Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 09-25-2017, 06:55 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitrix View Post
Well, Ironforge will fall under the rule of Dagran once he's old enough so Moira is an hypocrite for saying the kingdom must be ruled by the three clans. Or is it stated that even with Dagran, the Bronzebeard and Wildhammer will have their seats on a council as co-rulers? He's the heir to both the Bronzebeard and Dark Iron but Magni and his brothers are still alive.

The strangest position is the Wildhammer one. Even if their territory is or isn't in the kingdom, it's strange for them to insist so much on wanting to live and have a say in the rule of Ironforge when they've been pretty happy the last 300 years on their own (remember, the Bronzebeard invited them to live there after the war with the Dark Iron and they refused).
Moira's conviction to preserve the role of the Three Hammers in Fault Lines makes me think that the story is starting to move in a different direction. Moira isn't positioning Junior to become the next king of Ironforge, but perhaps to be the next generation's Dark Iron representative.

It's a notable choice here because Moira is essentially the one advocating for a progressive position while both Falstad (subtext of his dialogue: "stuff might change, but how?") and Muradin (subtext: "things go back to how they were, hashtag deal with it") are more conservative. Moira is largely the focal character of the comic, so that makes sense, but it's also important that while previous works have given the impression that Moira is tolerating the Council until she meets Varian's requirement of earning sovereignty over the dwarves, Fault Lines is orienting her to be someone who has taken to her role as part of a new system AND is committed to preserving the new normal.

Lore Observation, Systems Design, and other science dropped at Power Word: Remix

Expect nothing and anything will surprise you.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:59 PM

Arch-Druid

Sequel to the old thread about Andruin.

Garrosh is the hero now. MMO-C never changes, hehe.
Old 09-30-2017, 04:28 PM

Eternal

Was wondering, how long did N'zoth use the Nightmare for? In Stormrage he seems to be the one in control as Malfurion mentions an evil beneath the seas, and it takes place during Wrath but no specific time frame is given.

Could it be possible the reason the Nightmare made its move back then is that Yogg-saron was defeated so N'zoth had free control over it?
Old 09-30-2017, 06:00 PM

Arch-Druid

My theory is that the Nightmare grew in strength from something unnoticeable to the druids to a real threat because of Nordrassil's loss of power, combined with the Legion empowering and emboldening Satyrs, servants of the Nightmare. Moreover, the growing of Teldrassil served as a perfect conduit into the Dream for those who sought to corrupt it.

All this was under the command of Yogg-Saron. This is the "green" Nightmare, with its snake thematics and such. The commanders of the Nightmare is the corrupted Eranikus.

Then, with Yogg's death, N'Zoth takes over and launches the true attack, deploying his champion Xavius, resulting in the events of Stormrage. Still, he was based upon Yogg's work.

Only after this defeat does N'Zoth mold the Nightmare in his image, deploying Il'gynoth, and giving it the red tint we see in Legion.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:12 AM

Arch-Druid

Why is one of Loken's iron dwarves a warrior follower? What's his story?
Old 10-01-2017, 09:42 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterisk View Post
Why is one of Loken's iron dwarves a warrior follower? What's his story?
The Armies of Iron are now under the control of the loyalist Watchers. He joins the warrior champion once they set out to aid and recruit Ulduar's forces.

Edit:
IIRC, we're not actually told how Thorim gained control of them. However, I believe that many of Loken's followers were loyal to him because they believed him to be Azeroth's Prime Designate and not because they themselves were also corrupted. That would also explain why he exiled earlier generations/races of titanforged. They knew the truth and could have uncovered his deceit.

Alternatively, they were all scrapped and re-forged from scratch.

Last edited by Nazja; 10-01-2017 at 10:00 AM..
Old 10-06-2017, 09:55 PM

Site Staff - Moderator
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

Neat little touch I noticed when I was leveling an alt through Highmountain.

One of the taunts some Drogbar can shout out when you aggro them has them instructing you to go "kiss a Tauren". It's just nice to see a little bit of variety in enemy taunts.
Old 11-04-2017, 01:04 AM

Eternal

Funny how while Tandred and his lady friend Mishan Waycrest died with the RPG, they sort of made it to canon in other forms.

The SoL Bunch:

Warcraft 3 Resource Discussion: (The Hive Workshop, Warcraft 3 Campaigns)
MOBA Overload!
Old 11-14-2017, 08:30 AM

Keeper of the Grove

So I brought back one of my old RP sets and characters for a night. Got pleasant reception among the WRA community, it seemed. If anyone is out and about there (or Moon Guard, even) send me a PM and come say hi!

The character in particular is a Dragonmaw warrior. I created him in middle BC, but stopped shortly before Cataclysm (a shame, given all the potential development between then and now). He's fun, easy to enjoy - something I tune into when it's time to relax a while. Without doing any sort of post-humus development RP, I'd like to try and round him out. To that end, I have one pertinent question about his design and I need lore nerds to help!

First, his armor is a set of red dragonscale. Spoopy. I like that, it's kind of edgy, it turns off the snowflakes of the Horde. That I gotta keep. But the armor comes with a dragonfang warblade, enchanted with the soul of a red dragon that he'd slain. Sorta like Tarecgosa's Rest, but with bloodstains. I guess my first question is how the recent changes in the Aspects might affect that. Would this enchantment hold, given the events of Cataclysm?
Old 11-14-2017, 10:10 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

I'm on WrA too, drop me a line whenever.

As to your question: souls are still powerful, and dragons are still powerful, so a dragon's soul should still be powerful. The five aspects are the ones who sacrificed most of their power and immortality, but non-aspect dragons don't seem to be effected much. Look at Senegos in Aszuna for a good example of a powerful non-aspect dragon; while he's on death's door he's still got enough mojo to empower our artifacts, and that's basically what you're doing with your dragon fang sword.

I also whipped up a red dragon themed mog for my warrior a while back if you want to take a peek at it for some inspiration.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:58 PM

World Builder

Cool concept Hagrid, hopefully they'll add dragonmaw tattoos in due time since with the allied races and straight backed orcs we might see better character customization

I need to dig up that battletag thread so I can pal around with yall on Wyrmrest since that's where I'm basing my Alliance alts, and may move Horde over there too over time

Got Biffby the Gnome hunter [raised by dwarf mountaineers], Yunzheng the Pandaren Monk, and Larsen the worgen rogue [former gilnean brigand]

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 11-14-2017, 04:08 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

that sounds snowflakey and suey... slightly suey.
Btag is Hulk#23939
Old 11-14-2017, 05:15 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurzog View Post
Which one?

My Worldbuilding:
Old 11-14-2017, 10:04 PM

Quote:
When your average paladin is running around with the Ashbringer I don't think having powerful gear like trapping the soul of a dragon stretches disbelief.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:29 PM

Keeper of the Grove

Quote:
You're right, it's actually part of the reason I put this guy on the back burner for so many years. I suppose I could retcon the soul bit, let him just be waving a dragonfang around and still get the same effect.

Thanks, Gurzog.

Edit: What properties, if any, would that sort of weapon have? I'm sure a dragon fang behaves a little differently than a piece of iron.

Last edited by Hagrid; 11-15-2017 at 08:54 PM..
Old 11-17-2017, 07:45 PM

Eternal

If Illidan was an edgy good guy after all, then does that mean Vashj's and Kargath's murders were sort of unwarranted?

The SoL Bunch:

Warcraft 3 Resource Discussion: (The Hive Workshop, Warcraft 3 Campaigns)
MOBA Overload!
Old 11-17-2017, 07:56 PM

Owl Scout

They weren't?
Old 11-17-2017, 08:22 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ujimasa Hojo View Post
If Illidan was an edgy good guy after all, then does that mean Vashj's and Kargath's murders were sort of unwarranted?
That depends on whether you still think he and his followers were justified in their treatment of Outland's inhabitants when we've since found out it was all done to support an arrogant and under-informed plan that was doomed to fail.

Knowing what we know now, if they'd invaded Argus the way they invaded Nathreza like he planned, the Illidari would have gotten wrecked by Kil'jaeden, entire fleets of Legion ships and possibly even Aggramar (hard to place an exact timetable on just when he was actually corrupted and revived), with Antorus allowing the Legion's forces to regenerate any losses they took on Argus indefinitely.

Moreover, one of the raid bosses in Antorus summons reinforcements from Nathreza, indicating that even his invasion there fell short, as his parting spell failed to destroy it like he planned.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:36 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Night Elf Icon (War3) Look at those leaps!

Avianna considers druids of the talon, like Thisalee, her hatchlings.

Another Wild God turns night elves into her subjects, the wisps, upon death.

Wouldn't it be great if night elven druids of the talon are reborn as harpies?
Old 11-20-2017, 12:44 PM

Arch-Druid

Is this a dark troll, you think? He's on Hyjal.

Old 11-20-2017, 02:13 PM

Faerie Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterisk View Post
Is this a dark troll, you think? He's on Hyjal.

Personally, I still think they (along with the removed Dark Strand Enforcers) are more likely from the Shatterspear tribe, and thus gray-skinned jungle trolls rather than dark trolls.

I think it's even more probable that it's just an error on Blizzard's part, though.

Avatar by Baldi Konijn. Previous avatars: 1, 2
Old 11-20-2017, 04:55 PM

Arch-Druid

I remember Dark Trolls being a bit slimmer. And darker skinned.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Targaryen View Post
I remember Dark Trolls being a bit slimmer. And darker skinned.
If anything they'd be even bigger than jungle trolls.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:46 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
If anything they'd be even bigger than jungle trolls.
Blizz waffled on that in Chronicle and made them super peaceful nelf predecessors instead of the brutes they were always alluded as before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe Stormstout View Post
Personally, I still think they (along with the removed Dark Strand Enforcers) are more likely from the Shatterspear tribe, and thus gray-skinned jungle trolls rather than dark trolls.

I think it's even more probable that it's just an error on Blizzard's part, though.
Why? We saw Shatterspear in Darkshore and they just looked like regular jungle trolls.

I'm still sad about that, such a waste of the dancing troll village.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 11-21-2017, 02:33 AM

Faerie Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Why? We saw Shatterspear in Darkshore and they just looked like regular jungle trolls.

I'm still sad about that, such a waste of the dancing troll village.
Well, the Shatterspear also have gray skin, and some players theorized they were actually dark trolls until Blizzard confirmed that they are jungle trolls in the Troll Compendium.
I suppose my reasoning is that while traditionally, the forest and ice trolls are the bulky-looking ones, the Cataclysm version of Zul'Gurub also has some bulky jungle trolls alongside the regular, skinny jungle trolls.

Though, since the bulky jungle trolls actually just use a forest troll model, it's probably either a developer error or something that Blizzard chose to do because the forest troll model was, at the time, of slightly higher quality than the regular vanilla-era troll model.

Avatar by Baldi Konijn. Previous avatars: 1, 2

Tags
go'el's gaol, high elf menopause, lore, lorebat, random, tubers, warcraft, world of warcraft