Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Blizzard Discussion > General Blizzard Discussion

Old 11-11-2015, 07:01 AM

Eternal

Default How would you rank Blizzard gameplay

/discuss

Because despite the many, many storyline problems I feel the gameplay aspects of their games tend to be downplayed here. Still, Blizzard isn't stigmatized in the South Korean/e-sports community that much I feel so gameplay must play a role in how they are able to screw up in storyline yet still have a lot of good PR.

Because admit it, I would not be suprised if people here still find game x or y to be guilty pleasures.

So honestly, how would you assess Blizzard from the prespective of gameplay within these games?
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered...~Thomas Jefferson

So instead of seeing this as a continuation of an era of the 20th century that gave us so much debt and destruction and undermined our liberties and conditions today that are so dangerous, let us think that we are now moving into a new era, a new era where we are going to concentrate on liberty and freedom and property rights and peace. I believe that is the cause that we should lead and I thank you very much for being part of it.~Ron Paul

Last edited by xie323; 11-11-2015 at 07:04 AM..
Old 11-11-2015, 08:35 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Hey, it's this guy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 11-11-2015, 12:33 PM

Dryad

Gameplay is inherently bound to the quality of lore, since good immersion is an element of good gameplay. Surely, immersion isn't all there is to good gameplay, but it is a significant part of it.
Old 11-11-2015, 03:31 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrettin View Post
Gameplay is inherently bound to the quality of lore, since good immersion is an element of good gameplay. Surely, immersion isn't all there is to good gameplay, but it is a significant part of it.
I disagree. Good immersion is an element of good gameplay, but in my opinion it's probably the least significant.

Blizzard makes games that feel nice in your hands, but if you look at them too closely you see you're just holding a load of old bullshit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 11-11-2015, 03:41 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

I think that when people say "immersion", a lot of them really mean verisimilitude. Verisimilitude is defined as the impression of being true or real. When applied to a fictional setting, this means a setting that is internally consistent, highly detailed, and believable.

The best definition of immersion that I've heard is Omacron's (at least, I'm pretty sure Omacron said this). Namely, it's the quality that allows you to forget that you're playing a game. This means a seamless interface, few menus to wade through, and so forth.

Verisimilitude is only important if the designer wants it or the audience expects it. Most of the games I enjoy most have a great deal of verisimilitude, but this is something of a niche interest. Also, by these definitions, a game may lack immersion but still have a great deal of verisimilitude (or vice versa).

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"

Tags
blizzard, gameplay