Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 08-13-2015, 08:33 PM

Chimaera

Default Remove a Spec

There's been some hubbub about DHs getting only two specs, and also about them potentially pillaging abilities from other classes (Metamorphosis)...nothing new. The two spec system is new, but not unfathomable now that Druids have four specs (it averages out to three a piece again)

What surprised me was, in one of the post-reveal interviews, Tom Chilton spoke briefly about how it would be difficult to remove existing talent trees, as specs all have their fans and some portion of the playerbase would be pissed if their favorite spec got cut (That's not the interesting part)

He continues on to say that, if the devs could go back in time, there are some specs/talent trees that maybe wouldn't have been added to the game at all.

As soon as I heard this, one thing popped into my mind: Disc Priests. They're a totally unnecessary spec, they've got almost (totally?) no lore to back their existence, everything that a priest does is covered by the other two specs...reasons too numerous to name.

So, the point of this game: What specs aren't necessary, are redundant, or are holding back the game due to their presence these days? It seems like warlocks could benefit from losing a spec to make them less demon-huntery, rolling their demon pet focus into one or both of the other specs. Perhaps warriors could use a prune...or hunters (melee hunters...really?)
Old 08-13-2015, 09:15 PM

Warden

Crossed Swords

Assassination.

It even sounds redundant. I mean, what else is a Rogue meant to do? The highlight of the specialization is employing poisons, yet regardless of specialization, Rogues use poison anyway. Combat is the brawler that dances in and out of danger while slicing up their targets, and Subtlety is the ninja that jumps in unseen, incapacitates their target with clinical efficiency, then disappears before anyone has a chance to retaliate.

Assassination is just poison.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:27 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apep View Post
Assassination.

It even sounds redundant. I mean, what else is a Rogue meant to do? The highlight of the specialization is employing poisons, yet regardless of specialization, Rogues use poison anyway. Combat is the brawler that dances in and out of danger while slicing up their targets, and Subtlety is the ninja that jumps in unseen, incapacitates their target with clinical efficiency, then disappears before anyone has a chance to retaliate.

Assassination is just poison.
I think it sounds more obvious than Combat. As much as I love Combat, the word makes me think of a street fighter more than a pirate and the latter is the type of fantasy they're wanting to portray with the spec.

But yeah I agree, Assassination and Sub would be better off just being rolled into one spec.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:44 PM

Arch-Druid

In BC, Disc was mainly an arena spec, while Holy was for raids and perhaps BGs. What's wrong with this model?
Old 08-13-2015, 10:57 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Joeygiggles#1104

Windwalker
I love the Monk class and WW was my main spec. However they cant seem to figure out WW's mastery, the PvP presence is well nearly non-existent, PvE is OK but again the spec needs another look.
Could easily split up that spec into the other 2.
Old 08-14-2015, 06:44 AM

Eternal

Disassemble Assassination and reaffirm Combat and Subtlety.
Rogues have two specs: Combat and Subtlety.

Remove Marksmanship and amplify Survival and Beast Mastery.
Hunters have two specs: Survival and Beast Mastery.

Merge Frost and Fire into an "Elementalist" Mage spec.
Mages have two specs: Frostfire and Arcane.

Disassemble Affliction, give half to Destruction and half to Shadow Priests.
Warlocks have two specs: Destruction and Demonology.

Disassemble Discipline, give to Mistweavers.
Priests have two specs: Shadow and Holy.

Change Protection into a toggle.
Warriors have two specs: Arms and Fury.

Change Blood into a toggle.
Death Knights have two specs: Frost and Unholy.

Change Protection into a "Retribution-only"toggle.
Paladins have two specs: Holy and Retribution.

Change Brewmaster into a "Windwalker-only" toggle.
Monks have two specs: Mistweaver and Windwalker.

Change Guardian into a "Feral-only" toggle. Delay Balance from Druids, make it an unlocked Hero Spec.
Druids have two specs: Restoration and Feral.

Delay Enhancement from Shamans, make it an unlocked Hero Spec.
Shamans have two specs: Restoration and Elemental.

I honestly would've preferred "Demon Hunter (melee DPS/toggle tank)" to remain with Warlocks as a Hero Spec or something.

Hero specs would've been a fun way to introduce classes that aren't completely fleshed out. Necromancers, Battlemages, Bards, ETC

Last edited by Urth; 08-14-2015 at 06:50 AM..

Tags
class, gameplay