Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Fan Works

Old 06-19-2017, 05:49 PM

Arch-Druid

Uh... I guess I'll go with classic land/fire dragons ruling over reddish Naga (not official name), while sea dragons rule over proper water Naga. Two nations, twin empires. I'll have to establish details about the each.

I know that the are about six dragons on land, and the dragon-priests choose a path, a dragon to follow.

The sea empire is in the ruins of a sunken continent. The Naga talk to each other, since each can go to the other's habitat. I need a reason as to why exactly the dragons choose to do this though.

----------

EDIT:

First, I'd like to suggest some nomenclature that we could use to distinguish dragonkind. This would be used mainly out-of-world since in-world there's a variety of languages and such.

Everything in this family would be known as dragons, coming to from the godlike dragons of old. Those that retain intelligence, magic and power are known as wyrms. Those that are still great in size, but have lost intellect and are basically smart animals, like in GoT, are the drakes. And finally, the small ones that don't breathe fire and are just animals are the wyverns.

----------

Alright, I've got an idea.

From Xaxalin east stretches more land, where dwarves be. Not far from the nymph continent, to the east, lies another fractured continent, which was once connected to Xaxalin's Dragon's Gullet.

Both on western Xaxalin and on this northern continent are humans, except those in the north live alongside more supernatural threats, which is where the werewolves are located.

Now onto my three races: (none of the species names are final)

- On the eastern sections of the land surrounding the Gullet is a rugged and rocky land, full of mountains. Here lie the Naga that are reddish in coloration, ruled by a small group of great wyrms. They have dragon-priests and their mightiest become Ascendants, growing wings and being able to breathe fire, basically a mixture of dragon and Naga at this point. These Naga can, however, still travel underwater relatively easily.

- On the seas surrounding this coast, east and northwards, lie the underwater territory of the aquatic Naga, standard blue in color. They worship sea wyrms, and are basically the opposite of their land-based kin. Nonetheless, these two are allies, as the sea dragons and land dragons are in cahoots with each other. For what purpose, I do not know.

- On the sea floor approaching the northern continent (that lies east of nymph continent), are the territories of the merfolk, which look like the attached images. Living in the sunken ruins of an ancient human civilization, this race actually comes from humanity changed, perhaps, by a god. They are divided into a number of principalities, but the center of their civilization is between the southern and northern continents, where there once was land. They do stretch to other oceans though.

- Finally, up in the northern continent, you have more human nations. While th one's on Xaxalin are perhaps more medieval and such, these are more Victorian. Here is where there is a kingdom ruled in truth by ghosts, and where vampires lie. I also suggest this to be the home of the werewolf people. Of note are the ghost ships, which interact with the merfolk.

----------

As for other beasts of the depths, I've already mentioned the sea dragons, which are intelligent and powerful and rule the aquatic Naga; there are wyverns, tamed by both kinds of Naga, and also seahorses, used by mounts by the merfolk (in development, may change racial mount). There are of course things like giant crabs and krakens, and good ole' sea dinos, and my favorite Scylla sea-hydra.

Also, underwater ents made of seaweed that roam the kelp forests.

Maybe, in some deep rift, lie Eldritch horrors untalked of.

As for the merfolk, you can see they're almost made of corals and seashells. They use little clothes and command the waves. You can see that they have somewhat different aquatic features. I think I'm gonna go with different lineages and tribes having different features.

----------

In the pictures below are represented what I imagine to be the main varieties of th merfolk. I haven't yet decided the relationship between each, but all are descended from humans when the continent sunk.

- In the first two images are the main kind of merfolk, having more of a Greco-Roman culture, constituting the central and main empire of their people. These are also the ones most likely to be seen on land, since many of their dwellings are on more shallow waters. Although they have a formidable military and do not shy away from battle, these are perhaps t ones most accustomed to trade and deal with the land-dwellers. As can be seen, their constitution is filled with seashells and corals.

- On the left, the one with tentacles is a representative of the most aggressive kind, most commonly found outside of the ruins of the sunken continent, in other oceans. They live in deep places and rarely deal with those on land.

- On the right is a kind of merfolk that has a sort of Polynesian culture. They live on a series of islands rather than below th seas, although they also have outposts underwater. On their islands, they trade with other inhabitants.

- Lastly is the deep-sea merfolk, having slimmer bodies and bioluminescent flails. These are the ones most accustomed to the true horrors of the deeps.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ethenil; 06-20-2017 at 07:36 PM..
Old 06-20-2017, 10:35 PM

World Builder

Looks good, the island dwellers remind me of the Jinyu, but I really like those bioluminescent lionfish-lookin deepsea dwellers.

As for Dominion currency, I'm looking at something inspired by the old spanish dollar coin (Pieces of Eight), a kind of slime/clay/metal mix used to make the coin able to be broken into chunks, still working on how many and what symbols would be on the coins though.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old Today, 08:47 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

I think Istos probably has some kind of low-key resentment/one-way rivalry with dragons, who also know a lot about the world and its history but are notoriously stroppy and unwilling to cooperate with outsiders. I mean, can you imagine being so insular and secretive? Stupid lizards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Topic of the week- Currency and economics!

What's used for money? What's the wealth distribution like? What are the high / low paid jobs if such concepts even apply!?
I don't think I've ever understood the weird, artificial game that is Actual economics, and I have no basis to judge what would or wouldn't make sense for the xysticids. Can I pass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethenil View Post
From Xaxalin east stretches more land, where dwarves be.
Dwarves, aye, of various stripes, but also humans and nomadic 'wild' orcs and other shit as well. Probably elves, too, particularly if Yaska drops out.

Quote:
Not far from the nymph continent, to the east, lies another fractured continent, which was once connected to Xaxalin's Dragon's Gullet.

Both on western Xaxalin and on this northern continent are humans, except those in the north live alongside more supernatural threats, which is where the werewolves are located.
I like the idea of a subcontinent north of Xaxalin which broke off or had a landbridge flooded at some point, but I'm not sure we need to relegate Transylvania to it. Xaxalin is a pretty big guy, he can take it.

Quote:
Now onto my three races: (none of the species names are final)

- On the eastern sections of the land surrounding the Gullet is a rugged and rocky land, full of mountains. Here lie the Naga that are reddish in coloration, ruled by a small group of great wyrms. They have dragon-priests and their mightiest become Ascendants, growing wings and being able to breathe fire, basically a mixture of dragon and Naga at this point. These Naga can, however, still travel underwater relatively easily.

- On the seas surrounding this coast, east and northwards, lie the underwater territory of the aquatic Naga, standard blue in color. They worship sea wyrms, and are basically the opposite of their land-based kin. Nonetheless, these two are allies, as the sea dragons and land dragons are in cahoots with each other. For what purpose, I do not know.

- On the sea floor approaching the northern continent (that lies east of nymph continent), are the territories of the merfolk, which look like the attached images. Living in the sunken ruins of an ancient human civilization, this race actually comes from humanity changed, perhaps, by a god. They are divided into a number of principalities, but the center of their civilization is between the southern and northern continents, where there once was land. They do stretch to other oceans though.

- Finally, up in the northern continent, you have more human nations. While th one's on Xaxalin are perhaps more medieval and such, these are more Victorian. Here is where there is a kingdom ruled in truth by ghosts, and where vampires lie. I also suggest this to be the home of the werewolf people. Of note are the ghost ships, which interact with the merfolk.
I'm kind of meh about the Naga, but that's probably because I'm so meh about dragons.

Merfolk sound neat. How amphibious are they? Can they survive indefinitely out of the water? I also like your later comments on the different tribes.

I really like the idea of this northern continent being ruled by Victorian ghosts. We can have some other spooks here as well, and maybe some shadowy necromancers, while leaving the possibility for proper Transylvanian shadows to lurk elsewhere in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old Today, 11:29 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
I mean, can you imagine being so insular and secretive? Stupid lizards.

I don't think I've ever understood the weird, artificial game that is Actual economics, and I have no basis to judge what would or wouldn't make sense for the xysticids. Can I pass?

particularly if Yaska drops out.

1. Hah, oh yes, how terrible to deal with cagey and secretive societies...

2. Sure, keep your incomprehensible spider economics.

3. Damn I hope he doesn't.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old Today, 03:40 PM

Arch-Druid

Race name: Merfolk; in their own language, the Quassali, Naqual, Naquassi, something like that.

Quote:
I like the idea of a subcontinent north of Xaxalin which broke off or had a landbridge flooded at some point, but I'm not sure we need to relegate Transylvania to it. Xaxalin is a pretty big guy, he can take it.
Yeah, a very important point is that it held a classical human civilization, almost their golden age, which is also something that may fit with the time Cult guys. I imagined having Transylvania up there since we already have the ghosts, and also because the wolf had a similar idea for their home.

Moreover, I wanted the climate to be fairly cold.

Quote:
I'm kind of meh about the Naga, but that's probably because I'm so meh about dragons.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I'm toying with the idea of deleting them out and having another type of merfolk live on land, be red, and worship dragons.

Quote:
Merfolk sound neat. How amphibious are they? Can they survive indefinitely out of the water? I also like your later comments on the different tribes.
Right now I'm thinking it depends on the type/lineage. The tentacly ones seem to not be able to live much on land, while island/Polynesian ones can live indefinitely wherever, as long as it's not too hot. The classical ones I'm not sure, but at least days on land, possibly indefinitely if they can drink enough water or something? What do you think?

As for the deep ocean ones, they can go on land, but probably not for much. However, since they're fairly magical, they'd be able to find a way.

If I go with having the fiery red ones with dragons, indefinitely.

Quote:
I really like the idea of this northern continent being ruled by Victorian ghosts. We can have some other spooks here as well, and maybe some shadowy necromancers, while leaving the possibility for proper Transylvanian shadows to lurk elsewhere in the world.
Seems good to me. Depends in where the werewolves end up being.

And while it's ruled by ghosts, yes, the majority of the population are humans (or at least mortals, possibly elves and dwarves and stuff) but yeah, ruled by ghosts.

Last edited by Ethenil; Today at 03:47 PM..

Tags
collaboration, creative, worldbuilding