Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Blizzard Discussion > Overwatch Discussion

Old 01-10-2017, 01:22 PM

Elune

chocolates.
“Disguised in a handlebar mustache with a ten gallon hat hanging low against his brow, Loki moseyed into Odin's party, despite the fact that he wasn't invited. Being dressed like Juan Valdez in a room full of people dawning Viking braids and pointy horned hats, however, tended to call attention to oneself. Odin's wife, Frigg, noticed Loki the moment that he stepped through the door, “What the Hel are you doing here? You weren't invited.”
Old 01-10-2017, 04:05 PM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post

Goddamnit Blizzard, get your shit together.
It's been established they are just making it up as they go along, that's proven to be such a successful formula with other games they have done. In reality none of this really matters because it's a game in which lore and story are barely relevant in the product itself.
"I always thought people were essentially bright. Distracted, sure, and weak, and beaten, but never stupid. And then you show them, here's the two people who want to be president. One is evil, but you can deal with him, because he actually harbors beliefs. The other one will tell any lie, wear any mask, to become president, and not only that, he fucking hates you, and he's doing this just so he can make your lives hell. And who do you think they vote for? Stupid."

Last edited by Sonneillon; 01-10-2017 at 04:11 PM..
Old 01-10-2017, 04:18 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It's been established they are just making it up as they go along, that's proven to be such a successful formula with other games they have done. In reality none of this really matters because it's a game in which lore and story are barely relevant in the product itself.
I think it was a mistake for Blizzard to bother fleshing out the backstories beyond the bare minimum. A lot of Overwatch fans prefer to write it in themselves.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 01-10-2017, 05:25 PM

Elune

I would like alternate voices for some of the skins.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:57 PM

World Builder

Since Blizz scrapped the origin-omnic crisis comic in order to revise the story, I hope they do more detail and PVE stuff soon

Would be neat to see something like this explored

http://teenalphabro.tumblr.com/post/...-about-gabriel

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 01-14-2017, 06:54 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by HlaaluStyle View Post
I think it was a mistake for Blizzard to bother fleshing out the backstories beyond the bare minimum. A lot of Overwatch fans prefer to write it in themselves.
I wouldn't mind if they just took the Metroid and Zelda route and made the characters self-inserts. Those games still have settings and stories but neither character has much in the way of personality. No one decided to imply Link was a homosexual or hated Donald Trump or capitalism or anything like that.
Old 01-14-2017, 07:54 AM

Eternal

I'd dislike that route, personally. I like my characters to have...well, character. Personality. The colourful characters are on of Overwatch major strengths, and I don't think it would be so popular if all characters would be bland self-inserts without any personality.
Old 01-14-2017, 08:00 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
I wouldn't mind if they just took the Metroid and Zelda route and made the characters self-inserts. Those games still have settings and stories but neither character has much in the way of personality. No one decided to imply Link was a homosexual or hated Donald Trump or capitalism or anything like that.
That might work for mute protagonists of single-player games, but for multiplayer games where you can choose to play as characters that have interacted with each other and the world in the backstory it makes no sense at all. There's also the fact that it's a TF2 rip-off and TF2 has a cast of very well-defined characters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saranus View Post
We need our daily forum reminder that Yaska is a serious manly man who thinks about and does very manly things all the time and is not secretly gay at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
When the unlimited breadsticks reach their limit and the bottomless salad its bottom, a great calamity shall pass through the barren garden of olives. Omacron shall be its name! Woe to you, sons of Tuscany! Woe to you, sons of Sicily!
Old 01-14-2017, 08:27 AM

Elune

I like Blizzard's art team and world building but I have begun to find their story telling atrocious.

Mercy is cool as a physician that dresses up as an angel and even the parts of her doing medical experiments to make her self younger and revive people are okay. If they did anything it would probably be cringy and corny.

This is especially difficult because Overwatch is only about 50 years removed from the real world. Soldier 76 would be joining the US military in the next few years in the real world. Is Mei going to make references to the Chinese government because whether or not it is still communist would be extremely political. They aren't going to be able to go too in depth.
Old 01-14-2017, 08:31 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You can still tell things about silent protagonists though.

Like Samus, she's an orphaned woman who's been in the military and has super alien combat training and decided to be a bounty hunter for her profession.

Part of the reason people didn't like other M is because people could tell, even for a formerly silent protagonist, that didn't feel like her.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 01-15-2017, 02:49 PM

Priestess of the Moon

Are they adding in new voice lines with the patches? D.va just said, "The destruction caused by the omnics here... it reminds me of home." in Volskaya. I've never heard that line before.
Old 01-15-2017, 02:51 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltongue View Post
you're the edgemaster 9000 with the leet memes who's close second to Gurzog in shitposting.

Old 01-15-2017, 02:57 PM

Elune

I want reaperdog now.
“Disguised in a handlebar mustache with a ten gallon hat hanging low against his brow, Loki moseyed into Odin's party, despite the fact that he wasn't invited. Being dressed like Juan Valdez in a room full of people dawning Viking braids and pointy horned hats, however, tended to call attention to oneself. Odin's wife, Frigg, noticed Loki the moment that he stepped through the door, “What the Hel are you doing here? You weren't invited.”
Old 01-19-2017, 12:00 AM

Lord of the
Assassin's League

Well I really didn't think Lunar Newyear was going to be a thing... colour me surprised. Finally people can shut up about Mei not being Chinese enough and Traditional Korean D'va is kinda nifty. I'm really not sure what else we will be seeing though given the other cultures present in the characters. Japan doesn't really celebrate it so, Hanzo and Genji are out. Surely there must be more skins than just the two though given that this will be a few weeks. I assume we are getting a Lijiang tower brawl as well.
"I always thought people were essentially bright. Distracted, sure, and weak, and beaten, but never stupid. And then you show them, here's the two people who want to be president. One is evil, but you can deal with him, because he actually harbors beliefs. The other one will tell any lie, wear any mask, to become president, and not only that, he fucking hates you, and he's doing this just so he can make your lives hell. And who do you think they vote for? Stupid."
Old 01-19-2017, 05:26 AM

Warden
BattleTag: Joeygiggles#1104

Quote:
Well I really didn't think Lunar Newyear was going to be a thing... colour me surprised. Finally people can shut up about Mei not being Chinese enough and Traditional Korean D'va is kinda nifty. I'm really not sure what else we will be seeing though given the other cultures present in the characters. Japan doesn't really celebrate it so, Hanzo and Genji are out. Surely there must be more skins than just the two though given that this will be a few weeks. I assume we are getting a Lijiang tower brawl as well.
Wait a sec they have a Lunar Newyear thing for OW?
Old 01-19-2017, 07:52 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
LUNAR New Year makes me hope for a Winston skin, since he's from the moon. We're currently in the year of the monkey going into year of the rooster, so maybe he'll get a skin?

EDIT: Come to think of it, maybe we can expect skins for characters based off the different zodiac animals?

Rat: Junkrat
Ox: Reinhardt?
Tiger: Kinda hard, no one's really cat themed. Maybe Zarya?
Rabbit: D.Va
Dragon: Hanzo and Genji
Snake: If one of the Shimada bros. is dragon, the other may be snake? Or maybe Reaper, Symmetra or Zenyatta could be the snake as well.
Horse: Another tough one, but for some reason I'm feeling Torbjorn or Bastion as horse for some reason
Goat: Reinhardt would also fit here, too, as would Torb
Monkey: Winston
Rooster: Pharah
Dog: McCree or Reaper give me a dog vibe for some reason
Pig: Roadhog

Last edited by Omacron; 01-19-2017 at 07:56 AM..
Old 01-19-2017, 07:54 AM

Warden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
LUNAR New Year makes me hope for a Winston skin, since he's from the moon. We're currently in the year of the monkey going into year of the rooster, so maybe he'll get a skin?
I feel as if Winston already has a good amount of skins and maybe spread out the Legendary skins to other heroes
Old 01-19-2017, 09:30 AM

Lord of the
Assassin's League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeygiggles View Post
I feel as if Winston already has a good amount of skins and maybe spread out the Legendary skins to other heroes
You are joking right? The Yeti skin is the first skin he's gotten since launch and that brought him up to the same amount as the other least skinned heroes.

This is the current lineup:
Ana: 12 Skins (Halloween)
Bastion: 13 Skins (Halloween) (Blizzcon) (Origins)
D.va: 12 Skins (Summer Games)
Genji: 13 Skins (Summer Games) (Heroes of the Storm)
Hanzo: 12 Skins (Halloween)
Junkrat: 12 Skins (Halloween+)
Lucio: 13 Skins (Summer Games+ X2) (Christmas)
McCree: 13 Skins (Summer Games) (Christmas)
Mei: 12 Skins (Christmas+)
Mercy: 13 Skins (Summer Games) (Halloween+)
Pharah: 14 Skins (Halloween) (Origins) (Christmas)
Reaper: 14 Skins (Halloween+) (Origins) (Christmas)
Reinhardt: 14 Skins (Halloween)
Roadhog: 13 Skins (Halloween+) (Christmas)
Soldier 76: 13 Skins (Halloween) (Origins)
Symmetra: 12 Skins (Halloween)
Torbjörn: 13 Skins (Summer Games) (Christmas+)
Tracer: 15 Skins (Summer Games+ X2) (Origins) (Christmas+)
Widowmaker: 13 Skins (Summer Games)
Winston: 12 Skins (Christmas+)
Zarya: 13 Skins (Summer Games+ X2) (Christmas)
Zenyata: 13 Skins (Halloween) (Christmas+)
Sombra: 12 Skins (Christmas)

with D.Va and Mei both getting Legendary skins this event previously sitting at the 12 mark that brings them up to 13 total skins. Sombra, Winston, Symmetra, Junkrat, Hanzo and Ana are the ones currently falling behind.

Last edited by Sonneillon; 01-19-2017 at 09:43 AM..
Old 01-19-2017, 10:00 AM

Warden

Eh its probably because Ive got most of em that it feels that way my bad
Old 01-19-2017, 01:12 PM

Priestess of the Moon

I.. I've been using my credits because I didn't think they'd have skins available for the lunar new year and thought it'd be a while till we get new skins... like they said.... :')
Old 01-19-2017, 01:14 PM

Banished
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

Sun wukong skin for winston = yes plz.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:48 PM

Priestess of the Moon

People not knowing to choose Winston or Pharah to counter an all Symmetra team raise my blood pressure.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:52 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
That might work for mute protagonists of single-player games, but for multiplayer games where you can choose to play as characters that have interacted with each other and the world in the backstory it makes no sense at all. There's also the fact that it's a TF2 rip-off and TF2 has a cast of very well-defined characters.
I can't speak for TF2, but Overwatch's characters aren't particularly deep. They're just bundles of traits, many of which are relayed through appearance and catchphrase.

It's really best to let the fans tell the story here, I think.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 01-20-2017, 07:34 AM

Eternal

You really cant trust Blizzard to tell a decent story anymore.

Unless they get someone that isn't culturally aligned with them.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:56 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HlaaluStyle View Post
I can't speak for TF2, but Overwatch's characters aren't particularly deep. They're just bundles of traits, many of which are relayed through appearance and catchphrase.

It's really best to let the fans tell the story here, I think.
Eh, I don't think that's entirely fair, but what in your opinion separates a bundle of traits from depth?

My Worldbuilding:

Tags
blizzard, kid stuff, not dark and edgy, over n under, pew pew!, pixar called, vidja games