Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 07-09-2017, 02:56 PM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

I recommend putting the who/when in a spreadsheet and then running it through a timezone script, otherwise it's a nightmare trying to plan. Happy to help with that if you need it.

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Old 07-09-2017, 03:01 PM

Needs A Hug

PST = GMT -7
CST = GMT -6
EST = GMT -5

Everyone on the other side of the ocean will generally be either be GMT +0 or GMT +1. Exception being eastern euros.

I'm on the east coast. Brits are always five hours ahead of me, and pretty much everyone else is six hours ahead of me.
Old 07-09-2017, 03:09 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dithon1 View Post
I'm on the east coast. Brits are always five hours ahead of me, and pretty much everyone else is six hours ahead of me.
There is actually about a week or two where they are only four hours ahead because British Summer time ends before Daylight Savings time ends.
Old 07-09-2017, 03:35 PM

Ethermancer - Admin

Quote:
PST = GMT -7
CST = GMT -6
EST = GMT -5

Everyone on the other side of the ocean will generally be either be GMT +0 or GMT +1. Exception being eastern euros.

It's not just about what time people are in, but the range of time they can stick around. Sure GMT+1 and GMT-7 can get on for half an hour or so on a Sunday, but if you want to run a campaign, someone in Cali has to devote their whole afternoon while someone in Germany is falling asleep. And what about folks in places like Asia and the Pacific (e.g. Ruinshin)?

Old 07-09-2017, 03:42 PM

Elune

Everyone should just use Zulu time or UTC so everyone is on the same page!
Old 07-10-2017, 09:03 PM

Site Staff - Moderator
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

Quote:
A recent Dark Heresy session had one of the players solicit the services of a high-class prostitute.

A few (failed) willpower rolls later and the GM had his character getting pegged in the ass and loving every minute of it.
See, far as I'm concerned that's entirely a-okay if everyone in the group is fine with it. I don't include sexual content in my game, but if your players are fine with that kind of content, then why not? Again though, this is just another problem that can be solved with the old "Talk to your DM/players" bit of advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusus View Post
I'm opening to running (DM'ing) a game of something via Roll20 for SoL'ers if there's interest.
I'm always coming up with new ideas for characters, so I might well be interested, availabilities pending (because that six hour gap is a bitch).
Old 07-11-2017, 12:04 AM

Elune

Now I have a seventh player in my game. I originally only wanted only five.

Our games usually have six or seven players but I didn't want that many for my first time.

Trying not to let it dissuade me but shit. LMoP is balanced around 4-5 PC's and SKT 5-6. I guess it's not that big of a problem but goddamn. I can't boot anyone without coming off as a dick and damaging my credibility, either.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:15 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostwolf View Post

Our games usually have six or seven players but I didn't want that many for my first time.

Trying not to let it dissuade me but shit. LMoP is balanced around 4-5 PC's and SKT 5-6. I guess it's not that big of a problem but goddamn. I can't boot anyone without coming off as a dick and damaging my credibility, either.
Do you think some will just drop out on their own?
Old 07-11-2017, 08:13 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostwolf View Post

Oof. I've only ever had to run a campaign for five people (and even that shrank down to four after a few sessions), and that's about as many as I would ever really want to handle. It's hard to give everyone their time in the Sun with any more than that, and that's also where combat starts to break down. Rounds take longer, people get distracted, and the action economy screws up in favour of the party (which really throws off the balance of combat without adding more mobs, which only exacerbates the other problems).

I get that you don't want to turn anyone away, but at some point you have to let them know that you're just one man, and that this is your first time behind the wheel. Alternately, it's great that you've gotten such a response, but maybe it'd be best if one of these players were to also try their hands and GMing, and you split into two adventures.

If you'd had more experience, I might say you could keep your original plan, but adjust LMoP to accommodate the extra players, and then have the campaign split up immediately thereafter. You then run SKT while another players picks up another module and runs that one (As I understand it, most of the other campaign modules also have provisions in place for parties starting the campaign post LMoP).
Old 07-11-2017, 10:41 AM

Ethermancer - Admin

How does splitting work in D&D? Entirely separate campaigns and DM's or just split attention?

Old 07-11-2017, 11:01 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
How does splitting work in D&D? Entirely separate campaigns and DM's or just split attention?
I don't think there's any one way to do it. Heck, I'm not even sure if it's a viable idea, or whether it would immediately torpedo the campaign, I was just spitballing to see if there's anything that could be done to help him out.

But the way I figured, if he's going to be running a campaign for upwards of seven players, he might well be overwhelmed with trying to juggle all of them. He was hoping to only deal with five (and generally, I'd say three to five is about where you want to aim), and has ended up with more than that. I've heard of groups that actually use two GMs to run a single campaign, but usually that's a question of division of labour.

I had in mind that, in the event even more players expressed an interest in joining his game, he'd encourage one of them to pick up and prep another campaign altogether, so that a single party would split into two and have their own adventures, with the possibility of some kind of crossover later on, West Marches style.

So to answer your question, the first one?
Old 07-13-2017, 05:31 PM

Elune

Prepped all the way to level 4, basically. Maps upon maps upon maps. One issue I'm facing is that Roll20 doesn't allow images over a certain size, which sucks because quite a few of the my battle maps exceed their limit. I've still managed to upload them through some crafty editing in Paint here and there.

I'm sure someone might think I'm over-prepping but having the maps and tokens on hand like this makes it just so effortless to prep that I've got several sessions worth of material ready to go.

Had my players roll stats, too. 4d6 drop the lowest and if they didn't like their rolls they could use the standard array. Only one player (R) opted to use the standard array.

Also note: the numbers are listed in the order they were rolled. My players get to choose where they allocate their stats, so don't think someone with a 10 first means they're locked into having 10 strength.

D: 10, 10, 16, 15, 14, 12 (playing drow bladelock)
Li: 13, 17, 14, 14, 6, 18 (playing hill dwarf cleric)
W: 10, 10, 12, 12, 12, 16 (playing human arcane trickster)
R: 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8 (playing human paladin)
S: 15, 11, 18, 5, 8, 11 (playing wood elf revised ranger [UA])
Le: 8, 15, 8, 8, 16, 15 (race/class undecided)
M: 13, 14, 12, 12, 8, 18 (playing human fighter)
Old 07-13-2017, 06:10 PM

Arch-Druid

Darkmoon Card: Twisting Nether

I believe you can simulate larger maps by decreasing the grid size, though I'm not completely sure.
Or if the problem is the size of the file you can just cut it into pieces and place them as images on the background layer.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:31 AM

Guru of Gilneas

I have finally found a good gaming group consisting of my fiancé, her best friend, and two other close friends, who are a couple. Everyone else has gamed together before, but their previous group was riddled with relationship drama, primarily by the ex-boyfriend of one of their other friends as well as the non-committal status of another player and friend of ours.

We have been playing D&D off-and-on again for the past few months in a campaign being ran by one of that couple. We have a human necromancer, a hill dwarf Forge cleric, a mountain dwarf barbarian, and a half-orc monk. The campaign has been fun so far, and I think our GM has done a good job with running her setting and adjudicating rules. She also (naturally) wants to play, though this will likely thrust me into the role of the GM. I don't mind, but I much prefer the role of the player.

My fiancé, her best friend, and I would also like to play other RPG systems (e.g. Fate Core/FAE, Numenera, Fantasy Age, etc.). The problem, however, is that our current GM gets a little too glued to her trends, so there is little chance of running other games with our group until she gets tired of D&D or jumps on her next bandwagon. Even then, we will have to pray that the bandwagon she jumps on will be something that the rest of us will want to play. As she is currently incredibly fixated on rolling d20s, that rules out Fate (4dF) and Fantasy Age (3d6). It's a bit ironic given how she did a lot of RP using 1st Edition 7th Sea's d10 roll and keep system.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:41 AM

Arch-Druid

Darkmoon Card: Twisting Nether

Anyone here interested in a (probably text only) Roll20 game?
Preferably a Warcraft game using Mutants & Masterminds 3e, though I'd be open to GM other stuff.
I live in Germany, so UTC+1, though I'd probably be able to do this rather late.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:03 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Drider X Succubus

I mean I GUESS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:53 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
Drider X Succubus

I mean I GUESS.
What the heck are you talking about?

Anyhow, here's a question for those of you who're partial to all things tabletop and roleplaying: Has anyone picked up Starfinder? It's been out for a little while now, and I haven't really heard a lot about it.

Now granted, I've been more or less absorbed by my current campaign (using the d&d 5e rules and set in the Forgotten Realms setting), so I've not really payed much attention to it, but I was curious as to whether any of you folks had any interest in Paizo's new universe (or technically I think it's the same universe as their Golarion setting, but in the future?).
Old 10-22-2017, 12:31 PM

Revenant - Moderator

So, are we doing anything or is this a Discord-only thing?

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.
Old 10-22-2017, 01:08 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
So, are we doing anything or is this a Discord-only thing?
I wasn't aware of any plans discord or otherwise

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 10-26-2017, 12:31 AM

Priestess of the Moon

Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon

Yeah, in the Gaming - Tabletop section.
...Triumvirate has it right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
Triumvirate; you weird.
Welcome to the club. Have a drink on the house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
I like this guy.
If you're interested in creating custom factions & heroes in Warcraft 3, I mod that over at The Hive Workshop (Also at Wc3C.net).

My primary Project Thread:
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads...ehere_.303712/

Tags
dnd, dungeons, gameplay, lightning bolt!