Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Blizzard Discussion > General Blizzard Discussion

Old 08-03-2011, 08:13 PM

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Default Blizzard Q3 Results

http://www.ocbj.com/news/2011/aug/03...esults-no-new/

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/3...ore_Slowly.php

Conclusion:

Gross profits are up, thanks to expansion into emerging markets, but margins are down 20%, which is a huge hit.

Subscriptions are also down, which means the emerging markets sold base games, but their subscription fees are likely much lower, accounting for the declining margin. Not to mention that their total new subscriptions, even with Brazil and China coming online, are not enough to offset the attrition in the US and Europe.

What it means:

This is actually pretty bad news. Margins are what count, and a 20% decline is not positive in any light.

There's absolutely no coincidence behind this release and the patent application timing.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:19 PM

Eternal

The downfall of the betrayers is just a matter of time !
Megatron: You've forgotten something else: I am your prisoner. I've been granted conditional bail while we look for the Knights of Cybertron. Where in my bail terms does it say—where precisely does it say—that I have to risk my life to save a handful of strangers? Where does it say that?

Skids taps Megatron's Autobot badge.

Skids: Right. There. What does that badge even mean to you? How has wearing it forced you to modify your behaviour? I'm serious! How has being an Autobot in any way prevented you from doing exactly what you want? Because if the answer is "it hasn't"—then nothing you've said or done in the last six months counts for anything.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:23 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

WoW's an aging game, I don't think anyone will disagree. Blizz will continue to lose money, especially when TOR comes out, until Titan.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:28 PM

World Builder

Runes

What should they do to fix this?

Is there anything they CAN do?

Major model overhaul?

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 08-03-2011, 08:52 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Falarson#1968

They need to revamp the engine. That would take years, but it's a step that must be done. They might as well cancel Titan and remodel WoW into a 'sequel'.

RIP Ronnie James Dio (1942 - 2010)

Long live Rock n' Roll!
Old 08-03-2011, 08:53 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
What should they do to fix this?

Is there anything they CAN do?

Major model overhaul?
F2P. That seems to be what all aging/unsuccessful games doo when they stop making money. Of course, this is still a long way off for WoW- they may not even make it F2P until after Titan launches. The fact that they have an "unlimited trial" seems to eb the first step, though.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:57 PM

World Builder

Runes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
F2P. That seems to be what all aging/unsuccessful games doo when they stop making money. Of course, this is still a long way off for WoW- they may not even make it F2P until after Titan launches. The fact that they have an "unlimited trial" seems to eb the first step, though.
I don't see it happening till they drop below 10 mil.

They're still making an OBSCENE amount of money, just less so nowadays.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 08-03-2011, 09:22 PM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kike-Scott View Post
They need to revamp the engine. That would take years, but it's a step that must be done. They might as well cancel Titan and remodel WoW into a 'sequel'.
That'd be absurd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 08-03-2011, 10:41 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Eregos#2913

The problem is that we get through content very fast and there entire rant about getting more out didn't work (they didn't stick to there word on this). People began to look at other MMO's which was bad with a lot going free and huge hype on games such as Guild Wars 2, Star Wars and others. Not to mention news got around fast that Rift are a hell of a lot faster at bringing there content patches out.

I think they are going to react with this and bring us more content faster since i am sure they want WoW to at least stay level and hardly drop until Titan comes. I think there might be a chance of Mists of Pandaria having more customisation and updated graphics on all playable races.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
I have a feeling they are also testing with Diablo 3 the real money AH system and if that goes well we might see WoW become free faster and have this implemented.

Run

Last edited by Ku'ja; 08-03-2011 at 10:48 PM..
Old 08-03-2011, 11:47 PM

Arch-Druid

An engine update isn't an option anymore. Imo. it would be a lot more easier to programm a total new game on scratch.

Quote:
The problem is that we get through content very fast and there entire rant about getting more out didn't work (they didn't stick to there word on this). People began to look at other MMO's which was bad with a lot going free and huge hype on games such as Guild Wars 2, Star Wars and others. Not to mention news got around fast that Rift are a hell of a lot faster at bringing there content patches out.
This.

Quote:
I think there might be a chance of Mists of Pandaria having more customisation and updated graphics on all playable races.
Hopefully this.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:00 AM

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

I think the "content gets consumed too fast" argument is a delusion at best, and, at worst, a flat-out lie.

Sure, you have professional, sponsored guilds that rip through new raids in scant weeks after release, but that's not representative of your 10 million other subscribers.

The problem is the content isn't enjoyable to re-play.

Burning Crusade had heroics and 10-mans that I actually enjoyed farming. Even as a casual raider, I could clear the first half of Karazhan early in its release, and by late in the game it became a really fun badge factory for my guild and all of our alts.

There wasn't anything like that in Wrath, and it got worse in Cata, because the poopsockers decided that the rest of us couldn't have the nice things. The multi-tiered "badge" system is basically a "fuck you" to the casual player. I'll never have a set of current Valor gear. Not in a timely fashion. And it was just as bad in Wrath... always one or two tiers behind.

Guess what?

11 million people weren't raiding. And in six months, ten percent of them have gotten fed up and being treated like second-class subscribers. So, they're quitting.

The second problem is the daily hubs have sucked. Isle of Quel'danas was awesome, and had great rewards. Plus the progression server-wide just rocked.

Even early in TBC, the first forays into daily quests offered truly unique rewards. Yes, Netherwing was a grind, but you got a kickass mount out of it.

Wrath dailies were shit. And, worse, they forced you to do them if you wanted the decent shoulder enchants. It wasn't until later on that you at least had the option of BoA enchants, but by then it was too late. And the next batch of dailies came from the Call of the Crusade, which, by and large, was an absolute disaster of a content patch.

Sadly, they learned nothing from this in Cataclysm. Therazane dailies were equally miserable, trapped at the end of a long, linear quest chain that you had no way of getting around. Tol Barad, the only other quest hub, is an even bigger joke, and its PvP features are abhorrent, especially if you have the misfortune of playing on an unbalanced realm.

So, Morhaime can fuck himself and his sad little excuse about how we're consuming his content too fast. We're not consuming it too fast. It just sucks, and we're sick of consuming it.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:16 AM

Guru of Gilneas

I think this is why I've probably seen more and more people in pvp gear. It's far more accessible to get good pvp armor than it is get the upper end of pve raid armor sets.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:16 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
There wasn't anything like that in Wrath, and it got worse in Cata, because the poopsockers decided that the rest of us couldn't have the nice things. The multi-tiered "badge" system is basically a "fuck you" to the casual player. I'll never have a set of current Valor gear. Not in a timely fashion. And it was just as bad in Wrath... always one or two tiers behind.
Ehm, how can't you get your Valor gear? My guild has jusr begun to raid FL and I got no loot out of the raid a this point. Still I already got a lot of 378 items just of doing normal Heroics and Zandalari. It might that some time, but I see no difference to grind 300+ batches to get my BC 2.4 gear.

Well, except the fact that Karazhan was indeed very fun until the end of BC. (While old ZA was not and Naxx... brrrrr) Never got really tiresome (Ok, maybe a bit when you saw it douzens of times ). Still Blizzards best raid dungeon imo.

Quote:
I think this is why I've probably seen more and more people in pvp gear. It's far more accessible to get good pvp armor than it is get the upper end of pve raid armor sets.
Getting good pvp gear is ridiculously easy. I didn't pvp a lot in Cata, because I disliked Tol Barad. It wasn't until you could turn Justive Points into Honor that I could finally complete my set. Then grinding honor in BGs and getting upgrades got a lot more fun because I now got enough resilence to not get one shot anymore. (Playing a cloth wearer in PvP can often be a pain .)

Last edited by Vineyard; 08-04-2011 at 12:22 AM..
Old 08-04-2011, 12:17 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

I find the end-game boring especially with the artificial content of hard modes. At least Ulduar did hard modes the right way but sadly they preferred the lazy way of doing it.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:39 AM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vineyard View Post
Getting good pvp gear is ridiculously easy. I didn't pvp a lot in Cata, because I disliked Tol Barad. It wasn't until you could turn Justive Points into Honor that I could finally complete my set. Then grinding honor in BGs and getting upgrades got a lot more fun because I now got enough resilence to not get one shot anymore. (Playing a cloth wearer in PvP can often be a pain .)
I would practically never do PvP, as I completely suck at it, since I don't bother to get a better UI. I will likely be pvping once I hit "endgame." Originally, the plan was to pvp just because my RP character is a member of the Frostwolf Clan (i.e. morally obligated to get the tabard, mount, and exalted rep). But I think I'll probably be switching to pvp, while also doing heroics, since I don't have the time or resources to raid.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:59 AM

Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
I find the end-game boring especially with the artificial content of hard modes. At least Ulduar did hard modes the right way but sadly they preferred the lazy way of doing it.
Yeah, I remember the reception to Ulduar's hardmodes and then Blizzard goes "You know, were just going to do a heroic mode where everything is just tuned up higher. It'll be better"

I was just thinking "Really? You think the same encounters with higher numbers and the occasional new spell will be more fun that something that changes the fight and makes it a legitimate new experience? Really?"

Quote:
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 08-05-2011, 07:13 AM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon View Post
That'd be absurd.
This. Anyway, my 2 cents. Wow has only IMPROVED. The only reason blizzard is losing some subs now is because veteran players from vanilla wow have gotten bored because they've played too much.

New players are sticking around, vanilla players have played enough and are bored so they're quitting.

Also

"About 12 million people play “World of Warcraft,” facing off in epic online battles as two fictional races fight for control of a fantasy world."

*facepalm*
Old 08-06-2011, 06:54 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post
The problem is the content isn't enjoyable to re-play.
I’ll agree with Bolvar on this. Example: I haven’t had much time to play for a while, but back shortly after the Zandalar patch came out I attempted to pug ZG. It was not fun, and I haven’t desired to go back unless I can group with all my friends – which is exceedingly rare since they too have seemingly stopped playing.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:13 PM

It's really odd how replayability is often glossed over. You'd think that in a game like WoW where everything gets replayed it wouldn't, but if anything its overlooked even more in WoW. Very strange.

Quote:
Old 08-07-2011, 08:53 PM

Eternal

How would you guys improve the replay factor in WoW?
Old 08-07-2011, 08:54 PM

I'd make the different dungeon modes change more than just numbers. Add time trials and different things like that.

I also think that the user-created dungeons idea Omacron had was brilliant.

Quote:
Old 08-07-2011, 09:05 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Predicted Blizz answers:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon View Post
I'd make the different dungeon modes change more than just numbers. Add time trials and different things like that.
Naw, it would be too hard and stressful for players!

Quote:
I also think that the user-created dungeons idea Omacron had was brilliant.
Naw, it is too much of a security risk!

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:31 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Start with making it possible to level to 80 via Azeroth and Kalimdor. The revamped 1-60 zones are big fun - but nobody does them because otherwise of extreme cases of boredom, there's no point. While leveling, dungeons keep on being more convenient (and when the groups go up fast enough, less time consuming) than questing and at max level - well, people don't like to do stuff they don't get improved loot for.

ask players which dungeons they would like to have a endgame-version of. Then proceed to give them a 85-mode (and keep on doing this).

Revamp the last unrevamped zones of Classic and the Draenei - and Blood elve starting areas. Revamp Outland and Northrend, but only so much that there isn't a time-hickup and it makes sence story-wise. Keep them as an option to level to 80, make them make sense, and then leave to do more important stuff.

Attach mounts, titles and other rewards to way more archievements. They are useless and boring for most people as long as they don't get something for it. Also: invent an itemshop for fun-items where people can buy stuff via Archievement points (preferably stuff that's available ingame anyways). Those points are useless as they are. Do something with them.

Housing. With the proper design, making your home your home can be a satisfying thing to spend time on. Easiest way to manage the space-problem? Find a place for four to five race-specific homes in a row, give them openable doors and place dungeon.portals behind them. At entering, the player may be asked which home (that he is allowed to enter) he is going to enter. Players could have a second friend-list for this.

More customisation-options. It's starting to get popular to have an appearance-tab for the looks of the charakter in addition to the stat-items. In pvp, this could be deactivated if need be. Otherwise there is really no reason not to allow people to, say, run around in items with normal stats but let them look like they have the 60 pvp set on.

Make easy-modes or 5man-modes of normal Raid tears to create a third difficulty level that can be pugged vie the Random Dungeon Finder Tool. Let this one dropp loot in qualitiy between heroic 5mans and the next raid tear.

And the most important one of all:
put content out. And if you are not able to do so, for the love of Hidegger - don't promise your playerbase to put out more content in the future only to let them starve again.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:46 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrRotalHenricsson View Post
Make easy-modes or 5man-modes of normal Raid tears to create a third difficulty level that can be pugged vie the Random Dungeon Finder Tool. Let this one dropp loot in qualitiy between heroic 5mans and the next raid tear.
I will say this, there really should be option for grouping with random people that isn’t head-bangingly frustrating. Pugging should not be such a miserable chore, and the hardmodes can and should still exist for those hardcores who want them.

It needs to be fun to play without having a dedicated and large guild.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:43 PM

Arch-Druid

True but it can be more fun with a guild or party.
That said devs are off with their community became too large for this set to really cater to.
I say they tier the game for each segment. Can't just be normal or hard that is a MASSIVE change. But Easy,hard,very hard hardcore. That would be better. Tier set up. Blizzard is unwilling to do so so let them lose subs.