Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

View Poll Results: Whatchu Tink?
Bad 0 0%
Breaking Bad 5 45.45%
Don't Care 5 45.45%
No really, it's actually cool! DON'T LEAVE 4 36.36%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-16-2015, 03:46 PM

Sha of Disappointment

I wouldn't even want to taste metal kodo shit.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:49 PM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Biggest Horde turn-off: ugly architecture. (Other trolls, blood elves and (new) Forsaken are exceptions.)
Old 03-16-2015, 04:20 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Biggest Horde turn-off: ugly architecture. (Other trolls, blood elves and (new) Forsaken are exceptions.)
You're just too prissy for the Horde. Go back to your islands goblin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:17 PM

World Builder

I like Org's design and Warsong Hold is honestly my favorite town ingame, but I do agree some work was needed to make the places feel more livable/lived in.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 03-16-2015, 09:21 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
I like the exterior of Forsaken architecture, but the interior could use a bit of work since it's kind of cramped.

I really like the German Expressionistic style of it though, and the inn is my favorite piece of Forsaken architecture since it also resembles a crypt. Exactly the kind of place a corpse would want to sleep in for the night.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:25 AM

Priestess of the Moon

Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon

This topic is now about the merits of virtual architecture.

Seriously, though, I wonder whether my version will have the Cataclysm changes or if it'll be like the original... Experience has me leaning towards the latter.
...Triumvirate has it right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
Triumvirate; you weird.
Welcome to the club. Have a drink on the house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
I like this guy.
If you're interested in creating custom factions & heroes in Warcraft 3, I mod that over at The Hive Workshop (Also at Wc3C.net).

My primary Project Thread:
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads...ehere_.303712/
Old 03-17-2015, 08:43 AM

Problemsolver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumvirate View Post
This topic is now about the merits of virtual architecture.

Seriously, though, I wonder whether my version will have the Cataclysm changes or if it'll be like the original... Experience has me leaning towards the latter.
Nope, the former. All versions of WoW were updated with the Cataclysm. So if you haven't ever seen the old world, you don't really know what you're missing out on.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:51 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Which is a shame. Questwise it's not even close to as bad as before, Vanilla was pretty bland... but the revamp also cost' us hundrets of quests (admittedly most of them involving collecting bear asses) on both continents and the old stories are now, for the most part, gone, and those zones that carry on from the old version will mean nothing to newcomers (the repopulation of the Pestlands, for example.). Wouldn't be so bad for me if it wasn't stuck in Cataclysm of all things. Not so much because i hate Cata (i do, though WoD has tackled it from the top spot of the shit pyramid) but because many a zone is now eternally in a state of disrepair and chaos.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:55 AM

Priestess of the Moon

Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post
Nope, the former. All versions of WoW were updated with the Cataclysm. So if you haven't ever seen the old world, you don't really know what you're missing out on.
AH! I misused "former" vs. "latter". Mah bad. No, I expect(ed) since I had access to everything else (Pandaren & Goblin & Worgen races, Death Knight hero class, etc), that it would be the "new" world of Cataclysm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Rotal View Post
Which is a shame. ...
Yeah, totally! I didn't get out of the Valley of Trials last time, but dangit if I didn't want to see the rest of the "normal" world. :<
...Triumvirate has it right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
Triumvirate; you weird.
Welcome to the club. Have a drink on the house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
I like this guy.
If you're interested in creating custom factions & heroes in Warcraft 3, I mod that over at The Hive Workshop (Also at Wc3C.net).

My primary Project Thread:
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads...ehere_.303712/
Old 03-24-2015, 08:50 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumvirate View Post
AH! I misused "former" vs. "latter". Mah bad. No, I expect(ed) since I had access to everything else (Pandaren & Goblin & Worgen races, Death Knight hero class, etc), that it would be the "new" world of Cataclysm.

Yeah, totally! I didn't get out of the Valley of Trials last time, but dangit if I didn't want to see the rest of the "normal" world. :<
There are ways to do it. We don't speak of them, but they exist.

That said, I disagree with the idea that the world was aesthetically more pleasing pre-Cataclysm, especially since the vast majority of zones look the same. There are definitely some outliers like Desolace and Thousand Needles, but if one were to look at Moonglade at launch and Moonglade now, there's zero visual difference between the two.

Lore Observation, Systems Design, and other science dropped at Power Word: Remix

Expect nothing and anything will surprise you.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:12 AM

Problemsolver

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCrow View Post
There are ways to do it. We don't speak of them, but they exist.

That said, I disagree with the idea that the world was aesthetically more pleasing pre-Cataclysm, especially since the vast majority of zones look the same. There are definitely some outliers like Desolace and Thousand Needles, but if one were to look at Moonglade at launch and Moonglade now, there's zero visual difference between the two.
I don't know about a vast majority. Maybe half of the zones got off with fairly minor changes, or none at all, while the other half got overhauled pretty significantly.

Eastern and Western Plaguelands, Silverpine, Hillsbrad, the Wetlands, Loch Modan, the Badlands, Westfall, Stranglethorn, Darkshore, Ashenvale, Stonetalon, Azshara, the Barrens, Desolace, Thousand Needles and Tanaris got fairly major changes somewhere in their zone, and got slapped with either massive volcanoes and lava-filled pits, devastating floods, or got locked in a state of constant invasion/war.

Some of the changes are good, and some are not so good.

I personally really liked the updated and de-plagued Plaguelands, as well as the war between the Forsaken and the Worgen in Silverpine. And the changes made to the Barrens (the growing oases and the war in the south) are not too shabby either. The regrowth in Desolace is pretty cool too. And as a druid I love swimming around in Thousand Needles, seeing all the centaur villages destroyed down at the bottom. I miss the Shimmering Flats and the old raceway, though.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:20 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post
I don't know about a vast majority. Maybe half of the zones got off with fairly minor changes, or none at all, while the other half got overhauled pretty significantly.

Eastern and Western Plaguelands, Silverpine, Hillsbrad, the Wetlands, Loch Modan, the Badlands, Westfall, Stranglethorn, Darkshore, Ashenvale, Stonetalon, Azshara, the Barrens, Desolace, Thousand Needles and Tanaris got fairly major changes somewhere in their zone, and got slapped with either massive volcanoes and lava-filled pits, devastating floods, or got locked in a state of constant invasion/war.

Some of the changes are good, and some are not so good.

I personally really liked the updated and de-plagued Plaguelands, as well as the war between the Forsaken and the Worgen in Silverpine. And the changes made to the Barrens (the growing oases and the war in the south) are not too shabby either. The regrowth in Desolace is pretty cool too. And as a druid I love swimming around in Thousand Needles, seeing all the centaur villages destroyed down at the bottom. I miss the Shimmering Flats and the old raceway, though.
What I'm trying to check here is the idea that the game looked better before Cataclysm. Most of the zones that were updated had the sameness of the territory altered; WPL has the living areas and the reconstruction in Andorhal, for example, while Blasted Lands had a dark forest area added to it instead of a demon-infested wasteland that looked like the rest of Blasted Lands but with fog effects turned up.

Thousand Needles is probably the zone that, more than any other, has an entirely different look throughout the whole zone rather than in singular areas.

Lore Observation, Systems Design, and other science dropped at Power Word: Remix

Expect nothing and anything will surprise you.

Tags
gameplay, world of warcraft