Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 09-12-2016, 08:18 PM

Elune

A torrent would be great, yeah.

I was unable to snag it on time and still can't for at least 12hrs.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:56 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

So hopping around through the debug menu, sometimes Thrall has an item called "Rotting carcass" in his inventory that appears to be a dead rat; the rat from his jail cell in Durnholde. I can't seem to figure out a way to get that rat by the time I leave Durnholde. Any tips?

Last edited by Omacron; 09-12-2016 at 09:59 PM..
Old 09-12-2016, 10:40 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Millenia#1386

Thanks for sharing!

Though, I always miss downloading all the stuff that inevitably gets taken down by the DMCA. Ah well, maybe someday.

Also Kotaku posted on this too!

The Alliance's three rules on faction conflict:
1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.
3) You can't leave the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustrum View Post
Because if a storyteller is doing his job, he makes you care. And if that storyteller then says "I dunno, then they stopped fighting, I guess," without any explanation or clarification, his audience has every right to be pissed off. Because they were given reason to stay interested, reason to keep up with his tale, only to be shut down just as things were getting good. A waste of time, a waste of emotional tension, a waste, if you fail to grasp the significance of narrative, of money.

Last edited by Millenia; 09-12-2016 at 10:43 PM..
Old 09-13-2016, 03:47 AM

Critter

Hey guys.. just registered to say this :
If anyone wants the Game, here's an alternative Link I got from an old-school Retro website I use for Downloads :

http://theisozone.com/downloads/pc/w...released-beta/
https://firedrop.com/7dd7f4a214cba3363e0174ce926824a1

P.S. :
I hope I am not infringing any Rules by doing this.. Cheers
Old 09-13-2016, 04:44 AM

Critter

So, I found a Fix if you get Graphical glitches.. try this :

Also, here's another Fix if you have trouble getting the Game to work :

Go to Notepad or any other text editor.
Type (or copy and paste) the below lines exactly:

taskkill /F /IM explorer.exe

PlayWin.exe

start explorer.exe

Click “File –> Save as”
Name it “PlayWin.bat” (you will need to select “All Files” in the save as type drop down menu, so it won’t become a .txt file).

Save the file in the game directory, or just move it there.
Double Click ‘PlayWin.bat’ to run the game.

If it launched in a window, use Alt + Enter to change it to full screen.
It should be working perfectly. Voilà.
Old 09-13-2016, 05:02 AM

Critter

So, I found a Fix if you get Graphical glitches.. try this :

Also, here's another Fix if you have trouble getting the Game to work :

Go to Notepad or any other text editor.
Type (or copy and paste) the below lines exactly:

taskkill /F /IM explorer.exe

PlayWin.exe

start explorer.exe

Click “File –> Save as”
Name it “PlayWin.bat” (you will need to select “All Files” in the save as type drop down menu, so it won’t become a .txt file).

Save the file in the game directory, or just move it there.
Double Click ‘PlayWin.bat’ to run the game.

If it launched in a window, use Alt + Enter to change it to full screen.
It should be working perfectly. Voilà.
Old 09-13-2016, 05:07 AM

Critter

Thumbs up The file in MEDIAFIRE is removed

Hey guys,
Any of you have the installation file shared in another account? please share it, I couldn't download it at time, now the file was removed, maybe if you can upload it to MEGA, I really want to play this game, because I only read about it and the other installer that I could find its only 50Mbs, a shareware.

I'll really appreciate it.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:45 AM

Huntress

update first post
Old 09-13-2016, 09:41 AM

Critter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reidor View Post
If you download game, congrats you, but i received message from Blizzard, so that, forced to remove download link and beg you not distribute this project.
As it was expected of course. We all knew it would happen very very fast, fortunately I'm settled if you know what I mean. Thank you for the opportunity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reidor View Post
The truth, if something already on the internet, this is not delete...
We hear you loud and clear, it's out there now, there's no stopping it or deleting it
Old 09-13-2016, 03:04 PM

Owl Scout
Send a message via ICQ to IllidanS4

Default Fixed version repack

Thanks Reidor for posting the link, but his version is a bit incomplete, to say at least. I have taken courtesy to make this release a bit better, and working on newest system without any system modifications.

Warcraft Adventures 1.0 Fixed - Repack by IllidanS4

News and changes:
AMI's intro (accessible from the menu) has adjusted framerate, to lessen the voice desynchronisation, also removed the background noise in the cutscene.
Game initially starts in the menu, not in the jail cell.
Saves directory is set relative to the game directory, you don't have to change it.
The game uses DDrawCompat wrapper to fix color issues (no registry modification needed).

Also included are the bonus folders with the soundtrack (FLAC), development screenshots, drafts, and old documents.
In the W4 folder, there's my unpacker "walotcres.exe". If you run it, it will start unpacking all resources from the game - sounds, images, animations, music etc. from the .rsc files one by one.

Have fun and provide mirrors, please!

Last edited by Omacron; 09-13-2016 at 03:37 PM..
Old 09-13-2016, 03:29 PM

Critter

This stuff is great, I don't even get why it got cancelled in the first place!
It also works fine aside from the pre-rendered cutscenes, which have the speech timing all messed up and chunky, and the frames don't roll constantly but slow down and then go fast again.
Is that some problem with my configuration or was this the actual state of the game, Reidor (or anyone)?
Old 09-14-2016, 02:21 AM

Critter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rum Rogers View Post
It also works fine aside from the pre-rendered cutscenes, which have the speech timing all messed up and chunky, and the frames don't roll constantly but slow down and then go fast again.
Is that some problem with my configuration or was this the actual state of the game, Reidor (or anyone)?
As far as I know it's neither. The game just isn't ready to run on modern machines and it shows on it's video software. There were a few topics on reddit on how to help, but personally for me none of it worked, actually it made it worse.

Maybe now that's it's finally out of the bag some code savvy fans might be willing to work on an official patch to fix the video player.

I'd love to see the videos properly, but I'm quite happy that the game is perfectly playable and the videos aren't, rather than vice-versa.
Old 09-14-2016, 06:28 AM

Keeper of Lore
BattleTag: Warlock#1498

Quote:
Originally Posted by unrealized View Post
As far as I know it's neither. The game just isn't ready to run on modern machines and it shows on it's video software. There were a few topics on reddit on how to help, but personally for me none of it worked, actually it made it worse.

Maybe now that's it's finally out of the bag some code savvy fans might be willing to work on an official patch to fix the video player.

I'd love to see the videos properly, but I'm quite happy that the game is perfectly playable and the videos aren't, rather than vice-versa.
DirectDrawFix worked for me. Otherwise the compatibility settings I posted earlier did the same thing.
Old 09-14-2016, 10:27 AM

Owl Scout

I did a rather quick test of fixing the cutscenes. I chose a short one right at the beginning, tried to sync the audio and added sound effects. It took me an hour, so with more time an even better result would be possible. The cutscene can be played within the game!

EDIT: Video removed. It was just an early test and I have uploaded new (and much better) ones since then.

Last edited by Silver83; 10-11-2016 at 02:39 PM..
Old 09-14-2016, 05:57 PM

Owl Scout
Send a message via ICQ to IllidanS4

Thanks Reidor for posting the game, but his version is a bit incomplete, to say at least. I have taken courtesy to make this release a bit better, and working on newest systems without any modifications.

Warcraft Adventures 1.0 Fixed - Repack by IllidanS4

News and changes:
AMI's intro (accessible from the menu) has adjusted framerate, to lessen the voice desynchronisation, also removed the background noise in the cutscene.
Game initially starts in the menu, not in the jail cell.
Saves directory is set relative to the game directory, you don't have to change it.
The game uses DDrawCompat wrapper to fix color issues (no registry modification needed).

Also included are the bonus folders with the soundtrack (FLAC), development screenshots, drafts, and old documents.
In the W4 folder, there's my unpacker "walotcres.exe". If you run it, it will start unpacking all resources from the game - sounds, images, animations, music etc. from the .rsc files one by one.

Have fun and provide mirrors, please!
Old 09-15-2016, 02:39 PM

Echo of the Past

Trying to imagine what the lore would be, if Thrall had convinced Alexstrasza and her dragons to assist him and Doomhammer (!) in an orcish rebellion against the Alliance...

In a universe in which the orcs had no demon curse and did their actions in WCII without influence...

(In return for him killing her son Deathwing, but still...)

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 09-15-2016 at 02:41 PM..
Old 09-15-2016, 02:54 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
Trying to imagine what the lore would be, if Thrall had convinced Alexstrasza and her dragons to assist him and Doomhammer (!) in an orcish rebellion against the Alliance...

In a universe in which the orcs had no demon curse and did their actions in WCII without influence...

Hey, why bother holding a grudge against mortals when they're not going to be around in another few heartbeats anyway? Immortals are all that matter! That's the only explanation I can think of for how that'd work.

It's not the only weird once-lore for the horde getting dragons again. In one of the early RPG books, there was a reference to Deathwing selling black dragons into slavery to the orcs. And we're not talking WC2 era either. Apparently, the orcs thought the black dragons looked really regal.
Old 09-15-2016, 03:06 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
Hey, why bother holding a grudge against mortals when they're not going to be around in another few heartbeats anyway? Immortals are all that matter! That's the only explanation I can think of for how that'd work.

It's not the only weird once-lore for the horde getting dragons again. In one of the early RPG books, there was a reference to Deathwing selling black dragons into slavery to the orcs. And we're not talking WC2 era either. Apparently, the orcs thought the black dragons looked really regal.
Deathwing is just a dick. That's a timeless absolute in Warcraft.

I'm starting to thing his "Daval Prestor King of Alterac" thing was less about ruling Azeroth, and more of an elaborate practical joke / trolling attempt to kill time.

EDIT: And had this game come out, I may have been disappointed there was no explanation for how Deathwing survived BtDP.

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 09-15-2016 at 03:11 PM..
Old 09-15-2016, 03:09 PM

Elune

Quote:
Deathwing is just a dick. That's a timeless absolute in Warcraft.

I'm starting to thing his "Daval Prestor King of Alterac" thing was less about ruling Azeroth, and more of an elaborate practical joke / trolling attempt to kill time.
Personally, I suspect he just didn't want to have a lower title than Alexstrasza anymore.
Old 09-15-2016, 03:13 PM

Eternal

Quote:

You know, I've seen people arguing about that problem with Doomhammer so many times, and yet, I've never understood its real merit. Whether it was post-Warcraft III, when people argued how Doomhammer could be an honorable figure when he enslaved and raped a sentient being, or even before, when people argued how exactly could any dragons work for the Horde after all that, I simply asked myself; how do we know that Doomhammer and the majority of the orcs on Azeroth knew that the dragons serving them were anything but tamed beasts? It were the Blackhand brothers who orchestrated the Dragonqueen's capture, and it was the Dragonmaw Clan alone who held her captive and raised her progeny. Doomhammer and most of the Horde could simply have been kept in dark about this.

Quote:
EDIT: And had this game come out, I may have been disappointed there was no explanation for how Deathwing survived BtDP.
Baron, I sometimes have the feeling that you haven't really watched the cutscenes. Both because of this, and both because of your insistence that there were no lions used on any of the Alliance shields.

Notice the shadow and the sound.

Last edited by Marthen; 09-15-2016 at 03:20 PM..
Old 09-15-2016, 04:09 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
Baron, I sometimes have the feeling that you haven't really watched the cutscenes. Both because of this, and both because of your insistence that there were no lions used on any of the Alliance shields.

Notice the shadow and the sound.
Nah, I'm gonna call your bluff.

There is no way that, in 1996, you saw a cutscene of Horde forces besieging the Portal, forces including grunts and a dragon's shadow flying overhead, a dragon that flies overhead but is never seen entering the Portal (a Portal that doesn't have any ripples or signs of being entered when we see it a second later), the dragon's shadow giving a generic dragon shriek and NOT Deathwing's custom audio that existed for his unit... and interpreted that to mean Deathwing was back from the dead and had just made a beeline through the Portal to Azeroth.

None of that talk was on the AOL forums, the roleplaying guilds, the WarDraft community... it would be like seeing a knight in the ToD human ending and interpreting it to be Lothar.

No, I wager none of that speculation started until magazines started showing pictures of Deathwing smoking a hookah, and fans had to determine for themselves how he was still alive.

Even then... in WCIII days, I'm pretty sure a major complaint against the BtDP -> DotD mistaken chronology in the manual was that Deathwing clearly lived in DotD so he could die in BtDP.
Old 09-15-2016, 04:37 PM

Eternal

You know, I'm really glad how everything came out. I really prefer that Alexstrasza and Deathwing became uber powerful Aspects.

I like my uber powerful demigods.
Old 09-15-2016, 05:35 PM

Huntress

Tsunami of users, ended
Old 09-16-2016, 12:01 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Nah, I'm gonna call your bluff.

There is no way that, in 1996, you saw a cutscene of Horde forces besieging the Portal, forces including grunts and a dragon's shadow flying overhead, a dragon that flies overhead but is never seen entering the Portal (a Portal that doesn't have any ripples or signs of being entered when we see it a second later), the dragon's shadow giving a generic dragon shriek and NOT Deathwing's custom audio that existed for his unit... and interpreted that to mean Deathwing was back from the dead and had just made a beeline through the Portal to Azeroth.

None of that talk was on the AOL forums, the roleplaying guilds, the WarDraft community... it would be like seeing a knight in the ToD human ending and interpreting it to be Lothar.

No, I wager none of that speculation started until magazines started showing pictures of Deathwing smoking a hookah, and fans had to determine for themselves how he was still alive.

Even then... in WCIII days, I'm pretty sure a major complaint against the BtDP -> DotD mistaken chronology in the manual was that Deathwing clearly lived in DotD so he could die in BtDP.
It wasn't a bluff.

Anyway, that the community did not realize or even think of this isn't much of an argument, really. Half the literature works with the concept of putting in something subtle the way that the readers do not realize what exactly it is at first, and then revealing what it is way later on.

Nevertheless, I was not saying that Blizzard intended that dragon to be Deathwing at first (they could, but who really knows). Just that they could have used that cutscene to explain how is he alive retrospectively, and it would have been as good explanation as any.
Old 09-16-2016, 12:31 AM

Elune

Man, the Dark Portal was tiny during the Second War II.

Tags
warcraft