Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft RTS Discussion

Old 05-04-2016, 01:52 PM

Elune

Panda Manual Custom Campaigns

Figured might as well start a thread for such a subject. Have any favorite campaigns to share?

I played today Curse of the Forsaken. The first two missions. Only so because they take a while to complete. It's a cool re-telling of post TFT stuff, although so far nothing major lore breaking like say, Ashbringer machinima. But the gameplay is really good. Like playing the original campaign all over. Great models and abilities for the units as well. The apothecaries look like grim reapers who use shadow bolts on distant enemies, and their scythes for melee combat. The dark rangers turn into banshees if they're killed. It's the little things...

In the second mission you ally with a worgen and also fight a worgen clan. Here's the worgen hero you can use. That was really fun.

Check the trailer too.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:39 PM

Chimaera

Rise of the Blood Elves is cool.

Same guys that made the Curse of the Forsaken, takes place before it.

I have finished it, by relentlessly cheating, because it seems that most of the maps require you to actually be good at the game :p. I am completely unable to manage multiple bases while being under attack from every fucking direction. Most of them also take a lot of time.

Dialogues are the weakest link, AI can be a bit weird at time, but overall an astonishing level of work and care must have been put into it.

There are custom models and skins for buildings and units everywhere, and they look fantastic. Maps are awesome too. Loved the Outland one with the Mana Domes. Really cool looking. Nice little touches everywhere.

And frankly it felt like a pretty satisfying joint between the end of TFT and "Oh look, blood elves are magically back in Quel'Thalas".

I've played the first four chapters of Curse of the Forsaken, and it's pretty much in line with Rise of the Blood Elves. Dialogues not so great, everything else : fucking amazing.

And yeah, the dark ranger unit is cool. You can upgrade them latter to make them spawn with a pet spider, isn't that adorable ?

I am floored by the level of quality and amount of content of those two campaigns. Really really cool.
Old 05-04-2016, 03:11 PM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Is there a custom gnoll campaign?
Old 05-04-2016, 03:43 PM

Chimaera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
There are multiplayer maps with custom races that include gnolls, but I don't know of any campaigns.

Clash of the Creeps and Rise of the Creeps .

The second one has glorious boar riding gnolls.
Old 05-04-2016, 04:53 PM

Elune

Yep the dialogue is the weakest part but the gameplay makes up for it. Will definitely check the blood elf one after I'm done with Sylvie.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:27 PM

Eternal

Rise of the blood elves is indeed awesome, even though the dialogue bugs me. Still, great everything else, even if it requires that you be good at the game =). I'm not so I used cheats for some of the last missions.

Dwarf Campaign is simply amazing and a must for any dwarf fans. Story, dialogue, gameplay are among the best I've ever seen in a custom campaign, and I'd honestly argue that it beats some of blizz' own stuff. Though if you're not an excellent player you'll be VERY tempted to use cheats. Also has gnolls

The Last Druid is another good one. Easier to complete and with very nice story and dialogue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
And Lordaeron

ffs I'm the only one who cares aren't I

Last edited by Royalpimp; 05-04-2016 at 05:36 PM..
Old 05-04-2016, 06:23 PM

Well, OutsiderXE's campaigns are worth mentioning. He made campaign version of several Warcraft novels:

The Last Guardian

Day of the Dragon

Lord of the Clans

I am handclaw and this is my favorite thread on Scrolls of Lore!... oh wait, nope... Just another bitching thread.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:37 PM

World Builder

Makes me wish id been able to get my edits working T.T

Could never get the unit editor to work right

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 05-05-2016, 10:29 PM

Dryad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
I've played one which was pretty nice. It was a while ago though so I don't remember the name, sorry
Old 06-11-2016, 03:34 PM

Elune

I finally had more time to play the Forsaken campaign. I won't list every mission I played but I'll do a summary of what has happened so far...

So anyway, the Forsaken purge the Scarlets from Lordaeron. Then Varimathras betrays Sylvanas as in WOTLK. Then we get a WC3 rendition of the WOTLK cinematic. Sylvanas goes to Orgrimmar to ask for aid, when suddenly the Scourge attacks the city, and we have to defend it. Holy fuck was it hard. They came from everywhere... We learn later Stormwind was attacked at the same time but don't remember how.
Then the Horde goes to retake Undercity. We fight for a while around the city, destroying the bases of Varimathras and killing his four horsemen, I mean generals. They have some great models. 3 of them are women.
Two look like succubi wearing crowns and jewelry, one is a drider, and the other has a flaming skull, wears plate, and wields a giant axe. Anyway, we kill them, retake Undercity as per WOTLK, though no Putress. Varian comes at the end and yada yada.

We finally sail to Northrend and spend a while destroying loads of undead bases. The Alliance and the Kirin Tor come to Northrend too. Now follow two of my favorite missions:

We cut to Jaina and Vereesa. They want to talk to the red dragonflight, but we also get a sidequest where the blood elves found Quel'delar. Now in this we only get the heroes and a few additional troops. I saved the troops and let the heroes kill most of the enemies. I found an ankh of reincarnation and decided to take it, why not?! I did the blood elf side quest to restore the blade, and the tasks involved going through San'layn forces. Lana'thel shows up too similarly as she did in WOTLK. I liked her look here. More sinister and doesn't have that silly collar. And her wings are black.
Anyway, at the end we have to kill Lana'thel as the blade leads us to her. I used my troops for this fight. Had no other chance to kill her since she's surrounded by many San'layn. Lost quite a bunch... Then we go to the dragons and they can't help us, yada yada, let's do some scouting. We find a small undead base, guarding a gate, and I slowly destroy it with my heroes. Then we enter a place and it's pretty much the Halls of Reflection instance. I barely had any troops left. So the cutscene with Uther happens, Arthas comes in and summons Falric and Marwyn with a bunch of ghouls. Jaina runs for him and I'm left with Vereesa, Lor'themar, and the raggedy troops. FUCK
Thank god for Lor'themars OP spells which made quick work of the enemies. We then run into Jaina defending herself from Arthas. And same old shtick where we have to escape from him. BUUUUT, Jaina doesn't freeze him, he's not as slow as in the instance and his attacks are fucking fast and powerful. AND we have to destroy the ice walls while defending ourselves from the undead troops. FUCK. Thank god for Jaina's spell which knocks enemies and I used it on Arthas a lot. She was also getting hit the most. Heroes aren't allowed to die in this so if I didn't have that Ankh I'd have been royally screwed. I lost my troops to Arthas though. Sorry nameless knight and blood elf sorceress, you'll be free from Frostmourne soon! The Alliance saves us and we cut to Quel'thalas where the blade is restored.

Now for the second favorite mission, the log text says both Horde and the Alliance were fighting the undead but were losing and retreated to Azjol Nerub. We see Thrall and Garrosh in the tunnels, getting ambushed and captured. We then cut to Varian, a footman, and a priest fighting undead. We use them for now. Now the cool thing about this mission is that Azjol Nerub is darker than dark, and your source of light is a torch Varian carries. Meanwhile a horror track is playing. Add the low number of troops combined with the large number of undead nerubians and it makes for a great horror atmosphere. We eventually free both Thrall and Garrosh, kill Anub'arak and escape to the surface. Not much happens but the gameplay is great combined with the amazing atmosphere.
Old 06-14-2016, 02:29 PM

Elune

Warcraft: Humans

The original WC1 Human campaign remade with the WC3 engine. Nothing extra added, no heroes, troops and buildings look exactly as in the original, the gameplay is almost the same, same music etc. If you ever wanted to play WC1 now here's your chance. Careful with the troops, they're very squishy.

There's a remake of the orc campaign by the same guy but I want to finish this one first. Medivh was hard as shit to kill.
Old 12-17-2016, 03:29 AM

Elune

Just popping in to advertise two campaigns:

Day of the Dragon
Lord of the clans

Playing as Vereesa partnered with Falstad was a lot of fun. As well as playing as Durotan in Lotc.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:08 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post

Playing as Vereesa partnered with Falstad was
Old 05-01-2017, 01:06 PM

The Sun King

The Enhanced WC3 Campaigns are a must.

So is Coming of the Horde, developed by one of SoLers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalpimp View Post
THIS is one of the best WC3 things ever. It's an old work, very much pre-WoW in spirit, and it really shows: the atmosphere of the all-powerful, ever striking Scourge/Legion is showing. Also one of the first fan theories on what could the Old Gods be, and its somehow even more Lovecraftian than the official version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by handclaw View Post
All wonderful works.

EDIT:

Quote:
Just popping in to advertise two campaigns:

Day of the Dragon
Lord of the clans

Playing as Vereesa partnered with Falstad was a lot of fun. As well as playing as Durotan in Lotc.
Waaaaait, what the hell. He remade Lord of the Clans campaign completely? Looking at youtube, he did, and how!

I remember playing the version that had Thrall with a modified Grunt model for the most of campaign, but now he's even more unique, and there is a Shadow Council cinematic, and a Durotan level? Holy shit, THINGS CHANGE

...But that new model for Orgrim is just terrible.

Last edited by Kir the Wizard; 05-01-2017 at 01:20 PM..
Old 05-01-2017, 03:02 PM

Banished

I remember back in the day when I figured the Legion and Scourge killed the Eastern continent so I was thrown off by seeing Stormwind and Ironforge in Vanilla.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:40 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almed View Post
I remember back in the day when I figured the Legion and Scourge killed the Eastern continent so I was thrown off by seeing Stormwind and Ironforge in Vanilla.
I'll never understand people saying this. We knew that Stormwind would serve the capital of humanity even before Warcraft III came out. It was mentioned in several previews, and Elwynn was among the very first zones created and previewed.

Moreover, seeing how there was a ton of concept art made for Stormwind, while none for Theramore, and seeing how Theramore was not even mentioned in the concept maps, it's extremely likely that Theramore was an afterthought crafted to seed the conflict in The Frozen Throne, and that the Kalimdor survivors of Lordaeron were formerly supposed to settle in Azeroth after the Third War.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:26 PM

Arch-Druid

I always wonder if this map implies humans would have two starting zones, one in Stormwind and one in Dalaran.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:32 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenyaArikado View Post
By which you mean... there was a whole lot in that campaign more enjoyable than a Windrunner and a Wildhammer?
Old 05-02-2017, 01:31 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethenil View Post
I always wonder if this map implies humans would have two starting zones, one in Stormwind and one in Dalaran.
Possibly two capitals.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:04 AM

The Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
Possibly two capitals.
Maybe high elves?
Old 05-02-2017, 08:09 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir the Wizard View Post
Maybe high elves?
The map says "(humans)" next to Dalaran, so that does not seem likely.
Old 05-02-2017, 12:20 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Warcraft: Humans

The original WC1 Human campaign remade with the WC3 engine. Nothing extra added, no heroes, troops and buildings look exactly as in the original, the gameplay is almost the same, same music etc. If you ever wanted to play WC1 now here's your chance. Careful with the troops, they're very squishy.

There's a remake of the orc campaign by the same guy but I want to finish this one first. Medivh was hard as shit to kill.
Would've been fun to have a WC3 mission or two without heroes. Really changes the game.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:26 AM

The Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
Would've been fun to have a WC3 mission or two without heroes. Really changes the game.
There are already WC2 remake campaigns on HIVE. Also with almost the same mechanics.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:48 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir the Wizard View Post
There are already WC2 remake campaigns on HIVE. Also with almost the same mechanics.
I don't think that's what AdmiralGrackle () meant, I think he was talking about Warcraft III as it is, just without heroes.

I once played a map with a similar idea, and it really did change the game. Heroic units were still there, although they could not level (their power being adequate to their classic level one setup), you could only choose one of them per game, and their abilities were toned down heavily. On the other hand, they shared upgrades with normal units. And on top of that, the map lacked creeps and had higher population limits.

I might try recreating it, it was really interesting actually.
Old 05-06-2017, 01:32 AM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
I'll never understand people saying this. We knew that Stormwind would serve the capital of humanity even before Warcraft III came out. It was mentioned in several previews, and Elwynn was among the very first zones created and previewed.

Moreover, seeing how there was a ton of concept art made for Stormwind, while none for Theramore, and seeing how Theramore was not even mentioned in the concept maps, it's extremely likely that Theramore was an afterthought crafted to seed the conflict in The Frozen Throne, and that the Kalimdor survivors of Lordaeron were formerly supposed to settle in Azeroth after the Third War.
I did say "back in the day." But sure, I guess Theramore being a late put-in would address how neglected it was in WoW until it got blown up.

Tags
mods, warcraft 3