Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 02-18-2016, 02:47 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
I'm in Florida in a gated community. We have no rats.
Quick, someone summon Zimmerman!
Old 02-18-2016, 05:49 PM

Arch-Druid

Mana

Welp, guess I'll be seeing Deadpool tomorrow.
Old 02-18-2016, 06:13 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaskaleh View Post
Gods damn it, got stuff to do in wow but my split thumb whines like a little @?#@*.
Did you break a nail?

Man that hurts like hell. Once when I was a kid me and some friends built an improvised see saw with a long plank over a barrel. Yeah it was a disaster waiting to happen, and I am not sure anymore how but the tip of my finger got slammed hard by the plank. The nail split right in half, and I had to wait for it to fall off so a new one could grow. This took a few hours, and the underside of the nail was exposed and hurt, there was blood and I had to dip my finger in hard liquor to sterilize it. Agonizing is too weak a word for it.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:21 PM

Keeper of the Grove

Angry

Just watched snippets from some big meeting next county over re: Syrian refugees and now I'm READING EVERYTHING IN ALL CAPS ANGRY BIBLE YELLING.
Old 02-19-2016, 02:41 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Why do I keep dreaming of Will Ferral throwing hamsters at me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 02-19-2016, 04:58 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
Why do I keep dreaming of Will Ferral throwing hamsters at me?
So that's what this thing does.
Old 02-19-2016, 05:14 AM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taintedmage View Post
Quick, someone summon Zimmerman!
Can't flimflam the Zimzam.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:14 AM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
Did you break a nail?

Man that hurts like hell. Once when I was a kid me and some friends built an improvised see saw with a long plank over a barrel. Yeah it was a disaster waiting to happen, and I am not sure anymore how but the tip of my finger got slammed hard by the plank. The nail split right in half, and I had to wait for it to fall off so a new one could grow. This took a few hours, and the underside of the nail was exposed and hurt, there was blood and I had to dip my finger in hard liquor to sterilize it. Agonizing is too weak a word for it.
No, I had an accident with a knife at work, literally split my thumb. It's ok now, I've been tormenting it all day at work and it finally submitted. It's too numb to whine.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 02-19-2016, 12:26 PM

Priestess of the Moon

Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
There literally is no word in English or any Germanic language to describe just how much I hate all of you subhumans.
Ah, but you didn't mention Klingon. There's gotta be at least a half-dozen. ; )
...Triumvirate has it right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
Triumvirate; you weird.
Welcome to the club. Have a drink on the house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
I like this guy.
If you're interested in creating custom factions & heroes in Warcraft 3, I mod that over at The Hive Workshop (Also at Wc3C.net).

My primary Project Thread:
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads...ehere_.303712/
Old 02-19-2016, 01:57 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Where do you people stand on the Ship of Theseus paradox?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 02-19-2016, 02:02 PM

Elune

Quote:
It is continuous.
Old 02-19-2016, 02:03 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Quote:
I would say that the value of ship is mostly symbolic, and thus it does not really matter whether or not it's still made of the original wood. However, similar objects (say, the Parthenon) are also wedded to a particular place and context, so it would normally not be desirable to rebuild them elsewhere.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 02-19-2016, 06:15 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

Finding a company that is willing to accept internship for a Guy that is studying sharepoint development in gothenburg is Hard gonna contact the local opera tomorrow could not find much information about the company
Old 02-19-2016, 06:24 PM

Banished

not sad rn, rather honoring my past sad times and their impact on me.

Last edited by GenyaArikado; 02-19-2016 at 06:26 PM..
Old 02-19-2016, 08:28 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaskaleh View Post
No, I had an accident with a knife at work, literally split my thumb. It's ok now, I've been tormenting it all day at work and it finally submitted. It's too numb to whine.
Well that still sucks, hope it heals quickly.

Quote:
Wouldn't step into a teleporter.
Old 02-20-2016, 08:14 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
It is continuous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HlaaluStyle View Post
I would say that the value of ship is mostly symbolic, and thus it does not really matter whether or not it's still made of the original wood. However, similar objects (say, the Parthenon) are also wedded to a particular place and context, so it would normally not be desirable to rebuild them elsewhere.
I'm inclined to agree, for the most part, ontological thorns be damned. And yet...

Quote:
Wouldn't step into a teleporter.
...The information theory of teleportation really freaks me out.

It is said that every cell in our bodies has been replaced over the course of our life. Are we the same person we once were? Our consciousness seems to be continuous, and obviously we are answerable to our past actions.

But to be disassembled here and reassembled elsewhere... Surely to be disassembled would be to die. To be reassembled might be to reborn, but reborn as whom? The same person? To what extent? Even given the same memories and character, could the new incarnation really be said to be the same as the one who died? Or will that one's consciousness end, permanently, with the transmission?

This is to say nothing of the problems of duplication.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 02-20-2016, 08:24 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Meh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 02-20-2016, 08:31 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: InsipidLobst#2126

Smashed Dartmoor, 14 working days left - I can taste the end!!!!
“Children are dying." Lull nodded. "That's a succinct summary of humankind, I'd say. Who needs tomes and volumes of history? Children are dying. The injustices of the world hide in those three words.”
Old 02-20-2016, 10:16 AM

Elune

Quote:
I'm inclined to agree, for the most part, ontological thorns be damned. And yet...

...The information theory of teleportation really freaks me out.

It is said that every cell in our bodies has been replaced over the course of our life. Are we the same person we once were? Our consciousness seems to be continuous, and obviously we are answerable to our past actions.

But to be disassembled here and reassembled elsewhere... Surely to be disassembled would be to die. To be reassembled might be to reborn, but reborn as whom? The same person? To what extent? Even given the same memories and character, could the new incarnation really be said to be the same as the one who died? Or will that one's consciousness end, permanently, with the transmission?

This is to say nothing of the problems of duplication.
You would probably die during the process. The consciousness of the reassembled Anansi would be you, for all intents and purposes, but you would not experience things through its senses, as you would be dead.

Interestingly, there would be no way to know if this is the case, since the newly reformed consciousness would not have any reason to think it has died, so we all may very well do it unwittingly.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 02-20-2016, 10:22 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insipid_Lobster View Post
Smashed Dartmoor, 14 working days left - I can taste the end!!!!
I am concluding that my training was harder because I couldn't go on the internet so that makes me more of a badass.
Old 02-20-2016, 01:17 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by HlaaluStyle View Post
You would probably die during the process. The consciousness of the reassembled Anansi would be you, for all intents and purposes, but you would not experience things through its senses, as you would be dead.

Interestingly, there would be no way to know if this is the case, since the newly reformed consciousness would not have any reason to think it has died, so we all may very well do it unwittingly.
I fully concur on the first paragraph. (As an answer to Anansi, I wouldn't terribly mind being duplicated, especially if my clone would be transported to a place I can never go to, say a distant planet. ((If FTL travel was not possible but quantum teleportation/duplication was, but it seems even that has a top speed even if it is greater than c)) After all there can never be enough puddles of self-aware hydrocarbon, bubbling away and growing, always growing)

The second paragraph was a huge fear of kid me, will it be really me who wakes up tomorrow? Do we all just live from blackout to blackout, yet utterly unable to realize it because we inherit the memories and sensations of our predecessor?

It's a thing that is almost as impossible to prove as proving that we are not brains in a jar (probably not even brains), receiving a simulated reality from some matrix or another But impossible and almost impossible are as far away from one another as 1 and infinity. It should in theory be possible to identify what constitutes consciousness and see if it endures sleep, passing out, clinical death, etc.

And being so difficult to prove, immensely hard to cope with, time consuming and backed by (totally false) sense of continuity as day after day passed with me still being me. I got over it
Old 02-20-2016, 01:19 PM

Elune

Quote:
I fully concur on the first paragraph. (As an answer to Anansi, I wouldn't terribly mind being duplicated, especially if my clone would be transported to a place I can never go to, say a distant planet. ((If FTL travel was not possible but quantum teleportation/duplication was, but it seems even that has a top speed even if it is greater than c)) After all there can never be enough puddles of self-aware hydrocarbon, bubbling away and growing, always growing)

The second paragraph was a huge fear of kid me, will it be really me who wakes up tomorrow? Do we all just live from blackout to blackout, yet utterly unable to realize it because we inherit the memories and sensations of our predecessor?

It's a thing that is almost as impossible to prove as proving that we are not brains in a jar (probably not even brains), receiving a simulated reality from some matrix or another But impossible and almost impossible are as far away from one another as 1 and infinity. It should in theory be possible to identify what constitutes consciousness and see if it endures sleep, passing out, clinical death, etc.

And being so difficult to prove, immensely hard to cope with, time consuming and backed by (totally false) sense of continuity as day after day passed with me still being me. I got over it
Have you seen Dark City? You should check it out if you haven't; it's all about this.

Old 02-20-2016, 01:24 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: InsipidLobst#2126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
I am concluding that my training was harder because I couldn't go on the internet so that makes me more of a badass.
I'm sneaky!! Dartmoor was hard tho - 13 mile hike over 550M hills and bogs.
“Children are dying." Lull nodded. "That's a succinct summary of humankind, I'd say. Who needs tomes and volumes of history? Children are dying. The injustices of the world hide in those three words.”
Old 02-20-2016, 01:36 PM

Elune

Tele-copying doubles of myself to distant worlds would be an easy choice. If nothing else, it will give human civilization a better chance of survival.

I'd also have to tele-copy a few doubles to a hellscape though, to make those bastards pay for what they've done.
Old 02-20-2016, 01:37 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
Tele-copying doubles of myself to distant worlds would be an easy choice. If nothing else, it will give human civilization a better chance of survival.

I'd also have to tele-copy a few doubles to a hellscape though, to make those bastards pay for what they've done.
A pink hat would be well-suited to survive the rigors of long-term space travel. You wouldn't need to worry about food, water, or anything. As long as it reaches a marginally habitable planet, it can just fasten itself onto a surface and become the planet's hat, thus taking over.

Sort of like Spaceward, Ho! if anyone remembers that game.

Tags
realspace, spam thread 3.1