Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 08-19-2015, 05:36 AM

Elune

Shadow Orb

Old 08-19-2015, 05:42 AM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
You mean the Joe Schmoe Azerothian armsman who got turned into the last descendent of the Emperor of Humankind and then treated as the Titans' greatest gift to mankind and elfkind?

It's about as significant as a European noble (or just about any European for that matter) bragging about descent from Charlemagne. "Oh, yeah? Who isn't?"

People give Varian Wrynn a lot of shit for the High King ass-pull, but, in retrospect, that precedent ship had long since sailed with Anduin Lothar's silly Arathi claims in Warcraft 2.
Well let's be fair. In Warcraft II, he was just Joe Schmoe Azerothian armsman without any of those imperial lineage claims. He led because he was there, not because he had a birthright to it.

No... in Warcraft II he was just a boring guy who came off a little stupid for trying to parley with Doomhammer. There was nothing WRONG with him, but nothing spectacular either. Similar case with Uther Lightbringer. They were just guys.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:10 AM

Banished

I said RTS Lothar. Obviously that junk about him being the last Arathi doesn't apply to him.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:34 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
Well let's be fair. In Warcraft II, he was just Joe Schmoe Azerothian armsman without any of those imperial lineage claims. He led because he was there, not because he had a birthright to it.

No... in Warcraft II he was just a boring guy who came off a little stupid for trying to parley with Doomhammer. There was nothing WRONG with him, but nothing spectacular either. Similar case with Uther Lightbringer. They were just guys.
I would say that nothing was wrong even after they added that detail. It is not that they tried to make Lothar into Aragorn with that, as it was just a little detail nobody truly cared about and had no consequences on the standing of Lothar. Well, with the exception of it being one of the reasons why he was appointed as Supreme Commander, but that came far later than the detail itself, in the ToD novel. Which is honestly pretty telling, as we know what kind of work that is. I really hope that Chronicle will retcon the shit out of it.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:39 AM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
Well, with the exception of it being one of the reasons why he was appointed as Supreme Commander, but that came far later than the detail itself, in the ToD novel.
I thought Lothar's Arathor lineage was also introduced in the novel. Was it a part of lore earlier than that?
Old 08-19-2015, 06:47 AM

Eternal

Quote:
I thought Lothar's Arathor lineage was also introduced in the novel. Was it a part of lore earlier than that?
Yes. First mention of it was in some magazine from 2002? Not sure, would have to check it. But it was also included in the World of Warcraft history page/in-game books, which was from 2004. My personal theory is that they made Lothar the last of the Arathi the moment they made Arathor, as both of these things appeared at approx. same time.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:51 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
I would say that nothing was wrong even after they added that detail. It is not that they tried to make Lothar into Aragorn with that, as it was just a little detail nobody truly cared about and had no consequences on the standing of Lothar. Well, with the exception of it being one of the reasons why he was appointed as Supreme Commander, but that came far later than the detail itself, in the ToD novel. Which is honestly pretty telling, as we know what kind of work that is. I really hope that Chronicle will retcon the shit out of it.
As far as I remember, Lothar's lineage was hardly even one of the reason he got appointed; more like a ceremonial justification after the fact. Under the political circumstances, he would probably have been appointed regardless of his heritage, and Terenas would have found one reason or another to appease the other kings.

I like Aragorn's Numenorean bloodline stuff anyway, though it doesn't work as well in the Warcraft universe.

Last edited by Siegrune; 08-19-2015 at 06:54 AM..
Old 08-19-2015, 06:57 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegrune View Post
As far as I remember, Lothar's lineage was hardly even one of the reason he got appointed; more like a ceremonial justification after the fact. Under the political circumstances, he would probably have been appointed regardless of his heritage, and Terenas would have found one reason or another to appease the other kings.

I like Aragorn's Numenorean bloodline stuff anyway, though it doesn't work as well in the Warcraft universe.
Well, to me, it appeared as some kings would not just accept him without that. But that might just be my impression.

Anyway, I like Aragorn and his story. Because it is the original (within confines of the fantasy genre). But I dislike it elsewhere (with some exceptions of course) as it has been repeated to death.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:05 AM

The Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mertico View Post
Thargas Anvilmar, though. He should unite the Dwarves.
Nah, I remember him as "Dwarven Lothar".

Quote:
Nazgrel
Totally always remember him and sad to see he didn't appear more often ('cause we couldn't get enough of Garrosh and Saurfang!)

Quote:
You mean the Joe Schmoe Azerothian armsman who got turned into the last descendent of the Emperor of Humankind and then treated as the Titans' greatest gift to mankind and elfkind?

It's about as significant as a European noble (or just about any European for that matter) bragging about descent from Charlemagne. "Oh, yeah? Who isn't?"

People give Varian Wrynn a lot of shit for the High King ass-pull, but, in retrospect, that precedent ship had long since sailed with Anduin Lothar's silly Arathi claims in Warcraft 2.
Which is why I think he's talking not about the "Arathi Tribe" (whose decendants would be all around Stromgarde), but the "Arathi Dynasty", which indeed could have noble-only (or incestual) means of passing on their bloodline.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:11 AM

Elune

Mathogg

Quote:
Upon release, Mathogg vowed that, now that his people were safe, he would travel to Orgrimmar to lend his services to the Horde.
Legend says he's still traveling to Orgrimmar.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:18 AM

The Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
Mathogg

...I totally thought one of these grunt quest guys appeared in RazorHill.

EDIT: Wait, yes! That was Gar'Thok!
Old 08-19-2015, 12:32 PM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:

Has that terrible ToD truly tainted my memory of Warcraft II that badly? For shame! Why couldn't that book just never have been?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir the Wizard View Post
Which is why I think he's talking not about the "Arathi Tribe" (whose decendants would be all around Stromgarde), but the "Arathi Dynasty", which indeed could have noble-only (or incestual) means of passing on their bloodline.
If only there was a nation that had the descendants of a bunch of Arathi nobles... like Lordaeron...
Old 08-19-2015, 12:37 PM

Elune

Old 08-19-2015, 12:41 PM

Elune

Quote:
Mathogg

Mathogg's always a great excuse to fanon up a new clan, or have one of the old ones still be present in the new horde.

Quote:
If only there was a nation that had the descendants of a bunch of Arathi nobles... like Lordaeron...
Obviously, the Arathi sons only intermarried matrilineally with lesser noble dynasties.

Last edited by ijffdrie; 08-19-2015 at 12:47 PM..
Old 08-20-2015, 04:41 AM

The Sun King

Quote:
Exactly, nobles, but not the main Thoradin's dynasty to whom Quel'Thalas owed a debt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
Mathogg's always a great excuse to fanon up a new clan, or have one of the old ones still be present in the new horde.
Wasn't it Gar'Thok the one with an unnamed clan?
Old 08-20-2015, 05:06 AM

Elune

Quote:
Wasn't it Gar'Thok the one with an unnamed clan?
No, Gar'thok was the guy in the outpost that was killed by Tirasian sailors while Rexxar was doing an ethnic purge of the local quilboar.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:11 AM

The Sun King

Quote:
No, Gar'thok was the guy in the outpost that was killed by Tirasian sailors while Rexxar was doing an ethnic purge of the local quilboar.
No he survived, and in fact he was the leader of Razor Hill in Vanilla WoW through Mists of Pandaria.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:23 AM

Elune

Quote:
No he survived, and in fact he was the leader of Razor Hill in Vanilla WoW through Mists of Pandaria.
I meant the outpost was killed. Gar'thok survived.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:24 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Quote:
I meant the outpost was killed. Gar'thok survived.
Only night elf and naga outposts get killed.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:31 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Only night elf and naga outposts get killed.
The outpost you cross to get to the goblin observatory -_-.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:02 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Quote:
The outpost you cross to get to the goblin observatory -_-.
But it wasn't alive!
Old 08-20-2015, 06:51 AM

Elune

Shadow Orb Who is this 'darkness' anyway?

Quote:
"Darkness called? But I was on the phone, so I missed him. I tried to *69-Darkness, but his machine picked up. I yelled "Pick up the phone, Darkness!," but he ignored me. Darkness must have been screening his calls."
Quote:
Yes? Darkness, hey, what's up? The Demon Hunter left you a message? No I don't have his number
Quote:
Darkness? needs to get DSL. His line is always busy.
Is Darkness finally gonna show up in Legion?
Old 08-20-2015, 06:57 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Quote:
Is Darkness finally gonna show up in Legion?
Maybe Illidan is like Dexter Morgan and 'darkness' refers to his Dark Passenger?

Apparently the D3 Demon Hunter has it too.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:30 AM

Sentinel Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
This.

Also, Oronok Torn-Heart and his sons.
What?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaximillian View Post
If BL stands for Blizzard, then yeah.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:39 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
Maybe Illidan is like Dexter Morgan and 'darkness' refers to his Dark Passenger?

Apparently the D3 Demon Hunter has it too.
Does that make Gul'dan his Harry?

Tags
characters, impossible premise