Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 03-15-2016, 12:18 PM

Loremaster

The skull itself isn't necessarily demonic just because of its name; "man'ari" was a preexisting eredun word with connotations of something being twisted or unnatural even before Velen applied it to the demonically corrupted eredar.
Old 03-15-2016, 12:35 PM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
The skull itself isn't necessarily demonic just because of its name; "man'ari" was a preexisting eredun word with connotations of something being twisted or unnatural even before Velen applied it to the demonically corrupted eredar.
True, but look into Blizzard's heart and tell me, what is the more likely meaning?
Old 03-15-2016, 01:33 PM

Eternal

That which is horribly wrong is the literal meaning of man'ari. I guess it might explain how one of the versions is an annihilian skull..?
Old 03-15-2016, 02:11 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratatosk View Post
You know to this day I still have no idea what the average High/Blood Elf lifespan is. All I know was Anasterian was crazy old in WC2-3.
Info like this has been actively suppressed since the RPG books were decanonized.

Lore Observation, Systems Design, and other science dropped at Power Word: Remix

Expect nothing and anything will surprise you.
Old 03-15-2016, 05:44 PM

Eternal

So I was wondering about all these metals and ores that exist in Warcraft and thought it could be interesting to list them and classify them, taking into account strength and magical properties, and where they might be found in the world. Of course, I don't think we should only look at where they can be found in-game since they scale as the zone level rises.

Of course, I'll ignore the "normal" metals and go straight to the interesting ones. After listing them I'll try to make a hierarchy.

Azeroth:

First, we have Mithril. Mithril exists in various fantasy environments as one of the strongest - or the strongest - metal that there is. Since it's strongly associated with dwarves, it would be logical to say this mineral can be found in the Khaz and Redridge Mountains, perhaps even in Northeron. To try and integrate gameplay, we can also place it in the northern Aerie Peaks, bordering the Plaguelands, and in the mountains of Tanaris.

Next we have Truesilver. It is a creation of Blizzard (as far as the name goes, anyway), and I couldn't find any other references to it. It's supposed to be light and strong.

Although Thorium exists in the real world, in Warcraft it is vastly different. It is said to be very heavy and strong., even classified as the strongest metal after adamant. Since there's such a thing as Enchanted Thorium Bar and many magical items created with it, and in the real world it's mostly used for its radioactive properties, we could imagine this mineral to be used mainly for enchantments and runes, or in the case of strong orcs for weapons. I would say it can be found around the Black Morass area and of course in the Searing Gorge (Thorium Brotherhood). It's name comes from Thorim.

I would say Dark Iron was created as Ragnaros was summoned to Blackrock Mountain, forever changing its geology. Either that, or it is a metal native to the Firelands. Either way, It can only be found in the areas around Blackrock Mountain. Also, it is extremely resilient, but immune to magical enchantments. Any such magical enhancement must be placed as the weapon is being forged, never later.

Cobalt in Warcraft is vastly different than in the real world. Although both are blue, Azeroth's glows blue. The idea I had, considering where it's found, is that it's a side effect of the converging ley-lines of the Nexus. This would give this metal extreme magical properties. Since it's created by the power of leylines, it should also be found around places such as Karazhan and Silvermoon. (Or Karabor and Zanagarra in Draenor).

Little needs to be said about Saronite. It is strong. Yet it is corruptive. It is found all over Northrend. I would say it is truly one of the hardest metals is Azeroth, the blood of an Old God.

Once again, Titanium also exists in the real world. But in Warcraft, it's more interesting to think of it as Titansteel, or the metal that the titans used to create their first constructs. I would imagine this is also one of the strongest metals, and can be found around Titanic bases, such as Ulduar, Uldaman and Uldum.

Obsidium is similar to the real world Obsidian. I would guess it makes for extremely sharp objects and is native to Deepholm. Thus, it can be found in places where earth elementals have come to Azeroth.

I would say Elementium is the number one mineral in Warcraft (that we know of). Formed in the Elemental Plane itself, it can only be found in Azeroth where there is a high concentration of Elemental forced. Thus, come the Cataclysm, it has become much more common. Deathwing's plates were made by this metal. It has awesome magical, elemental and physical properties.

I would say Warcraft's Pyrite differs to the real world in its magical properties. It gloowss in different colors!

I'm unsure as to Ghost Iron's properties or origins. It can only be found in Pandaria, and may be the Sha's effect on normal iron ores.

I imagine Kyparite to have healing and strengthening properties, but not much value in the making of weapons. However, it can be used on buildings.

Trillium is as mysterious as Ghost Iron, and we would have to ask a Pandaren to learn of its properties. There are black and white variants. I would guess the properties are mostly magical.

Silithyst is very strange. I think it's very weak in strength but has interesting properties.

Draenor/Outland:

Adamantite is only found in Draenor/Outland and is in fantasy considered extremely resistant, sometimes even more so than Mithril. However, it must exist in some form in Azeroth else Llane's father wouldn't have gotten the title "adamant". I am unsure as how to proceed.

Blackrock is a mineral that is created by Draenor's Elemental furies, not unlike Dark Iron. It has strong elemental and shamanistic properties.

True Iron is a form of iron found in Draenor. I imagine it is very strong, second only to Adamantite (in Draenor anyway). After the world's corruption by demonic forces, it slowly became Fel Iron, that can now be found in Outland. Apart from its resistance, this new variant also has fel magical properties.

Due to its purple coloration and lack of imagination, I'm going with Khorium having been created after Draenor became Outland, infusing its minerals with nether energies. Thus, it has extremely strong magical properties.

Okay, now that that is done, we can try to classify these minerals.

Strong and resistant metals, generally from best to less-best :p

Elementium;
Saronite;
Titanium;
Adamantite;
Mithril;
Thorium;
True Iron/ Fel Iron;
Truesilver;
Dark Iron;

Minerals with magical properties, no rank since the properties differ:
Khorium;
Cobalt;
Fel Iron;
Thorium;
Blackrock;
Obsidium;
Ghost Iron;
Pyrite;
Kypirite;

Unknown:
Black and White Trillium;
Silithyst;

Notes: Just like Saronite is the blood of Yogg-Saron, Silithyst may be the blood of C'thun and Kyparite the blood of Y'Shaarj. Interesting to consider.

What do you think of all these musings? It is a random Lore thread after all!
Old 03-15-2016, 05:50 PM

Kyparite isn't a mineral, afaik. It's just kypari tree amber.
Old 03-15-2016, 06:08 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Kyparite isn't a mineral, afaik. It's just kypari tree amber.
Eh, it can be mined.

Still, I kept it due to its possible link to Y'Shaarj.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:04 PM

If Zandalar was the home of many Wild Gods, does that mean that it might house another area where the world soul's blood gathered? Also, what happened to Un'goro's Wild Gods?
Old 03-16-2016, 12:31 PM

Eternal

They didn't assign any particular Wild Gods to any particular region, so I think they just came from the three "petri dishes" in general.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:40 PM

Quote:
They didn't assign any particular Wild Gods to any particular region, so I think they just came from the three "petri dishes" in general.
Yeah, but most of them seem to have stayed close to their spawning grounds. I wonder if the ones from the troll cities all came from Zandalar.
Old 03-16-2016, 04:33 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
True, but look into Blizzard's heart and tell me, what is the more likely meaning?
I looked into Blizzard's heart and saw only retcons.

But seriously, I know you're basically saying Blizzard is dumb, but you're still giving them too much credit. I think it's called "Skull of the Man'ari" pretty much just because the artifact in its current form is kind of demonic.
Old 03-16-2016, 04:40 PM

Elune
BattleTag: CEMOTucu#2138

Quote:
You know to this day I still have no idea what the average High/Blood Elf lifespan is. All I know was Anasterian was crazy old in WC2-3.
As per Warcraft Encyclopedia, all elves without the Aspects blessing have an average life span of several thousand years. Anasterian died with 3000 years and was considered really friking old.

Loremaster on
MundoWarcraft

(Spanish Warcraft Lore Community and Roleplay)
Old 03-17-2016, 05:57 AM

Night Elf Icon (War3) Malfurion was right!

The human affinity for magic - part of their order heritage?

Edit:
If the ED really is Azeroth's dream, the druids spending so much time sleeping has become a necessity, and you can't berate Malfurion for it. If a titan's corruption is measured based on the dreams it has, preserving the ED is a task of utmost importance! You can't expect those easily corrupted dragons and Wild Gods to preserve it, after all.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:27 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethenil View Post
However, it must exist in some form in Azeroth else Llane's father wouldn't have gotten the title "adamant". I am unsure as how to proceed.
Adamant is a real word that "adamantite" is named after, not the other way around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethenil View Post
Notes: Just like Saronite is the blood of Yogg-Saron, Silithyst may be the blood of C'thun and Kyparite the blood of Y'Shaarj. Interesting to consider.

What do you think of all these musings? It is a random Lore thread after all!
On that note, there's a similar material present in a Stranglethorn quest chain.
Old 03-17-2016, 12:11 PM

Eternal

I figure since STV used to be N'Zoth's territory, the weird thing in that quest was probably his blood.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:05 AM

Night Elf Icon (War3) Ferlion was wrong?

If we consider Lunara canon, wouldn't that mean that Cenarius considers Elune his mother, meaning that the night elves are right about some things?
Old 03-18-2016, 07:13 AM

Elune

Quote:
If we consider Lunara canon, wouldn't that mean that Cenarius considers Elune his mother, meaning that the night elves are right about some things?
Could you elaborate more? What does Lunara bring to the table?

Loremaster on
MundoWarcraft

Old 03-18-2016, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cemotucu View Post
Could you elaborate more? What does Lunara bring to the table?
She was named in honour of her grandmother, Elune. So, regardless of whether he's related to her biologically or not, Cenarius considers Elune his mother, and it's not just and assumption of the night elves.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:21 AM

Elune

Quote:
She was named in honour of her grandmother, Elune. So, regardless of whether he's related to her biologically or not, Cenarius considers Elune his mother, and it's not just and assumption of the night elves.
Is that a one of her voice clips?

Loremaster on
MundoWarcraft

Old 03-18-2016, 07:23 AM

Eternal

Quote:
In before Eonar = Elune. I mean, there is no Pillar of Eonar, right?
Old 03-18-2016, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cemotucu View Post
Is that a one of her voice clips?
I think so, yeah.

@Marthen:
Yup, Eonar doesn't get one.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:56 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: DeadHank#1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
I thought about that the first time we discussed about "who the fuck is Elune and why dat gurl got a pillar".

Imo Elune could definitely be Eonar, but we'd need some good explanation on the relation between her and the Moon. Plus, resto druids are so related to Eonar they could definitely be the same god.

Anyway, between the Elune theories, her being Eonar is my favorite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Nazgrim
Ah... you have learned much... and learned well... an honorable battle.
In the end, I stood by the warchief, because it was my duty, and I am glad that it was you who struck me down.
May your strength... lead the horde... into a new era of prosperity...
Old 03-18-2016, 11:55 AM

Eternal

In that theory, how do you suppose Eonar escaped Sargeras' onslaught? Does she hide on the moon or something?

About the WCIII opening: "We never payed any heed to the ancient prophecies", what prophecies are these? Do we know of any prophecy predicting the Third War?
Old 03-19-2016, 07:41 AM

The Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
Perhaps Aman's souls was not the only one that managed to escape Sargeras.
Old 03-19-2016, 08:08 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir the Wizard View Post
Perhaps Aman's souls was not the only one that managed to escape Sargeras.
They all escaped and then crashed into the Keepers, trying to possess them. Aman'Thul's the only one the book says Ra saved, though.

Tags
go'el's gaol, high elf menopause, lore, lorebat, random, tubers, warcraft, world of warcraft