save Arthas from Frostmourne? I always wonder.
Until Blizzard actually bothers to provide a proper explanation for The Guardian, I'll headcanon that he and his revenant buddies were simply native Northrend elementals that stumbled upon Frostmourne Cavern and decided to guard it to prevent anyone from picking up the runeblade and unleashing its evil.

Or maybe Ner'zhul somehow figured out how to compel the will of elementals and planted them there as a form of reverse psychology, making Arthas even more likely and determined to pick up the sword and disregard the consequences. I think I prefer the other theory, though.

Avatar is taken from artwork by Rafael Zanchetin.
Old 09-17-2017, 02:00 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Undead Icon (War3)

Wasn't the Guardian the kind of revenant that is undead, unlike the elemental revenants found in Wrath?
Old 09-17-2017, 04:49 AM

Glaive Thrower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Wasn't the Guardian the kind of revenant that is undead, unlike the elemental revenants found in Wrath?
I don't know, to me it seems like the revenants' origins might have been retconned entirely between WC3 and WotLK. The Warcraft III manual describes them as "hateful undead creatures outside the domain of Ner'zhul's control. Bonded to base elemental spirits, these phantom creatures live only to rage and use their powers for destruction", whereas nearly all revenants in WoW seem to just be regular elementals, with no hint of undeath.

There are still some vague instances of "death revenants"; a piece of concept art by Mark Gibbons, two mobs called Deathbringer Revenants and Shadow Revenants, and a warrior minion in Hearthstone (not classified as an Elemental, interestingly enough, though that might simply be for gameplay balance reasons).

Old 09-17-2017, 11:29 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

Don't we have a Revenant showing up in the Shadowmourne questline?
Old 09-17-2017, 04:05 PM

Not Sure If Trolling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe Stormstout View Post
Until Blizzard actually bothers to provide a proper explanation for The Guardian, I'll headcanon that he and his revenant buddies were simply native Northrend elementals that stumbled upon Frostmourne Cavern and decided to guard it to prevent anyone from picking up the runeblade and unleashing its evil.

Or maybe Ner'zhul somehow figured out how to compel the will of elementals and planted them there as a form of reverse psychology, making Arthas even more likely and determined to pick up the sword and disregard the consequences. I think I prefer the other theory, though.
Golden refuse to say anything in RotK's interview. It looked like Blizzard once had some plans but didn't go on at all.

I don't understand why a Revenant, either undead or elemental would bother to protect a human from the evil sword.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:47 AM

Glaive Thrower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krainz View Post
Don't we have a Revenant showing up in the Shadowmourne questline?
There are Deathbringer Revenants strolling about Frostmourne Cavern, but as far as I can discern from Wowpedia, no revenants play any role in "Frostmourne Cavern" (last part of a long Dragonblight Alliance questline involving flashbacks to WC3 events), "The Sacred and the Corrupt" (first part of the Shadowmourne questline), nor any other parts of the Shadowmourne storyline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
I don't understand why a Revenant, either undead or elemental would bother to protect a human from the evil sword.
My reasoning is that these elementals might have been a bit more altruistic than most and realized that things could and would go very, very badly for all of Azeroth if the Lich King got his will of having a mortal start wielding Frostmourne, and given that they themselves would in this case inhabit Azeroth (rather than the Elemental Plane) they'd have an interest in not having the world turn into an undead wasteland.

Or something. I don't know.

Tags
undead, warcraft