Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > Halls of Lordaeron

Old 06-18-2017, 09:35 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
These people are mentioned though. Gaussian and De Moivre are mentioned when we learn their respective theorems for example. This is especially true in the science classes. We don't have to take an entire class on them though.
There's always room for more.

What are folks thoughts on compulsory voting? (Slight NSFW since someone drew a 'raptor' on their ballot)
https://3fluffies.tumblr.com/post/16...ewaydrug-julad

Quote:
NUMBER CANDIDATES IN ORDER OF PREFERENCE. There’s no need to calculate whether I would be throwing away my vote on the candidate that I most agree with if they’re not from a major party. I can say, I want that independent person to get in, but if not them, give me Big Party A, and if not them, that minor party person is still better that Big Party B, and I’m not giving any preference to the Lunatic Fringe Party.
Our system certainly has some issues still, but I can show up to somewhere nearby, line up for a few minutes (if at all), vote exactly in line with my values (on paper, leaving a paper trail that can be recounted), and then buy a sausage and some home made cupcakes on my way out.
A country’s voting system matters a hell of a lot and every citizen deserves one that makes it easy to vote and results in a government that is representational and accountable.
And by the way, one time I had a bad asthma flare-up on Election Day and didn’t make it to my polling station. I got my fine in the mail, I filled out the form explaining why I couldn’t vote, no more fine. I would rather have, you know, expressed my preference for who should run my country, but they were cool with the fact that I couldn’t do it that day.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 06-18-2017, 09:39 PM

Echo of the Past

Didn't some of the most famous literary writers do their thing without an English degree?
Old 06-18-2017, 09:40 PM

Elune

Challenging academic norms is thinking outside of the box. It is challenging an established archaic system and authority. The sort of problem solving in STEM is better than a lot of rudimentary memorization you see in other classes. There is a reason why good grades are harder to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
There's always room for more.
You can't just be in school forever though. Eventually you have to enter the real world and start applying that knowledge. I could learn about them more in books and other sources if I wanted to. It isn't like we ignore them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
Didn't some of the most famous literary writers do their thing without an English degree?
Of course. I don't see why people need colleges to imbue them with critical thinking skills. You can learn these things in other ways. It takes a lack of creativity to pretend otherwise. I would even say that universities don't do a really good job at creating good critical thinkers. I don't look at a Liberal Arts major and think "Wow this person is just so creative and knowledgeable than me." A lot of the science and engineering professors actually talk down about the other majors.

Last edited by PajamaSalad; 06-18-2017 at 09:43 PM..
Old 06-18-2017, 09:46 PM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Quote:
Writers aren't "job creators" or something, so conservatives generally don't care about them. Similar to how they feel the arts in general, really. You're supposed to be born with it and never need formal schooling according to them.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:07 PM

Arch-Druid

I'd argue that you probably can have gender studies classes, but you gotta be careful with them. Like, if a student disagrees with something, actually have a discussion and debate about it, instead of there only being one right answer that is ninety percent of the time going to be "agreeing 100% with the teacher". And which, I think, is part of the problem; a lot of people are seeing these classes where the teachers have their opinions (be it on feminism, race relations, communism, or how pineapple belongs on pizza), and you can either agree with them, or fail. Some people buy in, others just go along with it.

Sadly, the students who take it too far tend to be the ones causing drama on campuses, which just colors perceptions of the "normies" on how these classes are shit.

And now, to not comment in this thread for a month, barring temporary bouts of insanity!

Last edited by Yakitori; 06-18-2017 at 10:11 PM..
Old 06-18-2017, 10:10 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakitori View Post
I'd argue that you probably can have gender studies classes, but you gotta be careful with them. Like, if a student disagrees with something, actually have a discussion and debate about it, instead of there only being one right answer that is ninety percent of the time going to be "agreeing 100% with the teacher".
Is that not how they work?
Am I the only one who has ever taken a college philosophy class?
Old 06-18-2017, 11:02 PM

World Builder

Quote:
I'd argue that you probably can have gender studies classes, but you gotta be careful with them. Like, if a student disagrees with something, actually have a discussion and debate about it, instead of there only being one right answer that is ninety percent of the time going to be "agreeing 100% with the teacher"
I'm sure this is a thing but it's not one I'd ever encountered in my classes on sociology or anthropology.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 06-18-2017, 11:18 PM

Elune

Quote:
I'm sure this is a thing but it's not one I'd ever encountered in my classes on sociology or anthropology.
I think we're up against years of anti-liberal-arts propaganda.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:37 PM

Echo of the Past

My problem with the liberal arts I took (history and English) is that they only taught me how to teach other people liberal arts. Only they didn't even do that, because Education is a separate set of studies.

It was a process that gave me zero job skills. I just didn't realize it until it was too late.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:12 AM

Eternal

Quote:
My apologies, earlier I felt you were trying to start something with Cantus, I hadn't realized this was an issue that had affected you or your family, I'll endeavor to be less jumpy in the future.
It's ok. I should have been less sarcastic as well, I often forget that foreigners have a hard time understanding our local sarcasm and humour.

http://www.lexiophiles.com/english/b...mour-is-coming
Old 06-19-2017, 05:30 AM

Elune

Quote:
My problem with the liberal arts I took (history and English) is that they only taught me how to teach other people liberal arts. Only they didn't even do that, because Education is a separate set of studies.

It was a process that gave me zero job skills. I just didn't realize it until it was too late.
But did it make you super creative and enlightened? Did it provide you with a moral foundation that other people don't have?
Old 06-19-2017, 06:01 AM

Eternal

Quote:
But did it make you super creative and enlightened? Did it provide you with a moral foundation that other people don't have?
In between my talks with Destron, Grackle's lamenting, and your own opinions, I think there is something seriously wrong with the way the arts are taught in the U.S. Or at least it seems so to me, as my personal experiences are way, way different.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:04 AM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Quote:
Genius or piety should not be the only valid demarcation between fruitless and fruitful art. It's a thousand small steps in-between just as much as it's tsunami's of change. Mastery takes time, and not everyone will reach that point, but they can take inspiration from others failures just as much as their successes. Each false start or dead end is one more place to analyze and devise from. From a STEM perspective it's a violation of expectation and thus of little consequence, but from an artistic one, it's a brand new horizon that wasn't there before.

And in expectation is a trap just as much as a foundation. Even in something as logically sound as mathematics and physics, creativity is necessary to step around problems built into the system by false foundations from hundreds of years ago. Art takes you out of the space of where we sit and gives you the opportunity to look at the problem from perspectives that a rigid mind will ignore. Built over a community and time, it lets the truly avant garde or genius have room to explore, and allows for functional leaps.

Don't kill a system of creativity just because you aren't able to reach or see the apex.

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:17 AM

Elune

Well universities don't have a monopoly on art or history. Those degrees aren't exactly conducive to those things. No one needs a university to imbue them with critical thinking or morality. That just seems delusional to me. I am sure a lot of them think they are the only ones that have those things but that is just really patronizing and untrue. There are some things you just can't teach and others where the archaic classroom environment isn't the best way to teach them. It just comes off really cult like and insular. It just feels like more of a reason to restrict them because I don't want to sustain that. Actions are more important than words and people who love their ideas more than people but are insulated from the consequences of their decision can cause a lot of harm they aren't concerned about.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:44 AM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Quote:
Well universities don't have a monopoly on art or history. Those degrees aren't exactly conducive to those things. No one needs a university to imbue them with critical thinking or morality. That just seems delusional to me. I am sure a lot of them think they are the only ones that have those things but that is just really patronizing and untrue. There are some things you just can't teach and others where the archaic classroom environment isn't the best way to teach them. It just comes off really cult like and insular. It just feels like more of a reason to restrict them because I don't want to sustain that. Actions are more important than words and people who love their ideas more than people but are insulated from the consequences of their decision can cause a lot of harm they aren't concerned about.
Again, I'm not saying everything should come from universities, but that they play a significant role alongside other major factors. You're advocating throwing the baby out with the bathwater here. My statement isn't "keep the bathwater," but "keep the baby."

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:04 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Quote:
I'd argue that you probably can have gender studies classes, but you gotta be careful with them. Like, if a student disagrees with something, actually have a discussion and debate about it, instead of there only being one right answer that is ninety percent of the time going to be "agreeing 100% with the teacher". And which, I think, is part of the problem; a lot of people are seeing these classes where the teachers have their opinions (be it on feminism, race relations, communism, or how pineapple belongs on pizza), and you can either agree with them, or fail. Some people buy in, others just go along with it.

Sadly, the students who take it too far tend to be the ones causing drama on campuses, which just colors perceptions of the "normies" on how these classes are shit.

And now, to not comment in this thread for a month, barring temporary bouts of insanity!
Gender doesn't belong in schools, just like religion doesn't either.

Get bullshit moralists out of education.

Quote:

This, too. People go to school to learn useful stuff, not waste their time on bullshit.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 06-19-2017, 11:41 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
Again, I'm not saying everything should come from universities, but that they play a significant role alongside other major factors. You're advocating throwing the baby out with the bathwater here. My statement isn't "keep the bathwater," but "keep the baby."
I just don't think university morality is the only kind or even best kind of morality. People can also get morality from religion but you might not agree with that. Morality is a purely subjective thing, it is important but not this particular brand of morality. It just comes off as a sort of indoctrination that is unnecessary or even harmful. They don't seem particularly moral or introspective. As a subculture it has far too much influence and power in our society that I would like see made humble. Call it the higher education bureaucratic industrial complex.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:21 PM

Elune

Protip: Don't publicly use racially-charged epithets of a race you aren't and expect it to go over well
http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/20...-her-post.html
Old Yesterday, 05:24 AM

Site Staff - Moderator
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
Protip: Don't publicly use racially-charged epithets of a race you aren't and expect it to go over well
http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/20...-her-post.html
These things usually take care of themselves. Do you have an important position where you act as a sort of figurehead for some institution? Are you being an ass on social media or any other major public platform. Are you being an ass in a way that ostensibly goes against the principles espoused by your institution?

Congratulations, you're probably going to end up out of a job before too long.
Old Today, 09:01 PM

Elune

I bet you if WarCraft 3 came out this year, people would be bitching about how it's SJW bullshit and orcs being slaves was just contrived to push the SJW agenda.

Tags
realspace, serious business