Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Fan Works

Old 06-12-2017, 09:35 AM

Arch-Druid

Aneurysm: do the men of the Dasoteixes hold higher positions than in the rest of nymph society?

Also, if individuals from other races were to enter their forests, would they slowly become plantlike?

Last edited by Ethenil; 06-12-2017 at 09:40 AM..
Old 06-12-2017, 10:10 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethenil View Post
And since I'm here, I'd like to ask Anansi what's up with the male population of her nerubian, uhm, I mean, Xysticid race. Do they live as an underclass? An upper class? Are they protected in the very deepest caverns?
First of all, how dare you compare the noble Xysticids to a race of glorified ants. They don't even look alike.

Second of all, quoting an earlier post in this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi
Don't ask them how that works, and they won't ask about whatever freaky live-birth shit you get up to.
Now that's settled:

Quote:
- A continent or locale inspired by Sothoryos, full of wyverns, velociraptos and hydras;
I think Sothoryos is more interesting for its mad, green, endless nightmare than for its fauna. Maybe a continent which just goes on forever, no matter how far inland you are, and just gets weirder and weirder, full of ancient, cursed ruins and a landscape that never repeats itself in the ways its tries to kill you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post
Xaxalin, as far as I know, is largely undeveloped. It's basically just jungles and wetlands there.
Xaxalin is basically Eurasia, but maybe even bigger. It has jungle subcontinents, but also steppes, mountains, deciduous and coniferous forests, meadowlands, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Where does the garbage go?

Are your societies cities packed with muck in the streets or piles of sludge outside windows? Landfills? Does it recycle to the point of obsession? Is it incinerated? Etc...
I had hoped to avoid this conversation.

Xysticid waste is... Well... It's... excreted... as silk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:28 AM

World Builder

Is that the... ONLY kind of silk they make?

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 06-12-2017, 10:54 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Is that the... ONLY kind of silk they make?
Hey man, they don't criticize the way you people make things out of hair and hide and stuff. And it's actually very clean. Just because your waste products are messy and disgusting doesn't mean everyone's is. Consider the noble sea cucumber.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-12-2017, 11:26 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
Hey man, they don't criticize the way you people make things out of hair and hide and stuff. And it's actually very clean. Just because your waste products are messy and disgusting doesn't mean everyone's is. Consider the noble sea cucumber.
Not judging, just wanted to clarify.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 06-12-2017, 04:19 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Now that's settled:
I don't have any problems with them asking me this stuff.

Ask away, just tell me how you work first xD
Old 06-12-2017, 04:52 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
I don't have any problems with them asking me this stuff.

Ask away, just tell me how you work first xD
That's disgusting. You're disgusting.

But seriously, I think they're either partially hermaphroditic or else they've got that angler fish thing going on. Note this may be subject to change.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-12-2017, 05:28 PM

Arch-Druid

I already read the Rak'shari and dragon stuff, that was fun. I already have some ideas as to what I'll do, which I'll share later.

I've got a question for Mutters: there are so many cosmic beings: primordials, celestials, demons, gods and starhorrors. Could you refine the nature of these beings? Where do they come from? Are they manifestations of the fundamental forces of magic or something?

What is the origin of the Lokusi? Why are they a thread all of a sudden? Are they from outside?

-----------

Shouldn't we get an updated map maybe? Several cities and landmarks I'm reading about aren't shown in the latest map. Maybe we can get an updated version once I set the general location for my races?

Also, would be cool to set how some of those continents connect, so we don't get too many cluttered landmasses.

======

Initial concept: on another continent (the dragon one?), a group of rak'shari worships intelligent dragons. Their society is different from the standard one, mainly in that everything venom is replaced with draconic. The culture of these lizardfolk (for whose group I'll come up with a new name) is changed dramatically too. They no longer fight and hunt in a survival of the fittest environment. Instead, they seek to obtain perfection, which is the form of the dragon. Thus, those that are proven to be worthy by the dragons and the lizard dragon-priests are given some blood of the dragon whose "path" they follow. Eventually, becoming ever more dragon-like, these ascended rak'shari (for whom I'll come up with yet another name) enter the highest caste of society. Both the warriors and priests can become ascended.

The purpose of the dragons in this place is to attain their ancient power and wisdom, and they use these Rak'shari for this purpose. You see, they believe that through the lizards' blood mutation magic, they might be able to reobtain or recreate perfect Elder Dragonhood. Perhaps the rebirth of their glorious race will come through a hybrid of a Rak'shari and a dragon?

The intelligent dragons themselves are gods to the lizardfolk. They seldom appear in public, and have their own lairs and palaces in the mountains and volcanoes. As stated, there are a number of these (no more than six or seven) who live in peace among themselves, ruling their lands together. Different priest orders follow the different dragons.

Then, there are the wyverns, which are the descendants of those dragons from ages ago who fell into bestiality. These are much smaller, the size perhaps of a horse, and are tamed by the lizardfolk.

All of this makes for a Rak'shari society that is just as strong as its cousin, but much more organized and stable (I don't mean that the other one is worse, not at all, it's just that there's a very different culture between them). They are not as accepting of unnecessary death, as their cousins seem to be; after all, the death of one lizard means that all the progress to obtain perfection is lost. In conclusion, they are as wrathful as their cousins towards enemies, but internally are relatively more peaceful, even though it would still seem barbaric and violent to human standards.

Thoughts? Is this okay with Gromak? As for how the groups became separated, we'd have to discuss later.

Last edited by Ethenil; 06-12-2017 at 06:39 PM..
Old 06-12-2017, 11:01 PM

World Builder

Quote:
I already read the Rak'shari and dragon stuff, that was fun. I already have some ideas as to what I'll do, which I'll share later.

I've got a question for Mutters: there are so many cosmic beings: primordials, celestials, demons, gods and starhorrors. Could you refine the nature of these beings? Where do they come from? Are they manifestations of the fundamental forces of magic or something?

What is the origin of the Lokusi? Why are they a thread all of a sudden? Are they from outside?
I didn't want to monopolize their design too much but here are my thoughts on the immortals.

Primordials: The beings that first arose from the early physical realm, elementals, dragons, sentient trees, generally self interested but quite powerful. Elemental variants typically have a kind of natural reincarnation, while dragons used to be nigh invulnerable before their 'fall'.

Celestials: Generally star-faring beings, lots of appearances, think Algalon, Elune, Azulongmon from digimon, with a sprinkle of old school christian angels aesthetically. Intrinsically protect or support some aspect of the world or 'positive' trait. Most have a 'light touch' policy towards mortals.

Demons: Myriad origins and appearances, typically entities that rejected or were pushed out of their prior roles, suffering or rebelling in some way, intrinsically oppose or destroy some aspect of the world or personify 'negative' traits. As likely to enslave or eat mortals as they are to party with them.

Gods: Personify a particular point of view on, or fundamental aspect of, reality, society, etc... they cannot be killed, though they can be imprisoned, dismembered or 'fade'. The most closely tied to mortals through worship, to the point that worship can sometimes shape them, and some gods are ascended mortals.

Starhorrors: Lavos from Chrono Trigger, Phaaze/Gorea from Metroid, The Ogdru Hem from Hellboy. Giant monsters that affect their environment, and usually not just on the physical level, most see mortals and even other immortals as food or... raw material, but a few have developed more benevolent ways of interacting with the rest of the universe. They are each a nation, independent.

Lokusi Origin: No spoilers you egg! But I will reiterate, the Lokusi are natural, their behavior is not. Dunno what you mean by 'all of a sudden' though, their attacks on Gruthar started about 300 years ago but I've not if they were anywhere before that

Quote:
-----------

Shouldn't we get an updated map maybe? Several cities and landmarks I'm reading about aren't shown in the latest map. Maybe we can get an updated version once I set the general location for my races?

Also, would be cool to set how some of those continents connect, so we don't get too many cluttered landmasses.
Which cities and landmarks are missing that you're curious about? And yeah, once you pick spots (and Grim still needs to pick a spot for his wolf-folks too!) we can get something set up.

Whatcha mean with how continents connect? you mean the rest of the world outside current map?

Quote:
Initial concept: on another continent (the dragon one?),

mainly in that everything venom is replaced with draconic.

Thoughts? Is this okay with Gromak? As for how the groups became separated, we'd have to discuss later.
Dragon continent?

Rak'shari's bits seem more about blood than venom, with a sprinkle of lightning magic, and they do seem to 'chase perfection' in their own way. Hopefully Gromak pops in soon so we can get his thoughts.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 06-13-2017, 07:44 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Which cities and landmarks are missing that you're curious about? And yeah, once you pick spots (and Grim still needs to pick a spot for his wolf-folks too!) we can get something set up.
For example, the cyclops cities, different areas in the spider island, and some details in nymphland.

Quote:
Whatcha mean with how continents connect? you mean the rest of the world outside current map?
Like, we have the tips of three continents that expand beyond the edges of the map. Maybe, some of those connect.

Quote:
Dragon continent?
Xaxalin? I assumed it had plenty of dragons to the Dragon's Gullet thing.

Quote:
Rak'shari's bits seem more about blood than venom, with a sprinkle of lightning magic, and they do seem to 'chase perfection' in their own way. Hopefully Gromak pops in soon so we can get his thoughts.
Indeed, which is great because they're still the same race. The main difference is that the western Rak'shari seem to live in a more Sothoryos environment, full of plagues and plants and venom, basically "green" lizards which thrive in the survival of the fittest. These western Rak'shari would live in a rocky environment, preferring fire and lightning over venom, not seeking to be the fittest, but to reach the perfect form (dragons).
Old 06-13-2017, 08:16 AM

World Builder

Quote:
For example, the cyclops cities, different areas in the spider island, and some details in nymphland.

Like, we have the tips of three continents that expand beyond the edges of the map. Maybe, some of those connect.

Xaxalin? I assumed it had plenty of dragons to the Dragon's Gullet thing.

Indeed, which is great because they're still the same race. The main difference is that the western Rak'shari seem to live in a more Sothoryos environment, full of plagues and plants and venom, basically "green" lizards which thrive in the survival of the fittest. These western Rak'shari would live in a rocky environment, preferring fire and lightning over venom, not seeking to be the fittest, but to reach the perfect form (dragons).
1. Those were made after the last map was.

2. Those are underground so it'd be hard to fit them, plus given its scale not sure there's a point but Anansi can discuss that with Aneurysm.

3. Eh? Which details?

4. Oh, Probably not, each one extends in a different direction atm.

5. Dragons gullet is just named for its shape, it looks like a dragon's mouth on maps.

6. Neat, PM Gromak if you wanna grab his attention, he's usually pretty busy so may not have checked in yet.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 06-13-2017, 10:12 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

I'll be throwing in some ideas that springed up on my mind while I was following some conversations on the SoL Discord.

I'd be very glad if someone caught interest in them and developed them further, with some good in-depth writing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromak
Mutters and I mused about the origin of the Rak'shari a while back and how dragons might be involved. I settled on the Rak'shari being reptilian lifeforms that got enhanced, so to speak, by the blood of a fallen dragon, and got their ability to absorb traits from that which helped their evolution, but another concept Mutters proposed was that they could've been devolved dragons, so to speak, and that now seek to get back to their former glory. That last one might suit your lizardfolk quite well
I'm kinda fond of the dragon blood idea, because it opens up possibility for more infected species, like dragonblood-infected silk bugs (dragonsilk yo) and bees (dragon honey used to make dragon mead).

Dragon honey and dragon silk seem to be some quite cool concepts to me and it looks like they have a sweet spot to fit in Solithris.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:00 PM

Problemsolver

Quote:
Aneurysm: do the men of the Dasoteixes hold higher positions than in the rest of nymph society?
Not in the sense that the average Joe-Dásoteíxis is looked upon with the same respect as with one of the Pnévtes, the priestesses. A peasant or worker that happens to be part of a tribe in the military coalition is still just a lowly peasant, and is treated as such.
Their warriors, however, the ones fighting the Locusi threat, are highly respected by the ruling and religious castes. Not to the point where individual warriors are given privileges beyond that of their peers. But they recieve mentions and praise in the history books, by name and tribe, once they've fallen in battle. And that's an honour given strictly to rulers and religious leaders otherwise.

Quote:
Also, if individuals from other races were to enter their forests, would they slowly become plantlike?
No, not the individuals themselves. At least not at any significant level. It's a minor evolutionary process sort of. It'd take a couple of generations for the mutations to make themselves apparent.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:04 PM

World Builder

Got dwarf basics updated in the OP when ethenil pointed out I'd forgotten to edit them in, thanks!

If anyone else sees anything missing from their section in the OP that they want added let me know so I can update it.

Current Topics:

-Ethenil and Gromak need to work out how they want the Rak'shari and Ethenil's more draconic focused lizardfolk to work, Ethenil is concerned about having too many lizardfolk from different origins, Gromak wants the Rak'shari to be distinct from this other culture though.

-Gromak also needs to post some kinda response/continuation to the battle with the Lokusi in the west and the oddities found during the battle (bits of metal in Lokusi bodies, electrical scarring on them, etc...)

-Grim PICK A DANG CONTINENT FOR YOUR WOLF FOLK BRO

-Yaska Elf reactions to Dominion forces attacking the Lokusi in their areas

-Anansi Chronicle Post sometime

My Worldbuilding:
Old 06-13-2017, 10:51 PM

Arch-Druid

I just want to note that if Gromak allows my lizardfolk to be of the same species as his, I'll still have absolutely no control over anything he decides to do with them. These different ones would have been separated from from his long ago and have a very different culture.

----------

Apart from that, I'd like to say I'm planing on adding one or two human nations, probably on Xaxalin. I don't know where exactly yet since I haven't read everything from the OP yet, but around there, close to that human mercantile nation. Some section of one of the nations will involve ghosts, and another might involve vampires, but I'm not sure yet.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:57 PM

World Builder

Oh that's what I was forgetting, we gotta hammer out some Dwarf Borders too.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 06-14-2017, 01:40 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

In case Annie missed the Discord thing, I think it's time for a map of greater Xaxalin. We need all the different kinds of biomes you'd expect on a supercontinent, maybe some inland seas or lakes, and probably a subcontinent or two.

Quote:
I think we've got a little less than half a hemisphere in our current map? So I don't think Xaxalin is likely to connect to those other two continents (which I think need names). The two themselves, however, I think could easily connect via land bridge or island chain.

Quote:
I didn't want to monopolize their design too much but here are my thoughts on the immortals.
Something I've been meaning to bring up - I'm not sure it's wise to flesh out the origins of the world and the nature of immortal beings just yet. I think it's more important to focus on mortal spheres, so that their beliefs and customs can shape the origins of the world and the nature of the cosmos, rather than the other way around. It could be argued the other way, I suppose, but I think it's more interesting to grow a world from the societies, cultures, creatures, and spaces it comprises.

Right now, we've got room for all kinds of gods, spirits, and deities - real ones, dead ones, active ones, indifferent ones, imaginary ones, ones that are really just demons or powerful sub-divine immortals or even sufficiently powerful mortal sorcerers playing pretend... Once we start defining the difference between gods and celestials and primordials and demons and things, we'll need to start shoe-horning all our different ideas into specific categories. I don't think that sounds like much fun.

By the same token, I don't think we should do much to explicitly define what happened more than, I don't know, five, ten thousand years ago? I like to see the past of ancient worlds as a forgotten mystery, only to be remembered in scattered ruins and fragments of song.

But this is my perspective, and Solthris is a collaboration. I may be the most intelligent, good-looking, and humble member of the team, but I am not its sole arbitrator.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-14-2017, 03:30 PM

Arch-Druid

Guys, I haven't seen any info about Brondheim! What's it all about? I wanted to create my mystical viking guys, so I'll need to know.

----------

Also, Yaskaleh, I both like and dislike your elves xD. Some things I didn't quite understand: how long did the Empire last? How much was under its control?

Anyway, I wanted to know what you're thinking for the origins of the Serpentis. Since Gromak would rather I not use the Rak'shari in my concepts, I'm interested in replacing them with a different group of your Serpentis, one that would be powerful and strong, ruled by dragons.

----------

Soon, I'll post my concept for some human Kingdoms on western Xaxalin, pushing the dwarven core lands further to the east, outside of our current map.
Old 06-14-2017, 05:43 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Guys, I haven't seen any info about Brondheim! What's it all about? I wanted to create my mystical viking guys, so I'll need to know.
Not much on them yet, they're a collection of humans, jotun, bear folk, walrus/seal folk and such that formed to defend themselves from a bunch of lightning scarred orcs (and I guess other Grutharin) that pushed out of the mountains around 300 years ago

To clarify:

No living soul can cross the Stormveil

The number of folks that went into the Stormveil to flee the Lokusi 300ish years ago is greater than the number of attackers that appeared on the other side

My Worldbuilding:
Old 06-14-2017, 06:09 PM

Arch-Druid

I'd also like to know what's in Nulawa.

Alright, give me more details, and I'll give you a Civ of awesome vikings à là vrykul.

Last edited by Ethenil; 06-14-2017 at 06:42 PM..
Old 06-14-2017, 10:56 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Something I've been meaning to bring up - I'm not sure it's wise to flesh out the origins of the world and the nature of immortal beings just yet.
Once we start defining the difference between gods and celestials and primordials and demons and things, we'll need to start shoe-horning all our different ideas into specific categories. I don't think that sounds like much fun.

By the same token, I don't think we should do much to explicitly define what happened more than, I don't know, five, ten thousand years ago? I like to see the past of ancient worlds as a forgotten mystery, only to be remembered in scattered ruins and fragments of song.

But this is my perspective, and Solthris is a collaboration. I may be the most intelligent, good-looking, and humble member of the team, but I am not its sole arbitrator.
1. Agreed, I think we'll table heavy description of origins and such for the moment, what we have is a good framework that we can always come back to, unless folks have objections?

2. Noted, we can keep the veil of ages up unless it becomes relevant for some ancient being to give a glimpse or version of what went on back then.

Quote:
I'd also like to know what's in Nulawa.

Alright, give me more details, and I'll give you a Civ of awesome vikings à là vrykul.

1. Current concepts from the discord that are looking at being put in Nulawa or the Dragons Gullet areas

-Dwarves, possible influences being Traditional norse, Egyptian / Middle-eastern, Andean-Inca, Mesoamerican, mediterranean (Greco-Roman similar to the western cyclops?)

-Dragon-worshippers, lizard or snake folk

-Catfolk? Crocodile folk? Genies/Djinni/Efreeti?

Concepts discussed with the Genies is that they're a kind of magic "Siri" AI the dwarves made, though opinions are split on whether they're something dwarves made on their own, or reverse engineered from a previous society, or made artificial 'Genies' to mimic natural 'Djinni / Efreeti / Marids, etc...'

2. They're a pretty open book at the moment, I haven't put a whole lot of development into them just yet. Currently picturing the humans as burly, but not larger than traditional vikings or humans by much. Jotun and Bearfolk would probably around 7-9ft, walrus/seal/sea-lion folk are kinda inspired by selkies and might shapeshift a bit for movement in water.

Brondheim folks trade with the Yeti but I don't think they're part of their 'alliance'.

Chunk of their inspiration came from Rise of Legends Skald concept art

and Banner Saga in general though most notably the Varl

My Worldbuilding:
Old 06-17-2017, 07:50 AM

Eternal

Here are some examples of Rak'shari mutations so you guys might get a better picture of how I imagine them.

Camouflage - Chameleon-like ability to change coulor and adapt to the environment for stealth purposes, though it's not "invisibility".

Extended Tongue - Long, frog-like tongue to grab things with, for example disarming an enemy or drawing them towards you.

Extra Limbs - Self explanatory.

Massive Size & Strength - Rak'shari with these traits I imagine somewhat like dire trolls, and they serve as shock troopers and heavy lifters for workers.

Strong Legs - Enhances speed and jumping abilities.

Scytheclaws - Sharper, more powerful claws. Are approximately as sharp as a dagger. Two variations exist here: it's either all claws on the hand/foot that are improved, or it's only one but that one is significantly stronger (think like Raptor claws).

Razorscales - Scales that are significantly sharper and offer great offensive capabilities in close combat.

Seascales - A fancy way to refer to Rak'shari who adapted to live in the water. Includes fins, a more streamlined form and the ability to breath longer under water.

Stone Scales - Incredibly thick scales that offer more defense than most types of armour.

Hardhead - Skull is significantly empowered and becomes incredibly thick and resilient (think Pachycephalosaurus) and the Rak'shari can deal out devastation headbutts.

Horns - Again, self explanatory.

Explosive Spores - Spores cover the body that can be detonated at will by the Rak'shari and release a harmful, acid-like fluid. It's kind of like banelings.

These last three are special in the sense that, if a Rak'shari with magical capabilities possesses them, they aditionally can use their blood magic to call upon these properties of their blood, enabling them to use Venom-, Lightning- or Firemagic respectively.

Venomblood - Venomous and poisonous.

Stormblood - Can generate electricity with their bodies, like an electrical eel.

Cinderblood - Fire breath and heat resistance.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:15 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromak View Post
Here are some examples of Rak'shari mutations so you guys might get a better picture of how I imagine them.

*TYPES*
Nice, good selection of versatile traits, though I'd call it explosive 'sac' or something rather than explosive spores unless they grow plant-bits.

Grim and I were chatting the other day and he's thinking of naming the Vulkodnak nation Morivania though some other names are still contenders atm, we also discussed sticking it on a continent that's currently off-map, possibly elsewhere on Xaxalin or possibly on its own landmass, Maaaybe one that was broken off of a larger landmass and is a cursed and gnarly lookin place.

Had any more thoughts on your ghosts and such Ethenil?

Also, Althesar is working name for the western continent with the cyclops and such.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 06-18-2017, 11:14 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Had any more thoughts on your ghosts and such Ethenil?
Is it possible that the werewolf continent isn't so far off from Xaxalin? Because it'd be interesting to put the vampires and my ghosts nearby.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:10 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Is it possible that the werewolf continent isn't so far off from Xaxalin? Because it'd be interesting to put the vampires and my ghosts nearby.
The idea that Grim and I tossed out the other night was that it was once part of a bigger continent but got broken off in some ancient battle or because of some curse or whatnot, so it could definitely be a piece of Xaxalin that broke off in the past, we'll have to discuss details next time we're all on.

Edit: Topic of the week- Currency and economics!

What's used for money? What's the wealth distribution like? What are the high / low paid jobs if such concepts even apply!?

My Worldbuilding:

Tags
collaboration, creative, worldbuilding