Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

View Poll Results: Who's a Dreadlord?
Jaina 9 40.91%
Khadgar 0 0%
Varian 0 0%
Tirion 3 13.64%
Darion 0 0%
Wrathion 2 9.09%
Malfurion 1 4.55%
Turalyon 2 9.09%
Tyrande 0 0%
Alleria 2 9.09%
Vol'jin 0 0%
Lor'themar 0 0%
Baine 1 4.55%
Gallywix 0 0%
Muradin 0 0%
Mekkadrill 0 0%
Genn 0 0%
Sylvanas 1 4.55%
Aggra 0 0%
Anduin 1 4.55%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-22-2015, 11:10 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
I think demons killed by demon hunters are actually gonzo. Drained of their fel.
Meh, maybe.

Though honestly I'd personally rather that not even be the case. My distaste for WoW demon hunters in general would only be further compounded if it turns out that the only people who can kill demons are that pack of self-pitying sad sacks.

Everything about demon hunters is just obnoxiously shallow and uninteresting to me. They're nothing more than shirtless warlocks with a victim complex. "Oh woe is me, the target of my worship got his feelings hurt by his mean brother so we all have to act like a bunch of badly written fan fiction vampires who brood and lament that the world hates us for being awesome. Why can't people just love us for turning our crack addiction into a martial art?"
Old 08-22-2015, 11:11 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
Meh, maybe.

Though honestly I'd personally rather that not even be the case. My distaste for WoW demon hunters in general would only be further compounded if it turns out that the only people who can kill demons are that pack of self-pitying sad sacks.

Everything about demon hunters is just obnoxiously shallow and uninteresting to me. They're nothing more than shirtless warlocks with a victim complex. "Oh woe is me, the target of my worship got his feelings hurt by his mean brother so we all have to act like a bunch of badly written fan fiction vampires who brood and lament that the world hates us for being awesome. Why can't people just love us for turning our crack addiction into a martial art?"
Is it okay if I quote this and put it everywhere?

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 08-22-2015, 11:13 PM

Elune

Quote:
Meh, maybe.

Well, to be fair, the world WOULD love it if some hobo turned his crack addict into a martial art.

But yes, my DH to will be playing off that.
Old 08-22-2015, 11:16 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Is it okay if I quote this and put it everywhere?
I...guess?

Though I'm not sure it would really change any minds or anything. Much like the faction debates, certain people tend to end up reflexively roleplaying as demon hunters when they're compelled defend them.

Quote:
Well, to be fair, the world WOULD love it if some hobo turned his crack addict into a martial art.
Not if crack were dangerously radioactive, they wouldn't.
Old 08-22-2015, 11:23 PM

Elune

Quote:
I...guess?

Though I'm not sure it would really change any minds or anything. Much like the faction debates, certain people tend to end up reflexively roleplaying as demon hunters when they're compelled defend them.

Not if crack were dangerously radioactive, they wouldn't.
All forms of magic are dangerously radioactive in WoW.
Old 08-22-2015, 11:31 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
All forms of magic are dangerously radioactive in WoW.
How so?

Light doesn't cause ambient harm to anyone who's not undead unless it's deliberately used to do so.

Nature magic is just that - nature - and so only causes harm when corrupted or deliberately used to do so.

Void is basically like the energy of a black hole, so it's literally the opposite of radioactive because it pulls other energies in rather than radiating out.

Arcane magic can be dangerously "radioactive," when unleashed in vast enough amounts to linger, but otherwise it dissipates away once used - otherwise mages would always be leaving pools of it in their wake.

Fel specifically is known for accumulating like toxic spillage as it's employed, causing deformed mutations in nearby life and physical deterioration to its surroundings regardless of whether such is the user's intent. Just having warlocks around using it killed large swathes of MU Draenor's flora and fauna while depleting the very land itself in HFP, and the fel-saturated blood of demons is known to be a powerful mutagenic agent.
Old 08-22-2015, 11:34 PM

Elune

Quote:
How so?

Light doesn't cause ambient harm to anyone who's not undead unless it's deliberately used to do so.

Nature magic is just that - nature - and so only causes harm when corrupted or deliberately used to do so.

Void is basically like the energy of a black hole, so it's literally the opposite of radioactive because it pulls other energies in rather than radiating out.

Arcane magic can be dangerously "radioactive," when unleashed in vast enough amounts to linger, but otherwise it dissipates away once used - otherwise mages would always be leaving pools of it in their wake.

Fel specifically is known for accumulating like toxic spillage as it's employed, causing deformed mutations in nearby life and physical deterioration to its surroundings regardless of whether such is the user's intent. Just having warlocks around using it killed large swathes of MU Draenor's flora and fauna while depleting the very land itself in HFP, and the fel-saturated blood of demons is known to be a powerful mutagenic agent.
That's not accurate to say though.

Demon Hunters and Warlocks on Azeroth don't cause that spread... It's the misuse of fel that causes it. The misuse just happens to be the most common way.

As for the fel blood, ancient blood, ripe with nature magic, gave us giant mutant throne forests
Old 08-22-2015, 11:47 PM

Sentinel Queen

I protest against this thread. It should have been "Who is NOT a dreadlord in disguise?"!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaximillian View Post
If BL stands for Blizzard, then yeah.
Old 08-22-2015, 11:48 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
That's not accurate to say though.

Demon Hunters and Warlocks on Azeroth don't cause that spread... It's the misuse of Del that causes it. The misuse just happens to be the most common way.

As for the del blood, ancient blood, ripe with nature magic, gave us giant mutant throne forests
They don't cause it on Azeroth because by making playable classes out of things that shouldn't have been playable, Blizz forced themselves to ignore their own rules. Moreover, there are fewer warlocks on Azeroth, while on Draenor nearly the entire shaman population became warlocks.

Gameplay. It's the same reason not logging in on a night elf mage for two expansions won't cause him or her to suffer arcane withdrawal when you finally log back in.

There is no "misuse"; fel magic is inherently destructive energy that burns other energies away to feed itself while other magics simply change an energy from one form to another.

I'm assuming you mean thorn forest. The Razorfen isn't mutated; it came in its entirety from a demigod's blood. That's its natural state, and it coexists with the rest of the Barrens, providing its own functional ecosystem. Fel corruption specifically depletes and kills life by its proximity, eliminating ecosystems by wiping out plantlife and grotesquely deforming animal life, while depleting the land itself of life-supporting energies. Which fits into its addictive properties; since it's constantly in need of life to burn in order to fuel itself, its users need to keep draining energies to keep themselves sated. As addictive as arcane magic is, fel magic is even moreso because in addition to the person's hunger, the magic itself hungers as well.

Those are established properties of fel magic. Which is my problem with demon hunters. The whole concept hinges upon the idea of ignoring the lore's own established rules so that a bunch of weepy sues can have their badass demon powers without having to worry about any of the drawbacks associated with them. They get to just pretend there's not a problem because "they're just that awesome."

Last edited by ARM3481; 08-22-2015 at 11:50 PM..
Old 08-23-2015, 12:10 AM

World Builder

Quote:
I...guess?

Who cares it's hilarious.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 08-23-2015, 03:04 AM

Banished

Quote:
Meh, maybe.

I love this post so much.
Old 08-23-2015, 03:11 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Quote:
They don't cause it on Azeroth because by making playable classes out of things that shouldn't have been playable, Blizz forced themselves to ignore their own rules. Moreover, there are fewer warlocks on Azeroth, while on Draenor nearly the entire shaman population became warlocks.
That they shouldn't be playable is your own opinion, obviously there is an appeal to playing dark spellcaster type classes and it's a niche that exists in multiple other fantasy settings.

I must ask again, what would replace Warlocks with if you'd have them removed from the game?

Last edited by Lord Grimtale; 08-23-2015 at 03:14 AM..
Old 08-23-2015, 03:18 AM

Banished

I think, overall, the original Class Selections were solid. Variety and also staying true to the WarCraft roots while making sense from a narrative viewpoint. But after that? Oh boy.....

I never liked Death Knights, they felt forced as all fuck, especially given that EVERY race could play one. Gnome DKs still look fucking stupid. They've also been consistently overpowered from a survival standpoint.

Monks made slightly more sense than DKs, but still felt forced. I honestly don't see why they bothered, they could of just added the playable Pandaren for both factions and people would of been more than happy, a new class was hardly needed.

Demon Hunters are the worst one yet.

Quote:
^
Old 08-23-2015, 03:24 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerbrew View Post
I think, overall, the original Class Selections were solid. Variety and also staying true to the WarCraft roots while making sense from a narrative viewpoint. But after that? Oh boy.....

I never liked Death Knights, they felt forced as all fuck, especially given that EVERY race could play one. Gnome DKs still look fucking stupid. They've also been consistently overpowered from a survival standpoint.

Monks made slightly more sense than DKs, but still felt forced. I honestly don't see why they bothered, they could of just added the playable Pandaren for both factions and people would of been more than happy, a new class was hardly needed.

Demon Hunters are the worst one yet.

^
Honestly I prefer new classes over more new races that are just going to be shat on by the lore.

And yes I'm aware that you both hate Demon Hunters, but as I see it, it was the most obvious class to choose given Blizzard's current state of affairs. They could have gone with Tinkers and I wouldn't have minded that, but even I have to admit that simply isn't going to draw a fanbase to the same degree as Demon Hunters. The last new class we had is also currently the least popular class in the game.

Other than Tinkers, I don't think there are any other solid ideas for a new class. I remember leaks that said some kind of Shadow Hunter, but that's just going to be another class that only fits for exactly one race and having a class that works for two races is a marginal improvement over that.

EDIT: Also fite me irl, DK's are awesome.

Also before anyone says "you're just a Demon Hunter fanboy aren't you?" I'm probably not going to make a Demon Hunter. Melee is always shit to play in PvE and it would feel redundant because I already main a Warlock. The only reason I might consider leveling a Demon Hunter is because they start at a fairly high level and it's just another alt that will feed me mass amounts of wealth from whatever it is I'll be accruing wealth from in this expansion.

Last edited by Lord Grimtale; 08-23-2015 at 03:43 AM..
Old 08-23-2015, 06:39 AM

Elune

I still find it amusing when people ask Blizzard not to give DH's to more than the elven races because "omg Blizzard now cares about the lore!". Do they bollocks. They just don't want to put in the work of adjusting more than the elven races for stuff like horns, tattoos and the metamorphosis forms. People are so naive.

Quote:
I think what irks me most is that Demon Hunters supposedly 'sacrifice' to fight the Demons. The problem is, they don't really come across as the anti/tragic heroes that they seem to describe them as. They just seem like a bunch of angsty man-children who ran off with the bad crowd to spite their parents and now bitch how the world is so cruel to them.

Say what you will about DKs, there was very little angst in their narrative beyond "Oh fuck, I'm dead." They were monsters, sure, but they were going to take advantage of their new found undeath and all the benefits/drawbacks with it and point themselves at the bastard who killed them.

Compare that to Demon Hunters and I'm sort of left wondering why, from a lore perspective, there aren't more people 'sacrificing' in order to try and stem a Legion invasion that seems hopeless.

Last edited by Drusus; 08-23-2015 at 06:42 AM..
Old 08-23-2015, 06:48 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Night Elf Icon (War3)

The problem with Demon Hunters is that their patron saint is Illidan. Blizzard should have distanced them from him, but we gotta live with what we got.
Old 08-23-2015, 06:50 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
The problem with Demon Hunters is that their patron saint is Illidan. Blizzard should have distanced them from him, but we gotta live with what we got.
At least Death Knights had Darion rather than the Lich King. The problem is now with the PC being the 'Commander', Demon Hunters won't really have that same patron.
Old 08-23-2015, 06:51 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusus View Post
I think what irks me most is that Demon Hunters supposedly 'sacrifice' to fight the Demons. The problem is, they don't really come across as the anti/tragic heroes that they seem to describe them as. They just seem like a bunch of angsty man-children who ran off with the bad crowd to spite their parents and now bitch how the world is so cruel to them.

Say what you will about DKs, there was very little angst in their narrative beyond "Oh fuck, I'm dead." They were monsters, sure, but they were going to take advantage of their new found undeath and all the benefits/drawbacks with it and point themselves at the bastard who killed them.

Compare that to Demon Hunters and I'm sort of left wondering why, from a lore perspective, there aren't more people 'sacrificing' in order to try and stem a Legion invasion that seems hopeless.
That is indeed a story issue with DH's, I even agree that Illidan is a poor representative of what it means to be a Demon Hunter since his pursuit of the art doesn't convey any sense of sacrifice or tragedy. He's just power hungry and arrogant.

If anything, Altruis is more my favorite representative of Demon Hunters. He doesn't seem to angst and didn't agree with Illidan when he decided to go rogue. He also plays up that cool 'mysterious warrior' angle that's part of the Demon Hunter's thematic kit.
Old 08-23-2015, 06:57 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusus View Post
At least Death Knights had Darion rather than the Lich King. The problem is now with the PC being the 'Commander', Demon Hunters won't really have that same patron.
True, Illidan won't be their leader anymore, but he was, and they all graduated from his school, so he taints then with his emoness. Like Grim said, he's a bad representative (and not even a real Demon Hunter).
Old 08-23-2015, 06:58 AM

Elune

Did I unblock Arashi? ''omg edgy'' posts everywhere.
Old 08-23-2015, 11:22 AM

Warden

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
Did I unblock Arashi? ''omg edgy'' posts everywhere.
This became a thread about Demon Hunters, what did you expect?
Old 08-23-2015, 12:45 PM

Site Staff - Admin

Shadow Orb

Here's a link to an old thread about the same topic:

http://www.scrollsoflore.com/forums/...d.php?t=216546
Old 08-23-2015, 12:57 PM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
Here's a link to an old thread about the same topic:

http://www.scrollsoflore.com/forums/...d.php?t=216546

Tags