Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #5326  
Old 01-19-2018, 11:21 AM
Valladares Valladares is offline

Critter
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
I disagree. A mediocre film is mediocre regardless of whether it was conceived by a single man's fantasy vision or a corporate studio's development team.
I agree, you can make something with all the love in the world and it can still suck. I don't blame Disney one bit for this. Rogue One was great, and Ep 7 was pretty decent. Ep 8 was a failure of individuals who worked on the project, and I bet you they love Star Wars and they poured their hearts and souls into the project.
Reply With Quote
  #5327  
Old 01-22-2018, 05:40 AM
Lon-ami Lon-ami is offline

Elune
Lon-ami's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Spain
Posts: 12,518
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Default


Things keep looking worse and worse for Disney Star Wars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
They did most of that. It's called Star Wars: Rebels. Even got some of the clones from TCW hanging around and a fight or two with Vader.
With a cast of nobodies. Give me young Leia and his foster father doing cool shit across the galaxy. Some rogue clone commandos working against the empire. Separatists joining republicans against the new order. Boba Fett growing up. Darth Vader hunting jedi and other rebels, while coping with his new identity. Make Obi-Wan not retire right after RotS, give him some new adventures against the empire before settling to watch for Luke.

Let us see the birth of the rebellion, and give it to us in a cohesive trilogy, not standalone products.

There's pretty much zero point at continuing the story after RotJ anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
I disagree. A mediocre film is mediocre regardless of whether it was conceived by a single man's fantasy vision or a corporate studio's development team.
The worldbuilding from the prequels was exquisite, and I loved them as a kid, just because they looked cool. Still do in part, and even prefer that setting to that of the original trilogy, because it had a bigger scope in so many ways. Even if the storytelling was garbage, there's more than that to a movie.

All of the new movies so far feel like trash, even worse than the prequels. They don't do anything right. Most of the stuff in screen is old crap, there for nostalgia bait. The setting is boring and bland, there's barely anything alien to it, just random Earth landscapes.

The ratings in China should prove that nostalgia is the only reason why these movies can sell any tickets at all. Even a fucking Jumanji videogame trash reboot is doing better than THE franchise.
__________________


Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Reply With Quote
  #5328  
Old 01-22-2018, 09:07 AM
Anansi Anansi is offline

Master Worldbuilder
Anansi's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: A Dying World
Posts: 18,015

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
The ratings in China should prove that nostalgia is the only reason why these movies can sell any tickets at all.
It seems to me that most people nostalgic about the original sextet, such as yourself, kind of hate the new series.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
And the HRE was a meme that went too far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Reply With Quote
  #5329  
Old 01-22-2018, 09:52 AM
Noitora Noitora is offline

Elune
Noitora's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 34,639
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
It seems to me that most people nostalgic about the original sextet, such as yourself, kind of hate the new series.
So in twenty years, people will be nostalgic about this nonet?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
Yeah but where would this forum be if not for people speculating endlessly about things Blizzard doesn't give a shit about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Reply With Quote
  #5330  
Old 01-22-2018, 10:18 AM
Kakwakas Kakwakas is offline

Elune
Kakwakas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US
Posts: 8,126

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
With a cast of nobodies. Give me young Leia and his foster father doing cool shit across the galaxy. Some rogue clone commandos working against the empire. Separatists joining republicans against the new order. Boba Fett growing up. Darth Vader hunting jedi and other rebels, while coping with his new identity. Make Obi-Wan not retire right after RotS, give him some new adventures against the empire before settling to watch for Luke.

Let us see the birth of the rebellion, and give it to us in a cohesive trilogy, not standalone products.

There's pretty much zero point at continuing the story after RotJ anyway.
So you're afraid of anything new, especially new characters, and want the prequel plague that has been ravaging the film industry for the past ~20 years (along with the remake plague) to continue.


Quote:
The worldbuilding from the prequels was exquisite, and I loved them as a kid, just because they looked cool. Still do in part, and even prefer that setting to that of the original trilogy, because it had a bigger scope in so many ways. Even if the storytelling was garbage, there's more than that to a movie.
In other words, nostalgia is the only reason you like the prequels at all.

Quote:
All of the new movies so far feel like trash, even worse than the prequels. They don't do anything right. Most of the stuff in screen is old crap, there for nostalgia bait. The setting is boring and bland, there's barely anything alien to it, just random Earth landscapes.
Do you want nostalgia bait or do you want new characters and stories? Make up your fucking mind.

Quote:
The ratings in China should prove that nostalgia is the only reason why these movies can sell any tickets at all. Even a fucking Jumanji videogame trash reboot is doing better than THE franchise.
Or maybe China has a different culture and has different tastes.
__________________
Member #14
Reply With Quote
  #5331  
Old 01-22-2018, 03:54 PM
Anansi Anansi is offline

Master Worldbuilder
Anansi's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: A Dying World
Posts: 18,015

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
So in twenty years, people will be nostalgic about this nonet?
You know it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
And the HRE was a meme that went too far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Reply With Quote
  #5332  
Old 02-02-2018, 08:55 PM
Kakwakas Kakwakas is offline

Elune
Kakwakas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US
Posts: 8,126

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

There's a Solo trailer
(spoilers) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g3_CFmnU7k
__________________
Member #14
Reply With Quote
  #5333  
Old 02-03-2018, 09:59 AM
Slowpokeking Slowpokeking is offline

Not Sure If Trolling...
Slowpokeking's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 8,985

Default

I hope it's good.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5334  
Old 02-04-2018, 05:27 PM
Kakwakas Kakwakas is offline

Elune
Kakwakas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US
Posts: 8,126

Darkmoon Card: Elementals


[edit]


Can't say I'm looking forward to this one.
__________________
Member #14

Last edited by Kakwakas; 02-07-2018 at 10:47 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #5335  
Old 02-19-2018, 05:16 AM
Lon-ami Lon-ami is offline

Elune
Lon-ami's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Spain
Posts: 12,518
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Default


Pretty good analysis.
__________________


Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Reply With Quote
  #5336  
Old 02-19-2018, 07:46 AM
Noitora Noitora is offline

Elune
Noitora's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 34,639
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Default

You are determined to have everyone hate Star Wars.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
Yeah but where would this forum be if not for people speculating endlessly about things Blizzard doesn't give a shit about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Reply With Quote
  #5337  
Old 02-19-2018, 08:00 AM
Commander Rotal Commander Rotal is offline

Sha of Disappointment
Commander Rotal's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 13,000

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
You are determined to have everyone hate Star Wars.
True, but that's not a nice thing to say to Disney.
Reply With Quote
  #5338  
Old 02-19-2018, 09:05 AM
SmokeBlader SmokeBlader is offline

Elune
SmokeBlader's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 30,978

Default

The only disaster for Star Wars has been Battlefront 2. Star Wars as a whole isn't a disaster but it's stagnating and it's too early for a conclusion. The social justice aspect is not genuine and reeks of corporate marketing. It's obvious Kathleen wanted to catch a new audience with the return of SW and not rely on aging fans (who happen to be white males in their 30s and 40s). Identity politics are a thing now so it's obvious they'd latch unto it. The early 70s and 90s material also latched onto back then popular trends and it was as subtle and deep as today. See aliens and humans looking like 70s rock stars, or grim dark edgy stories of the 90s culminating with the Vong story arc in terms of edgyness and political parallels to the rise of Islamic terrorism in the western world.

On the topic of diminishing toy sales there are several factors. The prequels were widely panned but the toys and various merchandise like books and comics sold very well. Why? Because it had new designs for aliens, new worlds and cool looking characters like the clone troopers or the various droids and jedi knights. What do the new movies have? And this ignoring the retarded writing and such. 90% of the cast are humans dressed in brown and grey clothes. Finn is a black dude in a brown jacket. Rose is a chubby asian girl in a brown jumpsuit. Holdo is an old ady with a stupid haircut in a grey dress. Leia is another old lady in black and grey dresses. And surprise, the toys that sell the most are troopers and masked Kylo. Adam Driver Kylo doesn't sell because it's Snape in a very boring space suit.
And the new aliens are very ugly. They share the same brown skin color, downright ugly features that no kid would ever want to play with. They all look like walking scrotums, Snoke as well. Just look at this comparison. I'm sure Butthole eyes Kanata sells like hotcakes.

They have also gotten the habit of movie DLC by leaving stories incomplete to make you buy supplemental material understand the full story. The basis for the sequel trilogy is relegated to a trilogy of books you HAVE to read to understand why everything is the way it is, only for it to be pissed all over by TLJ. RO's character development was left to 3 books again, the story of Battlefront 2 doesn't make much sense unless you read it's tie-in novel and a comic that explains a pivotal moment in the campaign. Unlike the EU they now force you to get all these thing by spreading the story across several mediums, which is not worth investing time into because it's all very, very mediocre.

As George said he sold his child to white slavers who never gave a shit about the property beyond squeezing every cent out of it based on popular trends. TLJ proved it by ignoring and even destroying the consistency of the entire new canon. It was a commercial that forgot to mask itself with consistency and story like the other movies did.

Last edited by SmokeBlader; 02-19-2018 at 09:08 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #5339  
Old 02-19-2018, 11:21 AM
Lon-ami Lon-ami is offline

Elune
Lon-ami's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Spain
Posts: 12,518
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
You are determined to have everyone hate Star Wars.
Just informing why it's a trainwreck. The more these things are widely known, the less chances these mistakes are repeated.

I don't hate the new Star Wars. I just don't care, which in retrospective, is a much worse sentiment to have towards something. My childhood memories and the franchise I love are still there, it's just over and won't be updated ever again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
The only disaster for Star Wars has been Battlefront 2. Star Wars as a whole isn't a disaster but it's stagnating and it's too early for a conclusion. The social justice aspect is not genuine and reeks of corporate marketing. It's obvious Kathleen wanted to catch a new audience with the return of SW and not rely on aging fans (who happen to be white males in their 30s and 40s). Identity politics are a thing now so it's obvious they'd latch unto it. The early 70s and 90s material also latched onto back then popular trends and it was as subtle and deep as today. See aliens and humans looking like 70s rock stars, or grim dark edgy stories of the 90s culminating with the Vong story arc in terms of edgyness and political parallels to the rise of Islamic terrorism in the western world.

On the topic of diminishing toy sales there are several factors. The prequels were widely panned but the toys and various merchandise like books and comics sold very well. Why? Because it had new designs for aliens, new worlds and cool looking characters like the clone troopers or the various droids and jedi knights. What do the new movies have? And this ignoring the retarded writing and such. 90% of the cast are humans dressed in brown and grey clothes. Finn is a black dude in a brown jacket. Rose is a chubby asian girl in a brown jumpsuit. Holdo is an old ady with a stupid haircut in a grey dress. Leia is another old lady in black and grey dresses. And surprise, the toys that sell the most are troopers and masked Kylo. Adam Driver Kylo doesn't sell because it's Snape in a very boring space suit.
And the new aliens are very ugly. They share the same brown skin color, downright ugly features that no kid would ever want to play with. They all look like walking scrotums, Snoke as well. Just look at this comparison. I'm sure Butthole eyes Kanata sells like hotcakes.

They have also gotten the habit of movie DLC by leaving stories incomplete to make you buy supplemental material understand the full story. The basis for the sequel trilogy is relegated to a trilogy of books you HAVE to read to understand why everything is the way it is, only for it to be pissed all over by TLJ. RO's character development was left to 3 books again, the story of Battlefront 2 doesn't make much sense unless you read it's tie-in novel and a comic that explains a pivotal moment in the campaign. Unlike the EU they now force you to get all these thing by spreading the story across several mediums, which is not worth investing time into because it's all very, very mediocre.

As George said he sold his child to white slavers who never gave a shit about the property beyond squeezing every cent out of it based on popular trends. TLJ proved it by ignoring and even destroying the consistency of the entire new canon. It was a commercial that forgot to mask itself with consistency and story like the other movies did.
The cool factor is generally lacking, it's all humans everywhere, and most of the "new" vehicles are just poor reskins of originals.

Say what you want about the prequels, but their worldbuilding and visuals were exquisite.
__________________


Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Reply With Quote
  #5340  
Old 02-19-2018, 01:03 PM
Anansi Anansi is offline

Master Worldbuilder
Anansi's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: A Dying World
Posts: 18,015

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
Just informing why it's a trainwreck. The more these things are widely known, the less chances these mistakes are repeated.
I'm sure we'll all bear this information in mind as we work on our upcoming blockbuster films.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
And the HRE was a meme that went too far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Reply With Quote
  #5341  
Old 02-19-2018, 02:46 PM
Kakwakas Kakwakas is offline

Elune
Kakwakas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US
Posts: 8,126

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
I'm sure we'll all bear this information in mind as we work on our upcoming blockbuster films.
__________________
Member #14
Reply With Quote
  #5342  
Old 02-19-2018, 05:50 PM
Slowpokeking Slowpokeking is offline

Not Sure If Trolling...
Slowpokeking's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 8,985

Default

TLJ is really really bad.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5343  
Old 04-26-2018, 10:55 PM
Kakwakas Kakwakas is offline

Elune
Kakwakas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US
Posts: 8,126

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

A new Star Wars cartoon has been announced.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/star-wars-re...ser-1825546331
__________________
Member #14
Reply With Quote
  #5344  
Old 04-27-2018, 01:35 AM
Commander Rotal Commander Rotal is offline

Sha of Disappointment
Commander Rotal's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 13,000

Default

"Anime-inspired", "pilot-centric" and "The Force Retcon-era" all light up alarm signs in my head but i trust Papa Felony enough to give it a chance. And by chance i mean watch in on Youtube because screw you Disney i'm not paying for another stream service. Convince me and we can talk about buying the DvDs.
Reply With Quote
  #5345  
Old 05-11-2018, 04:46 PM
Kakwakas Kakwakas is offline

Elune
Kakwakas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US
Posts: 8,126

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

I guess the live action Star Wars show is still going to be a thing and it's going to take place 7 years after RotJ.
https://www.polygon.com/2018/5/11/17...-force-awakens
__________________
Member #14
Reply With Quote
  #5346  
Old 05-25-2018, 10:22 AM
Vineyard Vineyard is offline

Arch-Druid
Vineyard's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,083

Default

Watched Solo today.

And...it was good.

Not super special awesome, but good. Maybe a bit to played save, but I won't complain.

The Maul Cameo was however a surprise.
Reply With Quote
  #5347  
Old 05-25-2018, 03:19 PM
Commander Rotal Commander Rotal is offline

Sha of Disappointment
Commander Rotal's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 13,000

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vineyard View Post
Watched Solo today.

And...it was good.

Not super special awesome, but good. Maybe a bit to played save, but I won't complain.
They pumped some serious time and money into basically reshooting most of the movie. Most of the really worrisome stuff we heard about was the original version; then they crunched and apparently delivered a halfway watchable product. I might catch it on Amazon as a rental one day but as a western-y heist movie prequel origin story starring Han Solo played by a bad actor it just ticks every single "nope"-checkbox for me. Also:

Quote:
The Maul Cameo was however a surprise.
They told us Vader was in the movie. Now i hear Vader is not in the movie. Did they cut Vader for this cameo? Is Vader in it but nobody talks about it (can't really believe that one)? I was mildly interested in seeing the imperial side of things, the Stardestroyers and Vader. Aaaand apparently no Vader.
Reply With Quote
  #5348  
Old 05-25-2018, 03:40 PM
Gurzog Gurzog is offline

Elune
Gurzog's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 13,983
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

Default

The movie was good but the only bad parts were the stuff about the romance between qira and han and well the Robot Revolutionary Front robot

The cameo was kind of wtf.

I mean this is set like very close to episode 4 if i understood it so it is weird with maul.
__________________
Btag is Hulk#23939
Reply With Quote
  #5349  
Old 05-27-2018, 07:09 AM
Reinhardt Reinhardt is offline

Arch-Druid
Reinhardt's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,013

Default

Emilia Clarke is just bad.
And they try to make her look badass and it's worse.

The good thing with the end of Game of Thrones is that she will stop being cast in sci-fi movies and get to realize her full potential in Daytime made for TV movies.
Reply With Quote
  #5350  
Old 05-28-2018, 03:46 PM
BaronGrackle BaronGrackle is offline

Echo of the Past
BaronGrackle's Avatar
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 15,015

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
As George said he sold his child to white slavers who never gave a shit about the property beyond squeezing every cent out of it based on popular trends. TLJ proved it by ignoring and even destroying the consistency of the entire new canon. It was a commercial that forgot to mask itself with consistency and story like the other movies did.
It's so bizarre. The Disney animated canon is enjoying its Revival Era, Pixar is still going strong, and the Marvel Cinematic Universe is still setting the trend for comic book movies.

Yet with Star Wars, it's like its belly was cut open and is being left to bleed out.

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 05-28-2018 at 07:11 PM..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
entertainment, kid stuff, star wars

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.