Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 05-17-2016, 04:33 PM
Lord Grimtale Lord Grimtale is offline

Elune
Lord Grimtale's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The Slaughtered Lamb
Posts: 21,994
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Default

James Rolfe has all my respect.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 05-17-2016, 04:53 PM
Warlock Warlock is offline

Keeper of Lore
Warlock's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,493
BattleTag: Warlock#1498

Default

Finally was able to watch it. Yeah, what is wrong with people? He explained himself pretty well and I totally agree - if they had treated it like the Star Trek reboot where the old Ghostbusters were handing the torch to a new team (i.e. not a remake) I would be way more willing to give it a shot. Of course, the trailer still looks pretty awful, so maybe not
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 05-17-2016, 09:37 PM
Commander Rotal Commander Rotal is offline

Sha of Disappointment
Commander Rotal's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 13,088

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
*sees Ghostbusters trending on Twitter*

Oh, the Angry Video Game Nerd said he isn't going to see the new Ghostbusters movie and the internet is outraged (OUTRAGED I TELL YOU!) about how much of a misogynistic sexist pig he is.

*sigh*
This place isn't any better. I fondly remember being bullied out of this board for not watching Episode 7.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 05-17-2016, 10:57 PM
Arashi Arashi is offline

Eternal
Arashi's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 4,796

Default

Don't know why they would.

since its fucking episode 4.

Anyway, yeah, guy gives good reasons and people cry "MUH FEMINISMZ" Those people are incapable of any intelligent decision. It's a blatant cash grab aimed at the lowest common denominator.

If it bombs its going to be epic. There will be fields of strawmen as agenda driven fuckwits trip over themselves with their cognitive dissonance in order to attempt to save face.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 05-17-2016, 11:07 PM
Lord Grimtale Lord Grimtale is offline

Elune
Lord Grimtale's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The Slaughtered Lamb
Posts: 21,994
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Default

Jesus Christ, the level of salt in this one article is so mountainous that I can actually taste it.

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/2910..._medium=button

It's like people didn't even watch his video at all but decided to slam him anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 05-17-2016, 11:52 PM
Arashi Arashi is offline

Eternal
Arashi's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 4,796

Default

The level of sheer stupidity and hypocrisy in that one small article is almost ungodly. Literally bitching and making a big mess because one person said that they're not going to watch a movie.

No wonder fojar hates forsaken fans.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 05-18-2016, 04:31 AM
SmokeBlader SmokeBlader is offline

Elune
SmokeBlader's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 30,978

Default

The best part of all this is the movie's defenders only embarrassing themselves by attacking a man for expressing his opinions.

Thank you /tv/







Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 05-18-2016, 05:01 AM
Lord Grimtale Lord Grimtale is offline

Elune
Lord Grimtale's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The Slaughtered Lamb
Posts: 21,994
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Default

They've said some nasty things about his wife too, calling her a "gold digger for marrying such a man-baby". After reading James heartfelt recollection of the troubles he was going through with his wife and her pregnancy and how thankful they were that their baby made it through the process, the kinds of attacks him and his family are getting by these shitbags is nothing short of fucking disgusting.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cir7Q-CW0AAGxz3.jpg:large

http://cinemassacre.com/2013/05/12/little-nerd/
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 05-18-2016, 05:10 AM
SmokeBlader SmokeBlader is offline

Elune
SmokeBlader's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 30,978

Default

Western privileged men in a nutshell. If we were to stick to their tactics we should right now post their gold digger comments all over the net, call their boss and try to get the fired etc. It says a lot about western society where people are so pampered that this is a big concern to ''ruin'' your day.

This movie is one giant fuck up from a PR perspective. Even the director insulted those who criticized the trailer. The so called enlightened journalists even turning on the women who didn't like it. Like the ''There is a special place in hell for the women who won't watch this movie'' article.

Last edited by SmokeBlader; 05-18-2016 at 05:15 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 05-18-2016, 05:15 AM
Noitora Noitora is offline

Elune
Noitora's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 34,662
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
Western privileged men in a nutshell. If we were to stick to their tactics we should right now post their gold digger comments all over the net, call their boss and try to get the fired etc. It says a lot about western society where people are so pampered that this is a big concern to ''ruin'' your day.
So what you're saying is that you're triggered? Says the man with the best internet in the world.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
Yeah but where would this forum be if not for people speculating endlessly about things Blizzard doesn't give a shit about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 05-18-2016, 01:50 PM
Warlock Warlock is offline

Keeper of Lore
Warlock's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,493
BattleTag: Warlock#1498

Default

There is a new trailer out... I hear it's better than the first, not that that's hard. I watched it on my phone without sound (perhaps the best way to watch since I don't need to hear the bad jokes? ).

I will say, the ghost designs seem pretty cool. Movie still looks dumb though. Also there was a dumb scene where the black chick tried to stage dive and everyone moved away. I assume because racism or something... I dunno, wasn't funny...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 05-18-2016, 02:00 PM
Commander Rotal Commander Rotal is offline

Sha of Disappointment
Commander Rotal's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 13,088

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
There is a new trailer out... I hear it's better than the first, not that that's hard. I watched it on my phone without sound (perhaps the best way to watch since I don't need to hear the bad jokes? ).

I will say, the ghost designs seem pretty cool. Movie still looks dumb though. Also there was a dumb scene where the black chick tried to stage dive and everyone moved away. I assume because racism or something... I dunno, wasn't funny...
This one? Of so: definitely better (yeah, not saying much but still, at least they tried this time, i guess), makes it clear that it's a Reboot, not a Sequel. Also seems to confirm more of the... troublesome leaks that seem to turn out true....AW FOR FUCK SAKE there it is, there's the big fat endboss spoiled in the fucking trailer. And it's gloriously stupid, if you don't know yet... MAN you're in for a stinky treat. Go read the leaks guys. This shit makes Game Of Thrones look good.

One sidenote though - anyone else got reminded of the ad they filmed in the movies? Taking a wild guess that the overlay speak for the trailer is a tv ad in-universe.


Guess who. No really, guess, i know who you're thinking of, but guess again.
(I'm going to look so foolish if this was discussed before.)

Last edited by Commander Rotal; 05-18-2016 at 02:03 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 05-18-2016, 02:06 PM
Warlock Warlock is offline

Keeper of Lore
Warlock's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,493
BattleTag: Warlock#1498

Default

Yeah that's the one. Even without sound it did seem SUPER spoilery to me.

Let me see if I have this right:
Some ghost possesses Thor and he shuts off the containment grid instead of Walter Peck.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 05-18-2016, 02:06 PM
Bullroarer Bullroarer is offline

Arch-Druid
Bullroarer's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,560

Default

how much money did they pay Chris Hemsworth to go on camera and do nothing but act like an idiot.
__________________
Blood For the Blood God
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 05-18-2016, 02:10 PM
Commander Rotal Commander Rotal is offline

Sha of Disappointment
Commander Rotal's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 13,088

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
Yeah that's the one. Even without sound it did seem SUPER spoilery to me.

Let me see if I have this right:
Some ghost possesses Thor and he shuts off the containment grid instead of Walter Peck.
You want full-on spoilers of just a snippit? (Keep in mind the leaks seem legit but a bit fragmented, stuff could still change.)
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 05-18-2016, 02:14 PM
Warlock Warlock is offline

Keeper of Lore
Warlock's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,493
BattleTag: Warlock#1498

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Rotal View Post
You want full-on spoilers of just a snippit? (Keep in mind the leaks seem legit but a bit fragmented, stuff could still change.)
I don't care, I'm not gonna see it anyways
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 05-18-2016, 02:18 PM
SmokeBlader SmokeBlader is offline

Elune
SmokeBlader's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 30,978

Default

Fun fact: None of the cast said anything about the movie ever since the trailer, except the black lady going sassy for a bit on twitter and the director falling from his ivory tower.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 05-18-2016, 02:21 PM
Commander Rotal Commander Rotal is offline

Sha of Disappointment
Commander Rotal's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 13,088

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
I don't care, I'm not gonna see it anyways
Well then. Potentially (like, 99% likely, for those who care) full-movie-plot spoiler:

There's this guy Rowland or Rowlan, and he's some kind of natural psychic, he sees ghosts all the time and it drives him mad. He starts working on some kind of ghost-spreading-machine that unleashes the usually mostly-hidden ghosts upon the World. The Ghostbusters are a pretty new thing, just starting out at the start of the movie, and while ghosts are real the world at large doesn't believe in them. During the film they stay at a China Restaurant; the firewatch they teased in the trailers makes a cameo but they can't afford the rent. At some point the Ghostbusters figure out what Rowland's up to and stop him. Rowland dies but returns as ghost and takes over Thor, who's btw apparently dumb like a bag of hammers in this movie, objectified by one of the Busters and, even apparantlier, the best character of the movie. Possessed Thorwland finishes the machine, at which point the big street-chaos-scenes of the trailers happen, they try to cross the streams but it doesn't stop Ghost!Rowland; then something happens that the leak isn't quite clear on, a dimensional portal opens and a voice asks "CHOOSE THE FORM!" - and one of the Busters says "well that Ghost-sign is pretty cute!". Cue Rowland taking on the form of a giant Ghostbusters-mascot-ghost. They defeat it and the ending teases Zuul.

Should this turn out wrong... i don't care either way. But this trailer makes it look veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery likely.


Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
Fun fact: None of the cast said anything about the movie ever since the trailer
Funner fact: that's because of a gag-order. Apparently Melissa McCarthy was a huge Ghostbusters Cartoon-fan as a child and caused such a shitshow on the set attacking the director over dumb shit he pulled in the movie that they made them all sign a contract that none of them can say anything negative about the movie. And since there's apparently nothing positive to say... i'm starting to warm up to the actresses, at least. That's some Grade-A passive shitflinging.

Last edited by Commander Rotal; 05-18-2016 at 02:24 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 05-18-2016, 02:33 PM
Warlock Warlock is offline

Keeper of Lore
Warlock's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,493
BattleTag: Warlock#1498

Default

Yeah, that sounds stupid as hell. Seriously, a "ghost machine"?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 05-18-2016, 02:36 PM
Commander Rotal Commander Rotal is offline

Sha of Disappointment
Commander Rotal's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 13,088

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
Yeah, that sounds stupid as hell. Seriously, a "ghost machine"?
To me it sounds like Ghosts in this universe are, most of the time, hidden from humans, as if they are out-of-phase, like that one episode of TNG where Ro and LaForge can run around invisible and go through walls, with only the occasional ghost wandering into actual human-real world. The machine reads as if it tears down the walls between real world and ghost world, or something; would fit with the dimensional rift at the end.

edit: found the leak again: https://web.archive.org/web/20160309..._ghostbusters/

Last edited by Commander Rotal; 05-18-2016 at 02:39 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 05-18-2016, 02:38 PM
Noitora Noitora is offline

Elune
Noitora's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 34,662
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
Fun fact: None of the cast said anything about the movie ever since the trailer, except the black lady going sassy for a bit on twitter and the director falling from his ivory tower.
Probably because no matter what stance they take, someone will be triggered.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
Yeah but where would this forum be if not for people speculating endlessly about things Blizzard doesn't give a shit about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 05-18-2016, 02:57 PM
Warlock Warlock is offline

Keeper of Lore
Warlock's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,493
BattleTag: Warlock#1498

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Rotal View Post
To me it sounds like Ghosts in this universe are, most of the time, hidden from humans, as if they are out-of-phase, like that one episode of TNG where Ro and LaForge can run around invisible and go through walls, with only the occasional ghost wandering into actual human-real world. The machine reads as if it tears down the walls between real world and ghost world, or something; would fit with the dimensional rift at the end.

edit: found the leak again: https://web.archive.org/web/20160309..._ghostbusters/
Yeah but just the concept of this "ghost machine" seems dumb to me. Like, in the original you had all this stuff about how the building was this big focal point to draw ghosts - I think there were like, murders during its construction and it was built on this specific site that had spiritual significance, etc etc. I mean, it's also "goofy" but it fits with a lot of the ghost tropes and such (i.e. like about haunted houses and so forth) which makes it great. There was a whole history behind why it worked the way it did. I feel like "we made a machine that shifts the dimensions" just comes across as weird sci-fi nonsense. I suppose that machine could have all this history too, but I doubt it. I mean, it's a machine...

I suppose the whole thing feeds into why I'm not feeling this movie in general. It feels very "streamlined" - I'm not sure that's the right word, but you know... like, the original was very carefully written... there were layers of things in that script - the humor was subtle a lot of the time... this seems to be a lot of slapstick gags, over the top, in your face stuff... I just don't get the impression that they really thought too hard about crafting the script like the original clearly did...
__________________

Last edited by Warlock; 05-18-2016 at 03:00 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 05-18-2016, 03:01 PM
Commander Rotal Commander Rotal is offline

Sha of Disappointment
Commander Rotal's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 13,088

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
Yeah but just the concept of this "ghost machine" seems dumb to me. Like, in the original you had all this stuff about how the building was this big focal point to draw ghosts - I think there were like, murders during its construction and it was built on this specific site that had spiritual significance, etc etc. I mean, it's also "goofy" but it fits with a lot of the ghost tropes and such (i.e. like about haunted houses and so forth) which makes it great. There was a whole history behind why it worked the way it did. I feel like "we made a machine that shifts the dimensions" just comes across as weird sci-fi nonsense. I suppose that machine could have all this history too, but I doubt it. I mean, it's a machine...
Yes, it's certainly dumbed down. However... it pains me to defend the movie but considering all the crazy shit Egon's tech could do to ghosts (tire them out, catch them, imprison them, plus all the weird gadgets in the cartoon and probably a comic or two) ... it's not like it's entirely unprecedented. (We also don't know yet if the machine doesn't have occult features buuuut i'd doubt it at this point.)

Edit for your edit: i feel ya. When i was a child i grew up mostly on television, including the Ghostbusters cartoon. I was... dunno, old enough to have early memories of seeing the first movie for the first time, and i absolutely hated it because it wasn't funny, it wasn't colorful and the actors they chose looked NOTHING like the original cartoon characters! It took me a few years to realize that it was supposed to be a comedy. From that reason alone the new one doesn't work for me.

Ah man, Extreme Ghostbusters was the shit too.

Last edited by Commander Rotal; 05-18-2016 at 03:04 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 05-18-2016, 03:04 PM
Noitora Noitora is offline

Elune
Noitora's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 34,662
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Default

Ghostbusters ain't Civil War. People aren't going to sit for a 3 hour comedy with world-building.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
Yeah but where would this forum be if not for people speculating endlessly about things Blizzard doesn't give a shit about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 05-18-2016, 03:17 PM
Warlock Warlock is offline

Keeper of Lore
Warlock's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,493
BattleTag: Warlock#1498

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
Ghostbusters ain't Civil War. People aren't going to sit for a 3 hour comedy with world-building.
1.) They did for the original
2.) I reaaaally hope this movie isn't going to be 3 hours
3.) You can do world building without spending an absorbent amount of time on it. I feel like the original is a perfect example - it's a fun, enjoyable comedy but then if you want to look deeper there's interesting stuff there too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Rotal View Post
Yes, it's certainly dumbed down. However... it pains me to defend the movie but considering all the crazy shit Egon's tech could do to ghosts (tire them out, catch them, imprison them, plus all the weird gadgets in the cartoon and probably a comic or two) ... it's not like it's entirely unprecedented. (We also don't know yet if the machine doesn't have occult features buuuut i'd doubt it at this point.)

Edit for your edit: i feel ya. When i was a child i grew up mostly on television, including the Ghostbusters cartoon. I was... dunno, old enough to have early memories of seeing the first movie for the first time, and i absolutely hated it because it wasn't funny, it wasn't colorful and the actors they chose looked NOTHING like the original cartoon characters! It took me a few years to realize that it was supposed to be a comedy. From that reason alone the new one doesn't work for me.

Ah man, Extreme Ghostbusters was the shit too.
I mean, yeah in some ways. But I think there is a little bit of a "science overcoming the supernatural" interesting-ness in there too. Edit: And I'd say at least they did a decent job of trying to explain why Egon's gadgets worked - he had been studying this stuff for ages and collecting ectoplasm samples. You get the sense he would at least have enough research knowledge to build something like the ghost trap or the proton pack, even if they were kind of fantastical overall.

And I don't count the cartoon here - I mean, by their very nature cartoons are going to suspend disbelief a bit more and lean towards the "goofy" and dare I say "cartoony" end of the spectrum. If the cartoon had a ghost machine I think it's less of an issue in that medium since that's the kind of thing you expect there.

BTW, I've actually never seen the cartoon I'm sure it's good tho.

Anyways, I'm harping on that thing but to be honest, I could live with that if I thought the rest of the movie would be good. I think though it's just an example of the reason it won't be...
__________________

Last edited by Warlock; 05-18-2016 at 03:21 PM..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
duplicate thread, entertainment

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.