Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Fan Works

Old 01-18-2017, 12:29 AM

Banished

Well I mean, no matter what Arthas went through up to getting Frostmourne it's doubtful he'd abandon his humanity and massacre his kingdom unless magically warped to do that. Never had any doubts that's what happened in WC3. Then the novel comes along and has Arthas act about the same before and after magic death sword.
Old 01-18-2017, 01:14 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waydin View Post
Well I mean, no matter what Arthas went through up to getting Frostmourne it's doubtful he'd abandon his humanity and massacre his kingdom unless magically warped to do that. Never had any doubts that's what happened in WC3. Then the novel comes along and has Arthas act about the same before and after magic death sword.
I already mentioned this here once, but Frostmourne essentially does is that it takes away Arthas' soul, which leaves him unable to feel any deeper emotions, including love, compassion, shame, guilt, and essentially leaves him without conscience.
Old 01-18-2017, 04:25 PM

Arch-Druid

Sorta like Kerrigan in a way (the infestation amplified things like rage anger and desire for vengeance while suppressing compassion and empathy)
Old 02-03-2017, 07:57 PM

Druid of the Talon

So I noticed in some of your earlier concepts that Quel'Thalas is far enough north that theoretically the Sunwell could have 24 hours of day and night during their respective Solstices, is this something that would be touched on as a part of their culture? Maybe an elf specific tradition surrounding midsummer/winter's veil?
Old 02-07-2017, 01:35 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veleth95 View Post
So I noticed in some of your earlier concepts that Quel'Thalas is far enough north that theoretically the Sunwell could have 24 hours of day and night during their respective Solstices, is this something that would be touched on as a part of their culture? Maybe an elf specific tradition surrounding midsummer/winter's veil?
I've moved the line further north actually. Though there are other traditions surrounding the Sunwell.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:36 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
I've moved the line further north actually. Though there are other traditions surrounding the Sunwell.
Such as? ;D
Old 02-07-2017, 01:54 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethenil View Post
Such as? ;D
When reaching adulthood, young female elves are admitted to the society as equals and life-givers by bathing in the arcane waters of the Sunwell, an event public and much celebrated.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:23 PM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

Looking at your maps gives me quite the tranquil feeling.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 02-17-2017, 12:56 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaskaleh View Post
Looking at your maps gives me quite the tranquil feeling.
I am glad.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:26 PM

Banished

I have a question about this.

What works do you include as canon?
Old 02-24-2017, 03:43 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almed View Post
I have a question about this.

What works do you include as canon?
Everything, though there are levels of importance and accuracy.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:16 PM

Banished

Even the RPG?
Old 02-27-2017, 03:31 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Even the RPG?
No, the RPG are not canon by default. Though I have lent a few names from it.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:53 PM

Banished

What is the tone of your work when put up with WoW? Does it detail some more, grisly, details (for example, the Orcs engaging in some Rape and Pillage here and there)?
Old 02-27-2017, 11:59 PM

Eternal

Quote:
What is the tone of your work when put up with WoW? Does it detail some more, grisly, details (for example, the Orcs engaging in some Rape and Pillage here and there)?
Read the First War preview that's a few pages back, I believe that will answer your question nicely.
Old 04-11-2017, 02:45 PM

The Sun King

Thumbs up

Quote:
However, this event was but a teardrop of all the atrocities commited during the war. The aforementioned technique was used widely by the orcs, and even so was but one of many tools of psychological warfare. The greenskins also widely resorted to rape and child mutilation, attempting to pollute the Azerothien blood and destroy the nation's spirit.

In retaliation, the Azerothien military turned to use many tools of its own. Particularly horrid was their mutilation of captured orcish females, who fought alongside their male counterparts at the time. To ensure they would bear the Horde no children that could take up arms against Azeroth, these females had their breasts torn out and their wombs desecrated and sterilized, only to be sent back to show the orcs what would await them if they continued their war against the realm. Although this technique was shunned by the Church for its apparent cruelty, it proved wildly succesful. Afraid of loosing their ability to procreate at a sufficient rate, Blackhand banned the orcish females from fighting on the frontlines. For the remainder of the war, only orcish males would form the backbone of the orcish military.
DAMN, Marthen, that's dark!

...And terrifyingly explains while we've seen no female grunts before Thrall's Horde, when the relations between orcs and humans marginally improved.

EDIT: On Banners.

Personally, I'd have the Eagle as the Thalassian national banner, as it is used by elven groups BEYOND those affiliated with Silvermoon specifically, like Sunfury and Silver Covenant. It's like the Bald Eagle for the Elves, not just a capital banner.

As for the unicorn flag, I'd prefer it to be the Thalassian NAVAL banner, since that's where it was usually used. Or even a "Military" banner as whole. But the design doesn't really look like a national banner type of heraldry, more like a warband emblem:
http://i.imgur.com/pKt06Kk.jpg

For the Silvermoon City flag... I'd add some sort of Moon. Preferably Silver.

Last edited by Kir the Wizard; 04-11-2017 at 02:53 PM..
Old 04-12-2017, 01:55 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir the Wizard View Post
DAMN, Marthen, that's dark!

...And terrifyingly explains while we've seen no female grunts before Thrall's Horde, when the relations between orcs and humans marginally improved.

EDIT: On Banners.

Personally, I'd have the Eagle as the Thalassian national banner, as it is used by elven groups BEYOND those affiliated with Silvermoon specifically, like Sunfury and Silver Covenant. It's like the Bald Eagle for the Elves, not just a capital banner.

As for the unicorn flag, I'd prefer it to be the Thalassian NAVAL banner, since that's where it was usually used. Or even a "Military" banner as whole. But the design doesn't really look like a national banner type of heraldry, more like a warband emblem:
http://i.imgur.com/pKt06Kk.jpg

For the Silvermoon City flag... I'd add some sort of Moon. Preferably Silver.
Well, I'd like to keep the unicorn for the banner of the High Kingdom of Quel'Thalas. Let me tell you why. First, in our world, the unicorn usually represented something like virtues or passions of primal nature, something I find very, very fitting for old Quel'Thalas. Second, there's the relevance the unicorn held in the old high elven society (something shown multiple times in different works of Blizzard), as well as the symbolic connection between the fall of the High Kingdom and the extermination of their population in Quel’Thalas, both during the Third War. In that vein, I believe that having the unicorn the national animal of High Home, one that represents the nature of the region, and one that falls out of use after the destruction of the old kingdom and the extermination of the unicorn population, is rather fitting, and that its fall out of use serves a great dividing point.

That being said, I find your suggestion to make that particular design a war banner sensible. The symbol on the actual nation banner could easily be made more eloquent, drawing inspiration from one of these;

As for your other notes and suggestions, the banner of Silvermoon is not supposed to represent the city itself, but what we know as the Inner Kingdom*, in other words as the lands of Silvermoon proper. They are known as such as because unlike the other parts of the High Kingdom (the Outer Kingdom and the Marchlands*), they are directly ruled by the Council of Silvermoon. However, I find your suggestion to have the symbol silver appealing, might do just that.
And to use a moon symbol for the capital city itself, well, it’s something I have thought of myself, so consider it done.

*All these three designations are mere translation from Thalassian.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:35 AM

The Sun King

Quote:
That being said, I find your suggestion to make that particular design a war banner sensible. The symbol on the actual nation banner could easily be made more eloquent, drawing inspiration from one of these;
EXACTLY. I love the classic Unicorn of Heraldry, just as I love the Lion, but the emblems of such in Q'T and Stormwind are really sucky as official Coats of Arms. Using one of THESE Unicorns would be great.

Heck, I'd even want something like the coat of the County of Burgundy for Wrynn Dynasty personal crest, instead of the usual Lionface.

Quote:
As for your other notes and suggestions, the banner of Silvermoon is not supposed to represent the city itself, but what we know as the Inner Kingdom*, in other words as the lands of Silvermoon proper. They are known as such as because unlike the other parts of the High Kingdom (the Outer Kingdom and the Marchlands*), they are directly ruled by the Council of Silvermoon. However, I find your suggestion to have the symbol silver appealing, might do just that.
And to use a moon symbol for the capital city itself, well, it’s something I have thought of myself, so consider it done.

*All these three designations are mere translation from Thalassian.
You are just making my CK2 hype harder with all those High Kingdoms and Inner Kingdoms.

EDIT:
[quote=Marthen\However, I find your suggestion to have the symbol silver appealing, might do just that.
And to use a moon symbol for the capital city itself, well, it’s something I have thought of myself, so consider it done.[/quote]
Actually, scratch my suggestion, since I was thinking of a city emblem and not of the Kingdom Emblem. Yes, let the current one stay for the Kingdom of Silvermoon, while the City itself could get its own Moon emblem.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:44 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir the Wizard View Post
EXACTLY. I love the classic Unicorn of Heraldry, just as I love the Lion, but the emblems of such in Q'T and Stormwind are really sucky as official Coats of Arms. Using one of THESE Unicorns would be great.

Heck, I'd even want something like the coat of the County of Burgundy for Wrynn Dynasty personal crest, instead of the usual Lionface.
Let's speak of the heraldry and symbolism concerning the nation of Azeroth a bit. While I tremendously dislike the design of World of Warcraft's lion, I actually do not find the lion head problematic in itself, after all, it was used historically, and seeing how much is it used in all of Warcraft, it would be a folly to throw it out of the window. Especially these designs;

That said, the lion head is not your classical charge, nor is it specifically tied to Stormwind and Azeroth, instead, it is an icon widely used by all of humanity, an icon representing courage. Azeroth simply uses it extensively on its banners because of the importance that courage, heroism, and valor hold there.

As for actual Azerothien symbols, there are several I can mention.

First is the so-called Cross of Azeroth. It's a symbol that was basically representative of the whole entity of Azeroth, especially before and during the First War. Its roots are not religious in any way, however. Instead, it's a symbol representing the hardships of Azeroth's foundation (the War of the Emerald Lion), when King Lyonel, the last of the Arathi Dynasty (well, a legitimized bastard), crucified thousands of his subjects, including many members of the Houses of Wrynn and Lothar*.

Next is the symbol of Stormwind. This one is basically Stormwind's version of the L symbol extensively used in Lordaeron, featuring a stylized letter S. Although it has never been featured in any of the games, one can find it in several concepts and one particular artwork.

Finally, there are charges for several important families. The Wrynns use a golden gryphon on a field of red, the Lothars feature a black horse on a field of gold (the Brotherhood uses a blue horse on a field of silver), the Morgans use a rising sun and an eagle, etc.

*Lothar is actually not a family name per se. In truth, it is a hereditary second name, an ancestor name. Simply put, the family name is still Arathi technically (the Lothars are a cadet branch), yet every single member of the family is given the second name of Lothar, after the founder of the line Hlothyr (Hlothyr -> Lothyr -> Lothar), a tradition with such a history that this secondary name is used instead of the actual surname with almost no exceptions, even in official documents, especially after the War of the Emerald Lion. Hlothyr means "of Tyr", by the way, just as Martinus would mean "of Mars".

As such, Sir Anduin Lothar is actually Sir Anduin Lothar Arathi in his full name, however, Arathi is never used, whereas Lothar is used both as the (second) name and the surname.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:09 AM

Banished

I must ask: How does Medivh come back from getting a sword to death?
Old 04-18-2017, 03:19 AM

Eternal

Quote:
I must ask: How does Medivh come back from getting a sword to death?
He really does not. What we see during the Third War is more. A projection.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:22 AM

Eternal

Hello! Since one of my assistant writers has had to step away due to his personal obligations, I am now once again in search of an assistant writer. Quoting the former post;

Quote:
By the way, I have an announcement to make, sort of. After long and serious consideration, I have decided to attempt to recruit one or two assistant writers. This is something I was previously against, as I was, and still am, to be absolutely honest, wary of the potentional negative effect a multiple number of writers could have on the coherency of the work. However, I've concluded that it is possible to utilize several writers without any negative effect on the work's coherency, provided certain conditions are met, and seeing how I am stretched thin between real life obligations and the work on certain other projects of mine, something going on for about several months now with no end in sight, I truly believe the most reasonable course of action is to give this a try.

So, if any of you reading this would be interested in potentional collaboration, please give me a call via PM. Before you do, however, please bear in mind that certain conditions, conditions pertaining to the work's aforementioned coherency, need to be met. These include, but are not limited to, the following;

1) You'd need to understand the thematics and ideas found in this work.

2) When writing, you'd need to follow my instructions and notes.

3) You'd need respect my right to alter any writing of yours, as well as my right to propose any sort of change.

4) You wouldn't be afraid to provide feedback where needed.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:49 PM

Wisp
Location: Somewhere in Ireland. Where exactly is none of your business.

Are you adding any new towns or cities to the seven kingdoms?
Old 04-24-2017, 12:01 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imic View Post
Are you adding any new towns or cities to the seven kingdoms?
In short, yes. I suggest you take a look at our Atlas thread, the maps there feature many new settlements.

For example, Handelton. It's a Stromgarde town built relatively closely to Aerie Peak, in order to trade and maintain commerce with the Wildhammers. It's remotely based off this Warcraft III map;

http://wow.gamepedia.com/Market_Square

Last edited by Marthen; 04-24-2017 at 12:07 AM..
Old 04-24-2017, 10:06 AM

Wisp
Location: Somewhere in Ireland. Where exactly is none of your business.

Quote:
In short, yes. I suggest you take a look at our Atlas thread, the maps there feature many new settlements.

For example, Handelton. It's a Stromgarde town built relatively closely to Aerie Peak, in order to trade and maintain commerce with the Wildhammers. It's remotely based off this Warcraft III map;

http://wow.gamepedia.com/Market_Square
I was going to ask another question about the architecture of the seven kingdoms, but that doesn't matter or make sense, so never mind, sorry.

Tags
cartography, creative