Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 11-06-2016, 01:49 PM

Sentinel Queen

Default Guild cities - a scenario which will fail like every other ambition

So I want to write about my idea for guild cities and you are of course equally free to post on it. Like I could stop anyone

I have that "vision" about guild cities since Cata but now I think it is ready to be implemented in a meaningful way, with world quests and proper microphasing etc. Basically those would be outposts of meaningful size but with a racial theme and use existing bases on the original continents rather than in new environment. On PvP-Realms that could have even make bigger impact and cater back to the old world so it would not be empty.
Those guild cities would ideally go along with something I call realm management, that is a collection of zones a certain race expects to hold to assert a safe domain which is naturally contested by the other faction or neutral parties. To enforce this the domain controller (racial leader) would hand out a stronghold in a contested territory to a guild with the obligation to pacify and defend the region.

That concept is easier to accomplish in the Eastern Kingdoms than on Kalimdor as we have certain historical regions as acknowledged domains. For example no one would doubt that Elwinn, Westfall, Duskwood and Redridge are part of Stormwinds domain and that Quel'Danas, Ghostlands and Eversong are integral to Quel'thalas. It is more of a challenge to put together domains on Kalimdor since Tauren were nomad and Night Elves are supposed to have controlled around 80% of all zones once.
Those domains would offer boni to the guilds settled there based on the amount of zones safely under control of the domains with influence fading by time with them becoming contested again through other factions or detoriation of guard posts and the like. The control of zones would be a mix of world quests and dynamic events.
Being in a guild would have more benefits and those quests would gift gear and other prizes with a connection to guild colors and symbols. And it would be a groundwork for a thing I would call Realms of Warcraft but that is another idea and would lead too far. Guild Strongholds are mostly far away from the capitals (except for Tauren and Undead for the moment) because the racial capitals will provide a starting point for quests nearer to them while the Stronghold would be for the zones further away.

Some examples for such domains (notice that some zones are overlapping as to create conflicts and make sure that zone control is fluid and engaging and world pvp maybe alive at well):

1. Kingdom of Stormwind
Zones of Control: Elwinn, Westfall, Duskwood, Redridge, Northern Stranglethorn, Arathi Highlands
Guild Stronghold: Stromgarde

2. Forsaken Kingdom of Lordaeron
Zones of Control: Tirisfal, Silverpine Forest, Hillsbrad Foothills, Western Plaguelands, Arathi Highlands, Hinterlands
Guild Stronghold: Andorhal

3. Khaz Modan: Dun Morath, Loch Modan, Wetlands, Hinterlands, Badlands, Twilight Highlands
Guild Stronghold: Aerie Peak

4. United Orcish Clans: Durotar, Northern Barrens, Ashenvale, Northern Stranglethorn, Badlands, Twilight Highlands
Guild Stronghold: New Kargath

5. United Tauren Federation: Mulgore, Southern Barrens, Stonetalon Mountain, Desolace, Feralas, Tousand Needles
Guild Stronghold: Sunrock Retreat

6. Night Elf Empire: Teldrassil, Darkshore, Ashenvale, Stonetalon Mountains, Feralas, Winterspring, Felwood
Guild Stronghold: Feathermoon Stronghold

I have no ideas how to implement Gnomes, Goblins, Trolls and Worgen in a meaningful way since they lack history or majority control of zones. Both Draenai and Blood Elves would need an increasement of zones as their impact is almost as low otherwise. For example Quel'thalas could be a meaningful realm by addition of Arathi Highlands and Northeron though there still would be needed a shared zone with an alliance domain to maintain conflict and engagement.
In a variation Draenai and Blood Elves could exist with a reduced domain as safe bets for less workload for smaller guilds but with lesser gains or less boni than the others. Likewise the guild strongholds would be just a small village with less protection likely only needing protection from Naga or Amani raids.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaximillian View Post
If BL stands for Blizzard, then yeah.

Last edited by Afaslizo; 11-06-2016 at 01:52 PM..
Old 11-06-2016, 02:59 PM

Eternal

Questions:

- would a guild have to choose one of these locations to settle for the entire expansion or such?

- why are some strongholds so far away? A stronghold in Stromgarde to protect Elwynn doesn't seem so effective.

Other than that, this seems awesome! It fits within my hope that in the near future Blizz will focus on race as much as they are focusing now on classes.

---------

Blood Elves could have Quel'Danas, Eversong, Ghostlands and the Eastern Plaguelands.

Draenei could have Azuremyst, Bloodmyst and perhaps a portal to Outland too. A region doesn't necessarily need to be large, as long as there is enough content.

Goblins could have Azshara, the Lost Isles and Kezan.

Worgen could have Gilneas, Teldrassil and the Darkshore.

Last edited by Ethenil; 11-06-2016 at 03:01 PM..
Old 11-06-2016, 03:13 PM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Mod FYI - Moved from Warcraft Lore to WoW thread per OP's request.

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Old 11-06-2016, 03:13 PM

Sentinel Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afaslizo View Post
Guild Strongholds are mostly far away from the capitals (except for Tauren and Undead for the moment) because the racial capitals will provide a starting point for quests nearer to them while the Stronghold would be for the zones further away.
And I would like them to settle them either permanently or at least with a lengthy cooldown.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
Mod FYI - Moved from Warcraft Lore to WoW thread per OP's request.
Thank you
Quote:
Old 11-06-2016, 03:44 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afaslizo View Post
And I would like them to settle them either permanently or at least with a lengthy cooldown.
Oh, right, cool.

Seems really nice, except I think having some guys choose such a major thing for everyone within the guild seems a bit much. It also makes it harder for everyone to be able to see all the content. For class halls, you can individually go and level another class, but here most people wouldn't really have a choice.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:56 PM

Eternal

I feel like offering some kind of Guild Garrison concept would be neat, especially if you were able to take some of the best concepts from garrisons and order halls to make them work.

I'm less concerned about the element of letting guild leadership decide how the place looks to the detriment of other members of the guild, because that's honestly a problem for any number of organization choices made by guild leadership. If the vast majority of guilds are smaller friends-and-family guilds, then this just gives them a playground to modify as they see fit. And if you've got the ability to visit other guild's garrisons like we could in WoD, that solves the problem of being able to see that content.

I'm MORE concerned about Blizzard's refrain when it comes to instanced content that splinters up the playerbase. If having the garrison sequester players was bad, and if we're not going to find some way to encourage players to coalesce into larger guilds in order to guarantee that they see other people when logged into the game, then what makes a guild garrison better compared to the WoD garrison?

Lore Observation, Systems Design, and other science dropped at Power Word: Remix

Expect nothing and anything will surprise you.
Old 11-07-2016, 05:18 AM

Elune

I'm not really fond of tying a major gameplay element, and the choices therein, to a guild. Firstly, because guilds are traditionally non-obligatory. Secondly, because I'm a big completionist and having choices limited by choices made for my guild would not really appeal to me.
Old 11-07-2016, 08:02 AM

Sentinel Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
I'm not really fond of tying a major gameplay element, and the choices therein, to a guild. Firstly, because guilds are traditionally non-obligatory. Secondly, because I'm a big completionist and having choices limited by choices made for my guild would not really appeal to me.
That does not seem like an argument for me as most Mythic achievements need a structure with disciplin and coordination far above the majority of guilds and since you have to participate in these structures to accompish completition a guild would be far less demanding in comparision.

As an example for myself: I am really without motivation to do mythics and raids because after ten years as tank player the toxic behavior has finally eroded my patience and thus I got to my gear level almost through worldquests alone and while 858 will not raise any reaction from the raider crowd far beyond me it allows me to play the content I want with ease.

So concerning your complaint I would not be able to achieve the raid goals for completition but I am still able to manage such world quests tied to guilds. For you we could tie those achievements to the guild achievement tab so it will never miss in your personal completition list.
Quote:

Tags
gameplay, world of warcraft