Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > General WarCraft Discussion

Old 05-26-2016, 01:15 AM

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

I think it was tactically stupid to make America wait for everyone else to see it first.

I was a little excited to see the film. Now I have to spend a few weeks listening to everyone bitch about and spoil it.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:19 AM

Keeper of the Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post
I think it was tactically stupid to make America wait for everyone else to see it first.

I was a little excited to see the film. Now I have to spend a few weeks listening to everyone bitch about and spoil it.
I agree with this for sure. Was there ever a reason given? Because having another country shit on it a week before release is enough to turn a lot of people off.
Old 05-26-2016, 03:40 AM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
So, you would say rating it 3/10 is well deserved? Is it really worse than Huntsman or Batman versus Superman? (talking from a movie crafting standpoint).
I asked my girlfriend what she thought about the film, since she came along despite not knowing really anything about Warcraft. She said, in her sincerest admiration, that it was not the worst movie she saw this year, as that honor belonged to the Fantastic Four movie. But once you look past the fanboy love of the game and such, that's probably the best assessment of the film. It's not so much that the film is good or entertaining but that worse movies exist. I would probably rate it 4/10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AckAck View Post
I wouldn't trust most people on this forums opinion about anything Warcraft related, considering how bitter everyone is towards blizzard at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenyaArikado View Post
Genesis is idiotic enough to argue with Fojar in serious mode and throw a bitchfit because his headcanon wasnt canon so i would take anything he says with a grain of salt
"Is idiotic enough"? Can you name or recall the last time I argued with Fojar? Also, it's a headcanon that has seen been confirmed as canon as of Chronicle. Stop living in the distant past, Genya.
Old 05-26-2016, 03:48 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
I asked my girlfriend what she thought about the film, since she came along despite not knowing really anything about Warcraft. She said, in her sincerest admiration, that it was not the worst movie she saw this year, as that honor belonged to the Fantastic Four movie. But once you look past the fanboy love of the game and such, that's probably the best assessment of the film. It's not so much that the film is good or entertaining but that worse movies exist. I would probably rate it 4/10.
Hmm, that is worrying. I was not hoping for a masterpiece or something particularly great, an entertaining, yet otherwise mediocre summer flick would have been absolutely fine, but if it is not even entertaining, then bollocks.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:37 AM

Banished

Movie finally released in my country... and it's pretty bad. Tides of War: cinematic version.
Bad plot. Bad dialogues. Boring action.
Khadgar and Gul'Dan are really good.
I'm a little disappointed.

Last edited by Kisaragi; 05-26-2016 at 04:43 AM..
Old 05-26-2016, 05:03 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

/r/wow is basically like mmo-cunts on this movie.

"OMG X REVIEWER SAID THE MOVIE SUCKED THIS GUY IS FUCKTARDED WTF OMG NO THIS MOVIE CANT BE THAT BAD IT MUST BE GREAT HOW DARE A FUCKING SHITTY REVIEWER YEAH I DUG UP SOME DIRT ON THIS REVIEWER HE GAVE BVS 5/5 xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD"
Old 05-26-2016, 05:06 AM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Hmm, that is worrying. I was not hoping for a masterpiece or something particularly great, an entertaining, yet otherwise mediocre summer flick would have been absolutely fine, but if it is not even entertaining, then bollocks.
Yeah, the plot and pacing are kinda all over the place, often jumping locations or showing characters for no apparent reason. It really only needed a few lines of clearer exposition here or there to explain things better.

There's not really any character establishment and character growth is so wishy-washy. When they add a few things for character "depth" they never explore it or give it any weight, so it both a) drags the movie down with a shallow subplot, and b) wastes time that could be spent with more action or legitimate exposition. I have a number of new developments introduced in the movie here in mind:
Llane Wrynn's wife (Varian's mother) is Anduin Lothar's sister, and Anduin Lothar has a son.
It's just so hard for me to care about any of the characters in this movie apart from a few.

Also, there are not really that many actual battles involving armies. Just a fight here or there with a handful of troops, so you don't so much see battles of the First War as you do tiny CGI blurs sacking villages and people talking about a war you never see is.

Overall, I would say that if there is anything that this movie will spur on this forum, it will be "how I would have done the Warcraft movie" threads.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:28 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Yeah, the plot and pacing are kinda all over the place, often jumping locations or showing characters for no apparent reason. It really only needed a few lines of clearer exposition here or there to explain things better.
That sounds so unlike D. Jones. Is it possible this could be a Blade Runner 2.0, ie a terrible studio cut ruining an otherwise fine movie, or do you think the movie is bad at its very core? Just wondering, even a good director can have his blunders, of course. Especially when he thinks with his hearth and not his head, as is probably the case here.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:52 AM

Elune

Quote:
"how I would have done the Warcraft movie" threads.
Fuggggg. Really not looking forward to these. I can already imagine which posters will make them, too. Ugh.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:26 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: CJFurious#1908

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostwolf View Post
Fuggggg. Really not looking forward to these. I can already imagine which posters will make them, too. Ugh.
A lot of people will probably bitch about it being set in first war.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:36 AM

Arch-Druid

I'm finally home after watching the movie... and I liked it. Obviously, I have a biased opinion, but why I shouldn't have one? And as someone who invested so much time in this fantasy universe, I can afford this to myself. Actually, everyone from the community can do the same.

So, yes, the movie has its faults. There is a lot of exposion talk, only one big battle, not enough character development for some heroes. I'm too tired to turn this into review right now, but you know what I'm talking about.

But it's still pretty cool. And I doubt that a dedicated fan will dislike it. Well, if only they hadn't decided that the movie is bad before even watching it. I think that it's not nearly as bad as crytics portray it. And I really enjoyed the movie. But as I said, my opinion is biased, so maybe I'll try to explain myself in a wall of text later.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:51 AM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
That sounds so unlike D. Jones. Is it possible this could be a Blade Runner 2.0, ie a terrible studio cut ruining an otherwise fine movie, or do you think the movie is bad at its very core? Just wondering, even a good director can have his blunders, of course. Especially when he thinks with his hearth and not his head, as is probably the case here.
IMHO, the film lacks cogency and focus. While I can understand why Warcraft fans may find it briefly enjoyable, it's basically this decade's Street Fighter or Mortal Combat movie.

The movie does not feel epic so much as a series of anti-climactic events. My non-Warcraft friends were incredibly confused when the movie suddenly ended where it did, and they were even more confused and disappointed with the movie's ending when I later told them how the First War actually ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostwolf View Post
Admittedly, I see myself being one of them.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:39 AM

Keeper of the Grove

I just returned from the movie over an hour again and I really liked it, though I am not a reliable reviewer.

I think it has some issues, but ultimately there will be issues in everything. I can agree with some of the criticism. I still think the main criticism is gonna come from those who aren't fans of fantasy or Warcraft, as I am unsure if it will really hook them.

"...For my holy wrath will know no bounds..."

Old 05-26-2016, 08:56 AM

Ranger

Has anyone read the novelization? I've heard quite a bit of character developments, scenes and dialogue were in the novelization but absent from the film.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:19 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spriggs View Post
Has anyone read the novelization? I've heard quite a bit of character developments, scenes and dialogue were in the novelization but absent from the film.
I bought this book a few a days ago, but didn't read it yet. I wanted to avoid spoilers. As far as I can tell from the first chapter, Medivh isn't "the Last Guardian" here. While it's obvious from the movie itself, since Medivh calls Khadgar the next Guardian. But in the book we learn a bit more about his childhood. It's a story that is different from the canon one. Medivh was seemingly guardianezed (remember, I only jumped around the first few pages, so maybe I did here a mistake or two) by Kirin Tor, and they were the ones to send him to Karazhan, since this Karazhan is residence of the Guardian.

Lore of the Guardian seems to be really different here. This weird cube is seemingly the source of this power, but it's hard to say, since nothing about it was really explained - not the best part of the movie, it's a sequel material. Well, Alodi here isn't a smexy half-elf dude, but an old human woman, derp. During her conversation with Khadgar her eyes slowly turned Fel-green, so it's possible that this demon presence in Medivh is something that all Guardians before him had inside too. Maybe the cube and the Guardian power were crated to subdue this demonic presence, whis may be the soul of Sargeras. Or maybe it's just some strong Fel juice. Why Alodi was there? Maybe she has hidden herself to watch over the next Guardians (if she was one).
Old 05-26-2016, 10:25 AM

Arch-Druid

Probably the best review I've seen and the voice may also help.

As a side note, it's super annoying that they decided to release this movie so early from it's US premiere I'd like to go into it with fresh eyes.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:25 AM

Arch-Druid

As a side note, it's super annoying that they decided to release this movie so early from it's US premiere I'd like to go into it with fresh eyes.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:41 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurehax View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-7ayDJw1JU

A short, but really good review. I mostly agree with it, and I think that the director's cut will be really good. Gul'dan's speech isn't the only known cut scene, there's also a scene with orcs in some snowy land from the trailers, and a troll raid on Stormwind that was mentioned by journalists. And the sequal has all possibilities to become an X times better movie. But they need to polish the looks of elves and dwarves.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:32 AM

Arch-Druid

It looks like not only does Gul'dan help with birthing baby Thrall... but Thrall looks like he's stillborn and Gul'dan brings him to life with fel magic, turning him green.

: Mwahahaha?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magistrix Verdande View Post
I think I could go down to McDonalds, order a strawberry milkshake, take the bus to the park, enjoy the weather, and then go home, and it'd still be enough to somehow piss off alliance players.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:49 AM

Eternal

Quote:
I agree with this for sure. Was there ever a reason given? Because having another country shit on it a week before release is enough to turn a lot of people off.
Hollywood has been sucking europes regressive liberal cock for a good while now.

4/10 seems a bit low in my book. I was thinking at least a 6/10 just because its obvious that they did a good job on the CG and sets.

So my only guess is that the characters were much worse than my cynical mind imagined. Yes Lothar, Medivh, Garona, and Durotan suck ass but i was at least expecting Guldan to pull a Dark Knight and carry the movie because men smarter than i have not figured out how to actually write a hero.

Last edited by Arashi; 05-26-2016 at 11:53 AM..
Old 05-26-2016, 11:53 AM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anasterian View Post

It looks like not only does Gul'dan help with birthing baby Thrall... but Thrall looks like he's stillborn and Gul'dan brings him to life with fel magic, turning him green.

: Mwahahaha?
Thats actually clever Thrall was artifically aged to a mature baby
Old 05-26-2016, 11:54 AM

Keeper of the Grove

Is there going to be a directors cut? Like, was that confirmed?
Old 05-26-2016, 11:57 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiraser View Post
A short, but really good review. I mostly agree with it, and I think that the director's cut will be really good. Gul'dan's speech isn't the only known cut scene, there's also a scene with orcs in some snowy land from the trailers, and a troll raid on Stormwind that was mentioned by journalists. And the sequal has all possibilities to become an X times better movie. But they need to polish the looks of elves and dwarves.
Wait, the video talks about it as if an extended cut is set in stone. Have they confirmed a three-and-a-half hour long edition?

I agree about the elves, but what's wrong with the dwarves? Every single shot I've seen of a dwarf character (Magni, his "advisors" or whatever they are) they look amazing.
Old 05-26-2016, 12:32 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Is there going to be a directors cut? Like, was that confirmed?
Nah. We're just speculating. But every second blockbuster have a director's cut these days. Since, you know, it's a good way to make people buy some blu-ray copies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gortrash View Post
Wait, the video talks about it as if an extended cut is set in stone. Have they confirmed a three-and-a-half hour long edition?

I agree about the elves, but what's wrong with the dwarves? Every single shot I've seen of a dwarf character (Magni, his "advisors" or whatever they are) they look amazing.
No, they didn't confirm anything. But we do know that there's some cut content here, so we can speculate that maybe we'll have an extended cut with 20-30 minutes of footage. But, yeah, it's just wishful thinking at this point. And I think that the reviewer over-exaggerated the feeling of the movie being cut too much. It's partly thanks to the pacing - there's a lot of stuff to cover. As I said, I mostly agree with him. Not totally.

Dwarves are actually pretty great compared to the elves. The CGI itself looks good, I even paid some extreme attention to the scene from your avatar, since it was bashed by critics for bad CGI even before the movie was relased. And the CGI was actually good. But I thinnk that the dwarves look, I don't even know how to say it best, a bit flattened. It's just that I envisioned them being more like the dwarf from the WoW first cinematic. And their faces looked too similar to each other. But maybe if they had more scenes, I would get used to it. Well, maybe if they'll make a sequel, it wil really happen. (or when I'll rewatch it enough times at home after the dvd/blu-ray release, derp.). As for the faces, maybe it's intentional - they are all bearded dudes, so it sorta makes sense. But I do believe that if we will ever see a Wildhammer dwarf, he will look different.

And speaking of Wlidhammer, the gryphon kicked some serious ass int the last part of the movie. I thought that the wolves from the movie were a menace, but the gryphon - he is a killing machine. And... speaking of mounts, horses. I hoped for a cool scene of mounted knights charging at the orcish horde and crushing them under the hoofs of their steeds, but alas. I mean, in the gameverse orcs were hella impressed by the speed and power of mounted knights. Maybe in the next movie.
Old 05-26-2016, 12:41 PM

Owl Scout

New Gul'dan Featurette

Tags
entertainment, warcraft