Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Fan Works

Old 03-06-2016, 06:26 PM

The sneaky Mechanic

Default Warcraft Space and Story: A tour through game design and lore [ VIDEO]

So about a month ago I had an idea for a series that mixes lore and game design to talk about how player experiences are made and how we participate in the story. So over a vast number of flubbed takes I was finally able to put together a rough pilot going through Maraudon.

If you do check it out then I'd absolutely love to hear any feedback you guys have because I really like this idea and want to make it work.

If this is in the wrong forum or shouldn't have been posted my apologies and I'm happy to take it down.

Last edited by Stormcaller; 11-21-2016 at 07:36 PM..
Old 03-19-2016, 07:13 PM

The sneaky Mechanic

So here's the next crack at the idea going through Ragefire. Hopefully it flows better you guys find it more interesting.
Old 03-19-2016, 07:38 PM

World Builder

Neat

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 04-24-2016, 11:15 PM

The sneaky Mechanic

After reading Chronicle I knew I really badly wanted to go through Uldaman but I wasn't actually able to put the thing together until well after the fact.

Since people here tend to be a bit more lore savvy than your average players are there any popular theories/interpretations of the three repeating Uldaman murals that I'd missed?
Old 06-26-2016, 11:00 PM

The sneaky Mechanic

I haven't wanted to bump this page with each video so now that there's a few of them since Uldaman I thought I'd put it up.

Stratholme was a doozy, there's so much to talk about in how it was made and looks so it was either cut and streamline like crazy or have a 40 minute video.

Last edited by Stormcaller; 11-21-2016 at 07:20 PM..
Old 11-21-2016, 07:35 PM

The sneaky Mechanic

Have another batch of videos including this one, Scarlet Monastery, Razorfen Kraul and Sunken Temple.

Still not sure I've worked out the balance between old lore, new lore and the design parts of it but I hope it's getting better.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:10 PM

Chimaera

I've got to really applaud you for all of these, They're really well-done and well-produce, you've clearly done your homework and you have a library of truly interesting observations and analysis. Your videos have really given me a lot more appreciation for especially the design and artwork of the dungeons.

Thanks for sharing and thanks for taking the time to make them.
Old 11-22-2016, 08:31 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

This is some great work! So far, I've only seen the first, but I'll be checking out the rest.

A lot of thought can go into the design of these spaces. Most players will just rush through. Those who take the time to observe their surroundings, however, will get a much deeper experience. I loved the way you tied the layout of Mauradon into the various stories that the dungeon tries to tell. The one about evolution never occurred to me.

These remind me a bit of sckchui's videos on architecture in Morrowind--how the shapes of houses and the layouts of cities relay the culture of the builders. While WoW's towns and cities tend to be more game-oriented, Blizzard did pay a lot of attention to detail in the dungeons, and your videos show this.

I'm gathering that you're running an extremely high-level character through the Vanilla-era dungeons. Do you have any plans on how to handle the more recent dungeons?

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 11-22-2016, 10:01 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HlaaluStyle View Post
A lot of thought can go into the design of these spaces. Most players will just rush through. Those who take the time to observe their surroundings, however, will get a much deeper experience. I loved the way you tied the layout of Mauradon into the various stories that the dungeon tries to tell. The one about evolution never occurred to me.
Agreed, it's one thing Blizzard has kept consistent quality on throughout the game's life (Though no necessarily for every dungeon *glares at Cataclysm Wind throne nonsense*)

I always enjoyed walking through Maraudon and the Scarlet Monastery and later through Molten Core and Sunwell, just marveling at some of the little details, I'm glad the series has touched on all the thought that goes into the places.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 11-23-2016, 01:23 AM

The sneaky Mechanic

Thanks for the kind words guys, one thing that's amazed me with the reception to these is how much people like the parts focusing on tiny details or random doodads and what they do for the experience which is the stuff I personally get the most excited about and am super glad others do too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HlaaluStyle View Post
I'm gathering that you're running an extremely high-level character through the Vanilla-era dungeons. Do you have any plans on how to handle the more recent dungeons?
If it gets to the point I'm covering non-trivial dungeons or raids I guess I'll have to pay some people/call in favours to run the dungeon slowly with me while I get some decent footage.
Old 11-24-2016, 12:50 PM

Banished

These are really cool.

Credit to Hlaalu for bring this to my notice (I tend not to check this Sub-Forum and thus had missed this thread) and props to you for all the work you've put in.

I'd like to get around to giving some more specific feedback if I can (will need to set aside some time to really take in the vids, have only skimmed a couple at the moment), but just wanted to acknowledge we appreciate the effort.

We may like to shitpost a lot here at SoL but it's stuff like this that brought most of us here originally, even if we only lurked. <3
Old 03-11-2017, 08:26 PM

The sneaky Mechanic

Normally I wait for a few to build up before bumping this thread but I figure as this was a collab with Destron (Hlaalustyle) it may warrant a post of its own.

Last edited by Stormcaller; 03-11-2017 at 08:30 PM..
Old 03-11-2017, 10:40 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcaller View Post
Normally I wait for a few to build up before bumping this thread but I figure as this was a collab with Destron (Hlaalustyle) it may warrant a post of its own.
Yup, I had a lot of fun doing this with Stormcaller.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 09-14-2017, 02:52 AM

The sneaky Mechanic

It's been quite a while since I got around to doing one of these. So there's not that much of a backlog (only Dire Maul west and this one) but I hope you guys like them if you decide to check them out.

Old 09-14-2017, 07:48 AM

World Builder

Awesome, glad to see you're around Stormcaller.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 09-14-2017, 11:16 AM

The sneaky Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Awesome, glad to see you're around Stormcaller.
I'm always around and checking what's going on here and on the Discord channel, don't comment very often because there's usually someone already putting forward what are close enough to my opinions.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:11 PM

Chimaera

Hey, your videos are great and always entertaining and informative

I'm really enjoying going through your catalog and seeing all the things that I missed playing through myself.

I hope you keep it up!

I'm impressed by the editing and the pacing of your videos, particularly how you keep the camera focused on what is being discussed at the time. You also move along at a steady but focused pace, keeping the narration from dragging which prevents the desire to fast forward the videos. Thanks for sharing!

Last edited by Al'Akir; 09-14-2017 at 09:03 PM..
Old 11-14-2017, 04:00 PM

Eternal

Loved the video! The quality has improved a lot, and I'm looking forward to the next ones

EDIT:

Hey, I'd love to see Karazhan in your video series! It's gotta be one of the instances with the most details to analyze!

Tags
gameplay, lore