Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 01-19-2018, 11:21 AM

Critter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
I disagree. A mediocre film is mediocre regardless of whether it was conceived by a single man's fantasy vision or a corporate studio's development team.
I agree, you can make something with all the love in the world and it can still suck. I don't blame Disney one bit for this. Rogue One was great, and Ep 7 was pretty decent. Ep 8 was a failure of individuals who worked on the project, and I bet you they love Star Wars and they poured their hearts and souls into the project.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:40 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Things keep looking worse and worse for Disney Star Wars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
They did most of that. It's called Star Wars: Rebels. Even got some of the clones from TCW hanging around and a fight or two with Vader.
With a cast of nobodies. Give me young Leia and his foster father doing cool shit across the galaxy. Some rogue clone commandos working against the empire. Separatists joining republicans against the new order. Boba Fett growing up. Darth Vader hunting jedi and other rebels, while coping with his new identity. Make Obi-Wan not retire right after RotS, give him some new adventures against the empire before settling to watch for Luke.

Let us see the birth of the rebellion, and give it to us in a cohesive trilogy, not standalone products.

There's pretty much zero point at continuing the story after RotJ anyway.

Quote:
I disagree. A mediocre film is mediocre regardless of whether it was conceived by a single man's fantasy vision or a corporate studio's development team.
The worldbuilding from the prequels was exquisite, and I loved them as a kid, just because they looked cool. Still do in part, and even prefer that setting to that of the original trilogy, because it had a bigger scope in so many ways. Even if the storytelling was garbage, there's more than that to a movie.

All of the new movies so far feel like trash, even worse than the prequels. They don't do anything right. Most of the stuff in screen is old crap, there for nostalgia bait. The setting is boring and bland, there's barely anything alien to it, just random Earth landscapes.

The ratings in China should prove that nostalgia is the only reason why these movies can sell any tickets at all. Even a fucking Jumanji videogame trash reboot is doing better than THE franchise.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 01-22-2018, 09:07 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
The ratings in China should prove that nostalgia is the only reason why these movies can sell any tickets at all.
It seems to me that most people nostalgic about the original sextet, such as yourself, kind of hate the new series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:52 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
It seems to me that most people nostalgic about the original sextet, such as yourself, kind of hate the new series.
So in twenty years, people will be nostalgic about this nonet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:18 AM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Quote:
With a cast of nobodies. Give me young Leia and his foster father doing cool shit across the galaxy. Some rogue clone commandos working against the empire. Separatists joining republicans against the new order. Boba Fett growing up. Darth Vader hunting jedi and other rebels, while coping with his new identity. Make Obi-Wan not retire right after RotS, give him some new adventures against the empire before settling to watch for Luke.

Let us see the birth of the rebellion, and give it to us in a cohesive trilogy, not standalone products.

There's pretty much zero point at continuing the story after RotJ anyway.
So you're afraid of anything new, especially new characters, and want the prequel plague that has been ravaging the film industry for the past ~20 years (along with the remake plague) to continue.

Quote:
The worldbuilding from the prequels was exquisite, and I loved them as a kid, just because they looked cool. Still do in part, and even prefer that setting to that of the original trilogy, because it had a bigger scope in so many ways. Even if the storytelling was garbage, there's more than that to a movie.
In other words, nostalgia is the only reason you like the prequels at all.

Quote:
All of the new movies so far feel like trash, even worse than the prequels. They don't do anything right. Most of the stuff in screen is old crap, there for nostalgia bait. The setting is boring and bland, there's barely anything alien to it, just random Earth landscapes.
Do you want nostalgia bait or do you want new characters and stories? Make up your fucking mind.

Quote:
The ratings in China should prove that nostalgia is the only reason why these movies can sell any tickets at all. Even a fucking Jumanji videogame trash reboot is doing better than THE franchise.
Or maybe China has a different culture and has different tastes.
Member #14
Old 01-22-2018, 03:54 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
So in twenty years, people will be nostalgic about this nonet?
You know it.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-02-2018, 08:55 PM

Elune

There's a Solo trailer
(spoilers) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g3_CFmnU7k
Member #14
Old 02-03-2018, 09:59 AM

Not Sure If Trolling...

I hope it's good.
Old 02-04-2018, 05:27 PM

Elune

[edit]

Can't say I'm looking forward to this one.
Member #14

Last edited by Kakwakas; 02-07-2018 at 10:47 AM..
Old 02-19-2018, 05:16 AM

Elune

Pretty good analysis.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 02-19-2018, 07:46 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

You are determined to have everyone hate Star Wars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:00 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
True, but that's not a nice thing to say to Disney.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:05 AM

Elune

The only disaster for Star Wars has been Battlefront 2. Star Wars as a whole isn't a disaster but it's stagnating and it's too early for a conclusion. The social justice aspect is not genuine and reeks of corporate marketing. It's obvious Kathleen wanted to catch a new audience with the return of SW and not rely on aging fans (who happen to be white males in their 30s and 40s). Identity politics are a thing now so it's obvious they'd latch unto it. The early 70s and 90s material also latched onto back then popular trends and it was as subtle and deep as today. See aliens and humans looking like 70s rock stars, or grim dark edgy stories of the 90s culminating with the Vong story arc in terms of edgyness and political parallels to the rise of Islamic terrorism in the western world.

On the topic of diminishing toy sales there are several factors. The prequels were widely panned but the toys and various merchandise like books and comics sold very well. Why? Because it had new designs for aliens, new worlds and cool looking characters like the clone troopers or the various droids and jedi knights. What do the new movies have? And this ignoring the retarded writing and such. 90% of the cast are humans dressed in brown and grey clothes. Finn is a black dude in a brown jacket. Rose is a chubby asian girl in a brown jumpsuit. Holdo is an old ady with a stupid haircut in a grey dress. Leia is another old lady in black and grey dresses. And surprise, the toys that sell the most are troopers and masked Kylo. Adam Driver Kylo doesn't sell because it's Snape in a very boring space suit.
And the new aliens are very ugly. They share the same brown skin color, downright ugly features that no kid would ever want to play with. They all look like walking scrotums, Snoke as well. Just look at this comparison. I'm sure Butthole eyes Kanata sells like hotcakes.

They have also gotten the habit of movie DLC by leaving stories incomplete to make you buy supplemental material understand the full story. The basis for the sequel trilogy is relegated to a trilogy of books you HAVE to read to understand why everything is the way it is, only for it to be pissed all over by TLJ. RO's character development was left to 3 books again, the story of Battlefront 2 doesn't make much sense unless you read it's tie-in novel and a comic that explains a pivotal moment in the campaign. Unlike the EU they now force you to get all these thing by spreading the story across several mediums, which is not worth investing time into because it's all very, very mediocre.

As George said he sold his child to white slavers who never gave a shit about the property beyond squeezing every cent out of it based on popular trends. TLJ proved it by ignoring and even destroying the consistency of the entire new canon. It was a commercial that forgot to mask itself with consistency and story like the other movies did.

Last edited by SmokeBlader; 02-19-2018 at 09:08 AM..
Old 02-19-2018, 11:21 AM

Elune

Quote:
Just informing why it's a trainwreck. The more these things are widely known, the less chances these mistakes are repeated.

I don't hate the new Star Wars. I just don't care, which in retrospective, is a much worse sentiment to have towards something. My childhood memories and the franchise I love are still there, it's just over and won't be updated ever again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
The only disaster for Star Wars has been Battlefront 2. Star Wars as a whole isn't a disaster but it's stagnating and it's too early for a conclusion. The social justice aspect is not genuine and reeks of corporate marketing. It's obvious Kathleen wanted to catch a new audience with the return of SW and not rely on aging fans (who happen to be white males in their 30s and 40s). Identity politics are a thing now so it's obvious they'd latch unto it. The early 70s and 90s material also latched onto back then popular trends and it was as subtle and deep as today. See aliens and humans looking like 70s rock stars, or grim dark edgy stories of the 90s culminating with the Vong story arc in terms of edgyness and political parallels to the rise of Islamic terrorism in the western world.

On the topic of diminishing toy sales there are several factors. The prequels were widely panned but the toys and various merchandise like books and comics sold very well. Why? Because it had new designs for aliens, new worlds and cool looking characters like the clone troopers or the various droids and jedi knights. What do the new movies have? And this ignoring the retarded writing and such. 90% of the cast are humans dressed in brown and grey clothes. Finn is a black dude in a brown jacket. Rose is a chubby asian girl in a brown jumpsuit. Holdo is an old ady with a stupid haircut in a grey dress. Leia is another old lady in black and grey dresses. And surprise, the toys that sell the most are troopers and masked Kylo. Adam Driver Kylo doesn't sell because it's Snape in a very boring space suit.
And the new aliens are very ugly. They share the same brown skin color, downright ugly features that no kid would ever want to play with. They all look like walking scrotums, Snoke as well. Just look at this comparison. I'm sure Butthole eyes Kanata sells like hotcakes.

They have also gotten the habit of movie DLC by leaving stories incomplete to make you buy supplemental material understand the full story. The basis for the sequel trilogy is relegated to a trilogy of books you HAVE to read to understand why everything is the way it is, only for it to be pissed all over by TLJ. RO's character development was left to 3 books again, the story of Battlefront 2 doesn't make much sense unless you read it's tie-in novel and a comic that explains a pivotal moment in the campaign. Unlike the EU they now force you to get all these thing by spreading the story across several mediums, which is not worth investing time into because it's all very, very mediocre.

As George said he sold his child to white slavers who never gave a shit about the property beyond squeezing every cent out of it based on popular trends. TLJ proved it by ignoring and even destroying the consistency of the entire new canon. It was a commercial that forgot to mask itself with consistency and story like the other movies did.
The cool factor is generally lacking, it's all humans everywhere, and most of the "new" vehicles are just poor reskins of originals.

Say what you want about the prequels, but their worldbuilding and visuals were exquisite.

Old 02-19-2018, 01:03 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Just informing why it's a trainwreck. The more these things are widely known, the less chances these mistakes are repeated.
I'm sure we'll all bear this information in mind as we work on our upcoming blockbuster films.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-19-2018, 02:46 PM

Elune

Quote:
I'm sure we'll all bear this information in mind as we work on our upcoming blockbuster films.
Member #14
Old 02-19-2018, 05:50 PM

Not Sure If Trolling...

TLJ is really really bad.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:55 PM

Elune

A new Star Wars cartoon has been announced.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/star-wars-re...ser-1825546331
Member #14
Old 04-27-2018, 01:35 AM

Sha of Disappointment

"Anime-inspired", "pilot-centric" and "The Force Retcon-era" all light up alarm signs in my head but i trust Papa Felony enough to give it a chance. And by chance i mean watch in on Youtube because screw you Disney i'm not paying for another stream service. Convince me and we can talk about buying the DvDs.
Old 05-11-2018, 04:46 PM

Elune

I guess the live action Star Wars show is still going to be a thing and it's going to take place 7 years after RotJ.
https://www.polygon.com/2018/5/11/17...-force-awakens
Member #14
Old 05-25-2018, 10:22 AM

Arch-Druid

Watched Solo today.

And...it was good.

Not super special awesome, but good. Maybe a bit to played save, but I won't complain.

The Maul Cameo was however a surprise.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:19 PM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vineyard View Post
Watched Solo today.

And...it was good.

Not super special awesome, but good. Maybe a bit to played save, but I won't complain.
They pumped some serious time and money into basically reshooting most of the movie. Most of the really worrisome stuff we heard about was the original version; then they crunched and apparently delivered a halfway watchable product. I might catch it on Amazon as a rental one day but as a western-y heist movie prequel origin story starring Han Solo played by a bad actor it just ticks every single "nope"-checkbox for me. Also:

Quote:
The Maul Cameo was however a surprise.
They told us Vader was in the movie. Now i hear Vader is not in the movie. Did they cut Vader for this cameo? Is Vader in it but nobody talks about it (can't really believe that one)? I was mildly interested in seeing the imperial side of things, the Stardestroyers and Vader. Aaaand apparently no Vader.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:40 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

The movie was good but the only bad parts were the stuff about the romance between qira and han and well the Robot Revolutionary Front robot

The cameo was kind of wtf.

I mean this is set like very close to episode 4 if i understood it so it is weird with maul.
Btag is Hulk#23939
Old 05-27-2018, 07:09 AM

Arch-Druid

Emilia Clarke is just bad.
And they try to make her look badass and it's worse.

The good thing with the end of Game of Thrones is that she will stop being cast in sci-fi movies and get to realize her full potential in Daytime made for TV movies.
Old 05-28-2018, 03:46 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
It's so bizarre. The Disney animated canon is enjoying its Revival Era, Pixar is still going strong, and the Marvel Cinematic Universe is still setting the trend for comic book movies.

Yet with Star Wars, it's like its belly was cut open and is being left to bleed out.

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 05-28-2018 at 07:11 PM..

Tags
entertainment, kid stuff, star wars