Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > Halls of Lordaeron

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #7776  
Old 02-18-2017, 08:31 AM
Mutterscrawl Mutterscrawl is offline

World Builder
Mutterscrawl's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 32,118

Default

I'll never understand the complaints about Millenials being lazy or oversensitive, none of them are born out by actual facts and statistics.
__________________
Brought to you by Sanguine Enterprises.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Reply With Quote
  #7777  
Old 02-18-2017, 08:51 AM
Aneurysm Aneurysm is offline

Problemsolver
Aneurysm's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Here, there, and everywhere.
Posts: 9,256

Default

Every generation in modern times have had their own brand of sub-cultures diverging from the norm, and more often than not these sub-cultures have been seen as a literal sign of the imminent death of the larger culture their part of. I think with the millenial generation social media and the internets have just broadened the chances of exposition for the special snowflakes, and much like the news media, exaggerating reality.
Reply With Quote
  #7778  
Old 02-18-2017, 09:36 AM
Insipid_Lobster Insipid_Lobster is offline

Eternal
Insipid_Lobster's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Yolkshur
Posts: 3,738
BattleTag: InsipidLobst#2126

Default

I don't know whether I count as a millennial, maybe. Just.

Either way, with the housing shortage, creeping rise of 0 hour contracts, a massive national debt to inherit, etc, etc. It's really easy to see why Millennials (does this include me?) are so pissed off.

Edit: I do count as one.
__________________
“Children are dying." Lull nodded. "That's a succinct summary of humankind, I'd say. Who needs tomes and volumes of history? Children are dying. The injustices of the world hide in those three words.”
Reply With Quote
  #7779  
Old 02-18-2017, 09:38 AM
Reinhardt Reinhardt is offline

Arch-Druid
Reinhardt's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,017

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnahar View Post
I'll do it. Fuckin' useless millennials, makes me afraid for my country that these gender.... fluid little bitches will be the ones fighting in the next World War. Hope you can keep your shit together Europe, at this rate we won't actually have any men left to send over there to help bail you out next time.
Is military readiness bad at the moment ?
A majority of enlisted men should be millennials by now.

If memory serves the lowest point for the Army was after the Vietnam war with significant breakdown of discipline and rampant substance abuse.
Reply With Quote
  #7780  
Old 02-18-2017, 10:10 AM
Mutterscrawl Mutterscrawl is offline

World Builder
Mutterscrawl's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 32,118

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insipid_Lobster View Post
I don't know whether I count as a millennial, maybe. Just.

Either way, with the housing shortage, creeping rise of 0 hour contracts, a massive national debt to inherit, etc, etc. It's really easy to see why Millennials (does this include me?) are so pissed off.

Edit: I do count as one.
Yeah, I gotta agree with the sentiments here, the millennial hate just seems to be traditional "The youth are wrong!" nostalgia at work.
__________________
Brought to you by Sanguine Enterprises.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Reply With Quote
  #7781  
Old 02-18-2017, 10:22 AM
Saranus Saranus is offline

Elune
Saranus's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hogwarts
Posts: 5,576
BattleTag: DrRobert#1475

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhardt View Post
Is military readiness bad at the moment ?
A majority of enlisted men should be millennials by now.

If memory serves the lowest point for the Army was after the Vietnam war with significant breakdown of discipline and rampant substance abuse.
Yeah but his post wasn't based on facts. Just he-man internet posturing.
__________________
Now imagine a music, dear readers, heavy with cellos at a rapid staccato. Cellos held between thighs in a dark room. The little room of Harry's chest as he walks with his teammates to the opening gate of his first Test of Cribbage. They are a rag-tag group of champions, this bunch, and with Harry, the near-perfect new god, they know they will dominate the day. Harry is a world laced with rivers of wizardly blood. He is ready.
Reply With Quote
  #7782  
Old 02-18-2017, 10:23 AM
Insipid_Lobster Insipid_Lobster is offline

Eternal
Insipid_Lobster's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Yolkshur
Posts: 3,738
BattleTag: InsipidLobst#2126

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Yeah, I gotta agree with the sentiments here, the millennial hate just seems to be traditional "The youth are wrong!" nostalgia at work.
There's graffiti in Pompei about how shit the "new" generation is, tbh. And no doubt the next will get the same treatment.
__________________
“Children are dying." Lull nodded. "That's a succinct summary of humankind, I'd say. Who needs tomes and volumes of history? Children are dying. The injustices of the world hide in those three words.”
Reply With Quote
  #7783  
Old 02-18-2017, 10:25 AM
Saranus Saranus is offline

Elune
Saranus's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hogwarts
Posts: 5,576
BattleTag: DrRobert#1475

Default

People always shit on the next generation so they don't have to feel as bad about taking everything from them before dying. Old men want to build golden tombs and seal us inside with them.
__________________
Now imagine a music, dear readers, heavy with cellos at a rapid staccato. Cellos held between thighs in a dark room. The little room of Harry's chest as he walks with his teammates to the opening gate of his first Test of Cribbage. They are a rag-tag group of champions, this bunch, and with Harry, the near-perfect new god, they know they will dominate the day. Harry is a world laced with rivers of wizardly blood. He is ready.
Reply With Quote
  #7784  
Old 02-18-2017, 10:37 AM
SmokeBlader SmokeBlader is offline

Elune
SmokeBlader's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 30,978

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insipid_Lobster View Post
There's graffiti in Pompei about how shit the "new" generation is, tbh. And no doubt the next will get the same treatment.
#NotAllGermans Titus! They just want to be part of our superior governance. Fast forward to 476.

mfw
Reply With Quote
  #7785  
Old 02-18-2017, 04:20 PM
Yaskaleh Yaskaleh is offline

Eternal Watcher
Yaskaleh's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The heart of Scania
Posts: 18,625
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

Default

If you got the time, listen to the most epic youtuber livestream of all times. so many big ones partaking in support of PewDiePie:


Boogie, Jon Tron, Sargon of Akkad, Philip DeFranco, Kraut and Tea and others.
__________________

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Reply With Quote
  #7786  
Old 02-18-2017, 04:35 PM
PajamaSalad PajamaSalad is offline

Elune
PajamaSalad's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Undisclosed location in the Universe.
Posts: 42,139

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhardt View Post
Is military readiness bad at the moment ?
A majority of enlisted men should be millennials by now.

If memory serves the lowest point for the Army was after the Vietnam war with significant breakdown of discipline and rampant substance abuse.
It is bad because of the sequestration. A lot of undermanning, training, and equipment shortfalls.
Reply With Quote
  #7787  
Old 02-18-2017, 05:11 PM
Mutterscrawl Mutterscrawl is offline

World Builder
Mutterscrawl's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 32,118

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insipid_Lobster View Post
There's graffiti in Pompei about how shit the "new" generation is, tbh. And no doubt the next will get the same treatment.
Yep, human beings have been human beings for as long as they've been human beings.
__________________
Brought to you by Sanguine Enterprises.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Reply With Quote
  #7788  
Old 02-18-2017, 05:20 PM
Reinhardt Reinhardt is offline

Arch-Druid
Reinhardt's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,017

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insipid_Lobster View Post
There's graffiti in Pompei about how shit the "new" generation is, tbh. And no doubt the next will get the same treatment.
And did Pompeii prospered under the rule of this new generation ?
Reply With Quote
  #7789  
Old 02-18-2017, 06:02 PM
PajamaSalad PajamaSalad is offline

Elune
PajamaSalad's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Undisclosed location in the Universe.
Posts: 42,139

Default

There are bad statistics about millennials though. They have a lot of debt and were slow to move out of their parents homes. Not as many of them had held real jobs as the prior generations.

There is no reason to hate the older generations. They passed a pretty good world onto us. There is no more cold war or fascist parties like Nazism because of them. They designed a government and built all this infrastructure that we use today. We are spoiled rotten and are growing up in the most prosperous and safest time in human history. Lets not just throw it all away for the instant gratification of the moment.
Reply With Quote
  #7790  
Old 02-18-2017, 06:42 PM
Ragnahar Ragnahar is offline

Poor Soldier
Ragnahar's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 12,430
BattleTag: Mathias#1221

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post
That's the perfect tool against these fake gender douche bags. When Klinger pretended to be a chick, it was because he was trying to get a Section 8 outta the army. Trying to show everyone he was actually insane. Eventually, he manned up, took over Radars job, and stayed in the military while everyone else got out.
Reply With Quote
  #7791  
Old 02-18-2017, 07:43 PM
Saranus Saranus is offline

Elune
Saranus's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hogwarts
Posts: 5,576
BattleTag: DrRobert#1475

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
There are bad statistics about millennials though. They have a lot of debt and were slow to move out of their parents homes. Not as many of them had held real jobs as the prior generations.
You should understand that the reason millennials have a lot of debt is because they were graduating college with student loan debt right when the housing market crashed and it was the worst economic crisis in 70 years back in 2009. It was the worst - by far - since 1929. Millennials spent $30,000 on a bachelor degree instead of $2400 like that Baby Boomer did in a time where wages have not kept up with inflation. All these people were getting out of college and there were no jobs, no money, no homes. The boomers brought it on (what generation do you think those CEOs belong to?) by worshiping private profits at the expense of prudence, and pulled the rug out from under the people graduating into the great recession. Millennials had to find opportunity in this new world order, and started carving out new industries. But now we have a fuckton of old people voting for Donald Trump and the jobs millennials were inventing for themselves are being cast aside so we can put dying industries on life support so these olds can limp into retirement after their 401ks died in 2008.
__________________
Now imagine a music, dear readers, heavy with cellos at a rapid staccato. Cellos held between thighs in a dark room. The little room of Harry's chest as he walks with his teammates to the opening gate of his first Test of Cribbage. They are a rag-tag group of champions, this bunch, and with Harry, the near-perfect new god, they know they will dominate the day. Harry is a world laced with rivers of wizardly blood. He is ready.

Last edited by Saranus; 02-18-2017 at 07:46 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #7792  
Old 02-18-2017, 07:53 PM
Lord Grimtale Lord Grimtale is offline

Elune
Lord Grimtale's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The Slaughtered Lamb
Posts: 21,951
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaskaleh View Post
If you got the time, listen to the most epic youtuber livestream of all times. so many big ones partaking in support of PewDiePie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1p0apfSCIU

Boogie, Jon Tron, Sargon of Akkad, Philip DeFranco, Kraut and Tea and others.
Another good video.

Reply With Quote
  #7793  
Old 02-18-2017, 08:23 PM
PajamaSalad PajamaSalad is offline

Elune
PajamaSalad's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Undisclosed location in the Universe.
Posts: 42,139

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saranus View Post
You should understand that the reason millennials have a lot of debt is because they were graduating college with student loan debt right when the housing market crashed and it was the worst economic crisis in 70 years back in 2009. It was the worst - by far - since 1929. Millennials spent $30,000 on a bachelor degree instead of $2400 like that Baby Boomer did in a time where wages have not kept up with inflation. All these people were getting out of college and there were no jobs, no money, no homes. The boomers brought it on (what generation do you think those CEOs belong to?) by worshiping private profits at the expense of prudence, and pulled the rug out from under the people graduating into the great recession. Millennials had to find opportunity in this new world order, and started carving out new industries. But now we have a fuckton of old people voting for Donald Trump and the jobs millennials were inventing for themselves are being cast aside so we can put dying industries on life support so these olds can limp into retirement after their 401ks died in 2008.
I don't believe it was a particularly bad recession. The economy is cyclic and we have had some pretty bad economic times between 1929 and 2009 that weren't those two. The response was a bit different and the recovery was the worst it was since 1929 maybe. We aren't the only generation that had to hit adulthood on the onset of an economic downturn. It isn't particularly the millennials fault but upon graduating from high school I could definitely see taking out a loan to go to college was a big risk and that you had to be selective about getting your degree. Even back in 2009 I could see people going back and forth towards a degree and people with degrees who ended up with jobs at Walmart. People that went to college and would not only graduate but with a degree that landed them gainful employment was rare. Getting a degree was what was instilled in us but it required a little bit more thought that most people put towards it. The degree mattered and there was other better options especially for people who can't navigate through the bureaucracy and random bullshit that comes with higher education. I definitely don't look down upon non-degree holders.

It isn't just old people who voted for Trump and Trump is just a lucky guy who rode in on a wave of discontent. Manufacturing is a secondary industry that brings other tertiary jobs to the area. Detroit used to be the richest city in the world and the reason the Midwest isn't like Wyoming or North Dakota is because of manufacturing. The coastal states have the ocean to help spur their economies but the Midwest had manufacturing because of their proximity to the natural resources and the market to sell goods to. There was a time that cutting down those costs on logistics actually mattered so location was important. It didn't have to become noncompetitive because we still have the superior engineering and proximity to the largest market. It was due to regulatory incompetence and maleficence that went way beyond protecting the common good. Not only would this offer a lot of good jobs to millennials but it would spur other economic growth in the region. Our forefathers handed us a pretty good deal and we shouldn't be so ungrateful.
Reply With Quote
  #7794  
Old 02-18-2017, 08:37 PM
Leviathon Leviathon is offline

Elune
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 21,434
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Default

SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Reply With Quote
  #7795  
Old 02-18-2017, 08:42 PM
PajamaSalad PajamaSalad is offline

Elune
PajamaSalad's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Undisclosed location in the Universe.
Posts: 42,139

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
And 20 something only posting to complain about other people talking because it triggers them.
Reply With Quote
  #7796  
Old 02-18-2017, 08:47 PM
Mutterscrawl Mutterscrawl is offline

World Builder
Mutterscrawl's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 32,118

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
Another good video.
Having some trouble understanding the bit with "Felix" there, i agree with Mark in general, but whats happened to the other guy that's more than just natural backlash?

He's not being judged because he's white or a conservative or anything, but because he made some really fucked up and hurtful jokes

It feels like these people coming out of the woodwork now to defend him want there to be no reaction to that, like no one's allowed to disapprove or think that was messed up
__________________
Brought to you by Sanguine Enterprises.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Reply With Quote
  #7797  
Old 02-18-2017, 09:36 PM
Mertico Mertico is offline

Elune
Mertico's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 7,261

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saranus View Post
in a time where wages have not kept up with inflation.
Odd compliant for someone who supports illegal immigration.
Reply With Quote
  #7798  
Old 02-18-2017, 09:59 PM
Lord Grimtale Lord Grimtale is offline

Elune
Lord Grimtale's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The Slaughtered Lamb
Posts: 21,951
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Having some trouble understanding the bit with "Felix" there, i agree with Mark in general, but whats happened to the other guy that's more than just natural backlash?

He's not being judged because he's white or a conservative or anything, but because he made some really fucked up and hurtful jokes

It feels like these people coming out of the woodwork now to defend him want there to be no reaction to that, like no one's allowed to disapprove or think that was messed up
Because the media are doing more than just saying the jokes are fucked up, they're trying to paint him as something he's not.
Reply With Quote
  #7799  
Old 02-18-2017, 10:14 PM
PajamaSalad PajamaSalad is offline

Elune
PajamaSalad's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Undisclosed location in the Universe.
Posts: 42,139

Default

Is the mob torch and pitchfork hurting or helping the cause of people who don't like these speakers?
Reply With Quote
  #7800  
Old 02-18-2017, 10:50 PM
Lord Grimtale Lord Grimtale is offline

Elune
Lord Grimtale's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The Slaughtered Lamb
Posts: 21,951
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
Is the mob torch and pitchfork hurting or helping the cause of people who don't like these speakers?
From what I heard it seems like the mob sides with Pewdiepie since he has a larger fanbase than the media does and people are tired of the media constantly lying to the populace.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
realspace, serious business

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.